You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BEASTY_BUCKEYE

Massachusetts or Alabama

31 comments in this topic

Members
4 posts
383 battles

I am thinking of buying a premium ship for crew and credits, and i was wondering whats the best of the two?  Or are they vary close to being the same performance wise?  Any info here would be vary appreciated.  

Edited by BEASTY_BUCKEYE

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,062 posts
5,833 battles

do you want long range?alabama,she can't fight at close range unless it's 1 x1 with your bow pointed at the enemy.

brawling?massachusetts.

• Cool 1

[NDA]
Supertester
5,188 posts
15,384 battles

Think of the Alabama as a mid range Artillery ship that has improved protection against torpedoes. 

While the Massachusetts is the American Secondary Brawler ship. 

If you are ok staying at mid range and punching Citadels go for the Lucky A. But if you have fun getting in close and watching your secondaries rain on your enemies than go for the Big Mamie. 

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,527 posts
11,840 battles

Bama for serious play:cap_look:

Massa for Fun play:cap_book:

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles

I would wait till the new changes come in they are currently testing

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,062 posts
5,833 battles
4 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I would wait till the new changes come in they are currently testing

if the new change comes,the better choice will be alabama.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,683 posts
12,344 battles
1 minute ago, Cruxdei said:

if the new change comes,the better choice will be alabama.

I would agree, but if it doesn't, then the mass would be fine, why I said to wait, if he can of course.

[BNKR]
Members
233 posts
1,936 battles
25 minutes ago, BEASTY_BUCKEYE said:

I am thinking of buying a premium ship for crew and credits, and i was wondering whats the best of the two?  Or are they vary close to being the same performance wise?  Any info here would be vary appreciated.  

Are you really ready for tier 8-10 gameplay?

not being snarky. It’s much different than mid tiers. Not saying you can’t do it, but just be mindful of how different it is. Niw, if you’re only doing coop, it’s still a step up but not as dramatic.

Members
949 posts

I have both and would get MA vice AL.      Neither is a bad choice but when uptiered I can take MA in close and it is amusing to have 10km+ secondaries.  

I do not see Alabama worth the price.  I think Alabama has been marked way down several times.  MA is somewhat unique while AL isn't.  

Buy MA and some flags to move up quicker,  Watch a TON of videos multiple times.  I like Flamu on youtube.  Have fun!

• Cool 1

Members
4 posts
383 battles
3 hours ago, CatSnipah said:

not being snarky. It’s much different than mid tiers. Not saying you can’t do it, but just be mindful of how different it is. Niw, if you’re only doing coop, it’s still a step up but not as dramatic.

Maybe not.  But you got to learn some how.  I do just fine in tanks, how different can it be . I all way thought If you want to be the best you have to fight the best.  See you on the battlefield.  

Beta Testers
1,247 posts
7,455 battles
25 minutes ago, CatSnipah said:

Tier 8 is unironically a good place to learn the finer points of the game. You need to start somewhere, and honestly, lower tiers do not teach you anything about how to play in higher tiers. If you have the basics of the game, the fastest way to get better is to play in 8-10 and have an open mind and be willing to learn.

Members
695 posts
3,833 battles

I don't really touch my Alabama anymore as I find it kind of boring after having ground down the American BB tree + I have MO. MA trades a lot of range, a little sigma, and some concealment for brawling which the US line lacks so its a more unique ship. Also maintains the SoDaks excellent maneuverability, torp belt, and AA protection. I'd trade my Alabama for a Mass any day. That said just be aware you kind of need a unique captain for it specifically to spec things like MFC and/or IFHE. With the AP pen changes to DDs those secondaries might also come in pretty handy at thwarting suicide rushes.

Edited by ksix

[-TKS-]
Members
535 posts
8,271 battles

1 hour ago, ksix said:

I don't really touch my Alabama anymore as I find it kind of boring after having ground down the American BB tree + I have MO. MA trades a lot of range, a little sigma, and some concealment for brawling which the US line lacks so its a more unique ship. Also maintains the SoDaks excellent maneuverability, torp belt, and AA protection. I'd trade my Alabama for a Mass any day. That said just be aware you kind of need a unique captain for it specifically to spec things like MFC and/or IFHE. With the AP pen changes to DDs those secondaries might also come in pretty handy at thwarting suicide rushes.

Sums up my feelings to a tee as well. actually play the NC more then the alabama too since I got its Halloween camo.

[INTEL]
Members
10,037 posts
28,194 battles
19 hours ago, BEASTY_BUCKEYE said:

Dont buy any BBs until WG decides whether it is going to implement the proposed changes to the AP behavior. They will be very bad for brawlers like Massachusetts. Just save the money for now. If WG implements those changes, don't get either. If you must, get the Alabama IF the AP changes are implemented. Read the threads on the forum about the changes.

If you must grind for crew and credits, get a T7 premium like Boise. Boise can be played in a couple of operations and can make good credit that way. Sims is great for base XP missions since it gets a base XP boost, and murders planes in Dynamo. All the T7 premium BBs are good ships with a variety of playstyles. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
2,729 posts
Just now, Taichunger said:

Dont buy any BBs until WG decides whether it is going to implement the proposed changes to the AP behavior. They will be very bad for brawlers like Massachusetts. Just save the money for now. If WG implements those changes, don't get either. If you must, get the Alabama IF the AP changes are implemented. Read the threads on the forum about the changes.

If you must grind for crew and credits, get a T7 premium like Boise. Boise can be played in a couple of operations and can make good credit that way. Sims is great for base XP missions since it gets a base XP boost, and murders planes in Dynamo. All the T7 premium BBs are good ships with a variety of playstyles. 

:Smile_great:So This

[FTH]
Members
999 posts
13,898 battles

I know the damage changes are going to possibly do bad things to both of the SoDak twins, (possibly the Yam's too, but I'm not sure) but I know how it is waiting for a ship...I'm still waiting for Alaska, lol. If you want a boat now, go ahead and buy the one you want, you may regret it in 2 weeks, but you'll have 2 weeks of fun out of it...

Mass is unique due to her secondaries, Bama is a little better shooting based off the Sigma probably...I'm not sure, I've got the Mass only, and the 16/45's don't really agree with me in general, so I'm not an expert on that. Bama gets a little better torp reduction, maybe 2-3% or so, not really enough to matter. It just comes down to if you want the secondaries or not.

[FATE]
Members
1 post
6,618 battles
10 hours ago, BEASTY_BUCKEYE said:

Well everyone has pointed out that the Alabama has the more accurate guns and the Massachusetts has long range secondaries. They are both fun but the Dev blog on Facebook said that for Black Friday they are gonna release a Massachusetts B that will gave the Black Friday camo permanately. It’s all black and the Atago and the Tirpitz are also having the premium b versions as they called it. Nothing changes about their stats but they will make more money and xp with the camo. So if you end up choosing the Massachusetts, might wait to see if you can get the Massachusetts B for the economy gains. 

[WOLF2]
Beta Testers
6,273 posts
10,789 battles
9 hours ago, ksix said:

Same. Anything meaningful the Bama can do, the Mass can do. 

No you arn’t hitting more with that “better” sigma on Bama. No you arn’t using that extra range to good effect either. I’m a DD main and see the results of your shooting all the time.

On the flip side: No, the secondaries on Mass arn’t the death throwers that proponents of a full manual secondary build believe them to be. I’ve burned down plenty of full secondary builds who didn’t have points for survival skills.

Both ships are viable with a wide range of Captain builds.