You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Markk9

Match making and Captain skill

20 comments in this topic

[13CLM]
Members
202 posts
1,107 battles

Does the MM take into account Captain skills? Would there be a difference starting at T1 with 0P Cpt, vs 10P Cpt, vs 19P Capt?

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
3,305 posts
11,393 battles
17 minutes ago, DrHolmes52 said:

As far as I know, it is ship type and tier.

No captains points.

We really know the secret algorithm matches you with the worst team 80% of the time...

You just have to overcome the challenge...

Seriously,  most skill players are mostly split between the teams. Divisions throws a monkey wrench into the MM...

And does not consider if your ship has a 1pt captain or a 19 point captain.

• Cool 1

[ARSE]
[ARSE]
Members
9 posts
3,577 battles

There should really be a weight given to things like Captain skills, Camo (yes/no), Modules, upgrades, signals possibly even PR and not just based on ship tier.

• Bad 2

[O_O]
Members
662 posts
6,038 battles

lol...capt skills not a factor...UNLESS......

unless there is a capt skill added...."UR" = "Ultimate Rage" ....when activated...the Capt "Hulks" out and starts jumping from ship to ship and punching holes in them...:Smile_teethhappy:

then you WG might consider Capt skills a factor....

Image result for hulk smash

[CSALT]
Members
137 posts

I recall reading somewhere that MM considers persistent stats/history in the algorithm.  Basically the longer/more you play a ship, the more likely/more frequently you'll be bottom tier.  No idea if it is true or not, but there you have it.

[BIAS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
32 posts
4,041 battles
2 hours ago, BC_Wolfen said:

There should really be a weight given to things like Captain skills, Camo (yes/no), Modules, upgrades, signals possibly even PR and not just based on ship tier.

lmbo no, never.

[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,292 battles

Matchmaking doesn't take into account captain skills or lack thereof, player skill (winrate etc), ship upgrades, ship type, or even ship tier. In fact, I don't know what it *does* take into account. 

[CSALT]
Members
137 posts
4 minutes ago, 44_percenter said:

Matchmaking doesn't take into account captain skills or lack thereof, player skill (winrate etc), ship upgrades, ship type, or even ship tier. In fact, I don't know what it *does* take into account. 

Out of curiosity, how do you know it doesn't take any of that into account if you don't know what it does consider?

[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,292 battles

you, uh, didn't get it. I was insinuating that matchmaking doesn't take anything into consideration. having played several battles in different tier ships, I can tell you that matchmaking is miserable. I don't play the iowa any more because there is always more than half tier 10 ships and they autobounce the best naval artillery ever built. my captains are all low, I need a 19 point on a high tier ship to grind xp for all of them. plus or minus a tier (two tier spread) means low tier ships are gonna get sunk quick and shooting back is suicide. matchmaking does get equal numbers of ship types at least, for example, in ranked there will be 3 dd's and 3 bb's on both sides. and if one side gets a cv, other side gets one. as a bb, I do not want to see 3 dd's on the other team and no cruisers in the battle. fixing matchmaking would be one step closer to me spending a penny on this game.

[ARSE]
[ARSE]
Members
9 posts
3,577 battles
On 10/31/2018 at 9:16 PM, _Prometh3us said:

lmbo no, never.

Care to elaborate. How is matchmaking fair if its only based on ship tier? If one side has all T15-19 commanders, fully moduled & camo'd ships with signals and players with high PR's and the other has a bunch of newerish players, with T5-10 commanders, no camo, no signals, missing modules. That's a completely unbalanced match. 

[PVE]
Members
8,782 posts
7,225 battles

As far as I know, MM is based on ship tier and type. Where possible type and tier are exactly the same for both sides or as close as possible.

[NBB]
Members
484 posts
2,292 battles

yeh well I have a 16 point captain somewhere. I also have a t10 ship with a 6 point captain. the ships I play are upgraded to the max. if all the captain xp I ever got was all on one captain, he'd be a 19 point captain. such is not the case. also i'm chain starting battles while on the forums, and my team is wondering why I suicide. 

[DURPX]
Members
4 posts
4,950 battles

I don't know...it really is random in random battles, anyway. You could have a league with all the same ships and captains, and the variety of players would still make it seem not fair sometimes.

I play mostly T5, and enjoy the challenge of being low tier. I think maybe I do better when I am low-tier because it makes me play my ship properly.

MM is just fine at the lower tiers. At higher tiers, I imagine radar imbalance is the biggest gripe?

And don't you just love it when you find yourself on a random team that syncs so sweetly? Remember those, too.

Arrrooooo

[-WPG-]
Members
719 posts
3,095 battles

Captain skills don't provide buffs significant enough to warrant separate matchmaking. IFHE is probably the biggest one,  but you should have a 10 pointer by tier 6 or 7 anyway, and it doesn't provide much advantage before then.  CE is useful, but only when you're trying to set up or disengage.  Nothing gives a decided advantage. A more skilled player will consistently outplay the average player regardless of captain points.

Members
3,403 posts
6,062 battles
On 11/1/2018 at 1:05 AM, 44_percenter said:

was insinuating that matchmaking doesn't take anything into consideration.

In correct as noted in many. many, many threads on MM in the past and in this current thread.

[KMK]
Members
39 posts
6,116 battles

Are there any witches?
I do not know!! What does WG do with its algorithms? I do not know...
I only know that I had a WR of 57% with my Bismarck and my Chapayev until I get to have captains of 19 points in them.
Today my WR is 50% on those ships ...
Are there any witches? :cap_hmm: