You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
willob

Axis and Allies

14 comments in this topic

[WTFAW]
Members
70 posts
11,847 battles

How about an Axis and Allies event like fire and ice, sharks and eagles ?

• Cool 2

Members
1,999 posts
78 battles
13 minutes ago, willob said:

And then everybody will side with the Allies "because they won the war".

[WTFAW]
Members
70 posts
11,847 battles

I don't think so, there are a lot of good German and Japanese ships, maybe have the ability to swap teams also

[SPTR]
Members
26,574 posts
12,545 battles

Allies is overloaded with nations Im scared they might put my french ships on the axis side! /;°_\\

[KOOKS]
Alpha Tester
2,846 posts
4,855 battles
8 minutes ago, Rolkatsuki said:

Allies is overloaded with nations Im scared they might put my french ships on the axis side! /;°_\\

Going by Planes they consider French and China Allies.

...at least WoWS has Italy...

[WOLF3]
Members
19,778 posts
18,185 battles
2 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Considering this is NA server also...  But if we go with a supposed equal player representation between Axis & Allied teams, IMO it still looks bad for Axis.  Why?  Allies for the sheer selection of capabilities.  Especially Radar.

The BB Lineups will be interesting.

Axis has IJN gunnery and IJN 460 Overmatch.

German Turtlebacks and Secondaries.

German BB Hydrro

The 3 Torpedo BBs are German.

Best BB AA are Allied.

RN BB HE.

French BB secondaries to contend with German secondaries.

Missouri Radar.

Lots of thick deck armor on upper tier Axis BBs.  50mm decks on plenty of German BBs, 57mm or so in Izumo and Yamato-class.  This means that they eat less raw HE damage as more HE shells that land on these portions of the ship will Non-Pen and do no direct shell damage.  Fires?  Still can happen, but it's a lot better to only eat Fire damage and not eat a bunch of HE shell damage on top of that.  On the flip side, lots of thin 32mm armor sections found on RN and French BBs.  They are highly susceptible to HE spam.

Cruisers:

***All the Radar Cruisers are Allied***  This is a highly significant advantage!

The best Cruiser AA are mostly in Allied lines.

German and IJN Cruiser Gunnery as a whole, are good at range.

German Cruiser HE Pen lets them get HE shell damage very easily.  They will HE Pen even the 50mm decks found on Moskva, etc.

IJN CA HE shells are fire starters.

+/- USN Cruisers with their floaty shells are a problem hitting distant targets with, but they can lob these things over islands and can be a PITA to deal with.

USN CA & RN CL AP with their special bounce angles.

USN CA SHS AP shells for Tier VIII+.

Allied Cruiser Spammers:  Atlanta, Worcester, Minotaur.

RU Cruiser Railguns to give Allied Cruisers open water, long ranged lazorz.

High Tier IJN CA Stealth + Long Ranged Torpedoes are dangerous defensively and for kiting.

German Hydro is the best Hydro in the game, and German Cruisers have the best of the best of German Hydro.

Destroyers:

IJN Gunboats of the Akizuki family are quite strong as Gunboats.

Heavy torpedo loads from IJN DDs.  TRB consumables are IJN DD-only.

The Allies look really good here for being more rounded cap contesters while still having notable torpedo boats like Fletcher, Gearing, Yueyang, Chung Mu.

RU DDs for Gunboating.

USN DD smoke.

Allied DDs operating with the advantage of All Radar Cruisers are on their side.  How would you like to play an Allied DD and know for a fact that every single Radar ship in the game is ON YOUR SIDE NO MATTER WHAT?  Even the ONE Battleship with Radar is Allied.

All the DDs that can realistically take a decent or great AA Spec and have Defensive Fire are all Allied DDs.

German DDs operating with Hydro eventually.

There are some good Axis DDs but as a whole, the array of Allied DDs are just too good in options and capabilities.

Carriers:

For most of the tiers, IJN CVs are extremely strong.  Zuiho is the only one that cannot go toe-to-toe with a US CV.  Every other IJN CV is straight up better or on par.

Graf Zeppelin, Kaga, Taiho, Hakuryu for Axis Strike Shennanigans.

IJN Triple TB Strike Specs in Tier VII (Kaga), IX-X.

Lots of Stinker USN CVs in the game:  Tier VI-IX, especially VII-IX.

More common AP Bomber access is found on Allied CVs.  Graf Zeppelin is he only AP bomber capable Axis CV.

The most vulnerable BBs to AP Bombers are Axis... German Battleships.

Midway is Allied.

Best performance USN CVs will lean very heavily on Langley, Bogue, Premium Enterprise, Midway.

Axis CVs will be dealing with most of the game's best AA being concentrated in Allied Ship Lines.  Best BB AA?  Allied.  Best Cruiser AA?  Allied.  Even a number of USN DDs can be specced for surprising AA and going so far as to have Defensive Fire.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[SPTR]
Members
2,255 posts
1,184 battles
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Best BB AA are Allied.

Gneisenau disagrees.

Although I do concede that she is the exception

Edited by 7_3_PowerStroke
  • Cool 1

[RKLES]
Members
8,965 posts
10,828 battles
6 hours ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

That was mainly from industrial might to send overwhelming numbers of ships, planes, and tanks at the Axis Powers. When a Tiger tank could easily win a 1vs1 fight with Sherman or T-34. Or a in terms of power stats an IJN CA or DD was stronger than an allied CA on average.Same can be said about some of CVs, subs, and BBs when numbers are added up in 1 on 1 fight. But when you can send far more in terms if quantity it can settle the matter of perhaps being individually weaker often times.

Germany and Japan both knew they would be able to build few numbers than the allies so they tried to make what they did build of higher quality innthe hopes of being able to even things out with the allies greater numbers. But the allies proved they could counter that idea by sending even greater quantities to deal with the problem.

[SALVO]
Members
20,565 posts
20,417 battles
7 hours ago, willob said:

I think that it'd be best to save this idea until the Italians have a fairly fully populated tech tree, i.e. at least BBs, cruisers, and DDs.

Personally, I'd rather they went for a different format than the sharks and eagles event.  I didn't like how teams were very imbalanced in numbers of players.  I'd rather that they'd avoid any sense of semi-competitive event for this.  I think that I'd rather see something more like a traditional "Campaign" or maybe an event like the current British one, that's similar to the traditional campaigns, but without the need to worry about task slots.

Also, I'd rather that the tasks weren't about doing whatever TO allied (or axis) ships, but to do whatever while IN allied (or axis) ships.  When a task is about doing whatever TO a certain type or nation of ship, it can become difficult to complete because people may shy away from those ships because they don't want to be targets.  But when the task is about doing whatever while IN a certain type or nation of ship, you have control over whether you're playing those ships and don't have to worry about what everyone else is bringing and whether there will be enough of them for everyone to farm.

Also, with an Axis and Allies campaign, there should  be separate Axis and Allies tasks.  This might seem obvious, but it's worth saying regardless.

And in closing, I'd like to also suggest that some more operations should be made to have Axis or Allies only.  For example, the Final Frontier operation has USN ships as the enemies.  So it seems to me that the players should have to bring Axis ships only.  Or the Aegis operation (i.e. the convoy rescue operation) that has Japanese ships as the enemies should be an Allies operation.

[SALVO]
Members
20,565 posts
20,417 battles
1 hour ago, Raven114 said:

This might wake up the ugly head of Politic's. Which is against WG Rules.

It's only a problem if people try to talk about the war itself rather than just sticking to the idea of a Axis and Allies in-game event.

[WOLF3]
Members
19,778 posts
18,185 battles
10 hours ago, 7_3_PowerStroke said:

Gneisenau disagrees.

Although I do concede that she is the exception

Texas

Colorado

Lyon

North Carolina

Alabama

Richelieu

Iowa

Missouri

Montana

I excluded numerous Allied BBs that on paper, have the foundation for great AA, but because they tend to be specced for something else I kept them off that list, like:  Alsace (Secondaries), Republique (Secondaries or Main Battery), Monarch / Lion / Conqueror (Main Battery).

I also have Gneisenau in AA Spec and know what she can do.  But even you have to acknowledge, that an AA Gneisenau is a super rare, niche BB Build.  People either do Secondary Spec or Main Battery Builds for her.  Bismarck, Konig, Bayern, FDG, GK, even Yamato can have good to great AA... If spec'ed for it.  But you know for a fact, AA Builds on these Axis BBs are exceedingly rare.  Meanwhile, USN BBs take AA because it's the only thing they can do.

[SPTR]
Members
2,255 posts
1,184 battles
13 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I also have Gneisenau in AA Spec and know what she can do.  But even you have to acknowledge, that an AA Gneisenau is a super rare, niche BB Build.  People either do Secondary Spec or Main Battery Builds for her.  Bismarck, Konig, Bayern, FDG, GK, even Yamato can have good to great AA... If spec'ed for it.  But you know for a fact, AA Builds on these Axis BBs are exceedingly rare.  Meanwhile, USN BBs take AA because it's the only thing they can do.

Yes I cannot deny that. The main reason I AA spec'd her was because I have Scarn secondary built and another captain for Bismarck. It is fun, and I was seeing a lot more CV's at T6-7 so it helps there. 

But yes, she is the exception, and all the BB's you listed are usually built for other things, with the possible exception of Texas. I was just pointing out that there are a few Axis BB's that can have good AA. If this were to become a mid-tier event, there may suddenly be more AA spec'd Axis BB's. Who knows?

[HINON]
Privateers, In AlfaTesters
7,595 posts
2,105 battles

For reasons already stated (especially in regards to radar), it would be extremely difficult to make an Axis vs Allies event in the style of Clash of Elements. 

That being said, it would be interesting if we were given co-op events that allow you to play as Axis ships - as of now, you've only been able to play as Allied ships. I really don't care about this so much from a 'I wanna reenact historical stuff from an Axis PoV' so much as I think it's somewhat annoying due to the fact it hurts our ability to level up German, Italian, and Japanese ships via these fun events, and excludes us from getting goodies if we only happen to have high tier ships of these nations. Thus, it would be nice to get an Axis-themed operation. 

As for Axis vs Allied stuff... there is a way to make some interesting events around it, if you were prepared to make one side focused on killing an enemy, team 'boss' - ex, Allied ships vs German or Italian battleships - the Allied Goal is to protect transports, the Axis goal is to sink them. Stuff like that.