You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Watertight Wednesday - Terror of the Deep

24 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
787 posts
5,771 battles

File:Bundesarchiv Bild 146-2008-0212, Uboot Hecht (S 171, ex U 2367).jpg

*pictured - Bundesmarine submarine U-Hecht (former Type XXIII - U-2367) returning to Kiel, Germany after patrolling the North Sea in May 1963*

How goes the mission "Terror of the Deep" and your shakedown cruise of submarines?

In the new Halloween scenario, Rasputin returns with her fleet of evil-bringing ships.

Standing in her way is a wolf-pack of brave submarine skippers and their courageous crews armed with lethal torpedoes.

"Terror of the Deep", are your torpedoes finding their mark or are you being terrorized while diving deep?

"We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#watertightwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

[ARGSY]
Members
5,768 posts
3,925 battles
7 minutes ago, enderland07 said:

The op is really easy.

I also find it pretty boring as far as operations go.

Likely because of the completely new vessels they are introducing, with novel methods of control and weapon use.

I could do with both easy and boring at the moment. Most of us trying for the Cossack just want to grab our seven stars so we can get on with the various XP and money grinds, which are quite frankly getting beyond a joke. 

• Cool 2

[KNTAI]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,106 posts

I'll share two screenshots I liked here too

IObTPTX.png

PIZYkAS.png

All in all I'm loving it. If I wasn't too busy doing battle, I'd just sail under the waves for a while.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,768 posts
3,925 battles
4 minutes ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

I'll share two screenshots I liked here too

So is that what a Zikasa looks like under the waterline?

Eurgh. Try not to think too hard about the possible fates of the crew. Although if you ever wanted to make a "World of Warships" movie, the Halloween event offers a good storyline to build on, with fully fleshed (and some rather horrific not-so-fully-fleshed) characters all ready to go. DO IT, WARGAMING!!! DO IT NOW!!!!

(My wife was VERY impressed with the production values for the song-and-dance video; she half-wondered why WG doesn't go into the movie business.)

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts

le9wEoE.png

Got one of a torpedo passing overhead. Didn't really notice the special detailing on the halloween torps till now.

And a DD sinking from below:

K2yMQUG.png

And last one... BB listing as she falls into the depths of davy jones' locker

vrCsbnY.png

1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

It's really a whole new world down there. Also pretty cool to see rudders moving and propellers churning away as you slip under them.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,768 posts
3,925 battles
1 hour ago, Carrier_Ikoma said:

It's really a whole new world down there.

I took the time to play it in last patch's PTS, because I just had to at least once, but I spent most of my time close to the surface trying to kill stuff.

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
1 minute ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I took the time to play it in last patch's PTS, because I just had to at least once, but I spent most of my time close to the surface trying to kill stuff.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me. But while I'm waiting for my boat to turn or torpedoes to reload... tap c and f to stay just below periscope depth. Then you get all the pretty views until you're ready to attack again.

• Cool 1

[KNTAI]
2,106 posts
3 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Got 2 of the Leviathan you might like. First one is pretty dark so you'll probably to go full screen to see it, even then it's hard... (edit: increased the contrast a bit to help)

3djMLNL.png

KoMSIhd.png

• Cool 1

[PQUOD]
Members
191 posts
5,993 battles
8 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

File:Bundesarchiv Bild 146-2008-0212, Uboot Hecht (S 171, ex U 2367).jpg

*pictured - Bundesmarine submarine U-Hecht (former Type XXIII - U-2367) returning to Kiel, Germany after patrolling the North Sea in May 1963*

How goes the mission "Terror of the Deep" and your shakedown cruise of submarines?

In the new Halloween scenario, Rasputin returns with her fleet of evil-bringing ships.

Standing in her way is a wolf-pack of brave submarine skippers and their courageous crews armed with lethal torpedoes.

"Terror of the Deep", are your torpedoes finding their mark or are you being terrorized while diving deep?

"We shall never forget that it was our submarines that held the lines against the enemy while our fleets replaced losses and repaired wounds." - Chester Nimitz, US Navy

#watertightwednesday

#anchorsaweigh

Love them. Can't wait for subs to be introduced to regular play.

• Cool 2

Beta Testers
152 posts
3,647 battles

I'm finding the subs are easier to use than in the Public Test. I'm more than ready to start having some submarine trees in open play, or in the very least giving us some fair ASW-vs-Submarines play.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
Members
7,101 posts
8,751 battles
12 hours ago, enderland07 said:

The op is really easy.

I also find it pretty boring as far as operations go.

Try it a gain a few times, the bots change up tactics sometimes, just had what seemed like more of them appear, s lot more agressive, and one of them had me lit up on Hydro!? Lol that was fun!

• Cool 1

[TBB]
Beta Testers
212 posts
2,509 battles

The Op is easy compared to others, yes. It is still fun however to me. Maybe it is the new mechanics with the subs, but I have done this op more times than ALL the other ops combined. I had the Killer Whale hours ago. LOL In the past I just did enough Ops to 5 star and just ignored it after that. I honestly wish they would make it more rewarding to do Ops more often. 

• Cool 1

[T-R-F]
Members
289 posts
12,236 battles

played a few rounds and my opinion has not changed. this is not a good idea. Oxyen..thought that should be battery time is too short and force to surface at a bad time and  put in historic speeds this will be really bad.

• Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
5,311 posts
17,764 battles

The OP is ok, not particularly  fun or interesting. After getting five stars, it will have no replay value for me. The subs look cool but they are not anything I want to play and find the twitchy aiming reticle a bit of a PITA. I do not care one way or the other if subs make it into the game and this scenario hasn't changed my indifferent attitude towards them. IMHO a lot of effort went into producing something that is kind of boring. I found myself more interested in looking at the stuff swimming around underneath the water than paying attention to the mission.

• Cool 2

[TF16B]
Members
8,055 posts
16,992 battles
7 hours ago, Norsehound said:

I'm finding the subs are easier to use than in the Public Test. I'm more than ready to start having some submarine trees in open play, or in the very least giving us some fair ASW-vs-Submarines play.

You have got to be kidding.

Aiming is just as impossible as the carrier rework test; torpedo cone won't settle down and swings back and forth wildly, making it impossible to steady it up long enough to aim.

17 hours ago, Gneisenau013 said:

Same as the carrier rework test; no fun whatsoever.

Controls too sensitive; underwater time too short to be useful; detection ranges too high.

• Cool 2

[ARGSY]
Members
5,768 posts
3,925 battles

Four tries last night, and it was either a feast or a famine. Five-starred it in my first trip out (zipper sub), then two dead losses and finally one win snatched from the jaws of defeat (for four stars) where I was the last one alive, reversing fast and spitting torps at the Rasputin as fast as I could reload.

Having to get those stars for the Royal Navy missions to make the night's tasks go faster takes a lot of the fun out of this.

The aiming reticle is EXTREMELY twitchy and needs fixing; it swings around too wildly. I think I missed a lot of shots because of this.

The Gerfalcon's multidirectional torpedo tubes are something that requires a LOT of practice, not something you want to try to learn on the job. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
Members
1,963 posts
6,553 battles
9 hours ago, Admiral_Thrawn_1 said:

Try it a gain a few times, the bots change up tactics sometimes, just had what seemed like more of them appear, s lot more agressive, and one of them had me lit up on Hydro!? Lol that was fun!

As someone who loves operations and has probably run them thousands of times in total, this feels like it has really low replay value to me.

I'm kind of hoping hard mode will feel hard. Now, the hardest part is not winning too fast until all the secondary objectives are accomplished (none of which are hard). Pretty much every game I haven't 5 starred has been because people killed Rasputin before ships had a chance to scout all the catapults or the castle.

• Cool 1

Beta Testers
373 posts
3,482 battles

The Operation is interesting with the new mechanic and a new parameter you need to keep track of.

Of the 4 games I played, 2 5-star and 2 4-Star runs.

Being able to look around under water was interesting and watching a ship sink below the surface was a nice touch.

It would be nice if WG developed the idea further of using subs, but maybe keep them for Operations only as they appear anyway to be easy to balance against the AI than against a team full of players.

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
693 posts

Honestly, a "pass" for me....  Not at all interested in Subs...  Our division has real sub jocks and they weren't on DC last night:  we're playing less now than before and several have left the game......sigh.

I can't wait till we're done with the "ultra FPS arcade" scenarios and get back to historically oriented scenario battles.

If you want to experiment, build a 1960's scenario with ships of that era on an open water map and give us the weapons of that era to fight at OTH distances....  Then, you'll see if an era expansion to match the current radar gimmick will work.  Those of us that grew up playing all of the Harpoon or Harpoon style games can't wait !!!

The only thing that terrifies me is the endless gimmicks to appeal to the younger players of this game: amine, space and now arcade FPS Halloween silliness.   Sorry, it how I feel.

• Cool 1

[FOXEH]
Members
3,321 posts
11,843 battles

I am okay with subs for Halloween events. They fit the mood somewhat. The subsurface graphics are a nice touch. The aiming is too sensitive. Since this is fantasy, real world mechanics don't really apply, BUT, sub speed is crazy, detection (both of subs and ships) is a bit wonky, and countermeasures are really unknown. I realize the catapult bombs were depth charges but I couldn't get a grasp on what they really do. Of course I tried to avoid them...

They are fun for Halloween but not too keen on having them in game. I'd be happy if you dropped subs and even CVs.

Edited by Khafni
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
152 posts
3,647 battles

I'm only disappointed that we don't have true sub-vs-player interactions necessary for a true test of this model. I guess they did what they could within this scope, but it really needs players vs players to dispel a lot of the myths players are having with submarines and truly prove the concept.

I think people would find Submarines are not as overpowered or foreign to the game as you'd expect.

• Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,695 posts
3,459 battles

Usually torps don't bother me too much. You can predict the general area they'll come from and avoid them, or most of them.

The biggest problem is playing a Cruiser and being hit be one, as it cripples you HP wise more than other ships.

Ships that cannot mount Hydro suffer much more because they get hit far more often. Part if the reason the USN CL line does better in literally every catagory over the CA line is because the CA line doesn't get to use hydro, so they pay a higher price more often. Even if they don't die they have to play much more passively after.

• Cool 1