You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
AdmiralDrake

Stats and thoughts on Killer Whale Sub

12 comments in this topic

[SIMP]
Alpha Tester
65 posts
7,356 battles

In case anyone was curious how the stats of this compared to the other ships

Deck gun:

• 105mm
  • 4km range
  • 6% fire
  • 1500 HE damage
  • 5s reload

Torps:

freeze torps

• 17533 alpha
  • 66 knots
  • 8km range

damage torps

• 21367 alpha
  • 76 knots
  • 8km range

Tubes:

Reload 40s stock, 36s with torp reload skill

• 4x1 front damage torps
  • 2x1 front freeze torps
  • 2x1 rear damage torps -faces directly back unlike the gerfalcon which is off to side
  • 2x1 rear damage torps -also faces directly back

Oxygen:

about 1 minute and 20 seconds I believe, replenishes at a moderate speed

Maneuverability:

Turns kinda slowly and surfaces incredibly slowly. Probably one of the slowest at surfacing.

shot-18_11.01_17_14.55-0457.thumb.jpg.91b224f59388871d2230e0ea9bb3e323.jpg

Imo a good sub but I have more fun in the sealowe with the triple front launchers and the fast surfacing ability. The torps on this sub all hit very hard and this has the speed to close the gap

• Cool 1

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,918 battles

It seems that each sub has a trade off. Killer whale gets an advantagous torpedo loadout in exchange for less manuverability. 

Seelowe and Barracuda are a good example of basic balancing. Barracuda gets a 1x4 and a 1x2 and secondaries, while Seelowe gets 2x2 and 1x2. Both go the same speed and manuver the same.

Honestly, the real stinker is Zipper. It can manuver but has a bad armorment. Single deck gun doesn't make it feel any better.

Gerfalcon is nice but I feel like Gerfalcon is to Killer Whale as Barracuda is to Seelowe. And then Zipper is sitting on the side lines like "I'm only relevent because I'm a sub otherwise no one would use me."

• Cool 1

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,571 posts
14,010 battles
6 minutes ago, Francois424 said:

I hope they don't put freeze torps in the real game... but I like what I see so far !

While Events have been used as test beds, i.e. Operations didn't exist until Saving Transylvania came about, there's tons and tons of event gimmicks that never see the light of the base game.  Think of the consumables and abilities of the Sunray in the Darkness ships.  Those never get into regular ships.

IMO, relax.  This will get sorted out for adaptation into the regular game.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[AHOY_]
Beta Testers
6,410 posts
3,407 battles

Killer Whale may be slow (still fast enough for me to light up the castle and disable the CD timer), but she let me get another 5s run. Ironically, her slow submerging and slow surfacing allows for extended "gliding" between depths in which she can't effectively take enemy fire. Her torpedo setup also allows for very straightforward hit-and-runs; charge in, torp away, submerge, sail underneath, surface, and torp again.

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles
10 minutes ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

Think of the consumables and abilities of the Sunray in the Darkness ships.  Those never get into regular ships.

I'm thinking of the consequences of putting Magnu-S into the base game as a T10 prem with Tirpitz weapon ranges... 2 second 2ndary reload is very, very nice. Especially with IFHE so your secondaries can all pen over 32mm plating.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,548 posts
3,734 battles
5 minutes ago, Guardian54 said:

I'm thinking of the consequences of putting Magnu-S into the base game as a T10 prem with Tirpitz weapon ranges... 2 second 2ndary reload is very, very nice. Especially with IFHE so your secondaries can all pen over 32mm plating.

Imagine the invulnerability consumable and repair circle. No more reason to camp.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,929 posts
6,433 battles
2 hours ago, AdmiralDrake said:

In case anyone was curious how the stats of this compared to the other ships

Deck gun:

• 105mm
  • 4km range
  • 6% fire
  • 1500 HE damage
  • 5s reload

Torps:

freeze torps

• 17533 alpha
  • 66 knots
  • 8km range

damage torps

• 21367 alpha
  • 76 knots
  • 8km range

Tubes:

Reload 40s stock, 36s with torp reload skill

• 4x1 front damage torps
  • 2x1 front freeze torps
  • 2x1 rear damage torps -faces directly back unlike the gerfalcon which is off to side
  • 2x1 rear damage torps -also faces directly back

Oxygen:

about 1 minute and 20 seconds I believe, replenishes at a moderate speed

Maneuverability:

Turns kinda slowly and surfaces incredibly slowly. Probably one of the slowest at surfacing.

shot-18_11.01_17_14.55-0457.thumb.jpg.91b224f59388871d2230e0ea9bb3e323.jpg

Imo a good sub but I have more fun in the sealowe with the triple front launchers and the fast surfacing ability. The torps on this sub all hit very hard and this has the speed to close the gap

being 9K base XP from having it, this will do nicely 

[70]
Members
961 posts
3,691 battles
10 minutes ago, Vader_Sama said:

Imagine the invulnerability consumable and repair circle. No more reason to camp.

The Invulnerability would be seen as way too OP unless it, say, didn't block torpedoes. In which case people will still camp.

Conclusion: Cowards will almost always remain cowards.

Edited by Guardian54

Beta Testers
152 posts
3,646 battles

Still need to grind the Killer whale out. When I played it in the Public test it felt a little unweildly. It's about as big as the Barracuda but it doesn't have the flexible secondaries to make it more like a sort-of-destroyer. It's got one deck gun, which isn't much, the biggest strength is probably the rear torpedoes. Yet if you're going for a pop-up attack I feel the Gerfalcon is a little better at that (after some practice) because you can slow down, duck under, and attack the target.

I think without the Killer Whale the Seelowe has everyone's attention because the 6 torps front is hard to beat. If WG is paying attention to which torpedo model to go with (There are several- why split the Seelowe across 2x2 tubes when the Barracuda has a 4x1?) we might likely see torpedoes grouped by columns or rows when they're reloaded.

I agree with Phil on the Zipper. Least played, least desired sub.

[RNCS]
Members
10 posts
189 battles

Most of the subs are based on model of real design.

Seelowe is obviously modeled after the type XXI u boat. 6 front tubes and mast mounted AA gun is unmistakable. 

(which can do 17kn underwater in real life, which much much better than others at the time.)

Barracuda is modeled after HMS X1 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_X1

Unfortunately it is not the hilarious M1 with a 12" gun. 

Zipper only carries two tubes, the only match I could find are the WW1 vingate RN A, B, C classes or the IGN UB I 

The killer whale looks like one of the series of WWII USN submarine classes, of which 6 front tube, 4 rear tubes is typical. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gato-class_submarine

Gerfalcon is just weird and I have no idea what it is based on. 

[LRM]
Members
2,522 posts
4,918 battles
14 minutes ago, HMS_Tamar said:

Most of the subs are based on model of real design.

Seelowe is obviously modeled after the type XXI u boat. 6 front tubes and mast mounted AA gun is unmistakable. 

(which can do 17kn underwater in real life, which much much better than others at the time.)

Barracuda is modeled after HMS X1 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_X1

Unfortunately it is not the hilarious M1 with a 12" gun. 

Zipper only carries two tubes, the only match I could find are the WW1 vingate RN A, B, C classes or the IGN UB I 

The killer whale looks like one of the series of WWII USN submarine classes, of which 6 front tube, 4 rear tubes is typical. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gato-class_submarine

Gerfalcon is just weird and I have no idea what it is based on. 

Gerfalcon or zipper is a French patrol submarine. Don't remember which.