Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
StoptheViolins

Forest for The Trees? [Torpedo Dispersion]

5 comments in this topic

[LLMF]
Alpha Tester
1,954 posts

I have played a few matches of the new sub scenarios and was focused on how subs played.  So focused it didn't occur to me of a new mechanic on torpedoes - dispersion.  When at periscope depth torpedoes pretty much went on their indicated path however on the surface torpedoes had a dispersion arc.  What makes that interesting is that's one of my gripes on torpedoes - they are 100% accurate.  If you aim right all 100% of the torpedoes unrealistically will hit their targets while your target vainly tries to hit you with wildly dispersing rounds from cannon fire.

With the new scenarios torpedo dispersion has been introduced and hopefully as a incoming mechanic to offset the damage "enhancements" to torpedo bulges, secondaries, and other currently non-essential parts of ships plus the planned damage reduction of AP vs DDs.  For some people torpedo dispersion will help, others probably won't notice because they play like me in the 2-3km or less comfort zone.  And those who don't like the idea can always fall back on that at least it isn't duds, zero damage hits (from torpedo budges doing their jobs), and unexpectedly shorter range on a defective torpedo.

Members
46 posts
2,626 battles

There is torpedo dispersion.  Torpedos don't actually travel in a perfect spread.  Sometimes a large gap opens between two of them that kind of ruins the spread.  Ships for right in the gap.

[5BS]
Members
7,036 posts

DD Mafia is gona love this...

14 minutes ago, Rainman106 said:

There is torpedo dispersion.  Torpedos don't actually travel in a perfect spread.  Sometimes a large gap opens between two of them that kind of ruins the spread.  Ships for right in the gap.

I think he means that instead of torp 'arc' being approximately the area the torps will be in (individual torps may vary a meter or two in either direction) he means to have a larger cone where the torps can spread wildly outside that arc. Basically meaning I can aim the cone at a target, but 2 of the torps fly wildly away. It makes about as much sense as the main gun dispersion mechanic (when you consider physics and momentum) but the DD's will cry SUPER foul at the mere suggestion

[O_O]
Members
803 posts
5,281 battles

There has always been torpedo dispersion.  Believe it or not they're not an easy-button solution.

Sure.  Historically there were circular-runs, bad fuses, fuel problems and they were mostly single-shot.  Historic gunfire hit rates were also in the mid-single digits.  I don't think I'd enjoy that very much either.

-R (Not a destroyer main)

[CRMSN]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,910 posts
4,186 battles
1 hour ago, StoptheViolins said:

I have played a few matches of the new sub scenarios and was focused on how subs played.  So focused it didn't occur to me of a new mechanic on torpedoes - dispersion.  When at periscope depth torpedoes pretty much went on their indicated path however on the surface torpedoes had a dispersion arc.  What makes that interesting is that's one of my gripes on torpedoes - they are 100% accurate.  If you aim right all 100% of the torpedoes unrealistically will hit their targets while your target vainly tries to hit you with wildly dispersing rounds from cannon fire.

With the new scenarios torpedo dispersion has been introduced and hopefully as a incoming mechanic to offset the damage "enhancements" to torpedo bulges, secondaries, and other currently non-essential parts of ships plus the planned damage reduction of AP vs DDs.  For some people torpedo dispersion will help, others probably won't notice because they play like me in the 2-3km or less comfort zone.  And those who don't like the idea can always fall back on that at least it isn't duds, zero damage hits (from torpedo budges doing their jobs), and unexpectedly shorter range on a defective torpedo.

This already exists with torpedo launchers used by destroyers. 

Torpedo bulges already do their job, hence why a 18,000 damage torpedo only does about 9k damage to a hit on a yamato TDS. 

I would also like to highlight that these damage "enhancements" are a nerf to Destroyers as well. If the changes go through, DD's will no longer be saved from HE hits to module that essentially "Absorb" he alpha damage.  Which will in turn make all HE shells more lethal to DD's. 

Sign in to follow this