You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Sabot_100

Does having a CV in the game change your ammo choice?

10 comments in this topic

[CVA16]
Members
3,220 posts
11,236 battles

Like them or not, there will be CVs in some games. I was wondering if, when CVs are present, do you (should you) change your ammo choice?  HE kills a lot more AA than AP making the ships vulnerable to your CVs attacks. Should you shoot more HE in situations where you don't have a nice flat broadside to shoot at, where bounces are likely (but pens are still possible)? Making your CV more successful should help win games? Question doesn't really apply to BBs that spam HE all the time anyway so if you drive a Brit BB, ignore this thread. (OK they sometimes do shoot AP, at least there is a rumor they do)

[-K-]
Members
6,253 posts
10,463 battles

No.  Ammo choice is not dependent at all on a CV's presence in a match.  The only thing that changes is how and where I deploy my ship.

[KNTAI]
[KNTAI]
Alpha Tester, Beta Testers
3,172 posts
7,441 battles

No, sinking enemy ships is infinitely better than having their AA whittled down because they will still be able to deal damage to me and my team. Relying on another player to do the job for you should only be reserved for instances in which the enemy ship is close to dead and only if it's a ship that you know is already being attacked by your teammates.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,720 posts
18,080 battles
6 hours ago, Sabot_100 said:

Like them or not, there will be CVs in some games. I was wondering if, when CVs are present, do you (should you) change your ammo choice?  HE kills a lot more AA than AP making the ships vulnerable to your CVs attacks. Should you shoot more HE in situations where you don't have a nice flat broadside to shoot at, where bounces are likely (but pens are still possible)? Making your CV more successful should help win games? Question doesn't really apply to BBs that spam HE all the time anyway so if you drive a Brit BB, ignore this thread. (OK they sometimes do shoot AP, at least there is a rumor they do)

I kind of sort of change but for more selfish reasons.

My normal BBs usually keep AP slotted, RN BBs gonna HE anyways.  What changes things up is that there are opportunities for big damage while leeching off what the CV is doing.  Example:

I see off in the distance some enemy BB under attack by our CV.  I saw torpedoes hit and some HE bombs.  Typically targets hit like that have their Damage Control Party consumables under duress.  I'd take even a Non-RN BB and switch to HE and try to get some fires set on that target.  In all likeliness, the target popped DCP to stop the torpedo floods and HE bomb fires.  So by the time I've sent BB HE that target's way, their DCP Active Time is done and the consumable is on CD.  You get some fires set, you are raking in good, quality damage as the target cannot stop your fires.

RN BBs aren't the only ones that have good Fire Chances.  Montana has 12 guns with 36% Fire Chance and quite good accuracy.  Even GK can sport 12x 420mm guns which have a 38% Fire Chance.

RN BBs like Conqueror?  You're already keeping HE slotted and exclusively targeting BBs anyways.  Just keep playing as normal.  You're softening up those targets for the CV to nuke them.

The only ones I have that I just keep AP slotted no matter what are the ones with terrible HE shells.  Roma is a ship that comes quickly to mind.

Even Non-RN BB HE is a valid tool to use in the right situation.  I remember long ago a scenario where my Montana was being pursued by an Iowa and Izumo.  They were both bow on.  I kited, angled away and kept on feeding them 406mm x12 HE shells to the face until they each gave up trying to run me down and do something else.

I'm a Montana.  I am engaged at range with an angled / bow on Yamato.  Yamato has already a big advantage with her notable accuracy, 460mm Overmatch Superiority, and being able to face tank my AP shells with no problems.  For me to keep firing AP at such a well armored target with a highly defensive profile is folley.  Yamato won't give a f--k about any AP I send her way.  However, feed her a series of Montana 12x HE shells that do penetration damage and set some fires, well, Yamato will start worrying a bit.

Understand that to me, AP is the "Go To" shell for Non-RN BBs.  But you got HE shells for the proper times.  Use them.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
8,417 posts
14,831 battles

Nope. Even a 1 HP ship that has had all it's AA wiped out by HE Spam can shoot and kill you/teammates. Your ammo choice should be dictated by the most effective and expedient way to kill the reds. CV being in the game is 100% irrelevant to ammo choice unless shooting at the CV itself and then you can decide to burn it down with HE or chunk it down with AP.

[UN1]
Members
565 posts
2,065 battles

No.  HE spamming destroyers and cruisers will remove AA effectiveness just fine.  Battleship HE does do a better job at removing secondary (ie, AA) mounts, but they're not exclusive to that role (learned that engaging a lone Lion with my Massachusetts, and finding out very quickly that I had only 1 mount firing lol). 

As always, it's most important to "remove guns from the game".  It's always nice getting that juicy citadel, but you win more games by removing that low hp ship trying to run away.  If it's got 1 HP, it's can still function.

Members
192 posts
2,961 battles

Nah. In general, BB's should be using AP with few exceptions, such as if they are facing a DD with nothing else to shoot at, or if stuck facing a well-angled enemy BB that can mostly ignore their AP.

Also, CV pilots just tend to avoid high AAA ships on principle. So, even if you have used HE to knock out most of the AAA on a high-AAA ship, there's a good chance your team's CV will still avoid it because "that ship has great AAA." I'm also not sure if there's any way in game to really tell how many AAA mounts you've removed from an enemy in game. If there isn't, than you're stuck guessing on how much AAA you've burned off, or you're wasting time mentally tracking it. Either way, BB's should be using AP almost all of the time, IMHO.

Edited by old_radagast

[CO-OP]
Members
90 posts
15,838 battles

Yeah CV lazy mans play just like arty in WOTS. 

Now with subs being brought into game this game will fail like WOPs did. 

They cant keep players in game now so lets throw a bunch of crapinto game and get what we can before it goes down faster then the Titanic did.

Edited by _73RD_Easting2NDACAV

[-AF-]
Beta Testers
160 posts
3,025 battles
33 minutes ago, _73RD_Easting2NDACAV said:

Yeah CV lazy mans play just like arty in WOTS. 

Now with subs being brought into game this game will fail like WOPs did. 

They cant keep players in game now so lets throw a bunch of crapinto game and get what we can before it goes down faster then the Titanic did.

I'm confused with this statement.  How does it apply to ammo usage with a CV in the game?  

To the OP's question, the presence of a CV in the game has no impact whatsoever on my ammo choice unless I am directly engaging it.  Of course I am still a relative neophyte in this game and haven't even considered knocking out AA with HE as others have mentioned, so from that point I may have learned something.