You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Troa_Barton

Raising the Dead, Discontinued Ships

Raising the Dead, Discontinued Premium Ships  

266 members have voted

1. 1. Should discontinued ships be sold in the premium shop once a year?

• Yes, everyone should have access even if it's only once a year.
    • No, you'll shoot your eye out.
    • Not in the premium shop but as a chance in crates.
    • Middle ground, yes but only if they cannot be used in ranked.
  2. 2. When should they be sold / available?

• Halloween
    • Christmas
    • Other
    • Year round
    • Never

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closes on 11/30/2018 at 01:21 PM

86 comments in this topic

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
228 posts
7,409 battles

With this recent ranked sprint being a prime example some players have access to ships that can in certain situations give them an unfair advantage. In some cases because a ship is too strong in others purely because people don't have access to it. This makes ranked in tier VII a no go and sours the experience in events like ranked sprint.

Some of us are just ship collectors, telling us we can't have them leaves us with a sour taste.

Those of us that have them either see that many have had power creeped upon them or want them exclusively to ourselves.

Ships like the Nikolai, Belfast, Kutuzov, Missouri (made available again in game only with FXP), Gremmy, Giulio Cesare, ect.

Should these ships become available once a year? If so it seems only fitting for that time to be on Halloween, where the dead rise once again.

Personally the idea of never allowing the access of ships in principal has always bothered me. Even though I have many, well most of them I don't like this practice.

The main poll is multiple choice, click all that apply, I'm curious what others think.

P.S. Happy spooky day.

• Cool 8
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
2,380 posts
2,172 battles
2 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

Ships like the Nikolai, Belfast, Kutuzov, Missouri (made available again in game only with FXP), Gremmy, Giulio Cesare, ect.

Should these ships become available once a year? If so it seems only fitting for that time to be on Halloween, where the dead rise once again.

This is already kinda the case with the Santa Crates, and I think the occasional mega ship bundles?  

• Cool 3

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
228 posts
7,409 battles
3 minutes ago, Yoshiblue said:

This is already kinda the case with the Santa Crates, and I think the occasional mega ship bundles?  

Yeah and those are nice, but that's a chance to get them and I don't believe the mega bundles have them though I may be wrong. Ludicrously expensive in the case of the latter.

Edit: Not sure if the Santa crates include the Missouri.

Edited by Troa_Barton
  • Cool 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
14 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

With this recent ranked sprint being a prime example some players have access to ships that can in certain situations give them an unfair advantage. In some cases because a ship is too strong in others purely because people don't have access to it. This makes ranked in tier VII a no go and sours the experience in events like ranked sprint.

Some of us are just ship collectors, telling us we can't have them leaves us with a sour taste.

Those of us that have them either see that many have had power creeped upon them or want them exclusively to ourselves.

Personally the idea of never allowing the access of ships in principal has always bothered me. Even though I have many, well most of them I don't like this practice.

The main poll is multiple choice, click all that apply, I'm curious what others think.

P.S. Happy spooky day.

:Smile_great::Smile_medal::Smile_honoring:

9 minutes ago, Troa_Barton said:

Yeah and those are nice, but that's a chance to get them and I don't believe the mega bundles have them though I may be wrong. Ludicrously expensive in the case of the latter.

Edit: Not sure if the Santa crates include the Missouri.

:Smile_great::Smile_medal::Smile_honoring:

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[ARP3]
Members
355 posts
9,900 battles

Just deal with it, they aren't coming back, you waited too long on the fence and missed missouri, and kutuzov was available for years.

Belfast was available a very long time as well. It was the only ship with smoke, radar, hydro, etc and was clearly from day 1 the best

thing since sliced bread. 

The only oddities are Gremy and Nicolai, and Gremy was only notable for her huge stealth fire range, now that stealth is nerfed it's just a normal dd with a massive 36 second traverse time.

Blyskawica was considered op before stealth nerf, and now it's not even popular.

Nicolai only does 19 knots and it has a 35 second reload. It can be easily DD rushed with any of the new op dds from the pan-asian line. By the time you make it to the center of the map,

the game ends. The only thing it still has going for it is that it has crazy 2.0 sigma, Giulio Caesar is far more flexible and fun compared to Nicolai. Nicolai is a relic of the past and

has been surpassed even by the orion. 

As always the grass seems greener on the other side of the fence.

My recommendation: Get kronshtadt now, it's super OP, can citadel yamatos and montanas easily. You can rush north carolinas and kill them in a cruiser. It won't be around much longer.

• Cool 6
  • Boring 1

[YAN]
Members
1,636 posts
7,464 battles

I was going to comment yes as long as they wernt removed for being too powerful..

• Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
On 11/1/2018 at 3:07 AM, Cit_the_bed said:

Just deal with it, they aren't coming back, you waited too long on the fence and missed missouri, and kutuzov was available for years.

Belfast was available a very long time as well. It was the only ship with smoke, radar, hydro, etc and was clearly from day 1 the best

thing since sliced bread. 

The only oddities are Gremy and Nicolai, and Gremy was only notable for her huge stealth fire range, now that stealth is nerfed it's just a normal dd with a massive 36 second traverse time.

Blyskawica was considered op before stealth nerf, and now it's not even popular.

Nicolai only does 19 knots and it has a 35 second reload. It can be easily DD rushed with any of the new op dds from the pan-asian line. By the time you make it to the center of the map,

the game ends. The only thing it still has going for it is that it has crazy 2.0 sigma, Giulio Caesar is far more flexible and fun compared to Nicolai. Nicolai is a relic of the past and

has been surpassed even by the orion. 

As always the grass seems greener on the other side of the fence.

My recommendation: Get kronshtadt now, it's super OP, can citadel yamatos and montanas easily. You can rush north carolinas and kill them in a cruiser. It won't be around much longer.

If I wanted to drive a BB  I wouldn't go for a  BB  Light like Alaska,Kronstadt or Stalingrad  as a  matter of fact I have several BB's and they serve their purpose when mission or tasks demand that sort of ship,  A very firm NTY  to the wannabe BB's   for those who want them Fine but Not For Me

Edited by shadowsrmine
  • Bad 1

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,524 battles

These vessels are usually available in crates in the santa loot crates, and also as a random change in the super containers.

More recently in the Super Containers that you earned for the WG anniversary, someone posted a picture of winning a Belfast.

I myself obtained a Nikolai with the most recent santa crates.

There are changes to obtain them, but its not just a simple I want this ship buy. I am happy with that in a way as some of these ships were removed for obvious OP reasons.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
6 minutes ago, _greifer said:

These vessels are usually available in crates in the santa loot crates, and also as a random change in the super containers.

More recently in the Super Containers that you earned for the WG anniversary, someone posted a picture of winning a Belfast.

I myself obtained a Nikolai with the most recent santa crates.

There are changes to obtain them, but its not just a simple I want this ship buy. I am happy with that in a way as some of these ships were removed for obvious OP reasons.

Problem with this story is in the last year any and all chance of getting  a ship but Especially those ships to almost Nil Nada Zip  not Zero no but it's so close it might as well be Zero.   Just look at the Drop Rate of the RN ships out of that events and Great 8 containers regular and premium  

Edited by shadowsrmine

[PLPT]
Members
147 posts
8,412 battles

The mentioned ships are op (downright broken in the right hands) and removed for a reason. 

I'm fine with them in crates, as is, but not for sale.

• Cool 1
  • Boring 1

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
379 posts
3,318 battles

OP ships have been in Santa crates.  I got my Kutozov there.

Strong but not OP ships will cycle in and out of the Premium Shop.  I got my Julius Caesar there.

I think Santa crates is an excellent way to make them available.

• Cool 1

[MUDD]
Members
82 posts
860 battles

@Troa_Barton you give too much credit to the pixels and the data that make up any ship premium or otherwise! It is not the ship, it is the player and their skill in using whatever ship they have chosen! But yes there should be a year round random process that awards not just discontinued premium ships but rather any and all premium ships! Something such as You are the 1000s player to long on today BOOM you are awarded a Missouri or a Texas etc! in addition to the random seasonal crate awards! 

• Boring 1
  • Bad 1

Members
5,020 posts
2,946 battles

Ideally discontinued ships should never be sold. It's almost like there was a reason they were discontinued. They make the game not fun and unfair for everyone who has to play against them

• Cool 2
  • Funny 1
  • Boring 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles
5 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

and kutuzov was available for years.

Years in which some of us, believe it or not, HAD NOT ACTUALLY STARTED PLAYING THE GAME YET.

• Cool 9
  • Boring 3

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
17 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Years in which some of us, believe it or not, HAD NOT ACTUALLY STARTED PLAYING THE GAME YET.

Yup thats me:Smile_sad:Started just about this time last year right after my birthday

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles
4 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Yup thats me:Smile_sad:Started just about this time last year right after my birthday

I was in the game when they were still available (Belfast and Kutuzov both), but I was still FTP and feeling my way at that stage, and there was a huge culture of beating up on newbies who bought high-tier premium ships (and still is; it's one of the reasons I stupidly let the HSF Harekaze slip through my fingers).

[DANKY]
Members
426 posts
1,547 battles
6 hours ago, Troa_Barton said:

P.S. Happy spooky day.

This is a bad poll. First of all there’s no bacon. People should aways have a null option. More importantly you need two more options to represent things that WG MIGHT consider - limited time / special event rentals, or releases with tweaked stats to improve balance. Limited time sell to own simply won’t happen, full stop. You might as well poll about giving everyone a free Kitikami with 20km torpedoes. 

[O_O]
Members
778 posts
4,726 battles

I'm going to agree with the "shouldn't be sold" crowd here.  A very small, random chance to pick one up in a container is fine, though.  It's important to keep these ships out in the wild as people who own them play less frequently, but it's even more important to keep them from overwhelming matches.

Everything should be periodically re-evaluated though.  As the meta changes and a ship which previously profited disproportionately from a newly-changed mechanic is no longer showing itself as particularly over-performing, there's no reason to keep it out of the shop.  Except, of course, Iwaki and Arkansas, as much as the completionist in me hates to admit it.  I probably wasn't ever going to get Iwaki, but I was pretty darn close to qualifying for Arkansas back in the day.

Sadface.

-R

[ARGSY]
Members
5,722 posts
3,894 battles

Speaking of discontinued ships and the HSF Harekaze, @LittleWhiteMouse, do you know if the expiry of the licence agreement merely prohibits sale, or are WG not even allowed to offer it in a supercontainer/crate anymore?

Things like this need to go on a countdown timer in their final week or two.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
18 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I was in the game when they were still available (Belfast and Kutuzov both), but I was still FTP and feeling my way at that stage, and there was a huge culture of beating up on newbies who bought high-tier premium ships (and still is; it's one of the reasons I stupidly let the HSF Harekaze slip through my fingers).

One of the FewDidn't Miss Out On:Smile_amazed:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,932 posts
16 minutes ago, Mister_Rawr said:

I'm going to agree with the "shouldn't be sold" crowd here.  A very small, random chance to pick one up in a container is fine, though.  It's important to keep these ships out in the wild as people who own them play less frequently, but it's even more important to keep them from overwhelming matches.

Everything should be periodically re-evaluated though.  As the meta changes and a ship which previously profited disproportionately from a newly-changed mechanic is no longer showing itself as particularly over-performing, there's no reason to keep it out of the shop.  Except, of course, Iwaki and Arkansas, as much as the completionist in me hates to admit it.  I probably wasn't ever going to get Iwaki, but I was pretty darn close to qualifying for Arkansas back in the day.

Sadface.

-R

There's a Lot of those that qualify for that status

Members
150 posts
6 hours ago, Cit_the_bed said:

Some of us entered the game after those ships were already removed. 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
415 posts
3,620 battles

If people think certain ships are so OP that they should not be made available again then maybe those certain ships should not be allowed in Random and Ranked and Clan Battles.

I have to admit I was pretty annoyed facing off against multiple Kamikazes/Fujins in Ranked when the best ship on my team was a Nicholas or a Minekaze.

If no one should be allowed to get the Kamikaze, why is it allowed into a competitive battle where every little advantage makes a big difference in?

I understand that people earned those ships (or payed real money for them) so certainly you should keep them and get to use them. But if they are so unfair that no one new is allowed to get them, then they should be limited to Co-op and Scenario where the bots you are clubbing with them are just bots.

In a competitive setting, it's pretty frustrating when people are winning not because of skill or training but because of better equipment. Because they've just been around longer.

• Cool 4
  • Bad 1