Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
JohnPaul_Jones

Submarine Feedback (including Killer Whale)

5 comments in this topic

[TBB]
Beta Testers
212 posts
2,509 battles

Are they fun? Well, I spent the day grinding and unlocking the Killer Whale, so yes, they were quite fun. Here are the thoughts of a random player after the full grind to the Killer Whale.

Negatives:

• Survivability on some ships feel that it will come down to luck, period. Others seem they are invulnerable. Based mostly on the time it takes to re-load air at a bad time. In the scenario it was not to bad, but it was easy to imagine a scenario that a forced surface at a bad time could mean auto death with no player skill able to out play your opponent at that time. The opposite being something like the Zipper which can nearly stay below the surface the majority of the game if you wish and only needs to breath on the surface for a moment or two before diving with full air, leaving the enemy in a similar no win scenario.
  • Different torp types (freezing) seems very OP to me. I am guessing this is a scenario only thing. I would hate to see it in game due to many reasons, but the largest being how overpowered it is to CC your opponent and then freely able to wreak them.
  • Would like a way to set keybinding of dive and surface keys. I am sure this would be included if ever sent to regular game modes. 
  • Capt Skills as they are don't feel natural and I found myself just dumping points in low skills that made SOME sort of sense. I am sure this will be dealt with if ever put in main game modes. 

Pros:

• Gameplay is VERY fun IMOP and it feels awesome to have a new playstyle in the game
  • Love the autoloader ideas of the subs and the balance of power between the torps accordingly 
  • Love the noticeable playstyle differences between all of the ships tested. They are all fun in their own ways and play remarkably different.

Thoughts on ships: ( I know its just Halloween, but my guess is the differences between them are a mirror of what they are thinking for full game mode. ) Spoiler--- I loved them all!

• Zipper - Not the fastest and only has two torps but those torps hit HARD and reload in an acceptable time frame. It also has very low detectability numbers. The hands down thing that makes this sub awesome however is how it can surface for 1 or 2 seconds and get back down making it IMOP the most survivable sub of the lot. It can pretty much be submerged 99% of the match if you wish. That is so overpowered, it is no wonder it only has two single torp launchers.
  • Gerfalcon -- The sportster of the group, use it's speed and good detectability for intel and hitting stragglers. Having more torp launchers in the rear vs front, along with it's speed, make it easy to figure out the playstyle as a brutal BB killer. Go in close with your detectability, dump all your forward torps into them, dive below them and then finish them off once you pass under them. Nothing can really survive that. 
  • Seelowe -- Complete assassin with 6 Torps available forward in a single volley and decent reload. This one feels like what you would expect a sub to feel like in WoWS but even though not overly thought provoking, it is really fun to play and a powerhouse. 
  • Barracuda -- If the Seelowe feels how you would expect a sub in WoWS to feel, the Barracuda is the Ying to it's Yang. It feels "heavier" and has the worst concealment of them all and has decent torps loadouts but the real stand out is it's awesome secondary's! Yes, Secondary's that are good on a sub. Who knew?! These things rip apart low HP ships left alive after a torp volley and reloading phase. They set fires very easily also. You still can't stay on the surface forever, but popping up at the right moments yield excellent results. Many of the highest damage matches I had were with the Barracuda. Not hard to see why when you consider no other sub in the group has another weapon system that is dependable. 
  • Killer Whale -- It is somewhere between the Barracuda and Seelowe with maneuverability and detectability but you might as well have a Seelowe mounted front AND rear! This thing is a total O.P. BEAST! First two games were 500k+, the last was nearly a single handed 5 star in which I found myself alone in the top half of the map at the end with the other two last subs on my team far to the south still mopping up. It is just so much fire power that nothing else comes close. After all the practice with the grind to get it, it also ends up in a skilled captain by the time you unlock it, so it will likely carry every match it is entered in. Not sure what to think about it because to say it is totally OP may be overstating a fact because in a random it will have to deal with much more deadly enemies. 
  • Cool 4

[PQUOD]
Members
203 posts
6,044 battles
1 hour ago, JohnPaul_Jones said:

• Killer Whale -- It is somewhere between the Barracuda and Seelowe with maneuverability and detectability but you might as well have a Seelowe mounted front AND rear! This thing is a total O.P. BEAST! First two games were 500k+, the last was nearly a single handed 5 star in which I found myself alone in the top half of the map at the end with the other two last subs on my team far to the south still mopping up. It is just so much fire power that nothing else comes close. After all the practice with the grind to get it, it also ends up in a skilled captain by the time you unlock it, so it will likely carry every match it is entered in. Not sure what to think about it because to say it is totally OP may be overstating a fact because in a random it will have to deal with much more deadly enemies.   

Thanks for the opinion on the Killer Whale. I had to stop playing today to go make the real doubloons lol. Look forward to unlocking it. I was currious if while selecting a sub in port if you could select the Tech Tree and it put you in the nation it may belong to in game. However they all by default I suppose, went to the IJN Tech tree. May have to do some research into the WW2 submarine lines to get a idea what to look for in the future. I've only got to see one real WW2 submarine. The USS Drum in Mobile, AL at the USS Alabama battleship museum park.

[FAST]
[FAST]
Members
71 posts

I got the Killer Whale and played one game it. I love it!!! Definitely a sub that can carry. I thought it had a better acceleration than the other subs. 

[TBB]
Beta Testers
212 posts
2,509 battles

After playing more missions with it, I am not sure about acceleration, but it sure does have a great turning radius. At speed it can turn on a dime and likely is a big part of how this thing comes off as lethal as it does combined with its fire power. 

[ARS]
Beta Testers
2,167 posts
1,654 battles

They don't feel like submarines.

The frantic .66-1.5 minute surface and dive cycle feels terrible and nothing like a WWII or even WWI submarine.

Sign in to follow this