Jump to content
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
monpetitloup

A though on ranked sprint

31 comments in this topic

Recommended Posts

256
[SUCIT]
Members
770 posts
3,493 battles

Someone posted this at the start of the last season as well.

It's 100% accurate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,532
[BIAS]
Members
3,004 posts
8,982 battles

*looking for gremy seal clubber*

Phew, it's not there, I feel so much better. 

  • Funny 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
660
[UDEAD]
[UDEAD]
Beta Testers
1,023 posts
10,174 battles

I'd rather they get the message at tier 5 than dump time and doubloons into a fruitless rush to tier 10 where they will get clubbed all the same.  The main difference being that they won't quit at 10 due to the investment and continue to be the equivalent of ship based speed bumps for everyone but players like themselves.

The message being that this is a competitive game, it's either "git gud" or "git sunk".

I have seen good players dominating in the Nicholas, a Konigsberg or a Kongo, all of which are standard tech tree ships and available to anyone with the credits.  I am grateful for the opportunity to introduce new players to the wonders of the Gremyaschy and tell them they can have their own in the tier 6 Fushun or pony up and buy a tier 6 Anshan.

 

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10
[WMD]
Members
77 posts
4,796 battles

I really liked the T5 ranked. Kongo is a lot of fun, I play the ARP versions since they were free and have 10pt skippers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
55 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

image.png.0422e1e7c43c8f0bf9e84d377fd6c9d9.png

if only i could add in me pink kongo lol!

1. Not everyone who owns a Giulio Cesare, Kami/Fujin, or Gremmy is a seal clubber.  Owning a strong ship does not make one a strong player.

2. While there's probably some truth about the unicums CV player part, the reality is that tier 5 CV play is entirely automatic, so the degree to which a unicums CV main can dominate is somewhat limited.  And frankly, if one truly is a newbie CV player, you probably shouldn't be playing ranked in a CV.  BBs would be more forgiving.

3. Regardless of points 1 and 2, the reality is that even if the OP tier 5 premiums and CVs weren't allowed in Sprint, better players would still beat the crap out of newbie players in Sprint.

  • Cool 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
412
[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
20 minutes ago, Crucis said:

1. Not everyone who owns a Giulio Cesare, Kami/Fujin, or Gremmy is a seal clubber.  Owning a strong ship does not make one a strong player.

2. While there's probably some truth about the unicums CV player part, the reality is that tier 5 CV play is entirely automatic, so the degree to which a unicums CV main can dominate is somewhat limited.  And frankly, if one truly is a newbie CV player, you probably shouldn't be playing ranked in a CV.  BBs would be more forgiving.

3. Regardless of points 1 and 2, the reality is that even if the OP tier 5 premiums and CVs weren't allowed in Sprint, better players would still beat the crap out of newbie players in Sprint.

quite true. while i dont consider giulio to be op, there was one guilio player shooting he at me broadsidish pink kongo in low tiers. this format is just very easy with the few stars and many irrevocalbe ranks. but i enjoy(ed) it, completely stress free.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,364
[-K-]
Members
5,051 posts
8,934 battles
1 hour ago, BiggieD61 said:

I'd rather they get the message at tier 5 than dump time and doubloons into a fruitless rush to tier 10 where they will get clubbed all the same.  The main difference being that they won't quit at 10 due to the investment and continue to be the equivalent of ship based speed bumps for everyone but players like themselves.

The message being that this is a competitive game, it's either "git gud" or "git sunk".

I have seen good players dominating in the Nicholas, a Konigsberg or a Kongo, all of which are standard tech tree ships and available to anyone with the credits.  I am grateful for the opportunity to introduce new players to the wonders of the Gremyaschy and tell them they can have their own in the tier 6 Fushun or pony up and buy a tier 6 Anshan.

 

Good points here.  There are many poorly played "OP premiums" out there, with a lot of well played tech-tree ships on the flip side.  I've seen many a Minekaze and/or Mutsuki do very well in the first iteration of Ranked Sprint.  Just proves more that good skill and a bit of luck go much farther than the reputation of a ship itself.

23 minutes ago, Crucis said:

3. Regardless of points 1 and 2, the reality is that even if the OP tier 5 premiums and CVs weren't allowed in Sprint, better players would still beat the crap out of newbie players in Sprint.

Very true.  A good ship can be played poorly as much as any other.  But like Biggie said above, it's better to learn your hard knocks at T5 than at the truly competitive tiers at T8+.

Honestly, I'd love to see a shift next time around to a 6v6 format at T6, as it is widely considered a much more balanced tier that T5, and far less skewed by the slew of strong premiums at T5.  Heck, I'd even give T4 a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
412
[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
23 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

Good points here.  There are many poorly played "OP premiums" out there, with a lot of well played tech-tree ships on the flip side.  I've seen many a Minekaze and/or Mutsuki do very well in the first iteration of Ranked Sprint.  Just proves more that good skill and a bit of luck go much farther than the reputation of a ship itself.

Very true.  A good ship can be played poorly as much as any other.  But like Biggie said above, it's better to learn your hard knocks at T5 than at the truly competitive tiers at T8+.

Honestly, I'd love to see a shift next time around to a 6v6 format at T6, as it is widely considered a much more balanced tier that T5, and far less skewed by the slew of strong premiums at T5.  Heck, I'd even give T4 a go.

i'd love to have tier 1 ranked, could you imagine it? the epitome of no gimmicks. tier 6 was good, but now there is t-61 to consider... in tier 4 just imagine the iwaki alpha domination.

 

made by playing 100% pink kongo, op ships need not apply lol:

shot-18_11.02_19_03.35-0823.thumb.jpg.41c232c8716b46496ea818815e1123f5.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,364
[-K-]
Members
5,051 posts
8,934 battles
5 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

i'd love to have tier 1 ranked, could you imagine it? the epitome of no gimmicks. tier 6 was good, but now there is t-61 to consider... in tier 4 just imagine the iwaki alpha domination.

The only problem with T1 Ranked would be the lack of variety of ships and gameplay style.  It's cruisers only, which many players don't like.  I think you'd have to at least bump it up to T2 for the sake of variety and to capture more of an interest with the playerbase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
412
[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
Just now, Ace_04 said:

The only problem with T1 Ranked would be the lack of variety of ships and gameplay style.  It's cruisers only, which many players don't like.  I think you'd have to at least bump it up to T2 for the sake of variety and to capture more of an interest with the playerbase.

i appreciate the lack of choice, but my thinking was it is the ultimate level playing field. perhaps slightly less so now that everyone would no longer be obliged to take black swan. as such i think it would maximally reflect player skill. tier 2 would be fun too, i'd love to see any form of low tier ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1,364
[-K-]
Members
5,051 posts
8,934 battles
1 minute ago, monpetitloup said:

i appreciate the lack of choice, but my thinking was it is the ultimate level playing field. perhaps slightly less so now that everyone would no longer be obliged to take black swan. as such i think it would maximally reflect player skill. tier 2 would be fun too, i'd love to see any form of low tier ranked.

As much as I agree that low tier Ranked would be fun, there isn't much incentive for WG to do so, as the potential revenue on sales is very minimal at low tiers.  No perma camos and very low priced premium ships isn't going to keep the lights on very long in St. Petersburg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
412
[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
2 minutes ago, Ace_04 said:

As much as I agree that low tier Ranked would be fun, there isn't much incentive for WG to do so, as the potential revenue on sales is very minimal at low tiers.  No perma camos and very low priced premium ships isn't going to keep the lights on very long in St. Petersburg.

true, but neither does submarines or april fools, yet they do those anyway. one season wouldnt kill them, they could follow it up with tier 7 ranked and sell payfast for 10k dollars to make up for it lol :crab:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beta Testers
290 posts
1,752 battles

I almost made it to rank 1, just didn't have the free time.  I did not just play my Kamikaze... also played my Kamikaze R and Fujin:Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
525
[KP]
Members
1,995 posts
18,375 battles
3 hours ago, BiggieD61 said:

I'd rather they get the message at tier 5 than dump time and doubloons into a fruitless rush to tier 10 where they will get clubbed all the same.  The main difference being that they won't quit at 10 due to the investment and continue to be the equivalent of ship based speed bumps for everyone but players like themselves.

The message being that this is a competitive game, it's either "git gud" or "git sunk".

I have seen good players dominating in the Nicholas, a Konigsberg or a Kongo, all of which are standard tech tree ships and available to anyone with the credits.  I am grateful for the opportunity to introduce new players to the wonders of the Gremyaschy and tell them they can have their own in the tier 6 Fushun or pony up and buy a tier 6 Anshan.

 

Don't forget the Gnevny I'm rolling a 2,700 WTR in mine after 200+ Battles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
598
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,314 posts
11,418 battles
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

*looking for gremy seal clubber*

Phew, it's not there, I feel so much better. 

Last sprint season:

Me 48% potato+Grimmy=4 kills & div mate 38%potato Cesear +2kills=whole enemy team killed...

At rank 6...

These are in no way OP...

......

Rank 5 to 1, 2 losses(saved both stars) thanks to KamikazeR...

.....

These are in no way OP..... they are beyond it.

  • Bad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
598
[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,314 posts
11,418 battles
3 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

image.png.0422e1e7c43c8f0bf9e84d377fd6c9d9.png

if only i could add in me pink kongo lol!

I find if you wait 3 or 4 days all the very good players have ranked out and it is easier to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
381
[SAA]
Members
813 posts
26,754 battles

86% WR in Gremy, 55% in Koningsburg and 67% in Kongo.

Was a different type of Ranked that's for sure, but I really didn't notice ships being really OP, but I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
256
[SUCIT]
Members
770 posts
3,493 battles
3 hours ago, Ducky_shot said:

*looking for gremy seal clubber*

Phew, it's not there, I feel so much better. 

Does that mean I get a pass for playing the Gremmy?  :Smile_hiding:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
2 hours ago, monpetitloup said:

i'd love to have tier 1 ranked, could you imagine it? the epitome of no gimmicks. tier 6 was good, but now there is t-61 to consider... in tier 4 just imagine the iwaki alpha domination.

 

I'd absolutely hate tier 1 ranked, and quite probably would NOT play it.  I think that the lowest tier I'd find acceptable for Ranked would be tier 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
412
[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
4 minutes ago, Crucis said:

I'd absolutely hate tier 1 ranked, and quite probably would NOT play it.  I think that the lowest tier I'd find acceptable for Ranked would be tier 2.

What makes it so intolerable for you?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
3 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

What makes it so intolerable for you?

BORING!!!!!!!  No DDs.  No BBs.  No real cruisers.  These things are just "gunboats" of some form.  

And did I say, BORING!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
412
[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

BORING!!!!!!!  No DDs.  No BBs.  No real cruisers.  These things are just "gunboats" of some form.  

And did I say, BORING!!!!!

i like it, same boat for everyone, no gimmicks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4,582
[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
2 minutes ago, monpetitloup said:

i like it, same boat for everyone, no gimmicks.

BORING!!!!!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×