You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
SkaerKrow

Submarine Tech Trees

82 comments in this topic

[SIM]
Members
2,430 posts
4,060 battles

As someone who doesn’t have much background with naval warfare, I don’t know much about WW2 submarines. Assuming that submarines will eventually make it into World of Warships proper, how robust of a tech tree branch could the US, Japan, and Germany make? And did any other nation present in WoWs have enough of a submarine force to justify/support a branch of their own?

• Cool 2
  • Bad 1

[SYN]
Members
4,525 posts
11,433 battles

This really needs to stop...

• Cool 3
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 5
  • Angry 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles

Plenty enough to go make Submarine Tech Trees, from WWI thru the end of WWII.

US Navy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submarine_classes_of_the_United_States_Navy

The Germans of course have a big selection to build off of:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-boat

The Royal Navy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submarine_classes_of_the_Royal_Navy

IJN:  It looks like the Japanese climbed aboard Submarines late, first ones in the 1920s, but they have gone heavy with them ever since then until the end of WWII.

http://www.combinedfleet.com/ss.htm

The Russians also seem to have enough:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Soviet_and_Russian_submarine_classes

France is an interesting case.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_submarines_of_France

You can clearly see the French have a long history with submarines.  The catch for a French Submarine Tech Tree is that new, indegenous designs stop with the Fall of France.  They had new classes going into 1940 but then it stops.  So a French Sub Tech Tree Line would go only so far.

I haven't looked at any others yet.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 6

[PVE]
Members
8,833 posts
7,257 battles

All I know is that is Balao class should have a pink perma-camo. 

40dvhkb5wv7z.jpg

• Cool 3
  • Funny 2

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
2 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

40dvhkb5wv7z.jpg

Do the British get a Yellow Submarine?

Related image

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[PVE]
Members
8,833 posts
7,257 battles
1 minute ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Sure, why not. :)

[SHAN]
Beta Testers
325 posts
8 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

40dvhkb5wv7z.jpg

Operation petticoat for the win.

Cirran

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,062 posts
9,188 battles

Crap ton of sub designs. US, Japan and Germany easily have full tech tree. UK and France have enough designs if not actual production. For all of them WG will likely have to fudge tier 10.

Really looking forward to this. Having so much fun in the event. Just a hint of what main lines would be like. Can't wait.

[FOXEH]
[FOXEH]
Alpha Tester
6,007 posts
9,548 battles

My guess is they'd start at tier 5. and would come off from the DD branches.:fish_book: this does pose a new question however! will we have a ASW DD line or ASW premiums  to counter subs if they are introduced! 

[R_N]
[R_N]
Members
60 posts
3,814 battles

Howdy Captains,

Here are some examples of Subs that could be added:

FRCHSUB.jpg

GERMSUB.jpg

USNSUB.jpg

PANSUB.jpg

IJNSUB.jpg

Edited by Elder_Lee
  • Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,099 posts
8,751 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 5:53 PM, paradat said:

Crap ton of sub designs. US, Japan and Germany easily have full tech tree. UK and France have enough designs if not actual production. For all of them WG will likely have to fudge tier 10.

Really looking forward to this. Having so much fun in the event. Just a hint of what main lines would be like. Can't wait.

Maybe not though considering subs from WWI to WWII are up for consideration and even ones built just after WWII as well.

USN, IJN, KM, RN, Italy, Spain, France, as well as some tier nations all had subs well represented in their navies. Wargaming will have plenty to choose from to add into tech trees and some for premiums. Like Dutch subs will likely only be premiums.

And I share your excitement as well, loving the subs in the event. Going to take a tour of another USN Balao Class Sub in the near future which will be nice after playing the Killer Whale in game which is either a Gato or Balao Class Sub. ( they were really similar with Balao being able to dive deeper with reinforcements steel hull.)

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1
  • Cool 2

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,062 posts
9,188 battles
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 6:43 PM, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Maybe not though considering subs from WWII to WWII are up for consideration and even ones built just after WWII as well.

USN, IJN, KM, RN, Italy, Spain, France, as well as some tier nations all had subs well represented in their navies. Wargaming will have plenty to choose from to add into tech trees and some for premiums. Like Dutch subs will likely only be premiums.

And I share your excitement as well, loving the subs in the event. Going to take a tour of another USN Balao Class Sub in the near future which will be nice after playing the Killer Whale in game which is either a Gato or Balao Class Sub. ( they were really similar with Balao being able to dive deeper with reinforcements steel hull.)

Yeah agreed. Finally unlocked Killer whale great fun.

[XG]
Members
105 posts
2,876 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 6:58 PM, BladedPheonix said:

My guess is they'd start at tier 5. and would come off from the DD branches.:fish_book: this does pose a new question however! will we have a ASW DD line or ASW premiums  to counter subs if they are introduced! 

Sign me up for a Rudderow-class DE, a Jap Kaikoban, and a Flower-class corvette.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
470 posts
6,352 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 6:47 PM, Cirran said:

Operation petticoat for the win.

Cirran

But but, they sank a truck.  Does that mean we get torps that will traverse over islands?

For those who don't know, in Operation Petticoat they missed their target but "sank" a truck near shore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEcU0OEzhc

:cap_old:

• Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,062 posts
9,188 battles
On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 3:58 PM, BladedPheonix said:

Nah plenty of early subs pre WW1. Easy to start at tier3 if they want to.

[TDRB]
Members
956 posts
3,647 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 5:39 PM, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Related image

Does WG have the Sea of Green map?

• Funny 2

[PVE]
Members
8,833 posts
7,257 battles
35 minutes ago, Siegewolf said:

But but, they sank a truck.  Does that mean we get torps that will traverse over islands?

For those who don't know, in Operation Petticoat they missed their target but "sank" a truck near shore. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpEcU0OEzhc

:cap_old:

It was based on a real event where the docked cargo ship was missed and the torp hit the dock. The explosion flipped a bus into the water. It happened to USS Bowfin (SS-287) on her sixth patrol.

Members
2,396 posts
5,421 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 5:10 PM, Elder_Lee said:

Howdy Captains,

Here are some examples of Subs that could be added:

FRCHSUB.jpg

GERMSUB.jpg

USNSUB.jpg

PANSUB.jpg

IJNSUB.jpg

Sourcouf and the I-400 would be interesting as they are considered 'Carrier Class' subs which contain 2-3 pontoon airplanes which could be used for...spotting and attack I guess....will they be functional ??  Hope so! 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,062 posts
9,188 battles
1 minute ago, dionkraft said:

Sourcouf and the I-400 would be interesting as they are considered 'Carrier Class' subs which contain 2-3 pontoon airplanes which could be used for...spotting and attack I guess....will they be functional ??  Hope so! 

Could easily see that a consumable fighter and or scout plane.

Members
2,396 posts
5,421 battles
Just now, paradat said:

Could easily see that a consumable fighter and or scout plane.

The only additional thought is if the Planes are functional...and when their flight time limit runs out AND the SUB is underwater or periscope depth...the SUBS gonna have to SURFACE LOL to retrieve them !!   MAMAMIA!

[FGNE]
Members
314 posts
2,397 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 4:58 PM, BladedPheonix said:

29 minutes ago, paradat said:

Nah plenty of early subs pre WW1. Easy to start at tier3 if they want to.

I agree with BladedPheonix that subs should start at tier 5, you see, Cruisers are introduced at T1, DDs at T2, BBs at T3, CVs at T4,... subs should start at T5 simply for "educational" purposes only, so a new player does not get overburdened with even more stuff.

But certainly some earlier premiums should be possible (i.e. the Mikasa at T2).

• Cool 1

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,062 posts
9,188 battles
2 minutes ago, CO_Valle said:

I agree with BladedPheonix that subs should start at tier 5, you see, Cruisers are introduced at T1, DDs at T2, BBs at T3, CVs at T4,... subs should start at T5 simply for "educational" purposes only, so a new player does not get overburdened with even more stuff.

But certainly some earlier premiums should be possible (i.e. the Mikasa at T2).

I always give new players more credit. This game is not difficult as is. 

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1