You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
galspanic

Killer Whale - Why?

38 comments in this topic

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles

I started this week's Weekly Op with 3 subs, got the Seelowe, and yesterday finished the Killer Whale mission.  I played a couple games with it, it was strong, and that's it...  So, what is its point?  I can 5 star the mission with a team of Zippers and having this really strong sub doesn't really seem to give me any advantage, in terms of anything material.  I guess I just don't see what having this new dangled carrot does for me.  Is it so I can get five +50% first win bonuses instead of four?

• Boring 1

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles

Why are you complaining about more free content? More variety? 

Why do we have more than one nation in the game? Or more than just BBs?

Members
821 posts
6,988 battles
1 minute ago, Kapitan_Wuff said:

Why are you complaining about more free content? More variety? 

Why do we have more than one nation in the game? Or more than just BBs?

Where was I complaining?  I am asking what the purpose of this thing is - someone put a lot of time and energy into developing the Killer Whale for this event and I don't know why.  You cite variety, and typically that's where I fall back to as well.  But in this case, the mission is identical every time, the ships spawn at the same places, and regardless of team composition the Rasputin gets sunk right about the time you spot the castle and a little while after you spot the the 13th and 14th defensive structure.  Each of the subs offers slightly different things, but not enough to change the actual games.  I play it exactly the same way every time no matter which sub I'm in and it doesn't seem to matter.  I almost always end #1-#3 on Base XP and almost alway get 5-6 kills.  So yeah, vessel variety is important but only because it creates new game space to explore... these do not.

(Again, not complaining.  I have an interest in game theory and design and want to know WHY they took the approach they did.  I love being able to grind the **** out of my Elite Cpt XP pool and play this game mode a lot for that reason, but at the end of the day the "whys" haven't really been answered to me)

Members
1,156 posts
2,399 battles

Just one more ship to farm elite cap exp after you 5 star the OP that's the point. Also the mode is quite relaxing.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
5,863 posts
8,916 battles
26 minutes ago, BlackEagle117 said:

It will probably be a lot more useful when Hard Mode for that OP gets released tomorrow.

i dont think the hard mode will be as hard as people are thinking, iirc, Sunray in the Darknesses hard mode only had Rasputin and Gorgon healing a bit faster and that was it

Edited by tcbaker777

[RLGN]
Members
10,370 posts
19,664 battles
5 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

Just one more ship to farm elite cap exp after you 5 star the OP that's the point. Also the mode is quite relaxing.

Relaxing?

If by that you dull and boring then yeah.

Whatever it is about the controls and/or how I’m synaptically wired; I can’t stand the sub Op.

I’ve played it and 5*’d nine out of fifteen times with (only) Barracuda, (have and haven’t seen it as being worth trying three of the others,) but don’t see anything ‘fun’ or ‘enjoyable’ about the Op.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
249 posts
5,117 battles
14 minutes ago, tcbaker777 said:

i dont think the hard mode will be as hard as people are thinking, iirc, Sunray in the Darknesses hard mode only had Rasputin and Gorgon healing a bit faster and that was it

The PTS hard mode had a reduced timer on discovering the black fortress (or castle or whatever it's called) and more towers in awkward positions to find.  I think Rasputin also had more health and healed faster.  As long as someone was quick on getting fortress/castle, it didn't seem too bad.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,804 posts
7,044 battles
8 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

but don’t see anything ‘fun’ or ‘enjoyable’ about the Op.

It's a gigantic open alpha test for submarine control systems and weapon balance. They will crunch the numbers somehow in their secret farside moonbase and decide how to proceed on in-game balance from there.

1 minute ago, real_icebeast said:

As long as someone was quick on getting fortress/castle, it didn't seem too bad.

Where do I go to reliably find this? It seems more luck than skill for me right now.

[SYN]
Members
7,415 posts
12,523 battles
30 minutes ago, galspanic said:

Where was I complaining?  I am asking what the purpose of this thing is - someone put a lot of time and energy into developing the Killer Whale for this event and I don't know why.  You cite variety, and typically that's where I fall back to as well.  But in this case, the mission is identical every time, the ships spawn at the same places, and regardless of team composition the Rasputin gets sunk right about the time you spot the castle and a little while after you spot the the 13th and 14th defensive structure.  Each of the subs offers slightly different things, but not enough to change the actual games.  I play it exactly the same way every time no matter which sub I'm in and it doesn't seem to matter.  I almost always end #1-#3 on Base XP and almost alway get 5-6 kills.  So yeah, vessel variety is important but only because it creates new game space to explore... these do not.

(Again, not complaining.  I have an interest in game theory and design and want to know WHY they took the approach they did.  I love being able to grind the **** out of my Elite Cpt XP pool and play this game mode a lot for that reason, but at the end of the day the "whys" haven't really been answered to me)

If I miss read the tone of your OP then I apologize, generally "what's the point' posts on the forums are complaining and I read this as such.

But the answer, beyond just giving players a little variety to enjoy and the coming hard mode which may require more specialization of player roles base on sub choice (killer whale clearly being the best of them all), is testing. The Halloween game mode is about testing new things. Having a variety of subs with different 'gimmicks' allows them to get a better feel for the test. 

Members
1,156 posts
2,399 battles
15 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Relaxing?

Whatever it is about the controls and/or how I’m synaptically wired; I can’t stand the sub Op.

I’ve played it and 5*’d nine out of fifteen times with (only) Barracuda, (have and haven’t seen it as being worth trying three of the others,) but don’t see anything ‘fun’ or ‘enjoyable’ about the Op.

I guess it being easy is what makes it relaxing to me. You must have had bad luck with you teams since the worse I did was 1 4 star out of ten matches.

[RLGN]
Members
10,370 posts
19,664 battles
19 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Where do I go to reliably find this? It seems more luck than skill for me right now.

If I’m understanding that your teams haven’t been spotting the castle?

I’ve seen it happen two ways; end runs around the far left or right by lone subs, (which also helps with spotting shore batteries,) and by hard pushing right up the middle.

[RLGN]
Members
10,370 posts
19,664 battles
16 minutes ago, Krupp_Sabot said:

I guess it being easy is what makes it relaxing to me. You must have had bad luck with you teams since the worse I did was 1 4 star out of ten matches.

Part of my problem seems to be an inability to use submergence well. I’ve had good damage games and died, or stayed hidden, then ran around the side for spotting and basically not much else.

I would have preferred WG went a more traditional route. German U-boats and American subs would run ahead of targets on the surface, then submerge and attack.

Enforced slow underwater speed should be the limitation, not O2.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
10,804 posts
7,044 battles
7 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

If I’m understanding that your teams haven’t been spotting the castle?

Most of the times they have been. Even my 7 year old daughter managed to five-star it with a bit of help from me and the rest of the team, but I was never sure whether the castle was being found through a deliberate thing I or someone else was doing, or through sheer dumb luck. I want to know what the reliable thing to do it every time is.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,055 posts

It's the 'Bleeding Edge' of technology here at WOWS. Glad you are on-board. They are reading your comments here and considering the next step in submarines... if any.

Members
397 posts
5 minutes ago, AVR_Project said:

It's the 'Bleeding Edge' of technology here at WOWS. Glad you are on-board. They are reading your comments here and considering the next step in submarines... if any.

I have boycotted the SUB Operations  I see no need to have them in this surface battle game. I will not play the subs in my port nor even look at them. Bad decision on the part of WG Dev's to even try.

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[H-WS]
Members
343 posts
5,489 battles
1 hour ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

Relaxing?

I had pretty much the same reaction. First time I played it, I got in Zipper and was looking forward to sneak attacking enemies, but it was just so boring to wait for the torp reload or wait to be close enough.  I remember the op ended and I actually though “that’s all?”

Edited by Horama
  • Cool 1

[RLGN]
Members
10,370 posts
19,664 battles
25 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Most of the times they have been. Even my 7 year old daughter managed to five-star it with a bit of help from me and the rest of the team, but I was never sure whether the castle was being found through a deliberate thing I or someone else was doing, or through sheer dumb luck. I want to know what the reliable thing to do it every time is.

True. I’m not entirely sure myself...

I would swear I should be spotting it; and nothing. Or there’s some great confused scrum around Rasputin in the middle of the bay and it suddenly gets spotted...

Some serious ‘WUT???’ going on about that...

[WOLF9]
Members
8,951 posts
4,184 battles
48 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

by hard pushing right up the middle.

The real reason to have Gerfalcon - IMO a difficult sub to play well.  By going for freezes instead of kills (which require the butt tubes) and staying submerged when possible, it can blow right through the evil baddies and spot the castle.  But usually we're fast enough to spot the castle from the furball around Rasputin.

Edited by iDuckman

[FYL]
Members
536 posts
2,203 battles

In the Gerfalcon, I was a big fan of rushing to attack, diving under the ship you just fired on and then pop up once you are past it (requires you to drop a few levels). Then just fire the rest out of your butt while you resupply on oxygen.

The Killer Whale, on the other hand, requires a ton of xp to unlock and requires way more scenario time than I want to play their scenario.

Edited by Tanuvein

[WOLF2]
Members
249 posts
5,117 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The castle can be spotted in 2 ways.  Killing Rasputin causes the castle to automatically spawn on the surface.  The other way is to get within ~4km and spot it underwater.  It cannot be spotted on the surface prior to Rasputin's death.  I'm not sure if periscope depth is sufficient but I always do a full dive around 5km to minimize any incoming damage.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,022 posts
9,442 battles
2 hours ago, galspanic said:

I started this week's Weekly Op with 3 subs, got the Seelowe, and yesterday finished the Killer Whale mission.  I played a couple games with it, it was strong, and that's it...  So, what is its point?  I can 5 star the mission with a team of Zippers and having this really strong sub doesn't really seem to give me any advantage, in terms of anything material.  I guess I just don't see what having this new dangled carrot does for me.  Is it so I can get five +50% first win bonuses instead of four?

Some of that, however, it's also because this event itself is a ground test on subs as a whole as a potential future addition to the game. Figuring out mechanics, how well ships work, balance things, etc. Example the fact that Zipper with 2 tubes has a 40 second reload, which hambers it's offense a bit too much, while in that interim ships like Seelowe, killer whale and Barracuda I think I have multiple tubes filled at the same reload so they can store more and have better offense. Are secondaries useful, range, like any other event or premium it's a testbed for things. 

• Cool 1

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,022 posts
9,442 battles
2 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

It cannot be spotted on the surface prior to Rasputin's death. 

I routinely spot it around 5 km on the surface, with Rasputin still alive. Unless they changed it, which is possible because earlier Rasputin was being killed, but the castle was never spotted (why I was getting 4 stars for a while.

[WOLF2]
Members
249 posts
5,117 battles
6 minutes ago, WanderingGhost said:

I routinely spot it around 5 km on the surface, with Rasputin still alive. Unless they changed it, which is possible because earlier Rasputin was being killed, but the castle was never spotted (why I was getting 4 stars for a while.

It's hard to know exactly what you're experiencing.  The castle will spawn on the surface once detected regardless of if Rasputin is alive or dead.  As of Sunday, you still couldn't detect it unless you were underwater (again, I've never tested at periscope depth) at somewhere around 4k.  It's possible someone else spotted the castle and caused it to spawn.  It's possible you bobbed underwater briefly at the correct distance and caused it to spawn.  

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
4,022 posts
9,442 battles
22 minutes ago, real_icebeast said:

It's hard to know exactly what you're experiencing.  The castle will spawn on the surface once detected regardless of if Rasputin is alive or dead.  As of Sunday, you still couldn't detect it unless you were underwater (again, I've never tested at periscope depth) at somewhere around 4k.  It's possible someone else spotted the castle and caused it to spawn.  It's possible you bobbed underwater briefly at the correct distance and caused it to spawn.  

No, I was the only one in proximity, and had been forced to the surface due to lack of oxygen, to which my resurface is rapid because I almost never dive deep. I stay at periscope depth or surfaced unless a ship is way too close or dodging.