DouglasMacAwful

Downvote brigading

18 comments in this topic

[N-W-T]
Members
1,426 posts
6,032 battles

I don't think downvotes have any affect, but recently I've had someone downvote multiple (7) posts all within a 2 minute window. Non-controversial comments in threads that sometimes went back over a week -- like they just brought up my post history and went through them, downvoting each. This has happened multiple times.  And I'm pretty sure I know who it is, since a user ingeniously PM'd me that he was going to downvote all my posts when I corrected him in an XP thread over a month ago. The recent slew of downvotes was 8 hours ago and this user last logged on... 8 hours ago. 

Is there any way to report this and get this clown to stop?  I reported the PM he sent over a month ago saying he would downvote me, but no way to tell if anything was done. 

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,055 posts
37 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I don't think downvotes have any affect, but recently I've had someone downvote multiple (7) posts all within a 2 minute window. Non-controversial comments in threads that sometimes went back over a week -- like they just brought up my post history and went through them, downvoting each. This has happened multiple times.  And I'm pretty sure I know who it is, since a user ingeniously PM'd me that he was going to downvote all my posts when I corrected him in an XP thread over a month ago. The recent slew of downvotes was 8 hours ago and this user last logged on... 8 hours ago. 

Is there any way to report this and get this clown to stop?  I reported the PM he sent over a month ago saying he would downvote me, but no way to tell if anything was done. 

I'll post too...  But I'll probably get downvoted as well.

Could be some joker with 7 'player' secondary accounts - just to do these pranks.

Would be nice to right-click and have their names pop up.

Gave you an up-vote to compensate...  so it wasn't me.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts

The forums are all about people's opinions in the main and unfortunately some people do not like it if you do not agree with their opinion lol. Sometimes they can't even agree to disagree lol.

Let whoever is down voting you do it, if they have a reason and explain in the post at least you know why. If they just down vote and can't even support their take on things, then I just look at it as a little child blowing a raspberry - something I can laugh at and move on. :Smile_honoring:

Exhibit One: A Boring Emote....:Smile_teethhappy:

Edited by _WaveRider_
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
19,762 posts
10,986 battles
6 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

The forums are all about people's opinions in the main and unfortunately some people do not like it if you do not agree with their opinion lol. Sometimes they can't even agree to disagree lol.

Let whoever is down voting you do it, if they have a reason and explain in the post at least you know why. If they just down vote and can't even support their take on things, then I just look at it as a little child blowing a raspberry - something I can laugh at and move on. :Smile_honoring:

I have no problem with people down voting one of my posts but have the guts to post why that post is bad.

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1

[N-W-T]
Members
1,426 posts
6,032 battles

I'm guessing the downvotes are jokes in a post about downvoting, maybe not.

It isn't about downvoting a particular post.  It's about downvoting multiple posts in a one-minute window, some of those posts weeks old, every couple of weeks.  It's pure spite.  And I don't think it's a coincidence those downvotes were 8 hours old and this guy logged in exactly 8 hours ago.  The PM from this guy (after explaining to him that captain XP can never be lower than XP in a game, he argued, i asked him to show me an example of a game where captain XP was less than XP):

"Just to let you know know I'm going to downvote every post of yours  I see hope it makes your day."

Spoiler

spite.thumb.png.328f14c994eafe6da1c0b297e5522a9a.png

Edited by DouglasMacAwful
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts
4 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

I'm guessing the downvotes are jokes in a post about downvoting, maybe not.

It isn't about downvoting a particular post.  It's about downvoting multiple posts in a one-minute window, some of those posts weeks old, every couple of weeks.  It's pure spite.  And I don't think it's a coincidence those downvotes were 8 hours old and this guy logged in exactly 8 hours ago.  The PM from this guy (after explaining to him that captain XP can never be lower than XP in a game, he argued, i asked him to show me an example of a game where captain XP was less than XP):

"Just to let you know know I'm going to downvote every post of yours  I see hope it makes your day."

I know it is an easy thing for me to say, but it is only 'pure spite' if you allow it to affect you. If you don't let it bother you then you can start looking at it merely being someone throwing a tantrum - as it is nothing that can hurt you, what does it matter.

Also what is the point in downvoting something so old no one is going to see it? It is laughable lol. Of course words can cause injury, but consider that practically know one on these forums actually knows you or what you are about and you can look at down votes as what they are - nothing without an explanation to back them up. :Smile_honoring:

And I have no idea about XP values unless I'm using signals and camo trying to affect a result for a particular mission; otherwise I play the game for enjoyment.

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
20,548 posts
20,397 battles
34 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Some people will just not like you and will downvote or "yawn vote" every post you make.  Honestly, I wish that they'd get rid of this entire upvote, downvote, etc. system.  And let posts stand as written.  And if someone doesn't like what you have to say, then they should have to write a post of their own saying so and having to put their name to a contrary opinion, instead of these anonymous up/downvotes.

• Cool 2

[SALVO]
Members
20,548 posts
20,397 battles
5 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I know it is an easy thing for me to say, but it is only 'pure spite' if you allow it to affect you. If you don't let it bother you then you can start looking at it merely being someone throwing a tantrum - as it is nothing that can hurt you, what does it matter.

Also what is the point in downvoting something so old no one is going to see it? It is laughable lol. Of course words can cause injury, but consider that practically know one on these forums actually knows you or what you are about and you can look at down votes as what they are - nothing without an explanation to back them up. :Smile_honoring:

And I have no idea about XP values unless I'm using signals and camo trying to affect a result for a particular mission; otherwise I play the game for enjoyment.

You're wrong.  It's pure spite regardless of how it affects you.  Spite isn't an emotion of the person receiving the downvote.  It's the emotion of the person GIVING the downvote.

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

Some people will just not like you and will downvote or "yawn vote" every post you make.  Honestly, I wish that they'd get rid of this entire upvote, downvote, etc. system.  And let posts stand as written.  And if someone doesn't like what you have to say, then they should have to write a post of their own saying so and having to put their name to a contrary opinion, instead of these anonymous up/downvotes.

Agree, I think someone once said it allows people to see if your comments were correct or not - when in fact all it does is indicate whether people agree with you (not if you are right or wrong).

• Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts
9 minutes ago, Crucis said:

You're wrong.  It's pure spite regardless of how it affects you.  Spite isn't an emotion of the person receiving the downvote.  It's the emotion of the person GIVING the downvote.

I disagree because I am merely talking about my reaction to downvotes; they may be trying to be spiteful, but it means absolutely nothing to me.

I really don't try and understand what emotion another person is trying to project with a downvote, I'm not that good a mind reader - the best I can come up with now, is they are trying to be negative (and as it hasn't worked, then they have failed). A simplistic view but it works for me. :Smile_Default:

As stated some words/actions can hurt, but I certainly won't lose sleep over it (that doesn't mean they won't affect another person differently). :Smile_honoring:

Edited by _WaveRider_

[SALVO]
Members
20,548 posts
20,397 battles
1 minute ago, _WaveRider_ said:

I disagree because I am merely talking about my reaction to downvotes; they may be trying to be spiteful, but it means absolutely nothing to me.

I really don't try and understand what emotion another person is trying to project with a downvote, I'm not that good a mind reader - the best I can come up with now, is they are trying to be negative (and as it hasn't worked, then they have failed). A simplistic view but it works for me. :Smile_Default:

As stated some words actions can hurt, but I certainly won't lose sleep over it (that doesn't mean they won't affect another person differently). :Smile_honoring:

You're not getting it.  Even if you don't give a flying bleep about whether they're being spiteful, that DOES NOT CHANGE the fact that they are indeed being spiteful.  You have no say in the matter.

It's like if another person says that they hate you.  You may not care, but that doesn't change how THEY feel.  Spitefulness is about how the spiteful person feels.  It's NOT about how you feel.

[SALVO]
Members
20,548 posts
20,397 battles
10 minutes ago, _WaveRider_ said:

Agree, I think someone once said it allows people to see if your comments were correct or not - when in fact all it does is indicate whether people agree with you (not if you are right or wrong).

Agreed.  Personally, I don't give a bleep whether 99 people disagree with my opinion on something.  If I'm absolutely certain that I'm right, then I firmly believe that I'm a majority of one.

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

You're not getting it.  Even if you don't give a flying bleep about whether they're being spiteful, that DOES NOT CHANGE the fact that they are indeed being spiteful.  You have no say in the matter.

It's like if another person says that they hate you.  You may not care, but that doesn't change how THEY feel.  Spitefulness is about how the spiteful person feels.  It's NOT about how you feel.

Nope, I get it. What I believe you are doing is automatically attributing spite to what this person has done regarding downvoting, because the OP mentioned the phrase 'pure spite'. In fact unless the downvoting individual has personally told you the reason you don't know anything about whether he intended to be spiteful or anything else.

What I am saying is I have no idea what a person who downvotes me, is actually down voting me for if there is no explanation. So if I have no idea why, then how can I attribute any 'spite, malicious, evil, ungodly like behaviour etc etc' description to it? I can't because I do not know.

So if I don't know why he is downvoting, why should I make a description up for it such as 'pure spite'? Of course you can jump to any conclusion you wish, that is your right. :Smile_Default:

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
6,055 posts

My biggest 'butthurt' downvote came off the Belgrano subject.

I wanted it in the game..  Some folks saying they represented Argentina did not want it in the game.  I got hundreds of downvotes.

So I asked some folks who set up memorials around Argentina.  These folks honor those fallen and speak on their behalf.  What I found out is disturbing.

There is a right-wing faction down there trying to destroy history.  They are vandalizing or stealing the memorial stones, spray painting the graves, and forming protests outside government functions honoring those fallen combatants.  They are trying to erase the Malvinas (Falklands) battle from their history books.

The good guys would be thrilled to have the Belgrano in the game.  The bad guys are probably peeved we named a flag Port Belgrano.

Trolls are everywhere in forums like these.  It's like watching a Jerry Springer show where annoying people are shouting everyone down.

[DAKI]
Privateers, Members
8,426 posts
7,354 battles
1 hour ago, cecill611 said:

What they need is a disagree vote that will not give you a down vote.

Wouldn't it be better if instead of dropping an anonymus disagree vote, that you would instead reply to said person and state why? Because otherwise you might as well downvote, it's on the bottom line the exact same.

Members
143 posts
1,933 battles
5 hours ago, Crucis said:

I disagree on removing the upvote/downvote system. For one, it’s an easy way to measure, aside from trolls like the OP has, how popular or unpopular an idea or post is. Secondly, say you like what someone said but don’t have a vote system. You’ll either have to post some sort of generic “Well said” comment, or not say anything at all. Either option is bad because you’ll either get excessively long threads or no feedback whatsoever. Thirdly, while it removes some anonyminity, I’m pretty sure angry trolls would still pull their usual crap. (Really, even if a profile is attached to an action it is still kinda anonymous, on the internet anyone can claim to be anyone...) 

I do agree however that it’s nice to have someone give a reason for their dissent however. (Especially on a thread like this where a downvote would just look like a troll...) 

Huh, this is my first post in months where I’m not ranting about Mac problems...

Edited by CRGKevin
  • Cool 1

[USCC2]
Members
4,773 posts
7 hours ago, CRGKevin said:

I disagree on removing the upvote/downvote system. For one, it’s an easy way to measure, aside from trolls like the OP has, how popular or unpopular an idea or post is. Secondly, say you like what someone said but don’t have a vote system. You’ll either have to post some sort of generic “Well said” comment, or not say anything at all. Either option is bad because you’ll either get excessively long threads or no feedback whatsoever. Thirdly, while it removes some anonyminity, I’m pretty sure angry trolls would still pull their usual crap. (Really, even if a profile is attached to an action it is still kinda anonymous, on the internet anyone can claim to be anyone...) 

I do agree however that it’s nice to have someone give a reason for their dissent however. (Especially on a thread like this where a downvote would just look like a troll...) 

Reveal hidden contents

Huh, this is my first post in months where I’m not ranting about Mac problems...

Some very good points - Upvote! :Smile_Default: