Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Capt_h2o

Poppy camo, is there one out there anywhere

59 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

694
[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles

With November 11th, remembrance day, coming up fast, does anyone know if there is a Poppy camo or even a Poppy flag available anywhere?

  • Cool 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,462
[SALVO]
Members
20,512 posts
20,355 battles

What are you talking about?  What do you mean by "Poppy"?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,325
[WOLFG]
Members
4,742 posts
2,655 battles
3 minutes ago, Crucis said:

What are you talking about?  What do you mean by "Poppy"?

It is a symbol of remembrance for those that died during WW1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,530 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

What are you talking about?  What do you mean by "Poppy"?

In the US the VFW hands out small red poppy flowers to people who give a donation. They hang out at busy areas like Walmart and malls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,798
[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
7,632 posts
11,696 battles

Nothing that I'm aware of, and that's a shame.

The 11th November is the 100th anniversary of the Armistice which (largely) ended World War I. I wear a poppy, but it's not a strong American or as far as I'm aware a Russian tradition.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,344
[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles

The poppy is a huge symbol in the commonwealth for remembering those who died

  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,462
[SALVO]
Members
20,512 posts
20,355 battles
22 minutes ago, Mainerd said:

In the US the VFW hands out small red poppy flowers to people who give a donation. They hang out at busy areas like Walmart and malls.

Ah.  Thanks for the info.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
55 posts
4,367 battles

Probably not the best idea unless they donate part of the proceeds, it could end like Tim Hortons poppy donuts fiasco.

Edited by Musouka

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
202
[WOLF5]
[WOLF5]
Members
591 posts
16,673 battles
1 hour ago, Crucis said:

What are you talking about?  What do you mean by "Poppy"?

In Flanders Fields

 
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
 
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie,
        In Flanders fields.
 
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
        In Flanders fields.
  • Cool 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
694
[NOBS]
Members
1,119 posts
8,277 battles
2 minutes ago, Musouka said:

Not the best idea unless they donate part of the proceeds, it could end like Tim Hortons poppy donuts fiasco.

I don't want to buy it, I donate to every person with Poppy's that I pass for the month of November. I'm just surprised that no one has made one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,388
[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,304 posts
7,310 battles

I always enjoy learning about the history of other countries and in particular the significance of the poppy and how it relates to the Armistice of World War I.

If I might make a proposal, for this coming Veteran's Day/Armistice Day, may you proudly wear the camo of your preferred nation as you take your vessel into battle this coming weekend and on November 12th (the observed day for Veteran's Day in the United States).

I will forward this information to the development team so we can explore possibilities in the future.

@Capt_h2o thank you for bringing this up and wish you and your fellow captains the very best as we honor all service men and women this coming Veteran's and Armistice Day.

"I have just taken on a great responsibility. I will do my utmost to meet it." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

  • Cool 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2,171
[WGA]
Administrator
933 posts
13,649 battles
2 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

With November 11th, remembrance day, coming up fast, does anyone know if there is a Poppy camo or even a Poppy flag available anywhere?

As an Australian, this makes me very happy that someone brought this up. 

For those who don't know: Remembrance Day is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth of Nations member states since the end of the First World War to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.

As Gneisenau013 mentioned talking to the Dev team about this, I'll for sure back him up on this! Hopefully we can maybe have something for next year :)

Fem, 

  • Cool 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3,344
[OO7]
Members
4,460 posts
11,021 battles

Yeah, the poppy is trademarked in certain countries, but if they worked it out with the trademark holders with proceeds going to veterans foundations, I'm all for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[NWNG]
Members
2,818 posts
4,677 battles
31 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

I always enjoy learning about the history of other countries and in particular the significance of the poppy and how it relates to the Armistice of World War I.

If I might make a proposal, for this coming Veteran's Day/Armistice Day, may you proudly wear the camo of your preferred nation as you take your vessel into battle this coming weekend and on November 12th (the observed day for Veteran's Day in the United States).

I will forward this information to the development team so we can explore possibilities in the future.

@Capt_h2o thank you for bringing this up and wish you and your fellow captains the very best as we honor all service men and women this coming Veteran's and Armistice Day.

"I have just taken on a great responsibility. I will do my utmost to meet it." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

November 11th is Veteran's Day, not 12th.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,388
[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
1,304 posts
7,310 battles
Just now, Counter_Gambit said:

November 11th is Veteran's Day, not 12th.

True, but it is also observed on the 12th since the 11th falls on a Sunday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
392
[UFFA]
[UFFA]
Members
1,421 posts
68 battles
1 hour ago, Ducky_shot said:

The poppy is a huge symbol in the commonwealth for remembering those who died

except some in N. Ireland. 
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/james-mcclean-wont-wear-poppy-13505008

 

The poppy mafia has also gotten out of control harassing those that won't wear it for various reasons.

 


Also just to be silly as always Italy is a bit different. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Unity_and_Armed_Forces_Day

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_of_Villa_Giusti

 

:Smile-_tongue:

Edited by Sparviero
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
754
[NWNG]
Members
2,818 posts
4,677 battles
1 minute ago, Gneisenau013 said:

True, but it is also observed on the 12th since the 11th falls on a Sunday.

Veteran's day has always had a 3 day weekend associated with it, if it falls on the weekend, or on the Firday before, or Monday After. So it's not that we observe Veteran's day on the 12th, it's just how things have been done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[CSALT]
Members
935 posts

11 Nov was observed in the US as Armastice Day until the creation of Veteran's Day here after the Korean War.  The idea was to change the day to memorialize all servicepeople who have given everything.

Having lived in the UK as well as Australia, I can say that the poppies are much more prevelant there than in the US.  We have them here, but not like in the Commonwealth countries.

 

PS- I think Poppy cammo would totally rock!

Edited by Gunga_Dinner
added postscript

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
2,567 posts
7,342 battles
36 minutes ago, Femennenly said:

As an Australian, this makes me very happy that someone brought this up. 

For those who don't know: Remembrance Day is a memorial day observed in Commonwealth of Nations member states since the end of the First World War to remember the members of their armed forces who have died in the line of duty.

As Gneisenau013 mentioned talking to the Dev team about this, I'll for sure back him up on this! Hopefully we can maybe have something for next year :)

Fem, 

137512669_15387332568951n.jpg

one only needs to gaze upon the Australian War Memorial to grasp the significance of the Flanders Poppy, one for every fallen World War 1 Digger

  • Cool 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
302
[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
1,261 posts
5,474 battles

I never heard of this until now but it is a most appropriate and thoughtful idea! I hope the dev team comes through on this and I'll proudly sail into battle with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,930
[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,860 posts
8,915 battles
3 hours ago, Capt_h2o said:

With November 11th, remembrance day, coming up fast, does anyone know if there is a Poppy camo or even a Poppy flag available anywhere?

400830_1-B.jpg?fv=CA31C1BEF585FB9CFBCDD9  something like this? because i looked it up and theres many different designs for the Poppy flag

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
198
[DRB]
[DRB]
Beta Testers
914 posts
5,530 battles
1 hour ago, Sparviero said:

except some in N. Ireland. 
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/james-mcclean-wont-wear-poppy-13505008

 

The poppy mafia has also gotten out of control harassing those that won't wear it for various reasons.

 


Also just to be silly as always Italy is a bit different. 

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Unity_and_Armed_Forces_Day

 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_of_Villa_Giusti

 

:Smile-_tongue:

Where do you see that? Where I live the vets just stand there quietly and those that want a poppy ask for and they are always polite and say "Thank you" and I respond "No. Thank you". I served form 84 -88 and saw no action but my dad was a WWII vet and he always bought one saying some didn't get lucky like he did.

I just checked your link.:fish_palm: 

Edited by Mainerd
  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×