You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Admiral_Thrawn_1

Some tips for the Terror From the Deep Scenerio

17 comments in this topic

[RKLES]
Members
7,076 posts
8,720 battles

Despite having 8km Torpedoes the subs really need to be about 5km or less from the target or chances are al your Torres will miss. So definately the closer the better.

If you are not detected by enemy ships travel on the surface to keep your oxygen bar charged up or else you might run out when you really need it. Once you get detected then you submerge down to periscope depth. Although the Zipper sub can travel at periscope depth most of the battle if you want to since it only needs to surface for  just brief moment to fill its oxygen bar and then submerging again. Rest of the subs though really need to travel on the surface when ever possible.

You don't need to hold the dive or surface keys, just tapping them is easier and more precise when controlling the sub. And one tap will take you to periscope depth and 2 taps will get you down nice and deep.

Friendly Fire is enabled unlike in other Scenerios, so watch your aim or you might end up being pink lol. But thankfully few updates ago Wargaming removed the ability to set fire or cause flooding to allied ships so that is helpful.

Catapults will only fire at you if spotted by enemy ships, so if no enemy ships are detecting you it is safe to travel on the surface.

Be sure to get the Black Castle spotted in time since not only does it stop Rasputin from healing, it also is worth a star.

Beware that surfaced or at Periscope Depth that Enemy Torpedoes can hurt you, you must dive deeper to avoid being hit by Torpedoes.

Also be careful when close to enemy ships since their behavior apparently can change from battle to battle and sometimes they get really aggressive and little smarter and will focus on you, try to ram you, or even on a battle I had use Hydro to detect you. Which any of those tricks can be dealt with by launching some Torps and diving deeper. Although Depth Charges can still reach you down there.

And finally don’t forget to enjoy the Operation and have fun :cap_like:

• Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles

Zipper is mis-named.  Gerfalcon is the fast boat.

Anyone have build advice for the sub Captains?

[NGA-B]
Members
1,187 posts
7,580 battles

If you are in a Gerfalcon, your torpedo arrangement makes you ideal for rushing. Your bows torps are "Freezing" torps and your rear-firing torps are normal. Ideally, you fire a freezer, go to periscope depth, fire a second if need be, move under the (frozen) ship and then blast him with your stern torps. It's great to ensure you have constant progress and find the castle.

• Bad 1

[SPTR]
Members
25,570 posts
10,788 battles

Thanks for tips, the friendly fire one is brand new one that comes as a suprise, im also looking for guides on each of the submarines.

[RKLES]
Members
7,076 posts
8,720 battles

If the subs have deck guns you add in BFT and AFT, otherwise all you need is PM, AR, LS, SE,  and TAE. Subs seem pretty easy for Captain skills.

There was some false info from Test Server saying Torpedo Armaments Expert had no affect onnthe subs, but it does now and Short torp reloads are quite nice.

[E-E]
Members
148 posts
2,828 battles

How to commander skill a Sub? Assume everything torpedo, but only two such skills.

Edit: Post above literally at the same time as mine.

Edited by EmeraldAcid

[-WPG-]
Members
719 posts
3,095 battles
5 minutes ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

If the subs have deck guns you add in BFT and AFT, otherwise all you need is PM, AR, LS, SE,  and TAE. Subs seem pretty easy for Captain skills.

There was some false info from Test Server saying Torpedo Armaments Expert had no affect onnthe subs, but it does now and Short torp reloads are quite nice.

Has anyone conformed TAE works? It was confirmed to not work on the PTS.

[RKLES]
Members
7,076 posts
8,720 battles
2 minutes ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Has anyone conformed TAE works? It was confirmed to not work on the PTS.

Yes tested it this morning by first clicking on it and seeing the stats change, then adding it and seeing Torpedo Reload time getting reduced by few seconds.

[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,270 battles

you should take note of your concealment range.

I would stay on the surface until just before being spotted before diving. Thus you have the maximum possible oxygen level in case your torpedo attacks dont go as well.

As the battle goes on, you have subs all over the place and the ships will turn to avoid torps. I found the best range to insure hits was about 3 to 4km.

While having a deck gun is great, it really doesn't do all that much. It's basically a secondary gun. I would say to forget about it for the most part.

Some ships recover oxygen faster then others. This means you can literally pop up for a short time in the midst of the enemy, then dive back down before anything actually hits you.

Pay attention to your mini-map and surroundings. As was said, torpedos can hit you while at periscope depth. Keep aware and dive deeper if needed. Also be aware of friendlies moving in front of you.

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,305 posts
11,393 battles

I heard that concealment expert doesn't work on subs.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,862 posts
2,191 battles

Fire Prevention seems a reasonable take.  And maybe Vigilance?  RL is intriguing.

I just took my Commanders up to 9 points uses (PM, LS, TAE, SE).  You don't really need any skills for the Terror of the Deep intro scenario.  I'll spend more as the harder scenarios indicate.

Edited by iDuckman

[ARGSY]
Members
5,682 posts
3,886 battles

I put radio location on some of my subs because I had points to spare and not much else (in my judgement) to spend them on. I do not find it useful; it treats the shore installations as valid targets, which is a problem when what you want it to track is the nearest enemy ship.

I would like to know exactly where to go in order to reveal the Black Lair Castle. I know it's underwater, but I feel the times it's been located and I have five-starred this op have been more luck than good planning on my part.

[SYN]
Members
504 posts
5,900 battles
On 11/1/2018 at 5:34 AM, Lord_Slayer said:

While having a deck gun is great, it really doesn't do all that much. It's basically a secondary gun. I would say to forget about it for the most part

If, like me, you have no decent BB, the scenario is 2 or 3 battles to get 75 secondary hits.

Members
469 posts
1,992 battles

Incoming fire alert is nice to have as well it allows you to stay surfaced as long as possible. I would recommend the torp speed booster for the zipper as well.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,884 posts
3,260 battles
On 11/1/2018 at 7:42 AM, dEsTurbed1 said:

I heard that concealment expert doesn't work on subs.

I took it because I saw nothing else useful to take on one of the submarines. And yeah, it's not useful at all. Drop of only .2km on surface detection, no change to periscope depth detection.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,884 posts
3,260 battles
Just now, Krupp_Sabot said:

Incoming fire alert is nice to have as well it allows you to stay surfaced as long as possible. I would recommend the torp speed booster for the zipper as well.

Oh yeah, that is nice to have. let's you know when a catapult or ballista launched at you, but that's about it.