You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Jef_Roberts

MN Joffre French Aircraft Carrier

16 comments in this topic

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles

With all the talk about Royal Navy carriers (and they ARE important), I would love to see the French get a little love too. The Commandant Teste and the Bearn were both commissioned aircraft carriers. The Joffre and Painleve were not completed but the Joffre was laid down and there is plenty of design info available. it would be cool to have a Joffre to go with the rest of the French Marine National ships. Interesting design, strong armament (powerful AA!) and a decent aircraft capacity and decent speed (33.5 knots).  Wishful thinking perhaps...

joffre10.jpg

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,409 posts
4,294 battles
18 minutes ago, Jef_Roberts said:

The Commandant Teste and the Bearn were both commissioned aircraft carriers.

Commandant Teste was a seaplane tender, not a flattop aircraft carrier.

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles

Yes, but add her anyway. We have plenty of seaplanes in the game and no reason we cannot use an interesting one-off. She could be outstanding for spotting and search. And there was also a proposal to convert her to a standard aircraft carrier as well. Similar plans also were considered for the cruisers Duquesne and Tourville. 

Edited by Jef_Roberts
  • Bad 1

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles

Bearn was not particularly BAD just woefully SLOW, like the British Eagle. But she did carry a good complement of aircraft.

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles
10 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

One...

Just one elevator...

Was Bearn that bad too?

Béarn wasn't a bad first attempt at a CV, she was just slow as dirt (21kts) and the French never really made suitable aircraft. 3 in the deck elevators, 40ish aircraft. Looks like a pretty much fully enclosed hanger with all the problems that entails, ect...

In game, she would probably end up as a tier 5 CV. With a tier 4 air wing on a tier 6 hull.

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles
24 minutes ago, Estimated_Prophet said:

One...

Just one elevator...

Was Bearn that bad too?

That line drawing notwithstanding, pretty certain the Joffre and two elevators, one fore and one aft.
And the D.520 was an excellent single seat fighter, likewise the Breguet 810 (a navalized version of the 690) was a very fine attack aircraft. Better planes than Britain at the start of the war.

Edited by Jef_Roberts

[HC]
[HC]
Beta Testers
1,312 posts
9,404 battles
5 minutes ago, Jef_Roberts said:

That line drawing notwithstanding, pretty certain the Joffre and two elevators, one fore and one aft.

It shows both her elevators, the forward one is in the forward-right corner of the flight deck, her aft one is actually the pointed thing at the rear edge of the flight deck. She was to have the same air wing as the Béarn and probably a worse arrangement. The hanger might be a little safer (you might be able to roll aircraft out the back and over the stern), but the aft elevator is probably a deathtrap and mostly useless with how small it is. Strike aircraft would have to use the forward elevator and be pushed to the back of the deck.  You can bet that the first refit these ships would have would be extending the flight deck aft, and upgrading the aft elevator to match the forward one.

[DAKI]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters, Beta Testers
12,409 posts
4,294 battles
17 minutes ago, Jef_Roberts said:

Yes, but add her anyway. We have plenty of seaplanes in the game and no reason we cannot use an interesting one-off. She could be outstanding for spotting and search. And there was also a proposal to convert her to a standard aircraft carrier as well. Similar plans also were considered for the cruisers Duquesne and Tourville. 

I'm afraid that I'm of a different opinion and cannot agree with you unfortunately. All of WoWs's naval aviation vessels have been flattops. Commandant Teste is a sealane tender which is anything but flat, and does not meet the requirement for aircraft to be able to launch from the ship and land back on.

if WG does include it, she'd be best served as a low-mid tier premium. Commandant Teste would be too much ofan oddball to fit into a line probably with Bearn, Joffre, a bunch of paper carriers.

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles
Just now, Super_Dreadnought said:

I'm afraid that I'm of a different opinion and cannot agree with you unfortunately. All of WoWs's naval aviation vessels have been flattops. Commandant Teste is a sealane tender which is anything but flat, and does not meet the requirement for aircraft to be able to launch from the ship and land back on.

if WG does include it, she'd be best served as a low-mid tier premium. Commandant Teste would be too much ofan oddball to fit into a line probably with Bearn, Joffre, a bunch of paper carriers.

Probably right. Cmdt Teste doesn't really fit although I have personally always found her an interesting ship.  I shall dream though of a Bearn and a Joffre. 

[BOTES]
Members
132 posts
3,108 battles
23 minutes ago, Jef_Roberts said:

And the D.520 was an excellent single seat fighter, likewise the Breguet 810 (a navalized version of the 690) was a very fine attack aircraft. Better planes than Britain at the start of the war.

The D.520, as far as I've been able to tell, was never navalized, and any plans to do so stayed on the drawing board.

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles
5 minutes ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

The D.520, as far as I've been able to tell, was never navalized, and any plans to do so stayed on the drawing board.

As far as I am aware, the navalized version, which was the D.790, was designed but not built prior to the Armistice.

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,375 posts
7,962 battles
37 minutes ago, HP_Lovesauce said:

Doesn't really matter though - Wargaming has used navalized variants of not navalized planes in the past, beyond out right created planes (namely on the IJN side). Why even a full German CV line (Sans maybe a tier 4) is still viable as an option. 

• Cool 1

[DSAM]
[DSAM]
Members
23 posts
3,890 battles

And there were "paper" vessels in the immediate post war era, too, leading up to Clemenceau and Foch

[--1--]
Members
154 posts
2,493 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 10:17 PM, Jef_Roberts said:

If they add a ship like that it'd be Ise. I think that the French should have Bearn as a premium T4-5, but AFTER RN CV's.

• Cool 2