Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Threat Assessment Thursday - Torpedo in the Water!

6 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
759 posts
5,738 battles

640px-TBM-1C_of_VT-51_launches_from_USS_

*pictured - TBM Avenger from USS San Jacinto from Torpedo Squadron 51 (VT-51) preparing to launch in the vicinity of Wake Island on May 1944*

Which torpedo delivery system (vessel or carrier air group) is your most effective and lethal?

One of the biggest threats to the Fleet is a strike of incoming torpedoes and the devastation they can inflict.

However, a good torpedo attack platform not only requires a good vessel or air group, but a skilled captain/air group commander (CAG).

For dishing out torpedoes to the enemy fleet, what vessel gets the call?

"Good ideas are not adopted automatically. They must be driven into practice with courageous impatience." - Hymen Rickover, US Navy

#threatassessmentthursday

#anchorsaweigh

Members
541 posts
12 battles

Air-dropped torps are launched closer to targets, so its best function is for inflicting massive damage that is almost unavoidable. Their weakness is that planes can be destroyed before launching their load, therefore it requires great skill to preserve torpedo bombers.

Vessel-dropped torps usually are launched further out, depending on the vessel's concealment. This makes the torps easier to dodge and is more susceptible to earlier detecrtion. However, vessel-launched torps are an excellent area-denial weapon. Never mind the violent reactions from a certain group of players, but even if these torps rarely hit (if at all), players have this tendency to turn back and run instead when torps are approaching their direction.

Both have their own stengths and weaknesses, and it is up to the player to master their art to be effective and efficient.

Edited by RyuuohD_NA
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
5,038 posts
8,925 battles

How about this little gem right here with her 11s torpedo reload:

Capture.JPG

• Cool 1

[NFE]
Members
30 posts
2,735 battles
1 hour ago, RyuuohD_NA said:

Both have their own stengths and weaknesses, and it is up to the player to master their art to be effective and efficient.

This is my thinking, as well. Torpedoes from planes are generally slower and do less damage.  A BB can rarely avoid all of them, but can usually absorb one hit. In my Akat, I usually welcome CVs to (try to) torp me: I can avoid the torps by turning a tight circle, and if they're torping me, they're not torping my big, slow buddies. My DD can hide behind islands, which planes can't (can they?). So my answer would be, CV torps are more effective vs a good BB player, because you can usually get at least one hit. Against a not-so-good BB player, vessel torps are more effective because the BB won't dodge as well.

• Cool 1

[ICOP]
[ICOP]
Members
699 posts
11,646 battles

Though I have played CVs, I pretty much stopped playing them in 2016 when it was announced that they would be reworked in 2017. And I was never really good enough with CVs to even consider that here.

Surprisingly, when I looked at the stats in ships where I had a significant number of games played it was the Gallant that really stood out to me. Those single-fire torpedo tubes have been very effective for me. I have over four times as many games played in the Kamikaze, and there are other destroyers I have a little more fun playing, but Gallant is a more effective torpedo delivery system for me.

Gallant   Gallant  6 U.K. 181 62.98% 2 227 42 188 1.5

Weapons statistics:

Destroyed warships Hit Ratio  
Main Battery 104 49 % 5
Secondary battery 0 - 0
Torpedoes 135 9.45 % 4
Aircraft 0 - 0
By ramming 2 - 1

Respects,

Am

• Cool 1

[RN]
Beta Testers
254 posts
4,359 battles

For me, torpedo planes are the most effective way of guaranteeing a hit, though it takes a bit more skill to position the aircraft to get the maximum accuracy. Meanwhile, surface-launched torpedoes are much easier to dodge as enemies often intentionally or inadvertently change course upon knowing of the presence of a DD or a CL.

By the way, nice picture! IIRC, this was the carrier of Bush 41!

Sign in to follow this