You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
FrodoFraggin

AFT question

25 comments in this topic

[EQRN]
Members
308 posts
8,672 battles

Does AFT for main battery below 139mm work by raising gun elevation or does it just magically increase range?  If it's the latter, does that effectively flatten shell arcs?  Hard to explain without pictures, but imagine a curve and you stretch it (extending range), all other things equal that would shorten, or flatten it, somewhat.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,479 battles

It raises the barrels to a higher elevation, so you have a higher curve and longer shell flight time.

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
711 posts
5,195 battles

And because of this with Nations with the higher arcs there really is a point of diminishing return. Typically I don't bother with the ones that have the highest arcs given it's a 3 point skill.

[EQRN]
Members
308 posts
8,672 battles

Was trying to figure out if a Grozovoi Ovechkin captain with AFT would be worthwhile using on the Kidd as well. 

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,350 posts
14,784 battles
1 minute ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Was trying to figure out if a Grozovoi Ovechkin captain with AFT would be worthwhile using on the Kidd as well. 

Kidd's main battery shells are probably a bit too "lobby" for it....but on the other hand it would help Kidd's good AA extend out 20% which would be a big help if there is a CV in the match.

[ZIPPO]
Members
1,530 posts
3,526 battles

It used to work on guns 155mm which have rise to the legends line the 155 Mogami and made the Omaha a monster in skilled hands back in the day

[SALVO]
Members
16,632 posts
17,300 battles
18 minutes ago, misanthrope0 said:

And because of this with Nations with the higher arcs there really is a point of diminishing return. Typically I don't bother with the ones that have the highest arcs given it's a 3 point skill.

Ummm, AFT is a 4 point skill.

Members
996 posts
5,735 battles
29 minutes ago, Lert said:

It raises the barrels to a higher elevation, so you have a higher curve and longer shell flight time.

Yep, four skill points to change the stops on your gun elevation.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,828 posts
3,974 battles

OP, the other problem with AFT on a destroyer is that firing at even a close target lets people quite a long way away know where you are when you would rather not be seen at all. This is the price you pay for being able to hide behind a rock and annoy battleships half a map away, and you have to decide whether it's a price you are willing to pay.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, Merc85 said:
3 minutes ago, FrodoFraggin said:

Kidd's main battery shells are probably a bit too "lobby" for it....but on the other hand it would help Kidd's good AA extend out 20% which would be a big help if there is a CV in the match.

Yah, ATF is a double edged sword for US DDs.  Not only are you shell really floaty making it hard to consistently hit your target, you also have your gum bloom detection increased by 20%.  If you plan on division'ing with a CV then a full AA build with ATF is a good route.  Solo play, its hard to say if its really worth it.  Good luck.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,121 posts
18,636 battles
24 minutes ago, Psycodiver said:

It used to work on guns 155mm which have rise to the legends line the 155 Mogami and made the Omaha a monster in skilled hands back in the day

Those were the days. 155mm Mogami with AFT/BFT and OWSF...

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,206 posts
8,798 battles
54 minutes ago, Lert said:

Actually it magically raises the barrels to a higher elevation than they are designed for. :Smile-_tongue:

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,914 posts
3,304 battles
30 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

OP, the other problem with AFT on a destroyer is that firing at even a close target lets people quite a long way away know where you are when you would rather not be seen at all. This is the price you pay for being able to hide behind a rock and annoy battleships half a map away, and you have to decide whether it's a price you are willing to pay.

On Death Canoe, it is totally worth it.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,206 posts
8,798 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

55 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

It is good on pretty much all of the Russian DD's because their low gun arcs allow you to actually hit ships smaller than a BB at range. On other DD's it is much more questionable.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
409 posts
3,348 battles
4 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Okhotnik? 

That boat is where I "discovered" how good BFT/AFT could be.  Just about all my dd skippers have it now.

[HINON]
Supertester
18,966 posts
12,479 battles
31 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Okhotnik?

Yes. Party Bote.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,995 posts
2,203 battles

No, it does not extend the range of torpedoes.

Wait, what was the question?

[OSG]
Beta Testers
1,350 posts
14,784 battles
4 hours ago, Slimeball91 said:

Yah, ATF is a double edged sword for US DDs.  Not only are you shell really floaty making it hard to consistently hit your target, you also have your gum bloom detection increased by 20%.  If you plan on division'ing with a CV then a full AA build with ATF is a good route.  Solo play, its hard to say if its really worth it.  Good luck.

Yep, great point Slime.  I do not use AFT on any of my USN DDs except the Kidd for the reason you point out. 

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,914 posts
3,304 battles
4 hours ago, Captain_Slattery said:

Okhotnik? 

That boat is where I "discovered" how good BFT/AFT could be.  Just about all my dd skippers have it now.

Yes, that is the bote I call Death Canoe.

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,206 posts
8,798 battles
15 minutes ago, Counter_Gambit said:

Yes, that is the bote I call Death Canoe.

I was looking a picture of the real Okhotnik and I looks like it actually has more guns (8) than the in game one (7) but with a smaller broadside of 5 guns where typical DD's of that era had two or three. This is the best picture of the class I have found but at a guess they actually had two four or five torpedo mounts which is much more than any other DD of the era. Sadly there seems to be no details about them.

Okhotnik1905-1917.jpg

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,914 posts
3,304 battles
1 hour ago, BrushWolf said:

I was looking a picture of the real Okhotnik and I looks like it actually has more guns (8) than the in game one (7) but with a smaller broadside of 5 guns where typical DD's of that era had two or three. This is the best picture of the class I have found but at a guess they actually had two four or five torpedo mounts which is much more than any other DD of the era. Sadly there seems to be no details about them.

Okhotnik1905-1917.jpg

nope, 2 guns, 1 bow 1 stern, 3 torpedo turrets, three tubes per turret.

[POP]
Members
841 posts
9,497 battles

don't.

2 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

Okhotnik1905-1917.jpg

don't be looking at dat aft.
giphy.gif

[WOLF2]
Members
1,165 posts
12,865 battles
7 hours ago, BrushWolf said:

It is good on pretty much all of the Russian DD's because their low gun arcs allow you to actually hit ships smaller than a BB at range. On other DD's it is much more questionable.

If your goal is to start fires on bigger ships, range is always good :)

Sometimes they put out fires thinking they're safely out of range, but they don't count on that extra 2+ km

Getting that one last fire before they run out of range - priceless

Edited by Commander_367

[GWG]
[GWG]
15,206 posts
8,798 battles
2 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

nope, 2 guns, 1 bow 1 stern, 3 torpedo turrets, three tubes per turret.

The gun count doesn't fit the description of more guns and torpedoes than ships of similar size. There must be a couple more guns snuck in there some where. Like I said the data on them is lacking.