You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bailen

KotS o7 and Omni team comps

41 comments in this topic

[ARRGG]
Members
145 posts
4,801 battles

Just wanted to show the current meta from the King of the Sea team compositions:  

o7:  Midway, Monty, Monty, Wooster, Wooster, Henry, Henry, Hindy, and Gearing.  1 CV, 2 BB, 5 CL, and 1 DD.

OMNI:  Hakuryu, Yamato, Yamato, Wooster, Wooster, Minotaur, Minotaur, Gearing, and Harugumo.  1 CV, 2 BB, 4 CL, and 2 DD.  

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
776 posts
6,581 battles
3 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

That was the fifth battle on Tears of the Desert. Multiple compositions were used per map.

Indeed. OMNI even took out a Midway for one map. Very interesting final. Well played by both teams!!

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,172 posts
7,441 battles

I'm willing to bet the choice of ships also is due to the specific strategy that the team chose to employ. Henri IV is not really considered meta on NA, at least.

[NGAGE]
Supertester
2,088 posts
11,598 battles

There are also ship restrictions posed by the event itself to consider.

Members
1,454 posts
8,371 battles

there were more comps than that.  

I was suprised the Midway for 07 did as well as it did.   I guess if you can get 2-3 deletions  good strikes in the match, it can pay for itself.  the problem the midway had was lack of vision control throughout all of those matches.  there were certain points where none of OMNI were spotted.  There were plenty of strikes that got through as well, as they didn't control the skies.    They relied on their cruisers  woosters to help mitigate that.(plus the radar to help make up for lack of vision)  If they got a map that wasn't very friendly for the woosters, they struggled.(like that new version of north)

i think it also helped that the OMNI CV(fara?) didn't play that well imo.   So many meh strikes by him, or misplays in general.   His death in the 4th map was really bad.  was he rusty?  

• Cool 1

[NGAGE]
Clan Supertest Coordinator
4,437 posts
6,616 battles
38 minutes ago, Submarine_Wahoo said:

I'm willing to bet the choice of ships also is due to the specific strategy that the team chose to employ. Henri IV is not really considered meta on NA, at least.

The Henri was most likely brought out to counter the Stalingrads, which coupled with the rest of the lineup, proved so effective OMNI decided to abandon the Stalingrad entirely for the final battle.   

Edited by yashma
  • Cool 1

[SUCIT]
Members
1,035 posts
4,395 battles
55 minutes ago, Submarine_Wahoo said:

Let's wait and see what the meta is for Season 4 before we declare the Henri out of it.

[OO7]
Members
4,478 posts
11,039 battles
4 minutes ago, XpliCT_ said:

Let's wait and see what the meta is for Season 4 before we declare the Henri out of it.

Henri and hindy counter Stalingrad... 

[SUCIT]
Members
1,035 posts
4,395 battles
Just now, Ducky_shot said:

Henri and hindy counter Stalingrad... 

That's what I was driving at.  Henri is going to be a lot more viable than most realize.  

[CUTE]
[CUTE]
Supertester, In AlfaTesters
1,784 posts
9,629 battles

You can’t use what line up they used for what’s upcoming since there is more to it then what ships you use.... it takes lots of practice for not just the single player but for the whole team to pull off what PSV, Rain, Omni and 07 did for their sets.

[-AA-]
Members
1,756 posts
6,674 battles

As someone who plays on EU nowadays it looks like the Hindenburg is being exchanged for the HIV. The reload booster made it a really solid ship, because you can quickly spam HE shells at ships that used their dcp. Also lets not forget about the speed it has. On Sleeping Giant for example you can get a HIV in the A cap before a DD reaches it or at a similar time.

Regarding the Stalingrad being used I don't understand, because I am not a fan of the ship. In my eyes it is a great anti potato ship for the lower leagues and in Randoms, but when playing competitive I would have picked Moskva. Moskva is better against HE spam and has a better ROF with dispersion.

Edited by LemonadeWarrior

[ARRGG]
Members
145 posts
4,801 battles

What I found interesting was the dominance of the Wooster- I wonder if it will still be the go to ship after the radar nerf...  Obviously the top teams love the wooster!

[O7]
Alpha Tester, Alpha Tester
11,365 posts
8,084 battles
1 minute ago, Torpin said:

What I found interesting was the dominance of the Wooster- I wonder if it will still be the go to ship after the radar nerf...  Obviously the top teams love the wooster!

Radar was already nerfed.

The wooster was not brought for the radar really, it was mostly for the AA. Fara has a nice recap of his perspective playing as the OMNI CV and he has the best overview of why what we did worked. Nobody else really understands the reason for bringing the woosters.

• Cool 3

[ARRGG]
Members
145 posts
4,801 battles
20 minutes ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Fara has a nice recap of his perspective playing as the OMNI CV and he has the best overview of why what we did worked. Nobody else really understands the reason for bringing the woosters.

Would you mind linking that?  I would love to read it :D

[O7]
11,365 posts
8,084 battles
1 minute ago, Torpin said:

Would you mind linking that?  I would love to read it :D

• Cool 2

[MIA]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,485 posts
8,156 battles

They used different compositions, not just the one in the OP.

[ARRGG]
Members
145 posts
4,801 battles

Wow, I knew these guys played on a much higher level then our clan, but I didn't know how much higher until I watched that video- the amount of planning that went into those strats is AMAZING!  Hats off to o7 and OMNI!!!

[-BRS-]
Members
463 posts
9,088 battles

How are Henrys such a counter to the 'grad?  The HE spam with accuracy along with not being as squishy as the Zao?

Members
299 posts
6,831 battles
39 minutes ago, TheCompGuy25 said:

How are Henrys such a counter to the 'grad?  The HE spam with accuracy along with not being as squishy as the Zao?

IFHE on henry pens the grad.

Edited by Robinhood_

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles

So who actually won?

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles
7 minutes ago, LemonadeWarrior said:

O7; 3:2

Well done, congrates 07

[WG-CC]
WoWS Community Contributors
10,046 posts
8,425 battles
3 hours ago, 1nv4d3rZ1m said:

Radar was already nerfed.

The wooster was not brought for the radar really, it was mostly for the AA. Fara has a nice recap of his perspective playing as the OMNI CV and he has the best overview of why what we did worked. Nobody else really understands the reason for bringing the woosters.

I've been watching all of the KotS tournament games at bedtime over the last couple of days (out of order, I might add).  Fara's introspective on his decision making process in game 5 provides some wonderful insights for the layman.  He has a real talent for explaining high-end CV meta so that anyone can understand and appreciate.  It's the little things that impressed me, like knowing how far Minotaur and Cockbote AA reached on a given map despite various maps having different scales.  It's the sort of thing that a top-tier would know as a matter of course but that someone more casual would (at most) lament only as a passing frustration.

The KotS tournaments have come a long way and the ever evolving meta has been wonderful to watch.  I'm delighted to see Cockbote getting as much mileage as she is, but I'm particularly excited to see Henri IV stretching her legs.  That reload booster is nothing to sneeze at and it's fascinating to see that its implementation is having influence not only in Randoms but in the competitive scene as well.  Stalingrad ... well, I have a hate on for that bote, but it's role within the limitations of KotS compositions is still worth noting.

Nice butt wiggling in game 5, btw, Z1m!  Congratulations on your win.  You guys fought hard for it.

[O7]
11,365 posts
8,084 battles
7 minutes ago, LittleWhiteMouse said:

I've been watching all of the KotS tournament games at bedtime over the last couple of days (out of order, I might add).  Fara's introspective on his decision making process in game 5 provides some wonderful insights for the layman.  He has a real talent for explaining high-end CV meta so that anyone can understand and appreciate.  It's the little things that impressed me, like knowing how far Minotaur and Cockbote AA reached on a given map despite various maps having different scales.  It's the sort of thing that a top-tier would know as a matter of course but that someone more casual would (at most) lament only as a passing frustration.

The KotS tournaments have come a long way and the ever evolving meta has been wonderful to watch.  I'm delighted to see Cockbote getting as much mileage as she is, but I'm particularly excited to see Henri IV stretching her legs.  That reload booster is nothing to sneeze at and it's fascinating to see that its implementation is having influence not only in Randoms but in the competitive scene as well.  Stalingrad ... well, I have a hate on for that bote, but it's role within the limitations of KotS compositions is still worth noting.

Nice butt wiggling in game 5, btw, Z1m!  Congratulations on your win.  You guys fought hard for it.

Thanks, the team really came through and carried my noob self to a completely unexpected victory.

My favorite part of the entire international experience was seeing the doubt disappear and feeling the change in the twitch cheers as the games happened. The victory is completely unprecedented and I doubt anyone outside of our team thought we had a chance.