You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Bullets_inc

Submarines First Impressions?

39 comments in this topic

[HAPPY]
Beta Testers
113 posts
6,196 battles

I played the Gerfalcon my first time and enjoyed the new "toys" so much.  I really hope WG can find a way to merge into normal gameplay its a lot of fun and would be a nice addition, in my opinion, if it can be done fairly and not disrupt gameplay.

• Cool 5
  • Bad 5

[V_KNG]
Beta Testers
9,269 posts

1) The 3rd person view is not where I'd like it to be, honestly... it's infuriating that the sub is visually in the way of what I want to see 90% of the time. 

2) I'd like "SUB-ONLY" keyboard assignments so I can use my WASD for normal stuff, then assign keys different than C and F for diving/surfacing. BUT I wouldnt want those key assignments used on other ships. 

3) Depth in the water... seems there are only four levels underwater... can it be six or eight? Personally I'd like to cruise just under the water with MY visibility for surfaced, sub-surface and dive. 

4) The torpedo aiming reticle is ridiculously over-sensitive - I cannot get it precisely where I want it, but rather have to "time" the fire for when the reticle swings by where I want to fire torps. 

I do like them tho

• Cool 2

[HAPPY]
Beta Testers
113 posts
6,196 battles

i thought about using the mouse wheel up and down for diving/climbing key bindings I agree the reticle is sensitive but I like that it is not too easy.

• Cool 1

[FARQD]
Members
308 posts
5,918 battles
9 minutes ago, Bullets_inc said:

i thought about using the mouse wheel up and down for diving/climbing key bindings I agree the reticle is sensitive but I like that it is not too easy.

Captain build please.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
438 posts
3,362 battles
18 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

1) The 3rd person view is not where I'd like it to be, honestly... it's infuriating that the sub is visually in the way of what I want to see 90% of the time. 

2) I'd like "SUB-ONLY" keyboard assignments so I can use my WASD for normal stuff, then assign keys different than C and F for diving/surfacing. BUT I wouldnt want those key assignments used on other ships. 

3) Depth in the water... seems there are only four levels underwater... can it be six or eight? Personally I'd like to cruise just under the water with MY visibility for surfaced, sub-surface and dive. 

4) The torpedo aiming reticle is ridiculously over-sensitive - I cannot get it precisely where I want it, but rather have to "time" the fire for when the reticle swings by where I want to fire torps. 

I do like them tho

I agree with #1 and #4 wholeheartedly.

I was derping around too much trying to drive it like a destroyer to be of much use commenting on #2 and #3.

They don't seem particularly easy to learn or overpowered.  Of course, I have only gone out twice so far.

What was up with the firing of the torpedoes.  You have 4 loaded, right?  Why does it take so long to fire all 4?  I could be doing it wrong, too.  :)

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles
28 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

I do like them tho

21 minutes ago, Bullets_inc said:

The difficulties in steering and aiming the subs are good things if Wargaming intends to add then into the rest of the game. Although they likely would share the same fate as CVs by being excluded from Clan Battles which would be good since I can see subs mainly being a good weekend weapon for Randoms, and not something meant to fight in Ranked or Clan battles, since once the likely Torp Reload time increases the subs will be more limited.

I can see them doing the job I envision for them of slipping past the Radar nets / blockades that stall out high tier battles and allowing other ships to follow. Perhaps even sinking camping radar ships or a BB. But doing well against good teams will not happen in subs since only weekend players move like the Scenerio bots, the better teams you see during the week will be able to evade the sub Torps and then unleash their firepower at the subs.

Edited by Admiral_Thrawn_1

Members
2,424 posts
2,247 battles

May have gotten the first crybaby point of the day when goofing around after me and a team mate was all that was left remaining. They're fun though. I burn through their oxygen pretty quickly, but I like them even though I had a hard time hitting torpedoes with the Gerfalcon. Think I prefer the Barracuda as the secondary guns give me extra security and fires, and i'd like to believe it has faster torpedoes. Though it may have just been my imagination. I've landed more torpedo hits with it. Obtained the Seelöwe, but haven't tried it yet. Sounds like a mix between Barracuda and Gerfalcon by the looks of it. 

I don't mind the torpedo delay. Gives me time to see if the AI changes course. I don't like how the camera zooms in when submerged though. It's cool swimming around, but I also like keeping my eye on the enemies around me. 

Edited by Yoshiblue

[RKLES]
Members
7,113 posts
8,767 battles
4 minutes ago, Captain_Slattery said:

I agree with #1 and #4 wholeheartedly.

I was derping around too much trying to drive it like a destroyer to be of much use commenting on #2 and #3.

They don't seem particularly easy to learn or overpowered.  Of course, I have only gone out twice so far.

What was up with the firing of the torpedoes.  You have 4 loaded, right?  Why does it take so long to fire all 4?  I could be doing it wrong, too.  :)

Pay attention to the Torps and reload timers since some of the subs you need to cycle through 1-2 Keys and others need you to manage 1-3 Keys.

[5BS]
Members
4,540 posts
35 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Not a fan either, but I feel the same way about the Camera in the CV Beta so I suspect this will get changed with refinement.

35 minutes ago, Herr_Reitz said:

Same as the CV Beta, I suspect this will come as well.

That all said, this is very promising and I look forward to Subs being in the main game. I'd rather play subs and ASW DD then anything Cruiser or BB related. There hasn't been a good *arcade* sub game since TC's:SSN. Love me some Silent Hunter, don't get me wrong, but that's a game you sit down to play for hours and plan meticulously, not just hop in and start dropping torps on BB's with.

Edited by _RC1138

[HAPPY]
Members
38 posts
10,998 battles

OK...Played 2 games then off to work....5 star the second game.  Played Gerfalcon then the Barrracuda.  I preferred the Gerfalcon because I playe dit first because it did not have guns.  I did not know at the time that they worked like secondaries and fired by themselves.  The scenario is EXTREMELY well done in my opinion and I love the fact that WOWS layered a theme for 3 years.  OUTSTANDING job.  REALLY enjoyed the gameplay and I am sure I can work out my kinks (very few) in operation and really make these little things work.

Side note:  CHECKING ACCOUNT IS WAITING TO BUY.

DAMMIT!!!!  I cant buy anything from you this year because I promised myself that I would give you no more money in 2018 from the screw job for "new" players that you did to us veterans that have been paying all along.  Now I am really mad at you WG WOWS.

Edited by BUNNYHUGGERI

[ASRN]
Beta Testers
225 posts
2,001 battles

Loved the stern launching torps.  I kept hearing Khan's voice in my head:  'Aft torpedoes... FIRE!"    Of course I missed, just like in the movie.  lol

[A_O_A]
Beta Testers
106 posts
4,972 battles

5 star on the first game but I didn’t contribute much trying to figure out maneuverability and my torp angles. Thanks to my team for carrying me! Won a new sub...how many subs are there and how can you unlock them? Also...what are you people using for captain skills?

[5BS]
Members
4,540 posts
Just now, MagicMikeV said:

5 star on the first game but I didn’t contribute much trying to figure out maneuverability and my torp angles. Thanks to my team for carrying me! Won a new sub...how many subs are there and how can you unlock them? Also...what are you people using for captain skills?

I set my Barracuda Capt with:

Tier 1: PM (I don't care about PT so I always Take PM on non-CV's)

Tier 2: LS and JoAT

Tier 3: BFT and TAE

Tier 4: AFT and MSA.

[NCG]
Members
2 posts
274 battles
6 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Yeah, this I can recommend. average games look like so:

shot-18_10.31_15_00.51-0802.thumb.jpg.d3c4ad94e343839070c69005998578a2.jpg

Team lost; was the sole survivor of the team so we failed pretty hard... the secondaries are pretty powerful though, they were a joy. Instant 3 fires was actualy pretty pervailant.

Perhaps a lucky/unlucky game?

[UFFA]
Members
601 posts
35 battles

Two games so far and it seems too tempting for half the team to sneak off to try to gank rasputin and botch the entire op. Early hours. :cap_like:

ps

Seems like most people aren't using the basic sub that I'm stuck in though.

Finally a nice aggressive team that stuck together. I had less kills however the results where better because it was a 5 star win. :cap_win:
tenor.gif

Edited by Sparviero

Alpha Tester
116 posts
1,486 battles
50 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Thanks, got lucky and had an awesome team 5 starred it on first go!

[REVY]
Members
941 posts
7,322 battles
1 hour ago, Ann_Darrow said:

Loved the stern launching torps.  I kept hearing Khan's voice in my head:  'Aft torpedoes... FIRE!"    Of course I missed, just like in the movie.  lol

662f6000-002a-45d6-8e04-627c3bc62dbb_scr

• Cool 2

[KRAK]
Members
958 posts
13,126 battles

Not crazy about the gimmick "freeze" torpedoes. I do not know if they plan to have these if released into the game but I feel there are enough gimmicks in game already.

Maneuvers very well, torp speed seems good but I am not crazy about having to be in a 3rd person view all the time and aside from "freeze" torps which are front firing the rest have to be launched out of the aft. 

[5BS]
Members
4,540 posts
3 hours ago, Vaffu said:

Not crazy about the gimmick "freeze" torpedoes. I do not know if they plan to have these if released into the game but I feel there are enough gimmicks in game already.

Doubtful. It's like all the wacky consumables in the other ops. Maybe a version of something like them comes, with a higher chance to disable engines/rudder, just like how a version of increased fire rate/TRB came out, but I doubt anything so direct as that. I assume that Torpedo types will be a national flavor, with some nations getting different spreads or DWT vs. normal, or stealthy slow or fast but noisy, ect.

[KRAK]
Members
958 posts
13,126 battles
10 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Doubtful. It's like all the wacky consumables in the other ops. Maybe a version of something like them comes, with a higher chance to disable engines/rudder, just like how a version of increased fire rate/TRB came out, but I doubt anything so direct as that. I assume that Torpedo types will be a national flavor, with some nations getting different spreads or DWT vs. normal, or stealthy slow or fast but noisy, ect.

One can hope but you never really know with WG. 

[5BS]
Members
4,540 posts
3 minutes ago, Vaffu said:

One can hope but you never really know with WG. 

Well they still haven't put in a group heal from last year's Op, and that's something I think *should* be added, especially for mid-line cruisers to perhaps act as an incentive for BB's to follow them forward.

[CSWLN]
Members
23 posts
5,573 battles
9 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

Well they still haven't put in a group heal from last year's Op, and that's something I think *should* be added, especially for mid-line cruisers to perhaps act as an incentive for BB's to follow them forward.

This could also work as a speed boost. Especially for when you've eliminated all the enemies on your side of the map and it takes 3-5 minutes to  reach the remaining ones.