You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
1HandTiedBehindMyBack

Sprint is all the garbage of this rolled into one

36 comments in this topic

Beta Testers
355 posts
7,361 battles

So lets see how many dumb mechanics WG can cram into 1 game mode

1- Carriers:  WG knows that are completely unbalanced so hey lets include them in an ultra competitive game mode where they will be even more broken!

2- Save a star: Nope don't reward the people actually fighting for the objective, give the star to the useless camping damage farmer!

3- Broken OP premiums:  Yeap lets pick the tier with by far the most retardly OP premiums in the game!  Grats on enforcing pay to win!

4- Divisions:  Yes cause they are all equal, nothing like getting stuck with sub 45%ers in stock hull ships vs 60% + team in OP premium.

5- Garbage rewards: Wow less that a week worth of coal and flags to grind in  a mode that rewards bad players playing selfishly.

So 3 years and this is what they come up with, very very SAD.  I guess after playing through this garbage they think people won't remember how bad normal ranked is.

• Funny 1
  • Boring 3
  • Bad 5

[ICOP]
Members
777 posts
3,079 battles

The only difference between normal and sprint is item 4, plus normal gives more trinkets/bobbles due the extra ranks involved.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
355 posts
7,361 battles

Sweet thought why not give it another go

41% Bouge vs 67% Zuiho  but hey our CV shot down 2 planes

Oh and the POS camping Ceaser that never got within 10km of a cap kept his star!

• Funny 1
  • Boring 4

[-TKS-]
Members
283 posts
5,536 battles

If anything ranked carriers @ T5  are better then any tier higher . You cant strafe and no manual drops this eliminates two important skills that makes a difference between a good carrier and bad carrier commander in the higher tiers 

Of course its garbage rewards didnt have to work that hard for rank 1

Edited by EyE_dYe_QuIck

[KRAK]
Members
916 posts
12,895 battles
20 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

1- Carriers:  WG knows that are completely unbalanced so hey lets include them in an ultra competitive game mode where they will be even more broken!

2- Save a star: Nope don't reward the people actually fighting for the objective, give the star to the useless camping damage farmer!

3- Broken OP premiums:  Yeap lets pick the tier with by far the most retardly OP premiums in the game!  Grats on enforcing pay to win!

4- Divisions:  Yes cause they are all equal, nothing like getting stuck with sub 45%ers in stock hull ships vs 60% + team in OP premium.

5- Garbage rewards: Wow less that a week worth of coal and flags to grind in  a mode that rewards bad players playing selfishly.

So 3 years and this is what they come up with, very very SAD.  I guess after playing through this garbage they think people won't remember how bad normal ranked is.

Can WG ever do anything right?

People cried when ranked was T10, they cried over save a star, they cried over no save a star, they cry about CVS, now they cry about premiums.

WG made a low tier ranked cause that was what the majority on the forums ASKED for and it still isn't good enough.

No one forces you to play ranked.

• Cool 6

[FBXGC]
Members
85 posts
1,406 battles

I saw a lot of Nicholas' and Acostas killing the Kami sisters and Kongos performing pretty well against the GC's a OR's in the ranked games. I think the biggest issue w/ ranked sprint at T5 was the lack of cruisers.

• Cool 1

[HINON]
Supertester
18,903 posts
12,435 battles
1 minute ago, Vaffu said:

Nope. No matter what they do, people will complain and try to compete for who can complain the loudest and using the more outrageous similes.

• Cool 3

[KRAK]
Members
916 posts
12,895 battles
Just now, Lert said:

Nope. No matter what they do, people will complain and try to compete for who can complain the loudest and using the more outrageous similes.

I realize everyone has their own special interest in the game but it is just getting silly now.

Every single day there is another this or that needs a nerf post or some other complaint that is based in their own mind instead of reality.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,311 posts
11,415 battles
27 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

You don't have  to  play it.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
22 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

1. I don't like carriers so it wouldn't bother me to not have them in Ranked.  But for crying out loud, I'd hardly call Ranked Sprint "ultra competitive".

2. I've regularly saved stars in losses playing DDs.  It's all about playing well.

3. OP premiums?  Why don't you whine some more?  Or better yet, why don't you crack open your wallet and buy one or more of those supposedly OP premiums!

4. You're correct that not all divisions are equal in talent.  But the reality is that not all TEAMS are equal in talent.

5.  You think that you deserve a great reward for such little effort in Ranked Sprint?  Mind you, I kind of wish that the rewards were just a little better, like maybe 500 or 1k steel for ranking out.  Or maybe 15k coal for ranking out (the same amount of coal as what you'd get out of a supercontainer).  But overall, I'm not greedy.  I had a good time playing Ranked Sprint, and I wasn't particularly bothered by the rewards.

Got some more whines?  Bring'em on!

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
415 posts
3,620 battles
12 minutes ago, Crucis said:

Or better yet, why don't you crack open your wallet and buy one or more of those supposedly OP premiums!

Exactly! I think I will... oh wait, they're not for sale anymore. So thanks for the invalid advice.

Although for the record: while I do think Kamikazes/Fujins are an unfair advantage (I would love to have that advantage myself to even the playing field), I do not think it fundamentally broke Ranked Sprint.

I just think it meant several games were imbalanced. But since it was only ten Ranks with a lot of irrevocable Ranks, it was pretty easy to move on despite losing to those boats more often than not. It was frustrating but you could work around it.

Overall I thought Ranked Sprint was great. I am someone with a medium amount of time in the game; this was my first time playing Ranked for real -- I don't have any Tier 10 ships so didn't really get to play last time. I had a lot of fun. I am pretty competitive and I enjoyed the opportunity for a lower tier player like myself to try my hand in a competitive setting.

I played the Jianwei pretty much the whole time (I wanted to grind that ship up to the Fushun) and I'm pretty proud of a lot of the games I played where, even in a difficult ship, I was able to make some good plays and contribute to the win.

I would say low tier Ranked is great. I plan on grinding the T-22 in Season 2 and I'm looking forward to getting started tonight.

Edited by Jester_of_War
  • Cool 1

[BIAS]
Members
3,004 posts
8,978 battles

I didn't like the kamikaze in ranked, the gremy however.... Lol

Members
808 posts
2,610 battles

Maybe my graphics are glitched, but I have yet to see anyone keep a star in the second round. The top player's star is never filled in like the rest of the team.

[INTEL]
Members
575 posts
7,289 battles
41 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

Let's instead talk about what would make you happy.  If you could have Ranked your way, what would that look like?

• Cool 1

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
6 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

People cried when ranked was T10, they cried over save a star, they cried over no save a star, they cry about CVS, now they cry about premiums.

WG made a low tier ranked cause that was what the majority on the forums ASKED for and it still isn't good enough.

I have my complaints about Ranked, but I'd like to think that they're not as … whiny … as this OP's complaints.

To be fair about save a star or not save a star, you should consider that it's most likely that different groups of people complain about each of those things.

Regarding "OP premiums" at tier 5, the 3 that come to mind are the Kami/R/Fujin (which I'll count as one), the Gremmy, and the Giulio Cesare.  And I think that these three are very different in the circumstances.

IIRC (and I could be wrong here), I think that the Gremy was mistakenly released for sale during Beta (Closed or Open, I don't recall), when it shouldn't have been.  And perhaps on some sort of extremely cheap sale that caused a considerable number of them to be sold before it was yanked.  From my limited experience with the Gremy (I only got it last Christmas in a Santa box), it could be changed to a tier 6 as is, and it'd still be a good premium DD.

OTOH, the Kami/R/Fujin's were absolutely NOT overpowered when they were released.  They weren't even as good as a fully upgraded Minekaze at the time.  However, when the great IJN DD line split occurred, the Minekaze's torps were nerfed but the Kami/R/Fujin's torps were not, and they became "OP" because the nerf to other DDs, not because they were OP when they were released.

And finally, the Giulio Cesare should, IMO, have never been released as a tier 5 using its post-1930's major reconstruction stats.  The GC would have been an acceptable tier 5 premium in a state closer to its original 13 gun, 21 kt state.  But in its reconstructed state, the GC just doesn't seem like proper tier 5 material to me.  Is it tier 6 material?  Maybe, maybe not.  But it seems to powerful for tier 5 with all that extra speed and gun accuracy.

As for low tier Ranked, I personally enjoyed it.  I enjoyed playing on the completely different lower tier maps which completely changed up the feel of ranked play from past seasons.  I enjoyed it being at a tier that's never been used in Ranked, except in the very first season when Ranked used tier "pairs" rather than single tier groups.  It was fun playing Ranked with ships that haven't seen ranked in a couple of years.

• Cool 1

[LHG]
Members
1,617 posts
4,887 battles
10 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

Pretty much this ^

In looking at the vast majority of the "Ranked is garbage" posts, I've come to the conclusion that practically all of them haven't bothered to figure out what Ranked Sprint is all about. So, in the vain hope of possibly ending this, here are a few things which anyone should be able to easily pick up from the WOWS website or various other threads here. 

1) Ranked Sprint is not normal ranked.  If you are looking for a normal ranked season, one will come along after the current season of clan wars is finished and you'll have the opportunity to gripe about it at that point. 

2) Ranked Sprint is specifically designed for lower mid tier players to provide a competitive outlet for players who do not have Tier 10 ships.  Hence the use of T5 ships. 

3) The effort to achieve a rank in Ranked Sprint is not nearly as much as the effort to do so in standard Ranked Battles and hence the rewards are lower.  

4) WG is experimenting with divisions in Ranked Sprint in part, because they want to foster team play and they realize that there are a vast number of players who, for whatever reason, can not participate in Clan Wars and they want to provide a competitive outlet for these players to play together.

Almost every point made by the OP could equally apply to most seasons of normal Ranked Battles so they are mostly just a rant about Ranked Battles in general rather than Ranked Sprint in particular. 

Bottom line, if you are not a mid-tier player, you have thousands of battles on your resume instead of hundreds, and you don't like how this is set up, well it's not a mode that has been designed with you in mind. You might be better off playing in some other mode instead. 

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
916 posts
12,895 battles
1 minute ago, Crucis said:

To be fair about save a star or not save a star, you should consider that it's most likely that different groups of people complain about each of those things.

I kind of said this here.

17 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

I realize everyone has their own special interest in the game but it is just getting silly now.

Every single day there is another this or that needs a nerf post or some other complaint that is based in their own mind instead of reality.

[WOLFB]
Beta Testers
710 posts
5,168 battles
43 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

Sorry but as much as WG deserves criticism for many things this was a reasonable attempt to fix a mode that was in many ways like being a hamster in a wheel. While I didn't bother to Rank out since I typically play for flags and stop. I look forward to trying this again and ranking out. Good first step to improving this mode.

[DETN8]
Beta Testers
760 posts
5,789 battles

Simple solution, don't play and save your salt for something else.

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,268 battles
10 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Exactly! I think I will... oh wait, they're not for sale anymore. So thanks for the invalid advice.

Although for the record: while I do think Kamikazes/Fujins are an unfair advantage (I would love to have that advantage myself to even the playing field), I do not think it fundamentally broke Ranked Sprint.

I just think it meant several games were imbalanced. But since it was only ten Ranks with a lot of irrevocable Ranks, it was pretty easy to move on despite losing to those boats more often than not. It was frustrating but you could work around it.

Overall I thought Ranked Sprint was great. I am someone with a medium amount of time in the game; this was my first time playing Ranked for real -- I don't have any Tier 10 ships so didn't really get to play last time. I had a lot of fun. I am pretty competitive and I enjoyed the opportunity for a lower tier player like myself to try my hand in a competitive setting.

I played the Jianwei pretty much the whole time (I wanted to grind that ship up to the Fushun) and I'm pretty proud of a lot of the games I played where, even in a difficult ship, I was able to make some good plays and contribute to the win.

I would say low tier Ranked is great. I plan on grinding the T-22 in Season 2 and I'm looking forward to getting started tonight.

You can get them in Santa boxes.  Also, I haven't heard anything about the GC being pulled from sale permanently.  Oh, yeah, it may not be available right now, but I expect that it will at some point in the future.  I got my Gremmy and my Kamikaze (no R) from Santa Boxes last Christmas.  So you can still get them if you're patient.

Jester, if you were able to make the Jianwei work for you in Ranked, good for you.  I doubt that I'd have played her even if I'd had a 19 point captain in her, mostly due to the DWTs not being able to hit enemy DDs.  I sunk a number of DDs using my torps in Sprint and I'd be quite wary of giving that capability up.  That said, Ranked can be a nice way to grind out XP, though I'm not sure that your team mates would appreciate you (or anyone else) bringing anything less than a fully upgraded regular tech tree ship into ranked.

[SPTR]
Members
3,457 posts
5,658 battles
34 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

1- Carriers:  WG knows that are completely unbalanced

Not at tier 5. If you got hit by tier 5 auto dropping tin cans it's probably 70% your fault. Yes, it's unbalanced, as in tier 5 carriers are all boarderline useless.

35 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

in an ultra competitive game mode

You cannot be serious.

36 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

By all means, please camp. I'll just, uhh, casually snag a cap and automatically have a 500 base xp lead over you while also having a much greater say in if we are going to win or lose.

37 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

That is a problem, especially Giulio Cesare, Kamikaze R, and Gremyashchiy. However at tier 5 it wasn't really that Belfast-level no counter stupidity. Cesare have a high and vulnerable citadel, Kamikaze have sh*tty guns, and Gremyashchiy have bad detection and mediocre dpm. Kongo, Konig, Iron Duke, Nicholas are all very competitive tech tree ships that closes the gap.

44 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

I fail to see how divisions at tier 5 can be a problem. Without radar, long range sonar, ships with particularly high threats plus relatively small maps all that divisioning can provide is stagger smoke and focus fire. Which honestly isn't something you can work around with. Besides, I ranked out in slightly more than a dozen games, with the first 6 rounds busting me right out of the second league. If I had a platoonmate equally skilful, that chance of you meeting me in a battle is rather small.

47 minutes ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

For a "ranked" season that allows you to pass through ranks quickley by giving bonus stars on rank up and reducing the star requirement for each rank, 5000 coal is quite a generous reward IMO, personally all the roflstomp I had on the way to rank 1 is the best reward WG have offered to me.

[-TKS-]
[-TKS-]
Members
239 posts
4,074 battles
1 hour ago, 1HandTiedBehindMyBack said:

after playing through this garbage

I liked it a lot. not over bearing. fun to roll with a friend. made wins awesome, made losses easier to bear. I got to play against all levels of captains. games were not too long, not too short, and many were intense.  felt satisfied to cross finish line at R1. 

*used Podvoisky to rank out... So much fun.

Edited by skillztowin

[WMD]
Members
77 posts
4,788 battles

I ranked out using the ARP Kongo ships and my Acasta mostly. The unobtainable prems didn't really much bother me apart from Grem, but even it wasn't Belfast OP. No matter what tier you're in it was there will always be a ship that's more of a challenge to fight.