Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Sumwunskum

New subs a great addition!

20 comments in this topic

[-RUM-]
Members
24 posts
1,367 battles

Must say that I enjoyed the new scenario and the implemented control style of subs. Would love to see them in pvp game modes. I know historically they didn't speed around at 20+ kts or participate in fleet actions but you can't say either that fleet actions were fought with the bulk of ships being BBs and only a handful of destroyers/cruisers. Like the carrier rework this is another step in the right direction and will hopefully be introduced keeping the game fresh and interesting! Good stuff WG!

• Cool 9
  • Boring 1
  • Bad 8

Members
6 posts
2,402 battles

the one grip i have is the speed surfaced vs submerged. and i like the classes, those rear torps can be fun. deck guns are.... dunno yet.

[-RUM-]
Members
24 posts
1,367 battles
3 minutes ago, nemoskull said:

the one grip i have is the speed surfaced vs submerged. and i like the classes, those rear torps can be fun. deck guns are.... dunno yet.

Yes it would be nice if the deck gun/guns function as a primary. 

[WOLFB]
Members
1,651 posts
8,027 battles

I must say it's refreshing to see something new. I really enjoyed my first try even though I didn't really know wth I was doing and supposed to do.

shot-18_10.31_22_50.22-0259.thumb.jpg.957784f236522bfb8259f049ed74f35b.jpg

Regarding balancing, they made a good job of only displaying the ship position on the minimap and not on the screen when deep underwater. It forces me to estimate roughly where I should rise to the surface and pay attention whether the ship has gun pointed toward me. These ship are great BB hunter but I expect them to have Colorado speed so it will be kinda hard to catch up ennemi ship if Submarine spawn next to friendly ship. Manoeuvrability is eh... but this is my very first game and my very first impression. I'll play few games tomorrow 

Forgot to mention, it would be nice to have the camera above the surface when we rise up because having underwater camera doesn't really help to see what ship is around the sub. But again maybe it's for balancing purpose ? 

Edited by AlcatrazNC
  • Cool 2

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,472 posts
6,653 battles

I found the version now on the public server far easier than the PTS, great fun! (though subs turn rate is slightly crazy)

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,024 battles

I'm also a big fan of the new subs. I'd love to get my hands on an in game Gato. Or Type VIII

Members
2,396 posts
5,421 battles
29 minutes ago, AlcatrazNC said:

I must say it's refreshing to see something new. I really enjoyed my first try even though I didn't really know wth I was doing and supposed to do.

shot-18_10.31_22_50.22-0259.thumb.jpg.957784f236522bfb8259f049ed74f35b.jpg

Regarding balancing, they made a good job of only displaying the ship position on the minimap and not on the screen when deep underwater. It forces me to estimate roughly where I should rise to the surface and pay attention whether the ship has gun pointed toward me. These ship are great BB hunter but I expect them to have Colorado speed so it will be kinda hard to catch up ennemi ship if Submarine spawn next to friendly ship. Manoeuvrability is eh... but this is my very first game and my very first impression. I'll play few games tomorrow 

Forgot to mention, it would be nice to have the camera above the surface when we rise up because having underwater camera doesn't really help to see what ship is around the sub. But again maybe it's for balancing purpose ? 

Whats the story on torpedo launch ?  No firing of torps UNDERWATER right?  

[MIA-A]
Members
1,963 posts
6,549 battles
28 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

I found the version now on the public server far easier than the PTS, great fun! (though subs turn rate is slightly crazy)

I think the catapults are way less accurate. I found LS really important on the PTS but I've never had my engine hit on live (I ran 4 this morning).

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,587 posts
14,010 battles
2 minutes ago, dionkraft said:

Whats the story on torpedo launch ?  No firing of torps UNDERWATER right?  

You can fire at periscope depth.  Your vision is greatly diminished, however.

I try to stay at the surface as long as possible and dive down to periscope if things are getting a big close to the target.  Oxygen is a premium.  You run out and you're forced to surface regardless of where your'e at.  I even prefer to do my torpedo launches at the surface when I can.

1 out of 2 runs were a success.  The successful one was a 4 star.  It's kind of a cluster right now because everyone is feeling things out.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway

Members
2,396 posts
5,421 battles

Off to a good start so far... as for deck guns..I think they will become functional  - after all WOW needs the credits and Doubloons to upgrade as historically as was done in the past.  Then their are the consumables and other upgrades..Don't get me started..LOL!   

[RKLES]
Members
7,099 posts
8,751 battles
1 hour ago, Sumwunskum said:

Must say that I enjoyed the new scenario and the implemented control style of subs. Would love to see them in pvp game modes. I know historically they didn't speed around at 20+ kts or participate in fleet actions but you can't say either that fleet actions were fought with the bulk of ships being BBs and only a handful of destroyers/cruisers. Like the carrier rework this is another step in the right direction and will hopefully be introduced keeping the game fresh and interesting! Good stuff WG!

Looks at Battle of Jutland and what the main clash of the battle was... :cap_hmm:

• Cool 1

Members
2,396 posts
5,421 battles
1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

You can fire at periscope depth.  Your vision is greatly diminished, however.

I try to stay at the surface as long as possible and dive down to periscope if things are getting a big close to the target.  Oxygen is a premium.  You run out and you're forced to surface regardless of where your'e at.  I even prefer to do my torpedo launches at the surface when I can.

1 out of 2 runs were a success.  The successful one was a 4 star.  It's kind of a cluster right now because everyone is feeling things out.

I'm on my third game so...first game was not bad....scored in the middle of the pack BUT the 2nd game...I did something wrong and got blown up minutes into ti! My BAD!! LOL!   Oh well...but I did notice a few things..when in periscope depth they should put a wake (like the torps) into it..better would the wake corresponds to the speed of the SUB.   Longer wake - faster speed.  Maybe too complex but just a observation on my part.  Plus this auto surface...I feel it should be manual so you take damage if you want..sometimes its because its better to take little damage and get into another position then be forced to surface as the program says so. Now maybe when present damage is so high then you don't have that option would be good. Oh well..just thinking out loud..I am sure these issues will be massaged later on...this is just the initial phase..so far...not bad!   

Members
2,396 posts
5,421 battles

How does one get to access the GERFALCON and the SEELOW.  I only have access to the MIGHTY BARRACUDA...LOL!

[B_Y_F]
Members
82 posts
5,542 battles
5 hours ago, Sumwunskum said:

I know historically they didn't speed around at 20+ kts or participate in fleet actions but you can't say either that fleet actions were fought with the bulk of ships being BBs and only a handful of destroyers/cruisers.

Love this part.....trying to use realism argument in one point and intentionally leave it alone in all other parts in an arcade game is just unacceptable.

[-RNG-]
Beta Testers
229 posts
2,264 battles

Armament is extremely lacking for PvP purposes and they serve no role that isn't already filled by a destroyer. The only think destroyers don't do better is sneak through an enemy line to cap, but on no planet is that a good thing for gameplay. 

[KOOKS]
[KOOKS]
Members
418 posts
1,822 battles

I dunno, it was just too easy. On our team no one had done this, we all were going 'hows this gonna work' and after something that just felt like a cake walk we'd cleaned the map and won. Didn't feel challenging one little bit. Not my cup of tea, though fun for others that may enjoy it.

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,024 battles

Found a unique trick. Although running out of air means you have to do an emergency surface, if you go deep just before you run out of air it can take quite a bit longer before you breach. This can give you enough time to be out of detection rang when you surface.

Beta Testers
152 posts
3,646 battles
11 hours ago, LoveBote said:

I agree. Started off with the Barracuda and I found it much more usable than my run through the Public test.

I really like the opportunities subs have, I just wish they were a little more flexible (as in, they decide on a Torpedo model to make standard). If their guns were primary controlled that would be good too- the over-reliance on Torpedoes makes them kind of tricky to use.

Also support from real ships would be good.

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,736 posts

Giving the vast majority of era submarines 20kt speed underwater is equivalent to giving DDs 80kt speed, or giving BB main guns a 100km range.

Edited by KilljoyCutter

Sign in to follow this