You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RunwayDrifter

Matchmaking seems broken and unbalanced.

23 comments in this topic

Members
29 posts
590 battles
Just now, destawaits said:

Maybe because of the lack of players in matchmaking?

It could have switched some of the 3's on one side, with some of the 5's on the other.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,684 posts
12,344 battles

That is their rank number not their tier number, MM is working as intended

Members
29 posts
590 battles
5 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

That is their rank number not their tier number, MM is working as intended

Seems that the game's matchmaking algorithm intends for me and the one other level 2, to carry the game. That is not balanced.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,684 posts
12,344 battles
1 minute ago, tankpew said:

Seems that the game's matchmaking algorithm intends for me and the one other level 2, to carry the game. That is not balanced.

Your in ranks 5 to 1 the MM is doing its job, you  got an unlucky dice roll, it could be the difference of when everyone pushed the battle button as to who ended up where, but in all fairness, nothing is actually wrong is it, other than you were on the side that did not win, sorry to be blunt, and no hostility towards you, but the title of your thread is completely wrong and misleading, when you yourself provided the screen shot proving that your title thread is a lie.

Matchmaking seems broken and unbalanced.

36 minutes ago, tankpew said:

1693551399_WorldOfWarships_1111.thumb.png.b18af25e6c8843b096e50c9770349cf6.png

Members
29 posts
590 battles
5 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

you  got an unlucky dice roll

So now you are saying its just bad luck? It's a simple algorithm to fix. Not sure what your argument even is.

7 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

sorry to be blunt, and no hostility towards you, but the title of your thread is completely wrong and misleading

Sorry to be blunt as well, but you are actually being hostile, and of course you are going to claim that nothing is wrong when you work for the company. That is why I making this post. To point out that something is wrong and can easily be fixed.

7 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

your title thread is a lie

Calm down. Don't call me a liar when the math clearly shows that the ranks were unbalanced. Add them up and do the average, before making baseless claims.

• Cool 1

[EGO]
Members
3,594 posts
5 minutes ago, tankpew said:

Calm down. Don't call me a liar when the math clearly shows that the ranks were unbalanced. Add them up and do the average, before making baseless claims.

There is no attempt to balance by rank, it is balanced by ship type.

Honestly someones rank has very little to do with if they are good.

Members
29 posts
590 battles
1 minute ago, CaptainTeddybear said:

Honestly someones rank has very little to do with if they are good.

That is a fair statement, and I don't expect them to ever be perfectly balanced. In this case though, I thought the difference stood out way more than in the rest of the games, and it wasn't just one or two people one one side that made it unbalanced.

63% of one team was under balanced, when compared to the other.

[A-I-M]
Members
1,514 posts
16,137 battles

I have never cared about MM, except that both teams are full. At all. 3 radars vs 1, one side with 4BBs and the other with 3, destroyer numbers different, I don’t care. 

I would, however, dislike it a lot if randoms teams were a perfect mirror, like in coop, and this is what a lot of players seem to want. 

[EGO]
Members
3,594 posts
3 minutes ago, tankpew said:

That is a fair statement, and I don't expect them to ever be perfectly balanced. In this case though, I thought the difference stood out way more than in the rest of the games, and it wasn't just one or two people one one side that made it unbalanced.

63% of one team was under balanced, when compared to the other.

You could go look up their stats at warships today and see if it was actually unbalanced. That will tell you a lot more than their rank and it does happen.

Since WG tracks all those stats I have no idea why they don't use them to balance teams, even more so in randoms which can be horribly unbalanced.

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,684 posts
12,344 battles
24 minutes ago, tankpew said:

So now you are saying its just bad luck? It's a simple algorithm to fix. Not sure what your argument even is.

There is nothing to fix, it is working as intended, there is no argument as I am responding to your initial post

Sorry to be blunt as well, but you are actually being hostile, and of course you are going to claim that nothing is wrong when you work for the company. That is why I making this post. To point out that something is wrong and can easily be fixed.

I wrote I am not being hostile so you understood there was none in the answers I were giving you, if you took it for hostility, that is solely on you as I had pointed out this wasn't meant as a hostile statement

I (do not/would not) work for the company

There is nothing wrong to be fixed and is working as intended

I am calm, I never called you a liar, I said your thread tittle is a lie.

Yes if we add up rank numbers on left side and the right side, yes there is a difference in the total, but when has ranked ever been matched by the rank number besides your name other than ranks 10-5 or 5-1.

I have never made a baseless claim here as I am replying directly to you.

It does appear you are being aggressive about this particular subject and if you truly have an issue with how it all works contact support and put in a ticket.

The fact remains is nothing is wrong as you have shown by your screen shot, the title of your thread is a baseless, one would call it a lie or click bait, if you do not know that your ranked number is not subject to MM and that it works by sections of a rank number you belong to eg. 10- 5 or 5-1, then you know now, of course the tiers of the ship matter.

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[PVE]
Members
14,984 posts
9,575 battles
1 hour ago, tankpew said:

As you can see in the screenshot, one side has mostly level 5's, while the other has mostly level 3's. How is this balanced?

This is what the MM sees for that screenshot

T5 CV                 T5 CV

T5 BB                 T5 BB

T5 DD                 T5 DD

Members
29 posts
590 battles
Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

it is working as intended

You seem to be repeating the same phrase like a broken record. It is definitely not working right, and repeating that phrase doesn't fix it.

Just now, CriMiNaL__ said:

I (do not/would not) work for the company

Says you are a beta tester in your own profile, lol. Of course you are going to claim your testing was done right, when it clearly wasn't.

2 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

It does appear you are being aggressive

You are the one accusing me of lying. Once again, you need to calm down. Not sure why you are so offended when the math is clearly on my side.

3 minutes ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

The fact remains is nothing is wrong

Fact remains that you are in denial, my friend. Not only was one team unbalanced, but it was unbalanced by a wide margin.

Let's not even talk about the two level difference between the two teams. One had 3s and the other had 5s. What happened to the 4s? 

I would rather wait an extra 30 seconds for a properly balanced team.

Members
29 posts
590 battles
1 minute ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I will leave this now

Good, because you added nothing productive to this thread except for your anger and insults.

Go calm down somewhere, man. No reason to get so defensive.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,684 posts
12,344 battles
5 hours ago, tankpew said:

Good, because you added nothing productive to this thread except for your anger and insults.

Go calm down somewhere, man. No reason to get so defensive.

lets put the full quote in, lets not forget the real reason behind it

Says you are a beta tester in your own profile, lol. Of course you are going to claim your testing was done right, when it clearly wasn't

I will leave this now as your true intelligence has just shown me that a reasonable discussion with you is like that mineral they mined in Avatar.

I have added lots, you just do not like the truth, to quote a movie famous for its line

"You can't handle the truth"

Please read others comments, they say the same thing about your mystery broken MM issue. 

Can you show exactly how the maths is on your side?  We all would like to see it, if you cannot prove with your maths then your claim is baseless.

Edited by turbo07

Members
29 posts
590 battles
5 hours ago, CriMiNaL__ said:

I will leave this now

I thought you were leaving, lol. 

I have made plenty of points throughout this thread. Feel free to scroll back up and read them. If you don't even know how to get a mathematical average, then you should definitely not be testing anything for a company.

Edited by turbo07

[SALVO]
Members
20,580 posts
20,433 battles
2 hours ago, tankpew said:

It could have switched some of the 3's on one side, with some of the 5's on the other.

That's not how MM works, for better or worse.

Besides, it's not a big deal.  Rank 3's and Rank 5's are in the same Ranked league (i.e. ranks 2-5).  

[KP]
Beta Testers
2,684 posts
12,344 battles
4 hours ago, tankpew said:

then you should definitely not be testing anything for a company

If you actually understood the tag, the reasoning and the why

I thought you were leaving

You kept quoting me

It cannot be an insult if its the truth, as far as your problem with the MM or the ranks besides people names there actually isn't one.

If you feel there is a real problem then send in a support ticket to get an official answer, this would show you the truth.

You have a hard time believing anyone, even when others show you or telling you your assumptions are wrong.

As I have stated repeatedly now MM is to do with ship tiers not a persons rank.

6 hours ago, tankpew said:

As you can see in the screenshot, one side has mostly level 5's, while the other has mostly level 3's. How is this balanced?

if we all look at the screen shot closely again we can see all ships are tier 5, all people in the match are from ranks 5-1, so where in your post title "Matchmaking seems broken and unbalanced'

How, everyone falls into the right part of the ranked series, everyone is in the right tier of ship, a persons rank does not reflect their skill level.

the OP is simply complaining because they lost and is blaming wg because that is all they can do

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
873 posts
13,562 battles
2 hours ago, tankpew said:

A few thoughts in the hope this can make some sense to you. Looks like you are a fairly new player. And if that is the case I will say that new players (myself included way back when) can often find the systems and such to be a little crazy-making. But there has been a great deal of thought behind most of the ways things work.

It's not "level 5's" brother. That's just their current rank in the particular ranked season. And most of them will likely be rank 4 and then rank 3 in another hour or two of playing. As others have said, the MM only looks at whether the ships are of the same tier in these ranked matches, and then that the players are in the same rank bracket, which is just a range of current ranks among the players waiting to get in a game.

If you want to see something that can give you a measure of a player's skill rather than their current rank in a ranked season I recommend having a look at https://na.wows-numbers.com/

Matchmaking does not take relative skill into account in any way in any game mode. But thousands of people playing in a pretty random "are they the same tier ships" matchmaking algorithm will occasionally offer up a team full of great players versus a team full of potatoes.

I think I can understand why you might, after suffering a beat-down like that (was on the receiving end of one like that myself today), want to find some external reason that needs to be "fixed" but there really isn't anything that needs to be done here. Ranked MM groups players into matches according to brackets. Ranks 2-5 are all in the same bracket, as is reflected in the image you shared. Beyond that, MM does not look at it.

I sincerely hope this makes sense to you.

Respects,

Am