Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
heave_ho

let us remember, lest we forget

16 comments in this topic

[SYN]
Members
62 posts
6,790 battles

let us remember those that gave so much for us all... and on a personal note, remembering my dad and his brother who both served in that war to end all others...

45210355_10155947724308177_3582033502599643136_n.jpg

• Cool 15

[SYN]
Members
62 posts
6,790 battles

a heartfelt time for me as I recall the stories told of a time that is so distance....

when they volunteered, my dad was 14, his brother 16  

913634097_2nd_Canadian_Expeditionary_Force_24th_Battalion_Montreal_Feb._22_1915._Arms_sloped_(HS85-10-30046)1.thumb.jpg.84645b849a4bab4a9e4acd71aef19af9.jpg 

my uncle's regiment.. 2nd Canadian Expeditionary Force,  24th Battalion, Victoria Rifles

24th V.R. mascot.jpg

My dad (being only 14) was posted to a local Militia unit - 39 Battery, Canadian Field Artiliary (CFA)...  Then latter to the 6th Hussars…   

He was never sent overseas as the age requirement in Canada was then 18, and so the war ended before his posting to a combat unit.... 

18ponder.jpg

Edited by heave_ho
  • Cool 3

[NSWC]
Members
190 posts
9,087 battles

100 year anniversary of the end of the First World War will be Sunday, November 11. Remember the sacrifice of the ordinary men who thought they were protecting their nations and loved ones. Sadly not the “war to end all wars”. A lot of dreams died in the trenches.

Edited by Caledanicus
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
62 posts
6,790 battles

Valcarter camp "Quebec"

Valcarter 1914.jpg

embarking at Montreal

embarking montreal 1914.jpg

18 pounder being hoisted on board

18 pounder 1914.jpg

Edited by heave_ho
  • Cool 1

[SYN]
Members
62 posts
6,790 battles
55 minutes ago, heave_ho said:

yes, but I was thinking on it today...  something that is maybe more of a commonwealth thing........

[POP]
Beta Testers
4,064 posts
5,836 battles

well my grand grandfather came to brazil to escape the war,i heard he was a veteran of some spanish colonial war,what's weird is that my grandmother says the spanish army still used carabineros(riflemen with horses). he was one of those i think.  i don't know if i had any relative that went to ww2 or ww1,my family's story is a blur after they came here,findigngthe documents is almost impossible.

Edited by Cruxdei

[GLORY]
Members
283 posts
2,184 battles

*enters*

Oh, Canada? (GET IT? Aha...Ah..Ha..ha.)

Sorry, I'm American. I'll um...Yeah.

*leaves*

• Funny 1

[WOLFB]
Members
797 posts
26,115 battles

My Grandfather told me stories of when he was in the NAVY (USN). He was on a minesweeper operating out of Scotland.

My Father served in WWII in field artillery. (He would never talk much about the War, only the towns they went through on their way to Germany)

Some of the most eye opening experiences I had in Europe (I worked there for 4 years and saw the Wall come down) were the exhibits from both WWs. The Verdun monument ( and the bones in the lower level) from WW One were heart stopping.

Patton's liberation of Luxembourg is marked throughout the country with markers stating the date each town was liberated.

Tank Turrets are still mounted around town.

• Cool 1

[WOLF2]
Members
3,205 posts
14,844 battles

"In Flanders Fields" always makes me sad … such a terrible waste of life o7

WWII, my grandfather's war, seemed to give the common soldier more of a chance … after D-Day at least

Edited by Commander_367

[SYN]
Members
62 posts
6,790 battles

On the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month we gather to pay our respects to those who have fallen, to those who served, and to those who are serving with our armed forces. “To you from failing hands we throw the torch; be yours to hold it high” reads a line in John McCree’s famous poem ‘Flanders Fields’. If you can, join your community on this November 11th for the Remembrance Day ceremony, mark this very special tradition in your community.

11011599_10156235784810321_7679911062236561864_n.jpg

Sign in to follow this