Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
awildseaking

Idea to Make Ranked Less Hostile

23 comments in this topic

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles

I don't mind star saving as a mechanic, but I don't like how you earn it. I think trying to maximize your exp and compete against your own team creates a lot of hostility and all around bad gamplay that makes every Ranked season, sprint or not, a living hell to play.

To fix this, I think stars should be saved based on an exp threshold. Contribute enough and you save your star. Multiple players will be able to save. The threshold will increase with each rank so you won't have terrible players climbing into ranks they don't belong at. Nobody will worry about farming dmg and kill secures. All you have to do is play to win and the roles you play will naturally grant you exp and save your star. People will waste a lot less time in Ranked and you won't have to worry about professional star savers anymore. Terrible teams won't set you back as much and you won't feel compelled to play BB all the time either.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 5

[VW]
Members
1,945 posts
12,499 battles

Star saving in ranked sprit is a total buffoon/ mental deficiency move to do. There are only two to three stars to earn and only 2 ranks are not irrevocable. Its tier 5, there are no repair costs. I only saw one numbskull try to do it in my successful campaign, so at least i dont think it is as widespread as in real ranked.

[-BSS-]
Members
395 posts
6,289 battles

Players vote for match mvp who saves star in addition to highest score

• Funny 2
  • Bad 1

[OPRAH]
[OPRAH]
Beta Testers
3,881 posts
12,626 battles

Do away with stars altogether! If your team wins all advance! If your team loses all either do not advance or all fall back one rank. As for hostility! Any report of unsporting actions or foul chat actions will be handle by WG personnel not the automated system. Those found in violation will be suspended from rank matches for 24 hours for the 1st offence and the penalty will escalate x2 for subsequent offences! ie 2nd gets a 48 hour suspension, 3rd 96 hours and so on!

• Cool 3
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

[HINON]
Members
9,039 posts
2 hours ago, Visidious said:

Players vote for match mvp who saves star in addition to highest score

Not practical as many players leave the battle after they die.

[ONAVY]
[ONAVY]
Members
315 posts
9,930 battles

This topic has nothing to do with hostility!. This is a short season. I have seen nobody crying about stars or anything else. I see more cooperation in these short, lower-tiered games. Hostility and toxicity happen in regular ranked when you get those T10 players who feel their crap don't stink. So, enjoy this period of civility.

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles
On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, Willy55_1955 said:

This topic has nothing to do with hostility!. This is a short season. I have seen nobody crying about stars or anything else. I see more cooperation in these short, lower-tiered games. Hostility and toxicity happen in regular ranked when you get those T10 players who feel their crap don't stink. So, enjoy this period of civility.

You have to be pretty delusional to think there's no hostility just because this season is short. It's precisely because it's short that people are even more uppity than before. People don't like wasting time in Ranked because it's a fundamentally bad game mode.

Hostility is not a bannable offense. Chat bans only happen when you cross the line and WG has made it clear that you're allowed to criticize your team in game. People are hostile even when you don't say anything unreasonable. I've never been chat banned and short of dropping racial slurs, it's almost impossible to get banned.

Here's an example: I played a game against a certain unicum that I know people should focus. I told everyone to be aware of his skill at the beginning of the round and recommended we focus fire him. We got an early lead when I sank their first DD and we had 2 caps to 1. This is when you start kiting, which forces enemies to fight you one at a time and get deleted quickly. The strategy was working fine, I got rid of the second DD, and it looked like a solid win. Then my team starts to throw harder than I've ever seen. I got this certain unicum below 10k health in his Giulio and we could have killed him and won if we had focus fired, but I was the only one focusing him. Two complete morons in a div pushed into B and got killed. They complained that we "lemminged" to A (typical noob assumption that lemming trains are inherently bad) and did not understand that we were kiting. I explained why we should kite and they just got angry. Then they became upset when I went for the enemy CV, which was out of position and a quick kill. This wasn't your typical red lining CV hunt that removes a DD from the game. It took about a minute and gave us a chance to win on points. I told them to look at the score and they exploded. I was not referring to the after game scoreboard, but the in-game score. I explainedthat we needed the point reduction from the CV kill to give us enough time to stop throwing, but they ignored it anyways. We got the CV kill quickly and stood a chance, but because they decided to push when we were up on points, we lost. I got reported 4 times for that game. I got unlucky and was slighted a star by ~20 exp because star saving works better in BB. And before you try to insinuate that this doesn't happen often, I could go on for hours about games like this. It really does happen that often. The seesawing karma is really funny to watch. You piss off the wrong people one game and they try to abuse the report system to ban you, then you get it all back from compliments because you get decent people the next game who you are friendly with. Fortunately, most people are good at heart, but Ranked truly is toxic. I hate that word because it is misapplied so frequently, but this is one of the few places I consider it accurate.

Toxicity like this just makes me (and others) quit playing. It's not fun to play with people like that. I shouldn't have to waste even more of my time in Ranked. There's a reason so many people skip Ranked or don't try to rank out. It's a terrible mode that inherently creates hostility. Reducing the amount of time necessary in this mode will certainly de-escalate things a bit.

Edited by awildseaking
  • Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[BBC]
Members
933 posts
12,326 battles

top winner on the winning side gets two stars, (all other winners get 1 star).  reward winning and helping the team win.  

all losers lose  a star, problem solved. the harder you try to win and actually do so is rewarded. no damage farming losers get anything ever,  on the losing side. (thus no reward for losing !keeping a star!)

if anyone can tell me why this would be bad i would love to hear it.

Edited by Rilak
  • Cool 4

[BBC]
Members
933 posts
12,326 battles
12 minutes ago, awildseaking said:

You have to be pretty delusional to think there's no hostility just because this season is short. It's precisely because it's short that people are even more uppity than before. People don't like wasting time in Ranked because it's a fundamentally bad game mode.

Hostility is not a bannable offense. Chat bans only happen when you cross the line and WG has made it clear that you're allowed to criticize your team in game. People are hostile even when you don't say anything unreasonable. I've never been chat banned and short of dropping racial slurs, it's almost impossible to get banned.

Here's an example: I played a game against a certain unicum that I know people should focus. I told everyone to be aware of his skill at the beginning of the round and recommended we focus fire him. We got an early lead when I sank their first DD and we had 2 caps to 1. This is when you start kiting, which forces enemies to fight you one at a time and get deleted quickly. The strategy was working fine, I got rid of the second DD, and it looked like a solid win. Then my team starts to throw harder than I've ever seen. I got this certain unicum below 10k health in his Giulio and we could have killed him and won if we had focus fired, but I was the only one focusing him. Two complete morons in a div pushed into B and got killed. They complained that we "lemminged" to A (typical noob assumption that lemming trains are inherently bad) and did not understand that we were kiting. I explained why we should kite and they just got angry. Then they became upset when I went for the enemy CV, which was out of position and a quick kill. This wasn't your typical red lining CV hunt that removes a DD from the game. It took about a minute and gave us a chance to win on points. I told them to look at the score and they exploded. I was not referring to the after game scoreboard, but the in-game score. I explainedthat we needed the point reduction from the CV kill to give us enough time to stop throwing, but they ignored it anyways. We got the CV kill quickly and stood a chance, but because they decided to push when we were up on points, we lost. I got reported 4 times for that game. I got unlucky and was slighted a star by ~20 exp because star saving works better in BB.

craplike this just makes me quit playing. It's not fun to play with people like that. I shouldn't have to waste even more of my time in Ranked. There's a reason so many people skip Ranked or don't try to rank out. It's a terrible mode that inherently creates hostility. Reducing the amount of time necessary in this mode will certainly de-escalate things a bit.

everything you say here is basically true except ranked is not a flawed mode. its a great a mode where you will never be out tiered and is more difficult  than randoms. 

at t5 i watched several games  go from easy win 2 caps and lead  into watching the winning team push to the 3rd cap and die one by one :)

[BOTES]
Members
1,919 posts
6,658 battles
9 minutes ago, Rilak said:

top winner on the winning side gets two stars, (all other winners get 1 star).  reward winning and helping the team win.  

all losers lose  a star, problem solved. the harder you try to win and actually do so is rewarded. no damage farming losers get anything ever,  on the losing side. (thus no reward for losing !keeping a star!)

I like the idea of punishing damage farmers, but I know a lot of people have near carries where they try their hardest, but cannot overcome insurmountable odds. WG should test this out though. There are so many games where I win and carry that the additional stars could offset my losses.

[-WTP-]
[-WTP-]
Members
500 posts
5,605 battles
5 hours ago, Rilak said:

I gotta say.... I don't hate this idea. I'd be open to testing it out for sure. 

[ENDVR]
Members
423 posts
5,333 battles

Change stars to seashells and only the crabbiest get to keep them. *clack clack*

Other than that, top 7 base xp earners in game get seashells, bottom 2 lose them, and the rest must look elsewhere for their seashells.

*clack clack*

[BBC]
Members
933 posts
12,326 battles
7 hours ago, SmokeHenge said:

Change stars to seashells and only the crabbiest get to keep them. *clack clack*

Other than that, top 7 base xp earners in game get seashells, bottom 2 lose them, and the rest must look elsewhere for their seashells.

*clack clack*

now this rewards personal performance win or lose.  great if that is the goal.  more suited to  free for all format though. with a stated objective to beat the other team this reward does not reward that :)    you  mention giving 7 seashells out per game and only taking away 2  per match would just give everyone an automatic rank 1 just by showing up.

current system is 7 given out 1 saved and 6 lost.      

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
284 posts
4,397 battles
On 11/3/2018 at 5:11 AM, monpetitloup said:

Star saving in ranked sprit is a total buffoon/ mental deficiency move to do

I agree here. I think adopting a star saving policy when playing ranked only makes your grind worse. Captains are choosing to increase their probability of not gaining a star by playing to secure the top spot in a loss. I think the "save a star" campaign is to get noobs to play worse, allowing good players to influence the battle more and rank out faster.

don't mix things up captains. winning is the only way to rank out. 

Edited by skillztowin

Members
2,292 posts
4,132 battles
16 hours ago, awildseaking said:

I like the idea of punishing damage farmers, but I know a lot of people have near carries where they try their hardest, but cannot overcome insurmountable odds. WG should test this out though. There are so many games where I win and carry that the additional stars could offset my losses.

I tend to side with the "Everyone on the losing team loses a star". 

Giving more players the chance save a star will just make farming xp more important.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,849 posts
13,067 battles
45 minutes ago, Sensai_Lawrence said:

ranked would be less hostile if bad players stayed out of it.  

No matter who stays out, there will always be 50% of participants who exist in the lower half of the experience pool.

Edited by Soshi_Sone
  • Cool 2

[LHG]
Members
1,193 posts
4,975 battles
17 hours ago, Rilak said:

Ranked without star-saving degenerated into disadvantaged teams suiciding to get into the next match quickly. Do people forget what previous seasons were like so easily?

[SAINT]
[SAINT]
Members
301 posts
9,855 battles

I'm actually surprised at this thread since I saw very little hostility or salt getting thrown around in matches. In most of the games teams were complementing each other or laughing at this move or that shot etc. Sure, here and there one player would spout garbage but I saw far less in 'sprint' than in previous ranked seasons. I made it to rank 1 in both sprints and had fun doing it. Probably a combination of something other than tier 10 matches and that tier 5 ships are entertaining to begin with, when playing other tier 5 ships. Plus with all of the irrevocable levels it didn't take long to advance. 

Anyway, sorry if you had problems in ranked. For me I hope WG does more of this especially at the lower tiers.  

Slainte.

Beta Testers
498 posts
6,565 battles

I agree with you OP. 

The mechanic of saving a star is in Ranked Sprint and vanilla Ranked.  It does have its issues but I am in favor of keeping it.  While "abused" by some, the intent is to reward the player working hard to do damage, kills, caps etc.  As well, I would add one more person to not lose a star (meaning two).  

Somewhat of an analogy. At work, we had this policy a while back of unlimited sick leave (meaning it didn't count against your regular leave).  It was great that our employer did this as a perk.  However a couple of folks abused it, which lead to our employer ditching it.  Now sick comes out of regular leave.

So reward those that work hard, regardless if the team potatoes.  I would hate to get rid of a perk, over a few that completely abuse it.

The hostility can be there though.  Ranked is competitive.  People want to win. Its pretty much like any PvP game.  Chat will always be colorful.  I kinda laugh at those who say its caustic.  Obviously they haven't played any other (insert the many out there ) FPS PvP games ;)

[PLPT]
Members
636 posts
6,850 battles

Remove any star-saving from ranked, then it’s a pure team game.

I’m a DD main but switched to BB for Ranked. It’s easy to save your star in a BB but near impossible in a DD.

In 6v6, saving a star adds about 8% to your star-earning WR, which is huuuge. If you are trying to advance ranks, you should just play for the star save.

Once I switched from a team-supporting DD role to a carry-mode BB, I flew up the ranks. It was all about staying alive and racking up damage. Who cares about caps? Who cares about the rest of the team? I couldn’t stop them from yoloing to their deaths in the first 4 minutes anyway. I grabbed my damage and ranks and called it a day. Can’t say I saw more than 2 quality games.

[ENDVR]
Members
423 posts
5,333 battles
8 hours ago, Rilak said:

now this rewards personal performance win or lose.  great if that is the goal.  more suited to  free for all format though. with a stated objective to beat the other team this reward does not reward that :)    you  mention giving 7 seashells out per game and only taking away 2  per match would just give everyone an automatic rank 1 just by showing up.

So no downsides, then. *clack clack*

Perhaps 8 Seashells are given by the Octopus God, the great Krakalaken, to the 8 highest XP earners of both teams and the other 6 must destroy their seashells in shame?

Rank 1 is widely considered an inevitability already if you’re average-ish or better and have the time to spare.  How about we flip things: people start at Rank 1 and there is no ceiling.  Rewards become based on every 4/5/7/10/25 ranks for credits/flags/modules/steel/currencyX.  Amount of seashells per rank is negotiable, of course.

*clack clack*

[ABDA]
Beta Testers
16,180 posts
11,693 battles
On 11/3/2018 at 5:00 AM, awildseaking said:

I don't mind star saving as a mechanic, but I don't like how you earn it. I think trying to maximize your exp and compete against your own team creates a lot of hostility and all around bad gamplay that makes every Ranked season, sprint or not, a living hell to play.

To fix this, I think stars should be saved based on an exp threshold. Contribute enough and you save your star. Multiple players will be able to save. The threshold will increase with each rank so you won't have terrible players climbing into ranks they don't belong at. Nobody will worry about farming dmg and kill secures. All you have to do is play to win and the roles you play will naturally grant you exp and save your star. People will waste a lot less time in Ranked and you won't have to worry about professional star savers anymore. Terrible teams won't set you back as much and you won't feel compelled to play BB all the time either.

Ranked will always be toxic as long as there's losing ranks.  Take those away, and in compensation make ranks harder to get and toxicity will go down.

Sign in to follow this