You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
Gneisenau013

Public Test 0.7.11 - Feedback

56 comments in this topic

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
792 posts
5,786 battles

Ahoy Public Testers!

Please provide feedback on the following items on this session of Public Test session 0.7.11 - Round 1!

• Royal Navy and British Collection
  • Twilight Battle
  • Ranked Battles
  • Changes to Damage Mechanics
  • Thunderstorm Front
  • Map and Operation/Scenario Changes

If you have any reports of bugs or strange happenings, please report them here.

[SSN]
Members
233 posts
10,580 battles

So, what the purpose of Twilight Battles?   Haven't' yet been on a team that understood what the mission is. I'm soo lost it isnt funny.  I dont see any capture points or bases for that matter.. All i get is some creepy voice and all my consumables are locked. It took a battle or two to actually realize - what a minute - those aren't bots.   well back to the live server.. I'll wait for a youtube post before going back to PTS. I'm sooo very lost wrt this mode.

[WOLF5]
Members
439 posts
18,270 battles

Couple of things:

1) The mission to earn 10 type-6 Camo's requires winning 2 battles in operations. Unfortunately, since we are only given T-VIII ships, there's only one operation (Cherry Blossom) that's possible to complete. Therefore you either have to wait for it to come up in the rotation of the 9 ops or try to get enough people on a sparse server that has language barriers. I'd suggest either making Cherry Blossom the only Op in the rotation or giving players the T-VI and T-VII ships that are necessary to play all of the ops.

2) The mission to win 10 battles in Twilight Battle gives you Rasputin BUT since the heading "Reward on Main Account #5" means that you will earn the ship on both the PTS AND the live server. The news article states it's only for the PTS, but we have been told repeatedly that it's what's on the PTS that counts - clarification would be nice. 

Members
40 posts
8,768 battles

I'm having stability problems with the server. It keeps booting me from games? Anyone else experiencing this?

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts

The changes to make torpedo bulges easy-damage areas, etc, are noticeable in a very negative way. 

It is now possible against many ships to simply spam HE against center of mass and farm damage without regard to any selectivity of target location, and cruisers that relied on their ability to resist shot spam and angle-tank larger guns are now noticeably softer.

This sort of change will make the games MORE stagnant, and SLOWER, and make players more timid and cautious, and increase the dominance of the vision meta in all the wrong ways.

Edited by KilljoyCutter
  • Cool 2
  • Boring 1

[TF-62]
Members
105 posts
5,327 battles

What is quickly apparent is that the changes to damage mechanics with respect to torpedo bulges and secondary armament has not been thought through and is an unmitigated disaster. The "problem" as its been presented is getting a penetration ribbon and doing zero damage. Of course just fixing the ribbon would have been too easy. But instead what we have here is a wholescale and massive nerf to a large collection of ships. Some ships are completely untouched but others with internal armor belts are seeing the damage they take increase significantly. There have been no corresponding buffs to these ships to rebalance them which is incredible.

What's happening is exactly what was predicted by all the CC's so I find it troubling that this change made it to PT as it indicates that its been tested and found to work as intended. Which tells me that WG wants to apply a large scale nerf to all the affected ships. 

Several of the affected ships are premiums (Like the US SD twins) and the Maime will be especially hit hard because the rate at which she takes damage in a brawl is going to go up dramatically. WG will defend this as not being a ship nerf but a mechanics change (Just like they did with the smoke changes that hit some of the premiums hard) but the fact is that this is a massive nerf for those ships. 

Pull this change and forget about it WG. If you feel the NEED to do something than fix the bloody ribbons instead of screwing up the game for no good reason.

• Cool 2

[TF-62]
Members
105 posts
5,327 battles

I've noticed something else regarding this change. In the training room with the Mahan shooting at a Colorado and a New Mexico. Shooting AP at the belt through the bulge delt guaranteed damage every time. Shooting HE it would often shatter or even when it penned it seemed that damage saturation had kicked in so zero damage. Shooting AP at the same spot you could take 100% of her health off by just hitting the bulge over and over and over again in the exact same spot. Remember this is US destroyer AP against a BB belt. A belt that it will never ever be able to penetrate. And yet you can take 100% of a BB's health by shooting AP into the same spot over and over and over and over again. Now that may not be a realistic battle scenario but clearly its a very broken mechanic. 

Of course try the same thing against a BB with an external armor belt and nothing happens at all. 

• Cool 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts
8 minutes ago, Ski206 said:

I've noticed something else regarding this change. In the training room with the Mahan shooting at a Colorado and a New Mexico. Shooting AP at the belt through the bulge delt guaranteed damage every time. Shooting HE it would often shatter or even when it penned it seemed that damage saturation had kicked in so zero damage. Shooting AP at the same spot you could take 100% of her health off by just hitting the bulge over and over and over again in the exact same spot. Remember this is US destroyer AP against a BB belt. A belt that it will never ever be able to penetrate. And yet you can take 100% of a BB's health by shooting AP into the same spot over and over and over and over again. Now that may not be a realistic battle scenario but clearly its a very broken mechanic. 

Of course try the same thing against a BB with an external armor belt and nothing happens at all. 

Good testing.

To confirm -- you're using AP rounds from a destroyer, and causing full damage, without limit, simply by hitting the visible torpedo bulge on a battleship?

This would match with my in-battle experience with various ships in PTS. 

• Cool 1

Alpha Tester
3,334 posts
3,779 battles
1 hour ago, Ski206 said:

Now shoot his upper belt.

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,167 posts
8,785 battles
18 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

The changes to make torpedo bulges easy-damage areas, etc, are noticeable in a very negative way. 

It is now possible against many ships to simply spam HE against center of mass and farm damage without regard to any selectivity of target location, and cruisers that relied on their ability to resist shot spam and angle-tank larger guns are now noticeably softer.

This sort of change will make the games MORE stagnant, and SLOWER, and make players more timid and cautious, and increase the dominance of the vision meta in all the wrong ways.

This is like being back in alpha when armor wasn't working. My suggestion is that this auto 10% on a penetration not go in and instead add the module HP to the ships HP and then if it is destroyed and hit again the shot bounces/shatters. Any hits to the torpedo bulge that don't penetrate the citadel should be bounces/shatters.

[TF-62]
Members
105 posts
5,327 battles

I re ran the test on the normal server and yes as it is now DD AP does nothing to those ships shooting at the waterline. Furthermore shooting at the superstructure damage saturation did kick in unlike on the PTS. This is a deeply flawed change and a massive nerf to the affected ships. Not to mention a big buff to DDs.

[TF-62]
Members
105 posts
5,327 battles
4 hours ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Good testing.

To confirm -- you're using AP rounds from a destroyer, and causing full damage, without limit, simply by hitting the visible torpedo bulge on a battleship?

This would match with my in-battle experience with various ships in PTS. 

Not full damage but the 10% shooting into the bulge on these two ships. Just keeping shooting the same spot and the damage keeps rolling up without limit. HE shatters.

2 hours ago, Aetreus said:

Now shoot his upper belt.

Shooting the casemate/secondaries on these two ships does the same thing both PTS and normal. However damage saturation does kick in on the normal server unlike on the PTS. Its also worth noting shots from max range on the PTS scored the 10% damage hitting the deck etc. Not so on the normal server.

Alpha Tester
3,334 posts
3,779 battles
1 minute ago, Ski206 said:

Not full damage but the 10% shooting into the bulge on these two ships. Just keeping shooting the same spot and the damage keeps rolling up without limit. HE shatters.

Shooting the casemate/secondaries on these two ships does the same thing both PTS and normal. However damage saturation does kick in on the normal server unlike on the PTS. Its also worth noting shots from max range on the PTS scored the 10% damage hitting the deck etc. Not so on the normal server.

Even a saturated section will still usually take more damage than the bulge. 16.5%, until the ship's hull section is fully depleted. 75% of hp is in the hull section, so  the target is 80% dead or so by the time that happens. It is a meaningful change to let you deal 10% after that, since it will allow a ship to be killed without depleting the HP of all sections or DoT/overpen/cit damage, but I wouldn't say that in most games it will sway outcomes significantly. Typically ships take at least a little of these damage types by the time they are so low on HP.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts
2 hours ago, Ski206 said:

Sorry, I didn't mean full full, I meant it never saturated unlike current HE.

[TF-62]
Members
105 posts
5,327 battles
1 hour ago, KilljoyCutter said:

Sorry, I didn't mean full full, I meant it never saturated unlike current HE.

That is correct. The HE will saturate. the AP never does.

[RCN]
Members
13 posts
10,124 battles
  • Royal Navy and British Collection:  Nice but so what, just another collection...blah
  • Twilight Battle: really dont like it, It hate the halloween modes anyway so nope not for me thanks. 
  • Ranked Battles didnt try them here
  • Changes to Damage Mechanics Dont work, A bismark not melting a DD with a full secondatry build is not on guys, Ill secong the other posts on here about the ners 
  • Thunderstorm Front, except for the twilight version, didnt see it
  • Map and Operation/Scenario Changes, changes, what changed?

Look, Why are you messing with the game again and again. More bloody nerfs that you can shake a stick at is going to drive your players away.i left W of Tanks because of the nonsense wuth powercreep and nerfing things.

• Cool 2

[RKLES]
[RKLES]
Members
106 posts
2,961 battles

This sounds like another major change that will affect certain ships drastically more than others, which unbalances the playing field even more.  It seems like after a game is out a few years, developers keep looking for ways to change things up.  It usually doesn't end well.  What I would like to see, and most people I talk to, is the competitive modes (ranked and clan battles) keep improving.  Work on making it more of an even playing field.  This change sounds like the wrong direction.

Edited by 0NutsNBolts0
  • Cool 1

Beta Testers
1 post
4,923 battles

• Royal Navy and British Collection - Will get to it on the live sever i'm just a sucker for this stuff.
  • Twilight Battle - Not really interested.
  • Ranked Battles - Also not interested.
  • Changes to Damage Mechanics - For the reduced damage to destroys i'm fine with it. As for the other changes NO NO and more NO taking damage through hits to your torpedo belt is foolish and a terrible idea.
  • Thunderstorm Front - Was interesting to play through and I enjoyed how it change the flow of battle.
  • Map and Operation/Scenario Changes - I don't really play operations so i have no idea how these changes will effect them. For maps I have't really had the time to try and get games on them or notice the changes to the flow of battle.

After a few games in the Amagi and Fuso i can tell you the changes to the damage to torpedo belts is just bad, game breaking bad. In one instance I was fighting a North Carolina from about 6 kilometers away with my bow pointing straight at him providing me with the best Armour profile possible to bounce shells of my hull or get overpens in my superstructure. Instead I took 8000 plus Damage when 6 or 7 of his shells scraped the side of my ship and penetrated the torpedo belt. It's just not going to be fair for vessels with these large torpedo belts if u can take such large volumes damage straight from the front at close range.

[5D]
Beta Testers
432 posts
7,591 battles

Need more lightning, actual lighting effect of it. Looks great though.  Perhaps some more drops of water on the screen.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,954 posts
6,441 battles

Royal Navy and British Collection: It's a new collection, ive loved the collections since the first one so that really says all you need to know about how i feel about it

Twilight Battle: is good

Ranked Battles: dunno, not really a big fan of Ranked

Changes to Damage Mechanics: BB AP changed to 10% to DDs is fine, the torpedo bulges thing though? No, bad WG, bad, i can think of about 3 or 5 videos i could put in this post that reflect the EXACT reactions of the vast majority of the playerbase about this torpedo bulge thing, but i think 1 or 2 of them would be breaking forum rules so im not going to instead ill use just one that gets the point across very easily

Thunderstorm Front: interesting

Map and Operation/Scenario Changes: What changes?

Edited by tcbaker777

Members
2 posts
434 battles

In the Twilight Battle mode a Ghoul can waste everyone's time by hiding in the filth and using consumables.  Unless the enemy team ventures into the filth and gets lucky, this can use up the entire game period.  I've tested it twice now, and survived the full 20 minutes.  WG might want to change this.