Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Jacques_Squat

Um...hey. And whatnot.

15 comments in this topic

Members
72 posts
557 battles

I looked around for a welcome/introduction type thread but couldn't find one so I'm putting this here.  No wait....

...here. 

So after a year of being nagged I have agreed to play this game.  Mostly to shut up my roommate but also because he said I could get free stuff if I accepted his invite.  Even more importantly, he said HE would get a bunch of free stuff if I accepted his invite.  (Ulterior motive anyone?)  Turns out, it's a fun game. Yay!  Not a big military enthusiast or any of that stuff.  Just like fun games and ships are cool.

So now after 40 odd games and learning all there is to know about the World of Warships, ( I can go forward, back, left and right.  That's pretty much it right?), I do have one question.  I played a game in my little cruiser and was chased all over the map by a guy in a destroyer.  I swear he was like a friggin' pit bull, dude just would not relent.  Until I finally sank him.  So after the game was finished I looked at his profile and it said he had almost 10,000 games.  9300 ish of which were tier 3 which is the tier I was playing at the time.  Is this a thing or is gameplay better at lower tiers?  Just curious.  Roomie says he was trying to "seal club" me.  I thought that was an interesting term and had him explain it to me. 

Anyway, this is me, a baby seal.  Hi.  Club me sometime and we'll have a beer after. See you in-game.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,761 posts
Just now, Jacques_Squat said:

So now after 40 odd games and learning all there is to know about the World of Warships

Oooooohhhhh boy are you in over your head....   x'D

Welcome to the family, if you have questions, most of the folks around here will be happy to help

Members
72 posts
557 battles
3 minutes ago, Chobittsu said:

Oooooohhhhh boy are you in over your head....   x'D

Thanks :)  Yeah, that's kind of my area of expertise.  Thanks, I'm sure I will have plenty.

[HYDRO]
Members
1,848 posts
3,947 battles

Club sealing occurs at times, yes. Basically a player farming newbies for kills/stats/achievements. If you feel at some point that you want a break from random battles, give Co Op a shot, it can be more calm.

Nevetheless welcome, you already belong to the top 10% of the by looking up the forums. :Smile-_tongue:

Edited by warheart1992

Members
4,679 posts
6,836 battles
34 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

OP, it may surprise you, but some people have that many games in tier 1 random.

I check this kinda thing from time to time. A LOT of high stat players play a LOT of very low tier matches with their buddies to keep their sacred stats high. They don't like to admit it however. 

Members
518 posts
4,506 battles
On 11/1/2018 at 6:13 PM, J30_Reinhardt said:

Seal bones are tastiest bones.

Ah so that’s why you keep chewing that same bone every time I see you post something.

Members
72 posts
557 battles

I have reached the landmark 100 games and now that I REALLY know everything there could ever possibly be to learn about World of Warships here are a few of my observations.

1. First, it's never your fault.  If you die in battle always blame you teammates and call them newbs/noobs/potatos or some derogatory expletive.  Be sure to do this throughout the remainder of the game in order to let your team know how crappy they are and how good you are.  This will earn you respect and admiration from all the lesser players.

2. Pings Rule!  Pick a square, 2 or 3 when possible, it doesn't matter which ones and ping them incessantly throughout the game.  This is commonly done by all the best players.  I learned this from the guys who have mastered #1 above.

3.  When behind friendly ships ALWAYS shoot torpedoes as often as possible.  Your DD's engaged in close quarter combat will especially  love you for this if you aim those torps at the ship they are fighting.  Don't worry about warnings either, the DD's have the best situational awareness of anyone in the fleet.

4. I can't play a battleship to save my life.

5.  Always, and I mean always put your cruiser broadside to every battleship you encounter.  You need to get those extra guns on that target.  Do this and watch your win rate soar!  You will thank me for this bit of advice.

These are the most important things I have learned to this point.  If anyone has any additional suggestions in the unlikely event that I don't actually know everything there is to know about WOWS feel free to chime in but I think I have the basics covered.

Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Edited by Jacques_Squat
  • Funny 1

Members
467 posts
6,201 battles

Well said Padwan.  Soon the student shall become the master. Nice to see you are having fun and doing well from the looks of things.

• Cool 1

[WOLF3]
Members
6,902 posts
2,705 battles
On 11/1/2018 at 7:35 PM, Jacques_Squat said:

So after the game was finished I looked at his profile and it said he had almost 10,000 games.  9300 ish of which were tier 3 which is the tier I was playing at the time.  Is this a thing or is gameplay better at lower tiers? 

It's a thing among some.  I sometimes enjoy seal clubbing too; others make it their life's work.  Your response was exactly appropriate, and probably pissed him off.  :fish_boom:

Anyway, welcome to the party.

[WOLF3]
Members
6,902 posts
2,705 battles
14 hours ago, Jacques_Squat said:

I can't play a battleship to save my life.

Battleships are a different kinda beast.  Stick with cruisers for a while, then try them again.  The pace of life is different, and aiming so much more important.  When you get to Account Level 15, go to a Training Room to practice your aim.  (Also, run with Alternate Interface and Dynamic Cursor enabled.) 

BBs are more position-dependent than most players give them credit for.  In a slow BB, your ability to read the map and determine where to exert your influence become more important since the chance to change your mind basically isn't there.  South Carolina / Wyoming are good starts, but so are other lines (except Kawachi / Myogi <ptui>) so consider diversifying.

Also remember to kill the little red ships before the big ones, given the opportunity.  A BB deprived of support is a weak BB.  Likewise, try to keep your little green ships alive.  They may save your [edited].

Sign in to follow this