Lord_Slayer

The Halloween Subs - What would be the 'Tree Equivalent'

10 comments in this topic

[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,286 battles

Each of the Halloween ships has a Tech Tree (or Premium) equivalent. Zikasa is Mikasa, Rasputin is Nikolai etc....

So based on the Halloween subs, what would their Tech tree equivalent be?

Based on the general shape/silhouette, I 'm assuming the following:

Seelowe = U-Boat Type XXI

Just the general shape, the 6 bow torps, and the guns fore and aft on the conning tower scream U-Boat to me.

Killer Whale = Gato/Balao-class.

Again the general lay out with the main deck gun and the 2 AA guns fore and aft of the Conning Tower.

This is where things become murky.

Gerfalcon =  U-Boat Type XXIII?

It looks like a U-Boat Type XXIII based on the silhouette. The Snorkel that pops up at periscope depth is kinda obvious. The only issue is it has more Torpedo tubes then a XXIII, and the aft firing torpedos.

Zipper = U-Boat Type VII?

Appears to be similar to the Type VII, forward mounted deck gun. But many subs had this general layout, so it could also be a British sub of some kind

Barracuda = ?

Not 100% sure. I thought it could possibly be a US Sub, but the guns and their placement scream 'turrets'. It could be a French sub.

I'm interested if anyone else has opinions on the 'base' design of the Halloween ships.

Edited by Lord_Slayer

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts
3,765 battles

Gerfalcon is a Type XXVI, Zipper is a soviet M-class(M-401, specifically), Barracuda is HMS X1.

[FOXEH]
Members
266 posts
4,331 battles

I thought the Barracuda was an S-boat (S-class submarine), under the assumption that the captains stuck to similar nations (Einstein previously sailed the Igor, based on the St. Louis)

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,571 posts
14,010 battles

When you see HMS X1, you can definitely say, "Yep, that's where Barracuda comes from."

Englantilainen_sukellusvene_X1.jpg

I thought at first that with the name being of a fish, which the USN liked to do with Subs during this era, I thought it was based on some obscure American submarine design.  But there's no USN sub like this.  There was a sub with 2 separate gun mounts, but they were single, exposed guns and not dual gun turrets on two deck locations like WoWS Barracuda / HMS X1.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles

SeeLowe is production model Type XXI

GerFalcon appears to be the Hydrogen-Peroxide powered early experimental  version of Type XXI hence the higher speed and lack of any guns including the AA guns.

Barracuda is HM Submarine X1

Killer Whale is Gato Class or perhaps the slightly later upgraded version of Gato called Balao Class. Pretty much the same appearance, but Balao had stronger reinforcements hull that had test depth of 450ft and crush depth of 900ft.

Zipper not entirely sure about exact ID on it, but so far it’s looking like it may be one of the IJN midget subs based on the design year listed on in game info, torp size, sub speed, number of torp tubs, and the fact it appears to be a smaller sub. But still looking for the exact type of it. Will be traceable design since having only 2 Torpedo tubes was not something that was all that common on subs. Often their had 4+ Torpedo tubes in total. Although Zipper may be a coastal defense sub for another nation as well.

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles
16 hours ago, Aetreus said:

Gerfalcon is a Type XXVI, Zipper is a soviet M-class(M-401, specifically), Barracuda is HMS X1.

Actually M-401 had 4 Torpedo tubes from what I saw of it, which means it can’r Be the Zipper since at least with all the other subs their Armaments were a match for their real world version. And the design dates onnin game info are helpful clue as to getting proper ID onnthe Zipper. But still proving elusive at moment since a ton of sub models to sift through to find a match.

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts
3,765 battles
23 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Actually M-401 had 4 Torpedo tubes from what I saw of it, which means it can’r Be the Zipper since at least with all the other subs their Armaments were a match for their real world version. And the design dates onnin game info are helpful clue as to getting proper ID onnthe Zipper. But still proving elusive at moment since a ton of sub models to sift through to find a match.

Only Series XV M-class subs have 4 tubes. M-401 is a series XII.

[RKLES]
Members
7,097 posts
8,745 battles
13 minutes ago, Aetreus said:

Only Series XV M-class subs have 4 tubes. M-401 is a series XII.

Oh guess I will have to dig deeper then, does the M-401 series XII feature the deck gun as well?

Alpha Tester
3,327 posts
3,765 battles
1 minute ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Oh guess I will have to dig deeper then, does the M-401 series XII feature the deck gun as well?

Yes, single 45mm gun.