You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
CTMAADawson

$10 for Texas?

10 comments in this topic

[SPV]
Members
223 posts
5,210 battles

I'm not a super huge fan of Battleships, so I'm wondering if $10 for a ship I probably won't enjoy is worth it. If I do buy it, I'll probably buy those T2 dollar DDs while I'm at it.

• Angry 1

[FTH]
Members
996 posts
13,892 battles

It's normally 25 dollars....so if you don't have it and like the US Standard play, I'd go for it...I picked mine up back in the Steam sale the first time around just to get the camo for it.

[HUNGS]
Members
1,661 posts
3,603 battles

Its basically a slightly worse NY with T8 levels of AA which newer CV captains don't know about and you get to wipe out 20-30 of their planes while taking no damage in return. I can feel the heat right now when I say slightly worse, to be fare its a half a knot slower, slightly slower rudder shift and NY has more main gun range because the Texas didn't get the range buff that NY got last year. Oh and the Texas has slightly better gun angles, so she has at least that other than her [edited] levels of AA. The reason why its one of the top T5 BBs even now is because since CVs either melt to your AA or avoid you, this allows you to be in the fight longer because most T5 BBs have craptastic AA, especially if they face a T7 CV. My best plane kill match in my Texas was when a Kaga thought I would be a easy target, I shot down everyone of his planes and he didn't get hit with a single bomb or torpedo on me

[SIM]
Members
3,594 posts
5,723 battles

Absolutely not. WG is currently testing changes to the game's damage model that largely make Texas' armor completely ineffective. Now is the wrong time to buy the ship, deep sale or otherwise.

• Cool 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,426 posts
6,032 battles

It was my first premium, since like many I got it free with an invite code when I started playing. It comes down to whether you like playing at T5.  It's strong for its tier, but you're usually uptiered.  And if you do end up progressing up the BB lines, the slowness of both the ship itself and its reload time start to be not fun. I played it in mini-ranked because it was my only T5 premium, and I could put a high point captain on it, but before then I couldn't tell you the last time I played it.  I sold off almost every T5 because they're just not fun to play when facing T7 most of the time. 

[SHOOT]
[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
2,596 posts
9,819 battles
1 hour ago, S7CentNickel said:

That's a good price.  Texas is an upgraded NY with great AA.  The CVs tend to avoid you as much as possible!

Texas also has better firing arcs on her center turret.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,762 posts
10,986 battles

It is an excellent price and it is a very good ship that is a no fly zone for tier 5 & 6 CV's even without spec'ing for AA and if you ever want to go up the US BB line will be a excellent trainer and is a great choice for Ranked Sprint.

[INTEL]
Members
10,029 posts
28,181 battles
1 hour ago, SkaerKrow said:

Absolutely not. WG is currently testing changes to the game's damage model that largely make Texas' armor completely ineffective. Now is the wrong time to buy the ship, deep sale or otherwise.

This. Hold off til they nix those changes. If they go through, dont waste your money on Tx

• Cool 2

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
7,441 posts
20,372 battles
3 hours ago, CTMAADawson said:

I'm not a super huge fan of Battleships, so I'm wondering if $10 for a ship I probably won't enjoy is worth it. If I do buy it, I'll probably buy those T2 dollar DDs while I'm at it.

If you don't have an interest in battleships or an attachment to the Texas then it really isn't worth it. She can be a frustrating ship to play especially in PvP matches where you face lots of tier 7s. She is slow and easily damaged but her AA makes her a bit of a troll when there are enemy carriers around. She is often given away as a prize or reward, spending real money on her is probably not a good idea. Save your money and wait for something you actually want to go on sale. There will be many opportunities coming up for Thanksgiving and Christmas. 

• Cool 2