Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
44_percenter

Please buff radar

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles

so in ranked, 5 dd's each side, 1 cruiser, and 2 bb's. what kind of a game is this? obviously radar is not yet strong enough. dd captains feel like they can dance around the ranges, I suppose. Add 50% to the current range of radar (which, historically, was a LOT longer than in-game) so this behavior stops. Old timey radar went to the horizon, if not over. And, it was on all the time, but it couldn't work through islands. There is a ridiculous amount of islands on every map except one. So dd's already benefit from having an abnormal number of islands to hide behind. Make radar be on all the time, but it can't see through islands. Thank you, Wargaming.

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2
  • Boring 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3
[HOOPR]
[HOOPR]
Members
7 posts
5,080 battles

So basically any dd pops out from cover in line of sight you can shoot it anytime regardless of distance....

Seems balanced and fair. :fish_palm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
850
[WOLFB]
Members
2,621 posts
10,640 battles

You wanna buff radar ? Take radar modules. Period.

 

But I'll tell my secret on how to deal with DD without radar. When your friendly DD spots the red DD, shoot at them instead of aiming for that BB at the back. 

  • Funny 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,228
[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles

So how will buffing radar have any affect on playing ranked t5?

  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles
3 hours ago, Zip_Zip said:

out from cover

YES

 

Alright, criminal is on to me. There is no radar in T5. IMHO, launching torps should make the DD detected out to the limit of its torp range. See, I used the proper its and not it's there. Why? idk, seems like there should be counterplay to a 1 shot mechanic, but idk tho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
850
[WOLFB]
Members
2,621 posts
10,640 battles
3 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

Alright, criminal is on to me. There is no radar in T5. IMHO, launching torps should make the DD detected out to the limit of its torp range. See, I used the proper its and not it's there. Why? idk, seems like there should be counterplay to a 1 shot mechanic, but idk tho.

 

There is a counterplay, it's called WSAD hack. It's called "Dont sail in straight line".

 

Ok nvm, looking at your stat you're a typical BB main who doesn't play something that isn't a BB. I guess I have nothing more to add.

 

Gz why must BB main be so bad at the game

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles
2 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

 

There is a counterplay, it's called WSAD hack. It's called "Dont sail in straight line".

 

Ok nvm, looking at your stat you're a typical BB main who doesn't play something that isn't a BB. I guess I have nothing more to add.

 

Gz why must BB main be so bad at the game

and ignored. typical dd player wants to 1 shot everyone without ever being shot at, even though he can dodge bullets from any range outside 7 km. Nothing to see here.

  • Angry 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6,462
[SALVO]
Members
20,512 posts
20,327 battles
5 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

and ignored. typical dd player wants to 1 shot everyone without ever being shot at, even though he can dodge bullets from any range outside 7 km. Nothing to see here.

So someone posts an opinion you don't like and you ignore them.  Must be nice living in your bubble where everyone agrees with you  because you ignore everyone who doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[CSALT]
Members
935 posts
28 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

so in ranked, 5 dd's each side, 1 cruiser, and 2 bb's. what kind of a game is this? obviously radar is not yet strong enough. dd captains feel like they can dance around the ranges, I suppose. Add 50% to the current range of radar (which, historically, was a LOT longer than in-game) so this behavior stops. Old timey radar went to the horizon, if not over. And, it was on all the time, but it couldn't work through islands. There is a ridiculous amount of islands on every map except one. So dd's already benefit from having an abnormal number of islands to hide behind. Make radar be on all the time, but it can't see through islands. Thank you, Wargaming.

Surface to surface radar has a very short range when compared to range for airborne targets or airborne radars.  Over the Horizon radar can be used for maritime surveillance but it only provides detection and not target-able location data.  Even in WWII a radar that stayed on constantly was soon a dead radar.

But besides the technical stuff, it would seem that you're essentially asking that all ships be visible to line of sight detection at all times by all players.  There would seem to be no point to detection ranges anymore and we would all be spotted from beginning of battle to the end.  Might as well just have both sides always visible on the mini-map.  At least that is how I understand what you're asking for.  I can't say that I support the idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles
1 minute ago, Gunga_Dinner said:

Surface to surface radar has a very short range when compared to range for airborne targets or airborne radars.  Over the Horizon radar can be used for maritime surveillance but it only provides detection and not target-able location data.  Even in WWII a radar that stayed on constantly was soon a dead radar.

But besides the technical stuff, it would seem that you're essentially asking that all ships be visible to line of sight detection at all times by all players.  There would seem to be no point to detection ranges anymore and we would all be spotted from beginning of battle to the end.  Might as well just have both sides always visible on the mini-map.  At least that is how I understand what you're asking for.  I can't say that I support the idea.

So... like real life naval war?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[BNKR]
Members
75 posts
2,713 battles
3 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

So... like real life naval war?

Sure, and then we can have matches that last for weeks or months as well, just like real life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles
3 minutes ago, KRKroenen said:

Sure, and then we can have matches that last for weeks or months as well, just like real life. 

I'd prefer 2 hours to 4 hours for a reasonable simulation of a days long naval battle (not weeks, you made that up obviously). But I can understand if most players want short games and more of them. My all time favorite computer game is Empire Earth. Nothing since has surpassed it. And you will be hard-pressed to win that in under 4 hours on a gigantic map, even with speed bonuses, which are for wusses, I always get military bonuses. So yeah, the 20 minute time limit is compete bogosity... Real ships don't sink in 20 minutes even if they're dead in the water. Duh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Members
397 posts
50 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

so in ranked, 5 dd's each side, 1 cruiser, and 2 bb's. what kind of a game is this? obviously radar is not yet strong enough. dd captains feel like they can dance around the ranges, I suppose. Add 50% to the current range of radar (which, historically, was a LOT longer than in-game) so this behavior stops. Old timey radar went to the horizon, if not over. And, it was on all the time, but it couldn't work through islands. There is a ridiculous amount of islands on every map except one. So dd's already benefit from having an abnormal number of islands to hide behind. Make radar be on all the time, but it can't see through islands. Thank you, Wargaming.

Um NO Radar shows its head in tier 8 and above.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
354
[CSALT]
Members
935 posts
5 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

So... like real life naval war?

Not at all.  You seem to want ships, any ship, all ships to be constantly visible as long as there is line of sight to any member of the red time under the guise of always on radar.  Destroyers spotted 20km away or more.  All ships spotted anywhere they go on the map as long as there was a direct line between them and a red ship.  This would be like saying you can spot a paint can at the same distance you can spot a 55 gallon drum and the same distance that you can spot a trash dumpster from.

Real life naval warfare, you detect radar before it detects you.  You can even locate the radar source and target it without ever being detected by the radar.  Leave your radar on constantly and you will soon find yourself obliterated.

I appreciate your frustration, but part of the game, part of naval warfare is stealth and subterfuge.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[NMKJT]
Members
1,962 posts
5,582 battles
23 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

and ignored. typical dd player wants to 1 shot everyone without ever being shot at, even though he can dodge bullets from any range outside 7 km. Nothing to see here.

I main BB. Most DDs are funtime snacks for me. Usually no issues with torps unless all my DDs died, and the team contracted into a tiny part of the map and we're being torped from all sides.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles
3 hours ago, MnemonScarlet said:

I main BB. Most DDs are funtime snacks for me. Usually no issues with torps unless all my DDs died, and the team contracted into a tiny part of the map and we're being torped from all sides.

You haven't played on my teams. All but two dead before they fire a shot at a red ship. Nothing spotted. Shells raining in from all directions with no target in sight. I shoot HE at the nearest dd, but it doesn't sink. End of game. Also I sink dd's more than anything.

 

And yes, all my dd's died. If your dd captains are bad, you lose, and there's not a damn thing you are going to do about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[BNKR]
Members
75 posts
2,713 battles
12 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

I'd prefer 2 hours to 4 hours for a reasonable simulation of a days long naval battle (not weeks, you made that up obviously). But I can understand if most players want short games and more of them. My all time favorite computer game is Empire Earth. Nothing since has surpassed it. And you will be hard-pressed to win that in under 4 hours on a gigantic map, even with speed bonuses, which are for wusses, I always get military bonuses. So yeah, the 20 minute time limit is compete bogosity... Real ships don't sink in 20 minutes even if they're dead in the water. Duh!

Yeah, I was just being facetious. Like you not seeing anyone really wanting the game to be longer but I do think radar needs a change. This is how it was in WOT as well, one swing to the other, always chasing the newest perks, or tanks, or skills, ect. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles
1 minute ago, KRKroenen said:

Yeah, I was just being facetious. Like you not seeing anyone really wanting the game to be longer but I do think radar needs a change. This is how it was in WOT as well, one swing to the other, always chasing the newest perks, or tanks, or skills, ect. 

well I was being serious. I was actually quite shocked when I started playing, that the battles were under an hour. this isn't a simulation of naval combat, it's a gimmicky clickfest of tournament style rock paper scissors with ship pictures pasted on it. and not in a good way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
243
[NMKJT]
Members
1,962 posts
5,582 battles
6 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

You haven't played on my teams. All but two dead before they fire a shot at a red ship. Nothing spotted. Shells raining in from all directions with no target in sight. I shoot HE at the nearest dd, but it doesn't sink. End of game. Also I sink dd's more than anything.

 

5 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

And yes, all my dd's died. If your dd captains are bad, you lose, and there's not a damn thing you are going to do about it.

Nah, I get battles like that. Sometimes the rest of the team can pull it back from the brink. See in this spoiler (player names hidden, but I'm obviously the Roma lol):

Spoiler

i0gbRHw.jpg

Y8TptYO.png

That was top tier, but you can do it bottom tier as well. You won't win em all, but they're not unwinnable by default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,812
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,756 posts
10,986 battles

There is no radar to buff in tier 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,812
[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,756 posts
10,986 battles
6 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

So you admit it.

The first radar ships appear in tier 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
100
[SUPRS]
Members
559 posts
2,872 battles
Just now, BrushWolf said:

The first radar ships appear in tier 7.

Then you agree that radar needs a buff to be anywhere realistic, and be an effective deterrent to the dd's that it is supposed to counter, but because radar range is close to spotting range, doesn't affect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×