You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
IvanPonomarev

WG Loot Box’s and Their Current State

33 comments in this topic

[MIA-P]
Members
369 posts
12,094 battles

The pumpkin containers have recently come out and I was looking to buy them. Every once in awhile I would buy the pack of 40 for 90$. However, previously I bought the 20 pack of for the British DD missions. Honestly no one really likes the grind and I wanted to start at T8. It took 11 containers to get to the T6 DD and the 2/3rd last container to get the T7 DD now honestly I felt like there was no point in buying more since the drop rate was so bad. So I tried normal UK containers and never got it. I learned several things.

1. The loot drop values were most likely drastically scaled differently than previous events.

2. The secondary prizes were unrewarding.

3. The prizes were unimaginative. Get a couple signals get a couple camos. This is practically only good for the starting player. If someone has three years in the game there is literally no point.

Now back to talking about the premium Halloween containers. I was ready to spend the 90$ to get the 40 containers and get a chance on getting those sweet doubloon compensations for the dup camos. However I read their posts and in one of the final sentences they gave a “terms of contract” no dup camos and can only be gotten once. Therefore you would not get the compensation. For a beginner it does not matter but if you are a veteran it is once again pointless. 

So essentially WG is shooting themselves out of players willing to spend money so they are in a way, cause the opposite effect of what they want to happen. People who get compensated less are not going to willing buy containers.

this also will effect future sales and player opinions. If the last two containers sales were awful what should we expect of the Christmas containers? The first year was great, second year was meh, so this year I expect it to be bad. British containers were bad, Halloween containers were bad what should we rationally expect? This leads me to “fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me.” There are a few people who will say “I don’t care” there are many people who will go “I’ll pass”.

finally back to the containers being unimaginative. Truly we can think of better things to put in either than flags and camos. What about 100 premium consumables or unique permanent ship flags that people have been wanting but never were able to get? If you have the flag then you won’t get the duplicate. You could  maybe have 10 point commanders. 1 day to 7 day premium time. Just the current system is so monotonous that the fun factor just isn’t there. 

Edited by IvanPonomarev
Grammar
  • Cool 11

[VW]
Members
2,524 posts
14,518 battles

Ironically they dumped dubloon comps because some (including op maybe) were exploiting it. Dont think they’ll bring that back. As for flags in crates that’s totally useless. I agree for captains,  dubs etc.

• Cool 1

[WLDD]
Beta Testers
483 posts
5,448 battles
20 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

Ironically they dumped dubloon comps because some (including op maybe) were exploiting it. Dont think they’ll bring that back. As for flags in crates that’s totally useless. I agree for captains,  dubs etc.

I'd be curious to see if the overall revenue has dropped since changing the compensation for duplicates.  I know a lot of people have stopped spending money completely because of it, and even more have been spending less.  Unless there are a few whales still spending more than enough to make up for it or new players coming in and spending money, I can't see how they're making anywhere near as much as before the change.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,452 posts
20,379 battles
20 minutes ago, Deno said:

I'd be curious to see if the overall revenue has dropped since changing the compensation for duplicates.  I know a lot of people have stopped spending money completely because of it, and even more have been spending less.  Unless there are a few whales still spending more than enough to make up for it or new players coming in and spending money, I can't see how they're making anywhere near as much as before the change.

Probably no drop in revenue or maybe a very small one. IMHO the only ones buying the crates are the newish players as I think most of the veteran players realize what an awful deal they truly are. Since the game has a pretty big turnover of players, the influx of new blood spending probably keeps them in the black even with older players spending less. I read somewhere that this was what "free to play" games had to do to stay profitable. As a former whale myself, I can tell you that a big reason I quit spending was the lack of real value of what was being sold by Wargaming.

I would caution anyone thinking of spending money on crates not to do so. Ever since the Aigle crates, they have been complete and utter overpriced crap. Farm the free ones and save your real money. Gambling on the crates that Wargaming is currently offering is liable to be disappointing for  most customers.

[KEGEL]
Members
165 posts
7,494 battles

I agree the current themed loot crates (standard & premium) could do with an overhaul.

Didn't mind the token /sovereign system introduced during UK DD introduction. The ability to trade tokens for stuff you actually wanted to offset saltiness from rubbish RnG drops.

Kinda lukewarm on prospect of Christmas crates this year. Last year made out like a bandit (still have ~300 Frosty Fir camos + filled gaps in prem ship roster) so not that fussed this year. 

Personally I'd be after things like Coal, Dragon Flags, a couple specific Combat flags and maybe a couple ships I skipped during year.

Of course other players may have different priorities.

[AAA]
Members
502 posts
8,192 battles

Last Halloween spent $300 and got lots of dubs (approx 127k), camos and other stuff. Few months later $400 on Christmas crates getting lots of premium ships, dubs, 2.5yrs premium time, camos etc. It was worth spending as the crates had a lot of value.

This Halloween none because I don't need any of those special camos or the junk. But would have definitely bought a cpl of 40 crate lots if there was dub compensation. WG would have not lost anything by giving me a little more than 50k dubs (assuming that I would have got a lots of dups). But now they lost my $200 because they assumed I would buy dubs in the future giving them more value. But I already have 85k dubs, 2 yrs premium time and 4 mil free xp, so I don't see any reason to make purchases to enjoy the game. But the  gambling and the greed is what would made me to buy those crates even though I am hoarding so much in-game currency. 

If all they want to give is 1 in a 1000 chance of something awesome and some junk, I would never spend anything. I would just enjoy the game with all the awesome stuff I have and WG is the one losing out. I am already looking for something else to spend on from the WoWs Christmas crates budget.

[VW]
Members
2,524 posts
14,518 battles
48 minutes ago, Deno said:

My guess is theyre making money off free xp conversion sales driven by free xp ship releases: think alaska, jb, bourgogne incoming. Also prem ship purchases for ranked. Anyway the intelligent buyer waits for black friday/Christmas to buy crates anyway.

Edited by monpetitloup
  • Cool 1

[BUOY]
Members
329 posts
9,484 battles
15 minutes ago, Taylor3006 said:

Probably no drop in revenue or maybe a very small one. IMHO the only ones buying the crates are the newish players as I think most of the veteran players realize what an awful deal they truly are. Since the game has a pretty big turnover of players, the influx of new blood spending probably keeps them in the black even with older players spending less. I read somewhere that this was what "free to play" games had to do to stay profitable. As a former whale myself, I can tell you that a big reason I quit spending was the lack of real value of what was being sold by Wargaming.

I would caution anyone thinking of spending money on crates not to do so. Ever since the Aigle crates, they have been complete and utter overpriced crap. Farm the free ones and save your real money. Gambling on the crates that Wargaming is currently offering is liable to be disappointing for  most customers.

RN crates offered a pretty good bang for buck even if you didn't get a single mission since you could buy the Gallant and Warspite for sovereigns or get doubloons as compensation if already owned. As such I bought a 20 pack when the 4k bonus doubloons offer was put forth and basically made out with 14k doubloons, Bert and the rest of it was gravy. 

But your point does stand about most of the rest of the crates over this year. I spent on the US cruisers containers and definitely felt underwhelmed... and these were some of the better crates for dragon flags. If the doubloons drop for the pumpkins this year hadn't been some ridiculously low chance I probably would have spent for them as well, but as it is I'm swimming in camos and have been lucky enough to pull 2 of the 4 new permas from free pumpkins.

WG made a big mistake, imo, in taking most all of the existing value out of premium crates for established players. Yes, these pumpkins seem to be a good value for new players who have none to few of the permas and want them, but unlike last year there is zero thrill for me since there are few to no doubloon drops.

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,452 posts
20,379 battles
5 minutes ago, lloyd1701 said:

WG made a big mistake, imo, in taking most all of the existing value out of premium crates for established players. Yes, these pumpkins seem to be a good value for new players who have none to few of the permas and want them, but unlike last year there is zero thrill for me since there are few to no doubloon drops.

I think this is probably the best point of any on this thread.

[CUTIE]
Members
1,571 posts
6,979 battles

I've been very fortunate in the last two container runs: I was able to get all 4 RN destroyers just from the free containers in-game, and I've pulled two permanent camos out of the pumpkins (one from a premium container I won from a CC, the other via a regular container).  That said...meh.  The "grind" to tier 8 takes less than 100 games, total, for any halfway decent player with premium, so getting to skip to the Lightning was no big deal (and this is coming from a DD main, somebody who puts little if any time into destroyers would be even less impressed).  As for the Halloween camouflages, even you don't already have them, look at the ships they're for: a few low tier ships that hardly anyone plays and absolutely no-one needs a permanent camo for, and a bunch of tier 8 ships for those who want to look unusual while playing bottom tier.  Put another way, I absolutely love the Kiev--if you made me pick just one it'd be my favorite ship in the game.  But I already have a premium camouflage for Kiev which I bought way back when it was a tier 7, so I have zero need for yet another which gives me the same bonuses.  These are the reasons I haven't bought any premium crates from these series...as the OP said, the "prizes" are underwhelming and the normal rewards even more so.

WarGaming needs to think outside the box for the next fund raiser premium crate series.  How about some permanent camos which offer different bonuses?  Nothing drastic, but say, instead of a 10% bonus to credits earned it gives a 100% bonus to free XP earned?  Instead of +10% credits and +50% XP, how about one which just gives +20% credits?  Give me a reason to even notice when I win yet another permanent camouflage for a ship I rarely play.

Or maybe even try something entirely new to the game: how about an alternate permanent camo that, when equipped, gives only the concealment & dispersion bonuses but then after the game converts your credits earned in the battle into doubloons?  Nothing crazy, let's say a 1000:1 ratio?  Something like this would benefit just about every Warships player, including those people who have more credits than they could possibly spend, and even the most remote chance at finding one of those in a container would push sales.  They could do another alternate which converts credits earned in battle into reasonable amounts of coal as well (not steel for obvious reasons).

That's just off the top of my head, but they really need to do something to bring the excitement back into these sales & campaigns.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,437 posts
7,384 battles
4 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

My guess is theyre making money off free xp conversion sales driven by free xp ship releases: think alaska, jb, bourgogne incoming.

Are any of those even confirmed to be Free XP? Or is this just the hype causing people to swing their plastic cards around?

[WYRN]
Beta Testers
122 posts
10,737 battles

I think WG is convinced that we are stuck on their gambling program and will continue to buy.

[ARGSY]
Members
10,914 posts
7,074 battles
6 hours ago, IvanPonomarev said:

However, previously I bought the 20 pack of for the British DD missions. Honestly no one really likes the grind and I wanted to start at T8. 

That's on you. If you want to spend money to get something you could have had for free, because you couldn't be bothered to put the effort in, I have absolutely no sympathy for you on this one. I got Acasta and Icarus from containers won in-game, and consider myself fortunate. I gambled one premium crate to get enough sovereigns for two more in the Arsenal and failed to get further unlocks, but I was prepared to live with that.

However I read their posts and in one of the final sentences they gave a “terms of contract” no dup camos and can only be gotten once.

That's to stop people like you from gaming the system for free doubloons. Look up "TANSTAAFL".

Just the current system is so monotonous that the fun factor just isn’t there. 

Maybe you're not playing the right ships in the right way.

2 hours ago, Harv72b said:

How about some permanent camos which offer different bonuses?  Nothing drastic, but say, instead of a 10% bonus to credits earned it gives a 100% bonus to free XP earned?  Instead of +10% credits and +50% XP, how about one which just gives +20% credits?  Give me a reason to even notice when I win yet another permanent camouflage for a ship I rarely play.

I could get on board with this, though I'm not sure they'd ever want to give out a camo that fed you doubloons - unless perhaps they had a daily or weekly cap on it (as does Pokemon Go with its in-game Pokecoin currency; you can win it for free in-game, but only so much per day or week).

52 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Are any of those even confirmed to be Free XP? Or is this just the hype causing people to swing their plastic cards around?

At least one of them HAS to be; they can't put out that many high-tier premiums and make all of them coal and/or steel only. The big question is, of course, which one for how much of what?

• Boring 1

[HYDRO]
Members
3,022 posts
4,612 battles
1 hour ago, SireneRacker said:

Well if we go by the process of elimination, JB has been (supposedly) leaked to be a coal ship, at least for now. Bourgogne is as likely to be available for coal as for steel, so naturally Alaska should fall into Free XP territory. This would also make sense on the grounds that releasing too many ships simultaneously for the same currency or resource wouldn't be that profitable.

That said all this is conjecture, albeit a plausible one.

Members
1,006 posts
12,843 battles
5 hours ago, sansfaille said:

Last Halloween spent $300 and got lots of dubs (approx 127k), camos and other stuff. Few months later $400 on Christmas crates getting lots of premium ships, dubs, 2.5yrs premium time, camos etc. It was worth spending as the crates had a lot of value.

This Halloween none because I don't need any of those special camos or the junk. But would have definitely bought a cpl of 40 crate lots if there was dub compensation. WG would have not lost anything by giving me a little more than 50k dubs (assuming that I would have got a lots of dups). But now they lost my $200 because they assumed I would buy dubs in the future giving them more value. But I already have 85k dubs, 2 yrs premium time and 4 mil free xp, so I don't see any reason to make purchases to enjoy the game. But the  gambling and the greed is what would made me to buy those crates even though I am hoarding so much in-game currency. 

If all they want to give is 1 in a 1000 chance of something awesome and some junk, I would never spend anything. I would just enjoy the game with all the awesome stuff I have and WG is the one losing out. I am already looking for something else to spend on from the WoWs Christmas crates budget.

127k dubs how on earth do you blow through so many ?  plus u xmas crates bet you had close to 200k

im still buying prem time over in  tanks from my 100k i had over there  from 3 years ago.  ,my only guess its t10 on day one :) about the only way to use so many dubs  power gamer ! 

Edited by Rilak
  • Funny 1

Members
1,006 posts
12,843 battles
44 minutes ago, Bikk said:

I think WG is convinced that we are stuck on their gambling program and will continue to buy.

pretty sure if the buying stops then other methods will be used.  im 99% sure we ended up with the current system do to sales tracking and offering what works.

[NKVD]
Members
303 posts
3,828 battles

I have the kagero’s, tirpitz, and the t8 russian cruiser (forgot name) perma camos, don’t own any of the ships but I may consider tirpitz to retrain. So far spent $0 

meanwhile I have a naked rusty NC sitting in my port waiting for a levaithan redo

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,788 posts
3,942 battles
7 hours ago, IvanPonomarev said:

Now back to talking about the premium Halloween containers. I was ready to spend the 90$ to get the 40 containers and get a chance on getting those sweet doubloon compensations for the dup camos. However I read their posts and in one of the final sentences they gave a “terms of contract” no dup camos and can only be gotten once. Therefore you would not get the compensation. For a beginner it does not matter but if you are a veteran it is once again pointless. 

I just want to say that it appears that Doubloons don't drop until one gets all the Halloween camouflage.

Given that I already had most of the old Halloween Camouflage, and rolled 2 of 4 from the freebie Premium Crates from the Operations, my set of boxes rolled the last 2 new Halloween camouflage and 5x 2500 Doubloon drops. The Halloween Camouflage were the first to drop; never the Doubloons.

But overall yes, this dupe protection is likely to reduce Doubloon influx. The problem though is that the cost should be reduced to compensate as well. Since one can no longer get a generous influx of Doubloons from the crates, it should be a bit cheaper. Either that or increase the amount of exotic Signal Flags over the single-use camouflage.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,437 posts
7,384 battles
1 hour ago, warheart1992 said:

Well if we go by the process of elimination, JB has been (supposedly) leaked to be a coal ship, at least for now. Bourgogne is as likely to be available for coal as for steel, so naturally Alaska should fall into Free XP territory. This would also make sense on the grounds that releasing too many ships simultaneously for the same currency or resource wouldn't be that profitable.

That said all this is conjecture, albeit a plausible one.

Well, using the quote which I quoted:

"free xp ship releases: think alaska, jb, bourgogne incoming."

Sounds like JeanBart is also included. As for these leaks, I would not hold my breath over a picture as blurry as the one that "leaked" JB. Granted I don‘t know the truth of that statement myself, that pic lacks the substance to be considered trustworthy in my book.

[HYDRO]
Members
3,022 posts
4,612 battles
2 minutes ago, SireneRacker said:

Sounds like JeanBart is also included. As for these leaks, I would not hold my breath over a picture as blurry as the one that "leaked" JB. Granted I don‘t know the truth of that statement myself, that pic lacks the substance to be considered trustworthy in my book.

That's a pretty fair point. I still don't know what to believe about the "leak" myself, and to be honest it matters little. The image could well be 100% true at the time it was leaked, but this does not eliminate the possibility of Lesta tweaking the manner in which each ship becomes available at the last moment.  I believe however that one of these ships will end up being available for Free XP, again not by definite proof or facts, but just by trying to see WG's reasoning behind each ship.

[BUOY]
Members
329 posts
9,484 battles
56 minutes ago, YamatoA150 said:

I just want to say that it appears that Doubloons don't drop until one gets all the Halloween camouflage.

Given that I already had most of the old Halloween Camouflage, and rolled 2 of 4 from the freebie Premium Crates from the Operations, my set of boxes rolled the last 2 new Halloween camouflage and 5x 2500 Doubloon drops. The Halloween Camouflage were the first to drop; never the Doubloons.

But overall yes, this dupe protection is likely to reduce Doubloon influx. The problem though is that the cost should be reduced to compensate as well. Since one can no longer get a generous influx of Doubloons from the crates, it should be a bit cheaper. Either that or increase the amount of exotic Signal Flags over the single-use camouflage.

How many crates did you get?

[RAWR]
Members
552 posts
8 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

Actually I believe this was only affecting ships, not camo's. I could be wrong though, I do sort of recall reading this announcement when it was posted by WGing but again I think this was something to do with ships and not Perm Camos.

[VW]
Members
2,524 posts
14,518 battles
2 hours ago, Phasferous said:

Actually I believe this was only affecting ships, not camo's. I could be wrong though, I do sort of recall reading this announcement when it was posted by WGing but again I think this was something to do with ships and not Perm Camos.

Yes people were buying prem ships then rebuying them on sale as well as crates and getting the full dub value plus port slot.