You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
ECPcharles

Should I get the Nelson?

27 comments in this topic

[IBAD]
Members
3 posts
2,289 battles

Hi! 

I got 375k Free XP and well now I got the option to get the nelson. 

Problem is, Im a CA/DD player. 
Don't get me wrong, Im good at playing BB, but I think CA/DD has the faster pace game I desire. 

However, having the Nelson means more CREDITS

And I don't really use FXP for anything else....

So basically, should I save it for the chance WG will release a 375k FXP non-BB ship? or should I just go for the Nelson, which I heard is fun to play and OP?

Charles

[VW]
Members
1,821 posts
12,266 battles
7 minutes ago, ECPcharles said:

Hi! 

I got 375k Free XP and well now I got the option to get the nelson. 

Problem is, Im a CA/DD player. 
Don't get me wrong, Im good at playing BB, but I think CA/DD has the faster pace game I desire. 

However, having the Nelson means more CREDITS

And I don't really use FXP for anything else....

So basically, should I save it for the chance WG will release a 375k FXP non-BB ship? or should I just go for the Nelson, which I heard is fun to play and OP?

Charles

Save 750k and get a real money maker. Read mouse’s reviews. Nelson is no where near being op.

[INTEL]
Members
8,410 posts
25,252 battles

Two days ago would have said yes.

Better hold off to see whether WG is going to implement the proposed AP changes. They will cause problems for Nelson.

[SIDE]
Members
1,204 posts
8,657 battles

I have the Nelson. It's ok, but I rarely play it. I am a cruiser main, and I find the Nelson is too slow. It's not a bad BB, good heal, but...

It's too slow!

Like the previous poster suggested, save your free xp.

Members
67 posts
3,050 battles

I prefer CAs and DDs and Nelson is too slow for my personal tastes. Slow moving slow reload. 

It has strong HE, and I hear it has strong AP as well, but by the time my guns reload whatever target I wanted to shoot at is rarely still broadside. The HE/Fire damage is easily repairable and in the end I feel like I don't get to influence the match very much. 

To be honest I am not very good in BBs so take it with a grain of salt.

[-WPG-]
Members
727 posts
3,133 battles

I got it because reviews were good and stats were above average. However, I just can't make it work. Most of my BBs have good WRs but it's terrible in the Nelson.  It is good for farming Dreadnaught flags. 

• Boring 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,136 posts
8,762 battles

it is a good fun ship and a great trainer ship if you are going up the RN BB line.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Members
5,328 posts
9,387 battles

If you are a 'Free' player with no investment into premiums..  Then YES.  It's your only RN trainer you can get for hard work alone.

Tier 7 is crowded with RN premium BBs.  Other folks don't like it, but the Duke of York really works well for me.  The Hood is also a nice boat if you like the Ishizuchi play style.

Light cruiser citadels abound using main-gun HE.  AP is good for nailing Heavy cruisers and VERY broadside BBs, but spamming HE fits it better.

I don't have the Nelson, and I've been tempted a few times.  But I'm saving up for the Alaska (or Guam).  Got 900K saved up.

[FML]
Members
1,626 posts
9,884 battles

Look, the Nelson is a good ship but you need to treat her right - understand her weaknesses and her limitations, and you can outlast anything on the battlefield. Your main objective should be looking to burn things that have DCPed and survive late game to tank damage as your epic heal makes you hard to kill - particularly if enemy ship is hurt. It rewards methodical and deliberate play; failure to plan means you plan to fail. 

However, WG might be about to release some T9 ships for free XP, like Alaska or Jean Bart - whilst it will take you longer to earn the free xp, it will generate more credits per battle. But those ships are not confirmed. 

So, I’d hold off for another month or so before make ng a decision. 

[DENY]
Members
288 posts
4,375 battles

Yea maybe wait , I got the KRON and it a good money maker stacked with flag the most I did was 1.6m credit , and many times me around 1m

[ARGSY]
Members
5,733 posts
3,912 battles

I bought Nelson and don't regret it, BUT my fleet is very RN-centric, so the Nelson was a natural addition. If you are not heavily invested into RN battleships and cruisers, it's better to wait and save up for a 750K ship.

[WOLFB]
Members
1,649 posts
8,027 battles

I just bought Nelson I don't regret it at all. Against same and lower tier ship you load AP and delete everything, against higher tier ship, your AP still work and worst case scenario, you have that really good HE and fire chance. She's not OP and you can easily delete her if you catch her broadside but her survivability with heal and good positionning is probably the best among all other T7.

But if you're more interested in cruiser save your money for Alaska. I heard she's good but it doesn't really interest me. Also you have Kronshtad which is a decent T9.

[ARP3]
Members
355 posts
9,900 battles

Get the musashi. You'll go broke playing Nelson.

• Bad 2

[DRG_N]
Members
407 posts
582 battles

Nelson is a battleship, so no. Don't get her.  All you'd be doing is paying wargaming for screwing you.

• Boring 1

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,317 posts
11,420 battles

Hold on to it until we find out if Alaska will be a free exp ship or not.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,357 posts
10,138 battles

I have all the FXP ships that have come out so far. Had zero interest in Nelson but got it because I want all the FXP ships. It's "ok" but not really a big fan. It is super slow, has awful AA and secondary guns, isn't very accurate, has limited gun range, and is super squishy (don't EVER get caught showing your side or you are toast). The guns do hit hard when they actually connect and the HE is good at least. It has the famous BRN Lazarus heal too.

I mean maybe it will work for you and you will like it. I play BB, Cruiser, and DD. So no real bias towards any class. I play Nelson now and then but it just isn't very good "for me". YMMV. The fact you say you mainly CA/DD tells me you are probably better off waiting to see if Alaska will be FXP. Your call though obviously.

Members
472 posts
1,992 battles

From what I have seen of her she is a fatter, slower, longer dunkerque with the RN super heal. If that sounds appealing go for it.

Members
86 posts
820 battles

I think I'd wait if I were you. I just got the Nelson a week ago and its fantastic - but only because I play a lot of bbs. You need to already know how to play them a bit, because despite the awesome advantage of having three fore turrets, you have to be extra mindful of exposing your sides, keeping your angles, and minding your position in a slow ship, all of which is not learned as much in a dd and cv, in my experience.

• Cool 1

[KAPPA]
Members
144 posts
4,220 battles

If you know how to angle and plan ahead, she will be Nelson: God of Fireproof. I usually play her as a living target, kiting and drawing fire for the whole game. Usually I only die if I do something dumb, as I'm far from unicum. That said, if you want a unique playstyle BB, she is that taken to the extreme. Unlike Conqueror and Lion, she is extremely vulnerable. She's a trickier Dunkerq with a turret hiding behind the forward two. If you love being able to freely maneuver and still fire, she allows this, as her guns all rotate towards the bow. If you love healing for up to 48% of your health in a single sitting, she allows this, being a zombie needing a headshot dearly. If you play her often and well, you will be easily printing dreadnoughts and fireproofs, and can even survive floods fairly easily. The only other ships that can do that are T9+ RN BBs, T8+ RN CLs, Salem and I think Boise. She is a hard ship that will reward you in ways few ships will for skilled play, and that is something the credit earnings of higher tier premiums can't say, as they aren't Wolverine.

That said, if you don't know how to angle well, you will be as fragile as a cruiser. But if you can angle well, she'll bounce Musashi's shells if you time it just right. She has the fragility of a cruiser, but the potential of a BB with around 200k health. She's a fun ship that doesn't have any true peers at her tier, at least for what she'd call her job, and her job is being a damage sponge. She's my favorite ship at the tier, but she's no cruiser. If you want to consider her, first you must consider if you like RN BBs, as they are so, so different from other nations. You don't even need to get far, only understand their limitations.

Their HE is simply the best, and their AP with try to trick you into thinking it's good. Ohh, it is good, but not as good as the other nations'. That said, their AP can make brawling easy if you don't shoot for the cit on ships you can't cit. Aim high, hitting above the belt, and you can fairly easily do 20,000 damage in a salvo. That said, they suck at hitting through water due to the faster fuse time. They will at times make dealing with cruisers a pain due to this.

• Cool 1

Members
5,020 posts
2,948 battles

She's okay, far from being OP. Unless you really want her, and have some kind of personal affinity for her or British BBs, I'd say hang onto your fxp.

[SF-A]
Members
2,847 posts
5,547 battles

Nelson is a fabulous ship. The zombie heal and godlike shells are absolutely phenomenal when you force an enemy to deal with them head-on. But only then. If you aren't good at positioning, ammo choice, and consumable management, don't bother.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

It is one of the strongest ships in Tier VII, and there are numerous Broken OP ones there.

406mm guns, RN BB HE, special RN BB AP fusing (has its own pro's and con's).  Her 406mm AP gives her Overmatch advantages and unlike the 380mm or smaller armed BBs, some Tier VIII+ Cruisers with 27mm bows cannot laugh off Nelson's AP by simple face tanking.  With her gun size and good shell selection, users will appreciate the options they give her.  Cruiser or broadside target?  Nail them with AP.  A heavy armor target that's not stupid and protecting their sides?  Feed them 406mm RN BB Mega HE.  Mega Repair Party lets her laugh off HE spam and Fire dmg as she prints a new hull.

There are only 3 concerns Nelson has:

1.  Torpedoes and some of the heavy damage they do negate quite a lot of what the Mega Repair Party heals back.

2.  She's susceptible to 380mm+ AP and can eat some nasty citadels from such BBs.

3.  AA is completely worthless.  She's big, slow, so combine that AA and weakness to torpedoes, she is very vulnerable to CV air attacks, namely from Torpedo Bombers.  If the CV Revamp makes Carriers a more popular choice than they are today, and with more CVs in the queues, Nelson will be a highly vulnerable target.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[PHU]
Members
22 posts
2,011 battles

Nelson is not OP, but it's by far the strongest T7 BB imo. Everything that needs to be said about its playstyle has been covered. If you want more detail, take a look at Mouse's review. Nelson is a good credit earner, though based just on you saying that you're a CA/DD player who enjoys a faster pace, I would give it a pass. Nelson games are not fast paced. I wouldn't spend all that Free XP on something I don't find too much fun in. It'd be best to wait for Alaska and see if that ends up costing Free XP.

• Cool 1

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,689 posts
11,061 battles

With the proposed up coming changes, probably not