You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
RagingxMarmoset

What is the ideal engagement range for Musashi?

11 comments in this topic

[BNKR]
Members
644 posts
659 battles

I picked up Musashi tonight and have fitted her with a survivability build. The range on the guns is phenomenal, but I also know she's not as accurate as Yamato. What ranges have you found that strike the correct balance between reasonable chance for hits and avoiding being burned down? 

• Cool 1

[WOLFB]
Members
1,649 posts
8,027 battles

Between 10km and 16km is usually the sweet spot for BB. Below 10km you need be start thinking about sinking him fast (especially if it's a torpedo ship) and beyond 16km, only distracted target will take your shot. 

But just sail with your team and you should be fine. Find some cover to hide your side and you should be fine

Members
133 posts
15,510 battles

The absolute ideal range is always your surface concealment, which is at 13.5km

However, more realistically, Musashi should engage anywhere from 16km to 20km.

[CHMC]
[CHMC]
Members
228 posts
7,409 battles

At the back of the map, humping the map border, backwards.

Kidding.. As close as you can get while being able to go back into concealment or escape to cover if you need to. That's a variable number depending on where the ships you cant see are, if there is a CV, and what types / locations of cover are available.

Members
3,629 posts
13,443 battles

I have Musashi and IMHO, the best range is any range out to max range. You aint gonna hit it if you don't shoot at it.

• Cool 1

[ARP]
Supertester
89 posts
9,932 battles

same as the yamato, ideally within 12-16 km, where you have the ability to disengage as needed, but don't find yourself having issues with the dispersion. You can sit up to 18km away and still be mildly effective, but that's if you're good at aiming at targets from afar.

[STW-D]
Members
1,853 posts
5,651 battles

IJN BBs thrive on long-range gunfights (don't take that to mean sniping from the map border, however).

Ideal range is probably around 10-16 km, as any closer and you risk the enemy outflanking you and getting several shots in on your "cheek" citadel. You can, of course, still attack from farther or closer, but after 17 km or so, landing shots can become questionable,  too close and most other BBs (and even some cruisers) will rip you to shreds with either torpedoes and/or gunfire (you don't exactly have good secondaries, unlike Yamato).

[INTEL]
Members
746 posts
7,855 battles
1 hour ago, ReddNekk said:

I have Musashi and IMHO, the best range is any range out to max range. You aint gonna hit it if you don't shoot at it.

This^^^^

If it's in range Musashi can hit and seriously hurt it. Musashi has worse dispersion than Yamato but that works in her favor at range. I often get hits when my aim isnt perfect because of it. Especially at long range.

Perfect engagement range is really as close as you can get without being flanked.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,574 posts
14,010 battles

12-16km.

You should be able to have good chances of hitting, most especially if someone is 15km or less.

I say 12km for a minimum as a reasonable buffer from typical torpedo ranges.

While this is ideal, don't be afraid to take some long range salvos.  You may be surprised with what IJN 460mm AP does to ships at range, even other Battleships.

• Cool 1

[SRBL]
Members
79 posts
3 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

While this is ideal, don't be afraid to take some long range salvos.  You may be surprised with what IJN 460mm AP does to ships at range, even other Battleships.

Agreed. If there are straight-lining CAs or BBs at range I launch a spotter and pick up some quick damage. I used to get surprised when I'd 2 cit a ship 20km and out but not anymore.