You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.

15 comments in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles

Happy Halloween, fellow WOWSers.

In the dying minutes of my gameplay last night, wondering what to do, the fact that I had the Nobilium in port presented itself. And though I got my backside handed to me the last time I tried a Tier VIII carrier (in PTS), I thought "Oh come on, it's the Halloween event, team damage is switched off and I have a bunch of humans with me this time instead of PTS bots. Everyone who really needed stars out of this for RN missions has likely got them by now so I'm probably not ruining anyone's shot at a guinea; let's load up and go for it while we still can."

Observations:

1) The operation is very hectic, and the swirly blinky lights around the portal make things very difficult to discern in the early stages.

2) The beams from the towers are very bright and distracting, especially where they converge on the portal, and make it hard to pick ships out as they emerge; the filth itself was less of a problem, and I found myself most easily targeting ships that were well clear of the actual gate.

3) It was very easy, with four strike squadrons running around, to lose track of who had dropped and who had not; a couple of times I called empty bombers back to try to sink stuff, there were times loaded bombers were sitting idle, and my fighters never really got used properly. (This is purely me being a carrier noob, and no reflection on either WOWS or the operation itself.)

4) Trying to manage all this and at the same time decide what was the right time to push the heal and eclipse buttons made things even more stressful. This operation really does need a carrier player who's confident enough with their ship that they can manipulate the special consumables properly. What's going to happen to this operation next year if the carrier rework is in place, I do not know. I hope they keep the special consumables usable while you are in airplane mode, or working the Nobilium is going to suck.

5) Despite all of this, I managed to sink five ships, put eight torpedoes into the Rasputin, and escape with my life. And we four-starred it, due mostly to the efforts of the surface combatants.  Thank you, all of you, for carrying that load while I derped my way through. No matter how I tried, the visibility issues I mentioned above and the hectic nature of the battle meant that I could not locate the Great Gorgon in order to attack it, nor did anyone else manage to sink it.

6) I suspect normal carrier play at this tier, without the special consumables to manage, will be less stressful, all else being equal. Yes, you have to be somewhat unselfish as a carrier player, but having to manage a global heal and paralysis of the enemy for everybody feels like a re-run of Brady's executive monkeys. (You will of course have human opponents who are less inclined to be recklessly aggressive and will play better than the bots, but there will be fewer of them.)

7) The nature of the consumables and their importance in the battle mean that Superintendent is mandatory for all the ships in this challenge, but ESPECIALLY for the carrier player.

8) I... um... almost hope the rework doesn't go through. I could... um... almost get used to this. Just not when so many people get upset at not getting the magic five stars.

Edited by Ensign_Cthulhu
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[RKLES]
Members
7,103 posts
8,758 battles

Yeah CV gameplay is not so bad and if you feel you may not be able to bomb a moving target the auto drops can work wonders at time. Yeah everyone says you “ always need to manual drop”, but even auto dropping can mean a hit when you might have missed otherwise.

If you decide to use Carriers in other game modes though you won’t need the Superintendent skill lol.

[-K-]
Members
5,075 posts
8,956 battles

I found out after 4-5 tries that to 5-star this event, you basically need a DD willing to (almost) yolo and go deep enough into the filth to put a few spreads of torps into Gorgon.

[WOLF3]
Members
5,975 posts
2,203 battles

That's about right.  And/or a BB to ram it.

11 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

The nature of the consumables and their importance in the battle mean

On every ship for this Op, mastering the use of the consumables can turn it into a beast. 

If you play it in the future, I'd pay less attention to the ships (save Gorgon and coterie) that enter at the gate and concentrate on the ships that "teleport spawn" toward the edge of the Filth.  Those are the ones that give your pew-pew botes the most trouble.  Nothing like cruisin' the edge in your Svyatozar and having a Varg suddenly materialize 3 klicks off your beam...

Members
17,786 posts
5,084 battles
10 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

I found out after 4-5 tries that to 5-star this event, you basically need a DD willing to (almost) yolo and go deep enough into the filth to put a few spreads of torps into Gorgon.

I managed it once last year with Syvatozar. (whatever it's called lol)

I used the quick reload consumable to hit ships in the filth, keeping my HP up. Once I found Gorgon, I put it between me and the other enemies, and just spammed it with HE (more quick reload) and torped it. 

Once it was dead, I had nothing to shoot to regain HP, so the filth killed me. But we did 5-star it.

[FAE]
Members
2,121 posts
2,524 battles
12 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

I... um... almost hope the rework doesn't go through. I could... um... almost get used to this. Just not when so many people get upset at not getting the magic five stars.

I also hope the CV rework doesn't just erase the old CV multi-management style. Though I would be completely game for rebalancing and reducing the management load!

• Cool 1

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,910 posts
3,297 battles

Shame you didn't have me on your team. First thing I tell a CV: Save your heal specifically for Transylvania, save your freeze for Rasputin and Gorgon and to save tower#2. Tower#1 can easily be ignored to some degree, but you want to keep it alive just long enough, the amount of time given by the destruction of a tower is percent based on the amount of time left.

I then harass the Gorgon, which frees up fighter planes for scouting.  Air support usually gets me killed, so your fighters not dealing with enemy aircraft, would not have been an issue for me.

[NWNG]
[NWNG]
Members
1,910 posts
3,297 battles
27 minutes ago, Skpstr said:

I used the quick reload consumable to hit ships in the filth, keeping my HP up. Once I found Gorgon, I put it between me and the other enemies, and just spammed it with HE (more quick reload) and torped it. 

Once it was dead, I had nothing to shoot to regain HP, so the filth killed me. But we did 5-star it.

this is why it is better for a destroyer to face Gorgon, because its speedboost makes it very strong in the filth

[B_Y_F]
Members
83 posts
5,542 battles
1 hour ago, Skpstr said:

WOW, that's very impressive! I never manage to get close enough to Gorgon in a CL. I fing that use a BB to kill Gorgon is much easier. Manuals secondary always set enough fire to burn it down(or ram and kill it in 3s)

Members
761 posts
4,005 battles
13 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Happy Halloween, fellow WOWSers.

In the dying minutes of my gameplay last night, wondering what to do, the fact that I had the Nobilium in port presented itself. And though I got my backside handed to me the last time I tried a Tier VIII carrier (in PTS), I thought "Oh come on, it's the Halloween event, team damage is switched off and I have a bunch of humans with me this time instead of PTS bots. Everyone who really needed stars out of this for RN missions has likely got them by now so I'm probably not ruining anyone's shot at a guinea; let's load up and go for it while we still can."

Observations:

1) The operation is very hectic, and the swirly blinky lights around the portal make things very difficult to discern in the early stages.

2) The beams from the towers are very bright and distracting, especially where they converge on the portal, and make it hard to pick ships out as they emerge; the filth itself was less of a problem, and I found myself most easily targeting ships that were well clear of the actual gate.

3) It was very easy, with four strike squadrons running around, to lose track of who had dropped and who had not; a couple of times I called empty bombers back to try to sink stuff, there were times loaded bombers were sitting idle, and my fighters never really got used properly. (This is purely me being a carrier noob, and no reflection on either WOWS or the operation itself.)

4) Trying to manage all this and at the same time decide what was the right time to push the heal and eclipse buttons made things even more stressful. This operation really does need a carrier player who's confident enough with their ship that they can manipulate the special consumables properly. What's going to happen to this operation next year if the carrier rework is in place, I do not know. I hope they keep the special consumables usable while you are in airplane mode, or working the Nobilium is going to suck.

5) Despite all of this, I managed to sink five ships, put eight torpedoes into the Rasputin, and escape with my life. And we four-starred it, due mostly to the efforts of the surface combatants.  Thank you, all of you, for carrying that load while I derped my way through. No matter how I tried, the visibility issues I mentioned above and the hectic nature of the battle meant that I could not locate the Great Gorgon in order to attack it, nor did anyone else manage to sink it.

6) I suspect normal carrier play at this tier, without the special consumables to manage, will be less stressful, all else being equal. Yes, you have to be somewhat unselfish as a carrier player, but having to manage a global heal and paralysis of the enemy for everybody feels like a re-run of Brady's executive monkeys. (You will of course have human opponents who are less inclined to be recklessly aggressive and will play better than the bots, but there will be fewer of them.)

7) The nature of the consumables and their importance in the battle mean that Superintendent is mandatory for all the ships in this challenge, but ESPECIALLY for the carrier player.

8) I... um... almost hope the rework doesn't go through. I could... um... almost get used to this. Just not when so many people get upset at not getting the magic five stars.

2) Even when you zoom in a bit to avoid that, the meme acceleration can throw you off since they spawn at 0 and then speed up. It's best to let them top out and then try and drop.

3) I usually only work with one squad at a time and sequentially, even if I'm trying to multi-drop. Multi-dropping is just cycling rapidly between each squad.

If there are more than two squads, what I do is FIRST send any squads I'm not using to a safe area and then work with the squads I'm using sequentially. Some people try to send active groups out first and then sort out backburner, which is confusing and a rookie mistake. This is where people feel like they're juggling too many things.

4) The heal is only really useful when you've done boatloads of damage, but the nature of the op (where cruisers become meme-like and can attain MILLIONS in potential DPM with their consumable) means that's unlikely. Instead use it every time it goes active. You get enough of them to drop all of them just barely short of round end during a normal op, and they don't really save the day that much given their short duration and moderate healing. It's useful for topping off and not much more.

The eclipse is extremely useful and you get 7 of them. Coordinate with your team when it comes to using them. They can help set up bosses for rams (if a BB with shield ready is nearby) or for torp runs (either for you or a DD).

You can ALSO use it to save teammates who are in serious trouble. Pay attention to the enemy positions to figure out when to use it defensively instead of offensively.

5) The reality of CV play is that if people ignored the salty chat and just tried their best, there would be a lot more "decent" CV players out there. They wouldn't be unicum but that's not strictly necessary; they can always stick to 4-6, where you rarely see VII and its premium/extreme IJN advantage.

6) Unfortunately, for PVP, you're missing a critical factor: strafe.

Strafe is integral to current VIII CV play and is why so few people want to play CV.

7) Superintendent provides virtually no advantage in PVP, I must caution.

8) This is the unfortunate thing about CV play. People are afraid of what they don't know, and if they actually haven't played a CV to any significant degree, they can't possibly understand the potential of the current system, the limitations of the "new, improved" rework, or the feast/famine nature of CV play (where you often don't feel like a god, but a glass cannon). All they know is being on the wrong end of it.

For what it's worth I RARELY see anyone complain about Ranger v Ranger play, or Independence v Independence CV matches, because those are actually fair for both surface and CV.

It's always when it's USN tech vs IJN/premium where you get blowout matches.

The other thing is that I seriously doubt they can put CVs back into ops when the rework drops.

You need air control for certain ops (specifically, strafe), and the fighter consumable (you now "drop" what is basically a cat fighter squad when you hit a button) has no chance at protecting your team from multiple flights like in current ops. The air element is basically not going to exist anymore, because other than surface AA you have no reliable way to protect your team, and that's unfair to surface given current op parameters.

If they disabled strafe for everything BUT ops, or made strafe a captain skill (which reduces fighter HP by 50%, so that you can counter it if you can dodge the strafe and dogfight), while capping all loadouts to 1/1/2 (and only allowing "historical" multi squads in ops), they could fix the current system.

But that's gone now.

Even if you don't need air control (like this op), you'd have to make the CVs OP with alpha and DOT chance, because the rework squads are smaller and require micro when lining up a drop with a moving target while being hit with flak walls.

We can only hope that it's at least fun (enough) within PVP.

[INTEL]
Members
747 posts
7,892 battles
8 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

this is why it is better for a destroyer to face Gorgon, because its speedboost makes it very strong in the filth

7 hours ago, sapient007 said:

WOW, that's very impressive! I never manage to get close enough to Gorgon in a CL. I fing that use a BB to kill Gorgon is much easier. Manuals secondary always set enough fire to burn it down(or ram and kill it in 3s)

Sorry to burst your collective bubble but the Svyatozar cruiser is the best ship by far for killing Gorgon.

Finding Gorgon in the filth is easy.

1) Stay in the Filth close to the Gateway. Behind it is best. Gorgon only spawns in three places and all are well within the Svya's radar range when close to the gate. Usually you dont even need radar to spot the green glow of the spawn.

2) Use reload boost/heal to keep your health up while in the filth. Play it right and you'll have plenty of HP on hand when Gorgon spawns.

3) Keep Gorgon on fire and it cant launch or recover planes.

4) Keep shooting Gorgon and its just an XP Pinata.

Below is dragging a random team to a 4 star while solo killing Gorgon.

Svy.thumb.PNG.d983cd4e7f20989923b0589fdd8b00cd.PNGSvy2.PNG.c05b9f47497d37bcc5995138d073fc14.PNGSvy3.thumb.PNG.4d5a28dfa8032769eb109ed860031222.PNG

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,623 posts
14,017 battles
19 hours ago, Ace_04 said:

The other ship types can do the job also, it's just the DD is specifically built for it.  BB AA is actually quite decent for this Operation.  Secondaries, Ramming, Main Batteries, and Torpedoes / Flood effects can all be done by the BB to make short work of Gorgon.  But BBs tend to be needed more near Transylvania and helping deal with Rasputin.  The Cruiser is also very good against Gorgon because she sets it on fire.  Once that fire sticks, Gorgon isn't dropping planes.  Then it's Cruiser DPM Time!  Her Radar also lets her get an early drop on Gorgon while she closes range for regular spotting.

A confident, decently played DD alone in the Filth can tackle Gorgon alone.  Stick a flood, hopefully get lucky with a fire, and just keep hammering away.  It also helps the Engine Boost's heal component only works inside the Filth.  So a DD running around torping in regular waters, even with lots of damage dealt, isn't working on full capabilities.  1-2 DDs on Gorgon is enough.  The Cruisers and Battleships can stick with Transylvania, kill Rasputin, defend the towers.  But the CV makes it all easier.  Outside the aerial attacks, an observant CV user popping Team Heals and Eclipse at the right times is valuable a.f.

• Cool 1

[ARGSY]
Members
5,794 posts
3,966 battles
9 hours ago, NATOMarksman said:

Superintendent provides virtually no advantage in PVP, I must caution.

Oh, I knew that very well going into this. ONLY for this op, and ONLY because of the unique capabilities the carrier gets that influence EVERYONE else.

1 hour ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

an observant CV user popping Team Heals and Eclipse at the right times is valuable a.f.

9 hours ago, NATOMarksman said:

People are afraid of what they don't know, and if they actually haven't played a CV to any significant degree, they can't possibly understand the potential of the current system, the limitations of the "new, improved" rework, or the feast/famine nature of CV play

This, so much, which is why I free XP'd past the T3 and T4 US battleships to get the Langley and get some experience that wasn't tied to the PTS being up. (And then I free XP'd to the Bogue because hey, if I'm going to dabble in carriers, why not at least be earning daily mission XP for it, which the Langley can't do?) All I can say right now is that I'm comfortable in co-op with two attack and one fighter squadrons, concentrating on ONE cap and playing my aircraft as the ship's weapon system against single targets in sequence. I understand the limitations of the new system but also the advantages; not having to concentrate on more than one air group is going to make coping with carrier play easier for me, though there is a part of me that's going to miss the RTS aspect now.

Also, thanks everyone for all the other hints. Will try this again next time it pops up, hopefully without the extra pressure for people to grab stars. 

Members
17,786 posts
5,084 battles
10 hours ago, Counter_Gambit said:

For sure, I just tried it on a whim.

[1NJS]
Members
29 posts
4,379 battles

I am personally of the opinion that "Easy mode" was more difficult to 5-Star than "Hard mode" because you killed stuff too fast and do not have the time to kill Gorgon (the carrier).  In hard mode the times I 5-Starred it we *never* used a dd, in easy mode I think a dd hunting the Gorgon in the filth is almost a requirement for 5-Stars.