TheURLGuy

Let’s Talk About "The Battles of Narvik"

Topic will be automatically locked at 10:12 AM

21 comments in this topic

[WGA]
WG Staff
103 posts
694 battles

The history of the first naval battle for the ice-free port of Narvik.

Read about the first one here!

Read about the second one here !

• Cool 2

[ARP3]
Members
354 posts
9,865 battles

The art is excellent , who was the artist? 

[DPG]
Members
107 posts
7,848 battles

I really appreciate the history lessons, thanks much for the work put into this series!. 

And Good Hunting! 

Kar

Beta Testers
68 posts
5,499 battles

What is particularly sad is that this battle nor the invasion of norway was ever needed if the RN HMS Cossack not violated international law and boarded the Altmark.

But consequently the garrisoning of Norway by germany tied up over 300,000 troops and vast amounts of resources that would have been far better served on the eastern front and on the atlantic wall.

Norway much like german occupation of channel islands was a huge waste of german resources for little to no military purpose.  So much so that many of these garrisoned areas never really saw combat to the tune they surrendered at wars end never having been seriously engaged.

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
759 posts
5,738 battles
27 minutes ago, totensburntcorpse said:

What is particularly sad is that this battle nor the invasion of norway was ever needed if the RN HMS Cossack not violated international law and boarded the Altmark.

But consequently the garrisoning of Norway by germany tied up over 300,000 troops and vast amounts of resources that would have been far better served on the eastern front and on the atlantic wall.

Norway much like german occupation of channel islands was a huge waste of german resources for little to no military purpose.  So much so that many of these garrisoned areas never really saw combat to the tune they surrendered at wars end never having been seriously engaged.

There are many decisions the military makes in wartime that seem strategic on the surface but in reality bear no actual fruit or benefit.

"There never is a convenient place to fight a war when the other person starts it." - Arleigh Burke, US Navy

#anchorsaweigh

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,435 posts
6,631 battles

This historical piece seems to have been more carefully written, and maybe proofed than some. Which is welcome. 

Can't wait for the the follow up, concerning the 2nd battle of Narvik, which would relate a more successful British raid which included Warpsite (and Cossack).

[WGA]
759 posts
5,738 battles
19 minutes ago, Dah_Bears268 said:

What do they mean "cable".

A "cable" in the article was an old measurement of nautical distance approximately 1/10th of a nautical mile and can be anywhere between 170 to 230 meters long.

The term refers to the length of a ship's anchor chain which varied in size according to each ship.

#anchorsaweigh

Beta Testers
68 posts
5,499 battles

cable is the wire rope or rope,,,, chain is chain  <--- is a newfie; ships rarely anchored in water deeper than half a cable; as this was normally then the entire spool of anchoring material.

WW2 altantic battles i read up on alot... lost both grandfathers in WW2 as they were both in NOFU.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
6,647 posts
9,957 battles
3 hours ago, totensburntcorpse said:

Oh, I thought it was particularly sad because it was not needed as Altmark should not have been transporting prisoners through neutral waters in violation of international law.

Whatever the local excuses or reasons the main German logic behind invading was to secure access to critical resources, while expanding bases for the German Navy. The British had been considering an invasion too, to try and cut off Germany from that strategic Iron Ore supply. With or without the Altmark Incident a conflict was pretty likely.

Although it is a shame that the peaceful neutrality of Norway was shattered, this battle and the follow up were steps on the road toward a needed victory, although the Allies lost Norway, the German Navy took heavy losses. 

Beta Testers
68 posts
5,499 battles

Transporting prisoners thru neutral waters isnt illegal, they did however conceal this fact from norweigans when they boarded for inspection.

The Altmark boarding was the reason WHY the germans invaded, future protection of year round iron ore was the end goal.   The Altmark boarding convinced the germans that the allies would NOT abide by international law and respect a neutral's sovereinty.  The british did consider invading both norway and sweden under the pretext of helping findland defend against russia.  ie once landed the troops were to double cross finland and seize norway and sweden.  Timing didnt work out as the disaster on the continent ( ie fall of france ) about to happen and chamberlain being still the weak and ineffective PM he was... well nothing was going to happen from the british side as france and england could not agree to defend a lemonade stand at that time.

http://www.naval-history.net/xDKWDa-NorwayR4.htm

[NORUN]
Members
4 posts
19,322 battles

(8). It is not intended that any Forces shall be landed in Norway until the Germans have violated Norwegian Territory, or there is clear evidence that they intend to do so. In addition to the above Forces a Striking Force should be available at Rosyth from P.M. 3rd to deal with any Seaborne expedition the Germans may send against Norway.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,109 posts
8,738 battles
On 11/2/2018 at 2:06 PM, Dah_Bears268 said:

What do they mean "cable".

On 11/2/2018 at 2:28 PM, Gneisenau013 said:

A "cable" in the article was an old measurement of nautical distance approximately 1/10th of a nautical mile and can be anywhere between 170 to 230 meters long.

The term refers to the length of a ship's anchor chain which varied in size according to each ship.

#anchorsaweigh

A nautical mile is 6000 feet so a cable was 600 feet

[HBR]
[HBR]
Alpha Tester
95 posts
6,000 battles

Wow that was an awesome read! Both articles were very interesting. The art included in the article was also spot on. Well done WG!!

[WGA]
759 posts
5,738 battles
13 minutes ago, Seal9 said:

Wow that was an awesome read! Both articles were very interesting. The art included in the article was also spot on. Well done WG!!

The art team has done a great job providing artwork and graphics assets for our portal content. 

Hats off to them and our content gurus for being thorough and informative while keep the Fleet engaged!

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
[WOLF9]
Members
158 posts
3,456 battles

I knew just enough about the battles to know I really knew very little!  I thought this was very well done and a great read.  Kudos for the artwork and map.  Can't wait for the next one.

Beta Testers
68 posts
5,499 battles

good read.   don't down play the swordfish launched from the warspite... that plane sank a sub, damaged a DD and provided valuable location intel on DDs as well as relaying torpedo tracks.  that plane did more itself then all the planes from the furious did during the same time frame.

[SHOOT]
Beta Testers
1,478 posts
8,034 battles

If only the Scharnhorst and her sister hadn't punked been punked out by Renown the outcomes of both battle would have been very different.

[NORUN]
Members
4 posts
19,322 battles

Some 30 years ago, I was in Narvik and stayed with friends for the summer; the old man witnessed the battle and told me all about it.

I have even been on he wreck of Z2 “I think it is” in Romsbaksfjord.

They had a summerhouse where the Eskimo was hit. There is a bridge there now over the fjord.

He told me a very strange story about a torpedo that hit the beach outside of their house without exploding!  Apparently, after the fight British sailors came ashore and disarmed it! He was very thankful for them doing this.

I did not have the heart to tell him that it probably was because they were after or protecting some secret or other and not just helping him.