You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Firefight Friday - Best Gunslinger

13 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
759 posts
5,738 battles

Related image

*pictured - USS Quincy (CA-71) suppressing German shore batteries near Toulon, France on August 20, 1944*

Which vessel do you bring in when a fierce gun battle ensues?

Gun battles happen fast and fierce on the high seas and what happens in a few seconds can dictate the results of battle.

Not only do fast firing guns count, but accurate, and devastating shots make all of the difference between staying afloat and running for the lifeboats.

When your team needs fire support, which ship gets the call to lay the enemy fleet to waste?

"This ship is built to fight. You had better know how." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#firefightfriday

#anchorsaweigh

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,679 posts
3,451 battles

For a Cruiser main, that's easy. Hindenburg.

12 rapid fire guns with great HE and AP. Torpedoes if things get spicey. And she has turtleback so you avoid any chunk damage for the most part. To make it better she has a good amount of HP, and even her AA is pretty respectable.

I wish my Des Moines had half her strengths.

• Cool 1

[WOSV]
Members
324 posts
2,063 battles

That's kinda tough for me...

Atlanta brings a hilarious Volume of Fire for some nice fire support and the ability to burn through a BB's Damage Control and can really punish some other Cruisers at her tier and is a natural born Destroyer killer, but is really fragile and gets spanked easily.

But if I'm in a kind of knife fight one-on-one:

If it's a BB I bring Hood. I've always had pretty good luck 1v1 with other BB with her. Very tanky for a Tier VII. If it's something like a CL/CA I would probably consider Prinz Eugen. Torpedoes, pretty strong armor, good AP, and a heal for longevity.

I don't exactly have a swiss-army delete anything ship as of yet, but there are a few I like in certain situations. Overall, if it's just one, I might have to say Atlanta. If I can find an island to chill behind, I can do some nice things for the team there. She can really irritate BB, she can slap around a criuser a little bit, CV will keep their distance usually, and Destroyers getting in gun range is a really bad idea usually (unless it's a Leningrad at extreme range).

• Cool 1

[S0L0]
Members
850 posts
4,600 battles

DD: Kitikaze. Harugumo just too clumsy, but Kitty and I get along.

CA: Nueve de Julio. 15 guns and zombie heal to keep them firing.

BB: This is the tough one. Nelson makes my inner pyromaniac very happy, but I enjoy Warspites accuracy, and New Mexico's shotgun o' doom always brings a smile to my face.

Matt

• Cool 1

[-AGW-]
Members
632 posts
9,284 battles

I haven't many high tier ships yet so I can't judge those. Emile Bertain has my best gunnery percentage in a boat where that actually matters (in some DDs I have higher but that's just pew pew rounds). It can gun down other cruisers with a couple of AP salvos and equally give DDs a hard time with its high and accurate rate of HE fire.

But when it comes to a real brawl I would still go with Bismarck. Under 10k her guns are accurate enough and combined with manual secondaries it can put out a real rain of hurt. Surprisingly I also do well in it with many long range salvos. Maybe not all 8 rifles hit, but even just one can give a US BB a bloody nose with a citadel.

• Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles
23 minutes ago, mobryan said:

DD: Kitikaze. Harugumo just too clumsy, but Kitty and I get along.

I'm still working on my relationship with Kitakaze.  Up to this point, Akizuki has been a much better dance partner.  I think I put too much stock into her guns, which makes me play aggressively far too early in matches.  I have Haragumo, but until I get Kitakaze right, I'm not going to bother much with the former.

I honestly don't get too much satisfaction out of the pew-pew DDs, as I don't find their playstyle very engaging.  I could teach my dog how to hold down the left mouse button in the right scenarios.

• Cool 1

[TF16B]
Members
8,015 posts
16,964 battles

High tier or low?

If low; St Louis, (NOT the froufrou one,) or Bogatyr. Very low tier; Emden/Dresden.

• Cool 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,302 posts
11,393 battles

For a destroyer I would have to say Kitakazi stealth build. 5.9 surprise.

Cruiser would be Nuevo de Hulio for 15 guns & heal. Or Minnow rapid guns & smoke.

Battleship either Scharnhurst or Republique.  Rapid firing guns .

• Cool 1

[O_O]
Members
662 posts
6,038 battles

my personal go to for firefighting are 

1. Atlanta (may not live very long but hope to have support when all hell breaks loose). 

2. Cleveland....enough said.

3. my secondary gunslinger Tirpitz. awesome for close quarters brawling...buwhahaha

:Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1

[RNDM]
Members
90 posts
2,571 battles

USN BBs are so far my best guns. Best dispersion and great AP and HE shells. I can normally get a pretty good shot at anything in them and I have yet to get past CO. I love my Gearing, Cleveland and other fast firing gunboats because I can adjust my aim and get a lot of hits in a short time(and burn ships to the waterline). I like the speed boats that get me in position for good shots. But in the end, a USN BB is capable of punishing gunnery regardless of positioning. At range AP shells fall like AP dive bombers and I can cit KM BBs. Up close they punish exposed broadsides. It the enemy is angled switch to HE and watch them burn and chunk them for some good damage as well. I will admit I am somewhat biased.

Ask me about knife fighters next

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,657 posts

Tier for tier, pound for pound... if I get a mission that says "score a lot of hard precision hits"... I bring out the Konigsberg.  Flat-firing, hole-punching, citadel-seeking, rapid-firing.

Edited by KilljoyCutter