You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AJTP89

I Think I Like the Helena

23 comments in this topic

[WOLF5]
Members
1,482 posts
2,042 battles

Finished up the Dallas grind this morning. Fun ship, very good. Probably not as good as the old Cleveland, but there's a reason the Cleve is T8 now. 

Purchased Helena, upgraded modules with FXP, dropped the 14pt captain from the Dallas (CE and IFHE) in and hit the Random Battle button.

Crap, T9 MM. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

Answer? Pretty well.

shot-18_11.03_12_16.21-0601.thumb.jpg.6be8a03cdfe8feb903dde19b93552466.jpg

shot-18_11.03_12_16.25-0728.thumb.jpg.3180baf4d02a86bd5354f5aee0bcf534.jpg

The rear-facing C turret took a little getting used to, but 15 152mm IFHE shells is a nasty punch. It's pretty easy to get them all going, and low HP ships just evaporate. Shells arcs are manageable, and the ship seems a bit tankier than Dallas. Don't get me wrong, try not to go toe to toe with a BB, but several times I was expecting a salvo to just blap me, but my angling actually worked.

I'm REALLY glad WG gave her good turret traverse. 22.5 stock is awesome, no need to worry about what your turrets are doing, they're just there. You don't have to let off the rudder to keep the guns on target, which is crucial for any ship, but especially cruisers. IMO all ships should have turrets that can keep up with a turn, at minimum.

The Helena completes my filling in the USN CL line back up to Cleveland. I'll probably take a bit of break then work up to Seattle and Worcester. But Dallas and Helena are fun ship for me.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
372 posts
3,292 battles

She does equally well in PvE.  She performs well in the T7 operation.  She doesn't have Boise's heal, but she has better range.  I never had a problem keeping her guns on target in a turn.  Both Dallas and Helena were a blast to play.  Good, solid additions to the fleet.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,873 posts
2,191 battles

Welcome to the Helena fan club.  I just love her. 

Members
611 posts
7,242 battles

Same here, she's a surprising ship... gotta love that 15 guns...

Spoiler

shot-18_11.03_12_35.59-0522.thumb.jpg.94f6f286ebbcaee1e9a5beed880a255a.jpgshot-18_11.03_12_35.30-0170.thumb.jpg.314345bbe3efa5aacfff7cc8de30e55b.jpg

I have no idea how I ended up on top...

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,310 posts
11,408 battles
1 hour ago, AJTP89 said:

Finished up the Dallas grind this morning. Fun ship, very good. Probably not as good as the old Cleveland, but there's a reason the Cleve is T8 now. 

Purchased Helena, upgraded modules with FXP, dropped the 14pt captain from the Dallas (CE and IFHE) in and hit the Random Battle button.

Crap, T9 MM. Oh well, let's see how it goes.

Answer? Pretty well.

shot-18_11.03_12_16.21-0601.thumb.jpg.6be8a03cdfe8feb903dde19b93552466.jpg

shot-18_11.03_12_16.25-0728.thumb.jpg.3180baf4d02a86bd5354f5aee0bcf534.jpg

The rear-facing C turret took a little getting used to, but 15 152mm IFHE shells is a nasty punch. It's pretty easy to get them all going, and low HP ships just evaporate. Shells arcs are manageable, and the ship seems a bit tankier than Dallas. Don't get me wrong, try not to go toe to toe with a BB, but several times I was expecting a salvo to just blap me, but my angling actually worked.

I'm REALLY glad WG gave her good turret traverse. 22.5 stock is awesome, no need to worry about what your turrets are doing, they're just there. You don't have to let off the rudder to keep the guns on target, which is crucial for any ship, but especially cruisers. IMO all ships should have turrets that can keep up with a turn, at minimum.

The Helena completes my filling in the USN CL line back up to Cleveland. I'll probably take a bit of break then work up to Seattle and Worcester. But Dallas and Helena are fun ship for me.

Ifhe may pen bows of BB up close....

Melted a fuso by penning his bow from the side at 4 km...

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,549 posts
13,992 battles

Helena is good.  The firepower she dishes out is monstrous.  I consider her and Cleveland to be the zenith of the USN CL Line.

• Cool 1

[YORHA]
Members
3,243 posts

My favourite ship, but she does get citadelled a lot by any BB from almost any angle or distance.

[NDA]
Supertester
4,770 posts
13,562 battles

Helena is like the forbidden love child of the Cleveland and Mogami. Just a fun ship. 

Members
3,621 posts
13,402 battles

My favorite USN ship. I like her more than Belfast. BTW, my version of WoWs hell is to be on the receiving end of a div that has 2 Helenas and a Boise in it. :cap_haloween: I had that happen while driving my Helena and it was insane how quickly I got pounded down. :cap_fainting:

[PT8TO]
[PT8TO]
Members
136 posts
12,195 battles

Better gun handling, fire chance, and reload compared to Mogami, smaller citadel and a tier lower.

Mogami buff SoonTM?

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles

Helena is a great bote, and in my opinion is the highlight of the CL line. It's hard to beat 15 guns. Playing Helena actually makes me want 155 Mogami as a T7 premium instead of the stock configuration of T8 Mogami.

3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Don't get me wrong, try not to go toe to toe with a BB, but several times I was expecting a salvo to just blap me, but my angling actually worked.

Helena has pretty good protection for a CL. When properly angled, she should only be taking overpens and 33s from BB caliber shells. Thick enough belt to bounce BB shells, 50mm citadel roof which can also bounce BB shells. I believe her only real weakness citadel wise is her athwartship bulkheads. They're harder to angle properly without exposing something else, but should have enough armoring to shrug off some BB caliber rounds.

What I find odd is the only time I've taken unexpected citadel damage in Helena is when I'm angled or bow in against a BB behind and island, and the BB manages to lob shells over and into my superstructure/deck. It confuses me because plunging fire doesn't exist unless you're driving high tier French BBs, Yamato, Iowa, or Montana with spotters up(or virtually all high tier BBs with spotters up shooting at max range), meaning that most of the BBs in Helena's MM range shouldn't be able to get a citadel hit through Helena's citadel roof. They can overmatch the deck, yes, but they shouldn't have the angle to not auto-bounce off that 50mm roof.

1 hour ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Ifhe may pen bows of BB up close....

Melted a fuso by penning his bow from the side at 4 km...

If you're that close and have a broadside, you're probably better off pumping 15 six-inch AP rounds into the BBs bow or upper casemate armor.

10 minutes ago, AbyssAngkor said:

Mogami buff SoonTM?

Or better yet, drop the 155mm guns from T8 Mogami(she still needs some QoL buffs in my opinion), make a T7 premium Mogami-class (Suzuya, pls) with the 155mm gun configuration. Bonus is, Mogami was already at T7 in the early development stages, alpha or CBT, I don't know for sure as I started in OBT where Mogami was already the T8.

The Brooklyn-class, and St. Louis-sub-class(of which Helena is the second ship of) of CLs were built in response to hearing of the Mogami-class' as built configuration. I think Mogami has every right to be at the same tier has her American contemporaries. And I think 155 Mogami would be a more comfortable fit in T7 MM instead of T8. Helena and Boise's existence there prove 155 Mogami at T7 wouldn't be overpowered.

Edited by GhostSwordsman

Members
2,430 posts
12,163 battles
3 hours ago, AJTP89 said:

Read up on the Helena, it will make you love her even more. (if you haven't already)

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles

Helena is extremely solid, probably the best silver USN cruiser pound for pound.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,310 posts
11,408 battles
43 minutes ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Helena is a great bote, and in my opinion is the highlight of the CL line. It's hard to beat 15 guns. Playing Helena actually makes me want 155 Mogami as a T7 premium instead of the stock configuration of T8 Mogami.

Helena has pretty good protection for a CL. When properly angled, she should only be taking overpens and 33s from BB caliber shells. Thick enough belt to bounce BB shells, 50mm citadel roof which can also bounce BB shells. I believe her only real weakness citadel wise is her athwartship bulkheads. They're harder to angle properly without exposing something else, but should have enough armoring to shrug off some BB caliber rounds.

What I find odd is the only time I've taken unexpected citadel damage in Helena is when I'm angled or bow in against a BB behind and island, and the BB manages to lob shells over and into my superstructure/deck. It confuses me because plunging fire doesn't exist unless you're driving high tier French BBs, Yamato, Iowa, or Montana with spotters up(or virtually all high tier BBs with spotters up shooting at max range), meaning that most of the BBs in Helena's MM range shouldn't be able to get a citadel hit through Helena's citadel roof. They can overmatch the deck, yes, but they shouldn't have the angle to not auto-bounce off that 50mm roof.

If you're that close and have a broadside, you're probably better off pumping 15 six-inch AP rounds into the BBs bow or upper casemate armor.

Or better yet, drop the 155mm guns from T8 Mogami(she still needs some QoL buffs in my opinion), make a T7 premium Mogami-class (Suzuya, pls) with the 155mm gun configuration. Bonus is, Mogami was already at T7 in the early development stages, alpha or CBT, I don't know for sure as I started in OBT where Mogami was already the T8.

The Brooklyn-class, and St. Louis-sub-class(of which Helena is the second ship of) of CLs were built in response to hearing of the Mogami-class' as built configuration. I think Mogami has every right to be at the same tier has her American contemporaries. And I think 155 Mogami would be a more comfortable fit in T7 MM instead of T8. Helena and Boise's existence there prove 155 Mogami at T7 wouldn't be overpowered.

Max HE damage 2200 with zero chance of bouncing.

Max AP damage 3200 with chance of bouncing.

I'll take the 30k+ HE every day salvo thank you.

AP does have its uses, but when in a knife fight, certain damage beats non pen and ricochet all day.

Members
4,731 posts
5,459 battles
4 minutes ago, dEsTurbed1 said:

Max HE damage 2200 with zero chance of bouncing.

Max AP damage 3200 with chance of bouncing.

I'll take the 30k+ HE every day salvo thank you.

AP does have its uses, but when in a knife fight, certain damage beats non pen and ricochet all day.

Well, that's why I said if you have it's broadside. Otherwise HE is the proper choice. The difference being, that HE only ever does max damage on a citadel, otherwise it's 33%. The AP will do more 33% damage and the BB can't heal as much of it back.

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
157 posts
1,494 battles

I cringe a bit when I run across one while I’m in a DD. 

I like the Dallas. I’m looking forward to Helena, too. 

[WOLF5]
Members
1,482 posts
2,042 battles
1 hour ago, APA_204 said:

Read up on the Helena, it will make you love her even more. (if you haven't already)

Yeah, I know about her Guadacanal exploits. I think this one's a keeper.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
3,310 posts
11,408 battles
3 hours ago, GhostSwordsman said:

Well, that's why I said if you have it's broadside. Otherwise HE is the proper choice. The difference being, that HE only ever does max damage on a citadel, otherwise it's 33%. The AP will do more 33% damage and the BB can't heal as much of it back.

12k salvos at nose in battleship.

He is reversing. 

If I charge him 3/4 on, from 4 km, he gets 2 salvos off before I am at his side.

Why would I want to switch to AP in a brawl, in this situation, and then have to accurately place my shots?

By time I get to his side, he has at least 1 permanent fire and damage saturated nose. So I switch to upper hull and its 2 salvos.

Now I'm past him and looking at that juicy rear end. 2 salvos and he is dead.

All with IFHE .

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,015 posts
11,538 battles
2 hours ago, So_lt_Goes said:

Yeppers, Helena is teh gudbote.

I liked her so much I glommed on to Boise as well.

Boise makes me not interested in playing Helena.

Members
471 posts
1,992 battles

Well that is good to hear i was weary of continuing up to the helena. Question how is the Dallas in comparison to the Omaha?

[YARRR]
Members
390 posts
4,723 battles

I loved her when I first got her.  Was unicum with her for a few weeks, then the bottom fell out and I can't get a win with her no matter how I try.

Show up with her and be prepared to be focused down and obliterated very early on in a match.  In this way she is very much like the Cleveland.  The masses fear her so kill her quickly.   So now she sits rusting in port.  It's sad because I really like the ship, but...