TheURLGuy

Let’s Talk About "Truth or Bullship? - USS Eldridge and the "Philadelphia Experiment""

63 comments in this topic

[W-D]
Members
2 posts
5,660 battles

I agree more research is needed to be sure. But one thing about that time period is that the military was always trying just about any wild ideas to get a technical jump on Russia. It wouldn't surprise me if something like this was tried. As far as his gruesome details I doubt it. Their is so much research that goes on behind the scenes that we won't hear about for 50 years nothing truly surprise me. I enjoyed your article on it. 

Alpha Tester
5,925 posts
2,876 battles

Cool story? Yes.

Did it happen? No. There is almost certainly a good explanation for it, like how Area 51 is almost certainly the USAF's prototype development base.

• Cool 1

[BS]
Members
1,431 posts
7,785 battles

Yes, it happened. Anyone with an understanding of physics knows that you can cancel ordinary light. They do it in metamaterial labs right now. Do you have noise canceling headphones? Same principle.

What they did was oscillate the hull of the ship at the same frequency as the light hitting it, so it created a that bizarre effect. The sailors going crazy and fusing into the ship is probably the [edited] part, because they don't want you to know they have real invisibility cloaks :-p

EJ

• Cool 1

Members
81 posts
20,780 battles

Well, I think it is a story told by a sailor with a very good imagination. If an experiment did take place and he is the only account, then why would the US Government not disavow his account? 

You could say that it served a better purpose to have a "story" so ridiculous, that it would be hard to believe. 

The real story is lost to time or in some classified file somewhere in the Pentagon. 

Whatever it may be, it has been a well kept secret so far. And you will never get them to admit to anything. 

You have to put the period in context. The atomic bomb was a secret, yet the Soviet Union did get enough information to develop their own with their espionage network. 

This one was truly well hidden. 

Logs can be faked. Paper is only as good as the person that wrote it. To make a good cover, you get very detailed, very fast, and you leave nothing to chance. 

Obviously, this incident , and its results, was probably transferred to Area 51 or another secure facility.  

We will never know. If it is that good, then it is a game changer and most likely dangerous to use.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
5,416 posts
17 minutes ago, HorrorRoach said:

Yes, it happened. Anyone with an understanding of physics knows that you can cancel ordinary light. They do it in metamaterial labs right now. Do you have noise canceling headphones? Same principle.

What they did was oscillate the hull of the ship at the same frequency as the light hitting it, so it created a that bizarre effect. The sailors going crazy and fusing into the ship is probably the [edited] part, because they don't want you to know they have real invisibility cloaks :-p

It supposedly happened in 1943.

If it was real, it was likely some sort of degaussing or radar-jamming experiment, greatly embellished by the letter-writer's imagination.

• Cool 2

[AFW]
Beta Testers
1,707 posts
17,235 battles

Find disposition of the ship and crew for and after that date referring to inconsistency and repairs after the date of the experiment. Besides, they did make a movie of it and is plausible. Cool stoy.

• Cool 1

Members
1,806 posts
11,365 battles

During WW2 both allies and enemies were involved with very secretive unconventional experiments. Some were very bazaar so we really don't know if it happened. It is plausible. What I find more fascinating is the disappearance of flight in the Bermuda Triangle 19 on Dec. 5, 1945.
A group of five fully fueled Grumman TBM Avenger torpedo bombers  with a crew of 14 suddenly and mysteriously  disappeared off the coast of Florida never to be found again. What takes this incident to the next level is the fact that a PBM Mariner with a crew of 13 was dispatched to search for the missing planes and it too disappeared without a trace. No debris from any of the planes has every been found. 

• Cool 2

Members
1 post
9,125 battles

I recently heard an interview from the 90's on the Art Bell show...He had a guy named Al Beilick(?) on his show who told all about this experiment...I believe he said it later became the Montauk Project!

• Cool 1

[M-OG]
[M-OG]
Members
5 posts
10,145 battles

The ship was just being degaussed to make it "invisible" to magnetic mines (like all navy ships now are).   And someone  took the word "invisible" too far through the rumor mill.    If there was an accident during the degaussing, it would produce a fire, and 2000amps would be enough to fuse a burnt corpse to the deck.   There were lots of experiment with different methods of degaussing...some of them that look stupid/dangerous in hindsight. 

[BEARS]
Members
5 posts
7,959 battles

there, was this man, his job, national security adviser, now, called, homeland security chief, he experienced, some interesting things, wile employed, protecting, our nation, and, presidents.  Roswell, Rainbow, Groom Lake, are, a, few of the events.  as, for, project Rainbow, yes, project did happen, and cloaking a ship was the plan, however, the power created, was more than expected, creating effects, that, cannot be explained easily.   Details, to, project Rainbow, is, clouded, in, smoke and mirrors. 

[BLHK]
Members
555 posts
3,685 battles

Years ago I was friends with a gentlemen who claimed to be involved with the experiment. He said the intention was never to make the ship invisible from visual observation but an early attempt at stealthing. The Eldridge was given a pre-determined course to sail, then two destroyers laid smoke between the Eldridge and observing radar ships. The radar ships were tasked with identifying and tracking the Eldridge as it sailed around. He was working with the radar men on one of those ships and did say the experiment was intermittently successful with the Eldridge popping in and out of radar contact.

He had no first hand knowledge of anything untoward occurring during this test on the Eldridge but did ponder if some sailors may have been affected by microwave leakage from whatever device they were using to try and jam the other ships radar.

• Cool 1

[SNAP]
Members
25 posts
15,854 battles

Some things are to big to hide, they would of had kill everyone on every ship saw it. Kind of like 9/11, if was faked than people on planes did die anyways...Im watching netflix series salvation now....It is very good,it kind of shows where our world is going with global warming and tribalism racism etc...Other words we ain't gonna make it.:)

Beta Testers
93 posts
8,323 battles

philly experiment was to fit DDs with degaussing equipment.   Funny thing about B fields is that you can end up with localized areas in the degaussing loops where the teslas can hit very high numbers, far higher than naturally occuring.

Degaussing was a method of looping wires around the hull of the ship to create an opposing B field ( magenetic field ) so that german mines that had magnetic detonators would not explode when a steel hull passes over them.

The effect of very high magnetic fields on human consciousness according to the CEMI theory proposes that EM fields can artificially replicate neurons firing at the dendrite gaps as well as propegation of the milivolt signal along the axon by faraday effects.... In short the degaussing tests may have had several sailors have BAD TRIPS.  Which to them become actual memories.

If your a sailor then some of the "visions" of that get talked about would have been deep seated fears of the crew; becoming one with the ship ( davey jones ), burned alive ( no where to run in a ship fire ), disappearing ( ghost ships ) etc etc.  It only makes sense that someone would try to capitalize around the time on the rumors.

Members
36 posts
2,419 battles

The experiment was to make the ship invisible to radar using a magnetic field similar to that which was used to make a ship immune to magnetic mines.

The basic theory was that if they increased the current in the degaussing cables the effect would bend the radar waves around the ship, since it was discovered that high magnetic fields affect radio waves.

The actual result was that the higher current in the cables basically turned the USS Eldridge into one really freaking big electromagnet, which affected the crew in various ways, mostly causing them to puke their last 8 meals up on the deck, made all electronic systems non-functional (neat trick in the era of vacuum tubes,) and of course pulling all loose iron based metal objects to the nearest bulkhead (this included brass plated steel belt buckles.)

The details of this and other early military experiments in electronically induced stealth technology was covered in various articles in the ARRL magazine (the publication for American HAM Operators) first published in the sixties and readdressed periodically since.

They were written by a HAM operator who has since gone 'dead key' (passed away) who was in the Navy from 1942-1960 and participated in various experiments using electrical fields to hide ships.

[BS]
Members
1,431 posts
7,785 battles
3 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

It supposedly happened in 1943.

If it was real, it was likely some sort of degaussing or radar-jamming experiment, greatly embellished by the letter-writer's imagination. 

That's the 1940's explanation, the government is like 30-50 years more advanced experimentally. All you need is an oscillator that can oscillate in the terahertz range visible light resides in, and a load/antenna (ship hull for example). Interestingly, metamaterials resonate passively via surface plasmons, which vibrate when struck by light. They release their own lightwaves, 180 deg out of phase to the incoming light, which then interferes/cancels the incoming light. It's pretty simple actually, but making it usable is more tricky. If you had an object that you wanted to cloak seamlessly, it would have to somehow know the exact lightwaves hitting it from all angles, and it would have to emit those same lightwaves perfectly in sync 180 deg out of phase. I think they'll be able to do this with quantum entanglement eventually.

Quantum entangled particles are naturally 180 deg out of phase, and when you alter one, the other one is altered instantaneously at a distance. These particles are created by sending a laser through birefringent GLASS. Maybe this is why they're working on metamaterials. It'll happen, only a matter of time.

The generic wave cancellation form of a invisiblity suit would cause that black void effect, making the object incredibly obvious during the day. or, the otherway would be where it looks like the movie predator, where it bends the light around it... also visible but not as much.

[AR]
[AR]
Members
356 posts
14,528 battles
2 hours ago, NEPats1stfan said:

I recently heard an interview from the 90's on the Art Bell show...He had a guy named Al Beilick(?) on his show who told all about this experiment...I believe he said it later became the Montauk Project!

Man Art Bell, RIP. Never will there be another like him =(

• Cool 1

[CUJO]
Members
2 posts
10,822 battles
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 10:22 AM, TheURLGuy said:

Everyone's favorite competitive World of Warships event is back for the 7th time!

Read it here!

5 hours ago, TheURLGuy said:

Sure, the experiment sounds spooky, but did it actually happen?

Read it here!

4 hours ago, IDAMAN_04 said:

Gonna say yes just because its a cool story

idk

4 hours ago, jloveless said:

I agree more research is needed to be sure. But one thing about that time period is that the military was always trying just about any wild ideas to get a technical jump on Russia. It wouldn't surprise me if something like this was tried. As far as his gruesome details I doubt it. Their is so much research that goes on behind the scenes that we won't hear about for 50 years nothing truly surprise me. I enjoyed your article on it. 

4 hours ago, Longhorn14 said:

They talk about the incident in a documentary on Netflix about Tesla

4 hours ago, 1Sherman said:

Cool story? Yes.

Did it happen? No. There is almost certainly a good explanation for it, like how Area 51 is almost certainly the USAF's prototype development base.

4 hours ago, s009toner said:

Of course it happened  :etc_red_button:

4 hours ago, HorrorRoach said:

EJ

4 hours ago, SteelRain_Rifleman said:

Well, I think it is a story told by a sailor with a very good imagination. If an experiment did take place and he is the only account, then why would the US Government not disavow his account? 

You could say that it served a better purpose to have a "story" so ridiculous, that it would be hard to believe. 

The real story is lost to time or in some classified file somewhere in the Pentagon. 

Whatever it may be, it has been a well kept secret so far. And you will never get them to admit to anything. 

You have to put the period in context. The atomic bomb was a secret, yet the Soviet Union did get enough information to develop their own with their espionage network. 

This one was truly well hidden. 

Logs can be faked. Paper is only as good as the person that wrote it. To make a good cover, you get very detailed, very fast, and you leave nothing to chance. 

Obviously, this incident , and its results, was probably transferred to Area 51 or another secure facility.  

We will never know. If it is that good, then it is a game changer and most likely dangerous to use.

:cap_horn:Gonna say yes just because its a cool story

[PANAT]
Members
12 posts
5,974 battles

During the war in the pacific, my grandfather was an officer on a DDE, he didn't mention where, and he said while one of the sailors in a neighboring ship was dumping garbage, a shark attacked the side of the DDE, causing a hole in the hull right at the engine room, causing sea water to enter and resulting in an explosion. He was watching thru binoculars off a bridge wing. I wrote to the Navy in regards to this, they wrote back that there was a torpedo attack, and one DDE was sunk of the 4-no ship names were mentioned. Interestingly, they all had sonar watches, and None heard a torpedo. 

Grandfather wasn't someone who was prone to tall tales, and had pictures when he was stationed at Lakehurst, NJ-Actual Hindenburg pics, and had burns on both arms that he wouldn't speak about, suggesting he had been involved with the attempt to rescue people in that incident. Since his death, I've been unable to locate the pics, but clearly remember them as close ups, not historical as from a book, and they were old and tattered like so many from those days. His history as a Naval Officer also lends credence to the other things he told us, which is why I didn't Join the Navy-shark attacks being a prime concern then and now. 

The shark he spoke of seeing was almost as long as the DDE he was watching. I believe a DDE was between 90 and 120feet in length, depending on the shipbuilder and the country of origin, indicating a length for the shark of between 60-80 feet, able to bit thru the Hull of a DDE, which I understand was not very thick at the waterline in those days-the cold water on the boilers did the rest. 

Ichthyologists I've written to say that no shark in existence today longer that 20 feet, except whale sharks and basking sharks, despite a Great White, snarled in chains and drowned in Perth Harbor, Australia in approximately 1936 according to the "International Shark Attack Files". 

Recent stories from Australia suggest that is possible even today. 

That's why "Official" stories aren't always reliable-the "Historical" record is often changed to reflect the Author's preconceptions. 

I ended up studying sharks from around age 8, I still study them today to an extent, at age 54. 

Edited by StaffSgtDave01

[FLNVY]
Members
104 posts
46 minutes ago, tarkbaz said:

:cap_horn:Gonna say yes just because its a cool story

ty for quoting me twice in the same one :) 

lol

[1CVDV]
Members
11 posts
4,516 battles

I've researched the subject a tremendous amount.  The short of it is that the experiment happened and that you can manipulate time and space if you use enough energy.  Welcome to the future.