Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
_greifer

Ranked Sprints

17 comments in this topic

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
807 posts
7,042 battles

I wanted to say thanks to the WG team for running ranked sprints.

They were a delight to take out vessels that don't often see the light of day, and when in a format such as ranked, these vessels can be quite good.

It was a great change from the T 10 meta of late, between Clan Battles and previous seasons of ranked.

Hopefully the participation and positive feedback will have WG look at another tier for ranked battles, just to keep things interesting and fun for the player-base. The two sprints were fun most of all, playing against good players in division was a new welcome challenge. 

The team sizes were a good test as well. To small and it became BB heavy. 8v8 means there were more cruisers generally in game which is good, otherwise there might need to be a hard limit to BB's as no one wants a 7v7 BB game in ranked.

• Cool 6

[1NJSE]
Members
293 posts
6,280 battles
1 hour ago, _greifer said:

The team sizes were a good test as well. To small and it became BB heavy. 8v8 means there were more cruisers generally in game which is good, otherwise there might need to be a hard limit to BB's as no one wants a 7v7 BB game in ranked.

I had one game that was me and 7BB's, the red DD was focus fired and then it was fish-in-a-barrel time.  The only thing that would have been better was if the game mode was Epicenter.  Hilarious for me, some of the BB's had a giggle at the start.

To be fair, I can see how it would get tiresome for the BB's if it happened on a regular basis.  I somehow think that if it did happened often (like every other game), people would naturally start playing DD's and soon after, Cruisers to cancel the advantage of a particular class thus leveling the classes being played.  Putting an artificial limit on the number of a single or even 2 classes in a particular battle or mode, to my mind, is an artificial way of manipulating the balance of the game. This is like what a bookie does, they change the odds on the outcome of a game to encourage people to bet on a less certain thing.  In this case, they encourage you to use a different class by making you wait longer in the queue - not a good way to balance anything.

A regular imbalance between the classes will only happen in a few situations:

1. When there is a mission that everyone needs to complete by a specific time which is bad planning as you should rather have multiple alternate ways of completing the same challenge (think along the lines of a single task that requires 500 main battery hits OR 20 torpedo hits - you can progress in both of these but can only complete one of them), or
  2. When there is an obvious strength or perceived strength of a particular class over others in the specific meta, or
  3. When you have the ability to consistently, with a particular ship or class, score high (to save your star in Ranked setting), or
  4. When certain ships have a multiplying effect on others like for example high shell arcs that can go over mountains which are multiplied by a DD spotting or Cruiser radar-ing a hidden target. 
  5. I am sure you can come up with other situations

All of this speaks to balance, real or perceived, and WG dealing with that balance in an artificial manner. 

Edited by Squib_Surefire
  • Cool 1

Members
1 post
585 battles

Is there a list available to up and coming ranked seasons? I am new to the forums and not sure exactly how to find all the information I need. I wish I knew sooner about the sprint ranked V I would have been involved from day 1. My fault for not knowing. 

I guess my question is this. Is there a forum or a website dedicated solely to ranked game play in warships? Mainly what the next season will be as far as tiers and the schedule for it.

Thanks

• Boring 1

[CSM]
[CSM]
Members
462 posts
4,645 battles

I ranked out on the last one and had a lot of fun, but decided to skip this one. 

I wish they had chosen another tier for this one 6,7 or maybe even 3 would have motivated me to try it again.

why do t5 twice in a row?

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
1,136 posts
7,853 battles
46 minutes ago, HighFriction said:

Is there a list available to up and coming ranked seasons? I am new to the forums and not sure exactly how to find all the information I need. I wish I knew sooner about the sprint ranked V I would have been involved from day 1. My fault for not knowing. 

I guess my question is this. Is there a forum or a website dedicated solely to ranked game play in warships? Mainly what the next season will be as far as tiers and the schedule for it.

Thanks

Not that I'm aware of.  They haven't announced anything beyond the current Ranked Sprint 2 season which ends in about a week.  Keep an eye on the main WOWS page news feed for details on upcoming events.  They aren't usually announced until shortly before they start.  

[SALVO]
Members
20,575 posts
20,433 battles
4 hours ago, _greifer said:

They were a delight to take out vessels that don't often see the light of day, and when in a format such as ranked, these vessels can be quite good.

It was a great change from the T 10 meta of late, between Clan Battles and previous seasons of ranked.

Hopefully the participation and positive feedback will have WG look at another tier for ranked battles, just to keep things interesting and fun for the player-base. The two sprints were fun most of all, playing against good players in division was a new welcome challenge. 

Says who?  It's always annoying reading a poster who thinks that he speaks for everyone when he writes "no one wants …".

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,575 posts
20,433 battles
1 hour ago, DarkStormy said:

I ranked out on the last one and had a lot of fun, but decided to skip this one. 

I wish they had chosen another tier for this one 6,7 or maybe even 3 would have motivated me to try it again.

why do t5 twice in a row?

Testing purposes.  The two seasons had one difference, team size.  If they changed the tier as well, then the test wouldn't be as good, because they'd have introduced two variables instead of one.  It makes all the sense in the world to have kept everything except team size constant.

When you're testing, you want to limit the number of variables to as small a number as possible.  In this case, it was possible to limit it to one, team size.

[S0L0]
Alpha Tester
2,394 posts
3,390 battles

I'm enjoying I suppose though,  Rank 3 is about to make me break a keyboard.   I think I am nearly 40 very ugly games in that rank and am still sitting there..  I suppose that's where I belong?    2nd I think the meta is way too much DD & BB dependent.   Cruisers seem pretty pointless honestly.  I see a rare CV contribute and most of the time that leads to all the same old imbalance issues.    If you really aren't good in it - not sure why players  bring them to ranked?  I had a player with 60 games in a Bogue at 28% w/r yesterday.... matched against a very competent captain.. You can guess how that went.   I may take a day or two break and come back and see if I can get it together...  Finishing failing my way to the top.    

[-K-]
Members
1,136 posts
7,853 battles

I totally agree greifer.  I had a very fun time with Ranked Sprint.  In season 1 I divved with a few folks and that felt great.  Having a teammate you can count on and coordinate well with was a lot of fun.  In the second season I played 100% solo but I had a great run and ranked out quickly without losing a star once.

My only suggestion would be to make it so that rank 1 players can keep playing in divs with their friends/clanmates.  It's been disappointing for some late comers to find that all their buddies have already ranked out and they have to play alone.

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 1

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
648 posts
6,229 battles
2 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

My only suggestion would be to make it so that rank 1 players can keep playing in divs with their friends/clanmates.

Ah, heck no. you and your [-k-] buddies can rank out and stay out! ya seal clubber!!! (said with much love and respect). 

[-TD-]
Beta Testers
2,480 posts
21,338 battles

I'm not a seal clubber . I'm more of a Potato being clubbed by the seal clubber .  In the 1st Mini sprint rank  I ranked out within 24 hours and in the 2nd mini sprint rank I ranked with-in 2 days . I've never had an interest to do rank battles . But it being a tier (5) I decided to give it a go and to my surprise found this mini sprint rank battles very enjoyable  …………….. with nice gifts to top it off ………. I wished they added  Steel to the prize ………..

[SALVO]
Members
20,575 posts
20,433 battles
23 minutes ago, RightYouAreKen said:

My only suggestion would be to make it so that rank 1 players can keep playing in divs with their friends/clanmates.  It's been disappointing for some late comers to find that all their buddies have already ranked out and they have to play alone.

18 minutes ago, skillztowin said:

Ah, heck no. you and your [-k-] buddies can rank out and stay out! ya seal clubber!!! (said with much love and respect). 

I'm with skillz on this.  If you rank out, you should not be able to keep playing.  Period.

[1NJSE]
Members
293 posts
6,280 battles
21 minutes ago, Crucis said:

If you rank out, you should not be able to keep playing.  Period. 

It would not surprise me if there are some people that should have ranked out but instead throw a couple games so that they can continue playing a competitive mode.  I had a game  where the rest of the team were raging at someone because for a number of games he would just yolo into a cap and die so he was either epic-ly bad, trolling, or wanted to loose a couple stars.  If someone really wants to put in the effort, there are always ways to game the system.

[INTEL]
Members
1,519 posts
10,516 battles
2 hours ago, RA6E_ said:

Cruisers seem pretty pointless honestly.  

Most of the time I agree.  There were several times where I was seeing 4 DDs per side, game after game.  I jumped in the Marblehead and cleaned up.  When that mix ended, I went back to a DD.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
776 posts
6,596 battles
7 hours ago, _greifer said:

Yup, it was fun running into you, ToxicSymphony and RightYouAreKen several times while trying to rank out my main and alt accounts. Fun times, fun battles :)

• Cool 1

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
776 posts
6,596 battles
2 hours ago, RightYouAreKen said:

I totally agree greifer.  I had a very fun time with Ranked Sprint.  In season 1 I divved with a few folks and that felt great.  Having a teammate you can count on and coordinate well with was a lot of fun.  In the second season I played 100% solo but I had a great run and ranked out quickly without losing a star once.

I actually found to the same thing to be true. I had greater success running solo than I did while being a part of a div. 

Sign in to follow this