You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
shadowsrmine

Unique Commanders Not All Are Equel Or Even As Good

25 comments in this topic

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts

Looking specifically at the German Commanders  Handyman is at least useful so is Superintendent as is Higher Alert and Master Marksman,Rapid Loader,Expert Maintenance,Adrenaline Surge yes,     But Improved Vigilance?    I  haven't found anyone who uses it  I  know I Don't   do any of you and why?     Seems to me if any  Commander were to use Master Marksman  And or Expert Loader or Superintendent,Handyman,Higher Alert it would have been the German Lines so  why?

Edited by shadowsrmine

Members
891 posts
6,909 battles

The problem with vigilance is it costs too much for such a small gain, but if they buff it too much then it becomes a permanent hydro.

• Cool 2

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles

I have used Vigilance buff on the special German Commander on my Hindy and it has worked out well for me. I have pushed smokes and other trop cruisers hard being the brawler the Hindy is. I have used most of the special perks on ships that benefit a lot out of them. Having 20 19 point commanders and a load of elite xp, I have ship/scenario specific builds which makes us full use of those special parks. But for general builds they might not be good really. 

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
11 minutes ago, Rouxi said:

The problem with vigilance is it costs too much for such a small gain, but if they buff it too much then it becomes a permanent hydro.

I  agree so why not have it trade places with another lower skill?   Still not sure  I wanna use it but perhaps at lower level?  Or even combine it with Priority Target at say level 2    Trading spots with Higher Alert or even  combining with it?     As is  I'd prefer one of the other skills such as Master Marksman?

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,276 battles
35 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

Looking specifically at the German Commanders  Handyman is at least useful so is Superintendent as is Higher Alert and Master Marksman,Rapid Loader,Expert Maintenance,Adrenaline Surge yes,     But Improved Vigilance?    I  haven't found anyone who uses it  I  know I Don't   do any of you and why?     Seems to me if any  Commander were to use Master Marksman  And or Expert Loader or Superintendent,Handyman,Higher Alert it would have been the German Lines so  why?

I could see a German BB wanting to use Vigilance if they're constantly trying to push into the enemy.

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
28 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

I have used Vigilance buff on the special German Commander on my Hindy and it has worked out well for me. I have pushed smokes and other trop cruisers hard being the brawler the Hindy is. I have used most of the special perks on ships that benefit a lot out of them. Having 20 19 point commanders and a load of elite xp, I have ship/scenario specific builds which makes us full use of those special parks. But for general builds they might not be good really. 

:Smile_great:This Poster here is the 1ST person I've seen who admits to using that skill everyone else is like me there are too many other skills that are more useful that don't  cost near as much if it were lower down maybe where it is now?  No:etc_swear: Way:Smile_facepalm:

• Bad 1

[KAPPA]
Members
146 posts
4,220 battles

Personally, if there were any line I would want it on, it would involve KMs. It not only increases your base torp detection, but also your hydro's torp detection. If you're going German, I imagine you're going to want the hydro, so why not buff it to the extreme? I'll probably be transferring mine to Bismarck sooner or later, and then using that to make the recently buffed hydro become a truly useful consumable. Because, seriously, bismarck's old hydro was well and truly painful to get value out of. Its range was so short that I'd only dodge torps I already was dodging before seeing them.

• Cool 1

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles
15 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_great:This Poster here is the 1ST person I've seen who admits to using that skill everyone else is like me there are too many other skills that are more useful that don't  cost near as much if it were lower down maybe where it is now?  No:etc_swear: Way:Smile_facepalm:

Just because you don't see people telling about it doesn't mean they are not using it. Ignorance is bliss :D

And if you have ever played a Hindy and have a 19 point commander do let me know what is the 'other best' build you have. I will show why my play style suits my build and yours doesn't suit me. 

Edited by sansfaille
  • Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
25 minutes ago, sansfaille said:

Just because you don't see people telling about it doesn't mean they are not using it. Ignorance is bliss :D

And if you have ever played a Hindy and have a 19 point commander do let me know what is the 'other best' build you have. I will show why my play style suits my build and yours doesn't suit me. 

I have several friends that play the Admiral Hipper,Hindenburg,Scharnhorst,Tirpitz,Bismark,Friedrich der Grobe,Grober Kurfurst  and  none of them use it on any of them to repeat they favor other skills both Offensive And Defensive  and yes I asked they're advice as expeirenced players of German ,DD's,BB's  and Cruisers

• Boring 1

[FARQD]
Members
305 posts
5,881 battles
4 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

I have several friends that play the Admiral Hipper,Hindenburg,Scharnhorst,Tirpitz,Bismark,Friedrich der Grobe,Grober Kurfurst  and  none of them use it on any of them to repeat they favor other skills both Offensive And Defensive  and yes I asked they're advice as expeirenced players of German ,DD's,BB's  and Cruisers

Just because 'several of your friends' dont want to use doesnt' mean no one else has to use. And you have no idea which offensive or defensive skills they use and just speaking out of thin air. I will tell you why I find this skill useful for a Hindy

Tier 1- Priority target (all cruisers use it), Expert loader (just because I didnt find any other skill worth with 1 point remaining)

TIer 2- Adrenaline rush (most of them take it). Jack of all trades (the special captain perk), no other skill other than the Expert marksman suits this ship but I wanted to reduce the consumable reload so chose JoAT.

Tier 3- Superintendent, demo expert, vigilance (special skill) . Other skills like torp reload or the Survivabilty expert are useless. CVs are rare so no BFT. Basics of survivability has no use for me as fire is a non issue for me and I barely remember eating torps. 

Tier 4-  concealment. Again CVs are rare so advance firing and manual fire control I find them useless. RL is useless for a Hindy as I am no DD hunter. Few might use fire prevention but I know how to manage my fires well and not to attract fires (also fire burns for less duration on a cruiser). So with the remaining 4 points, vigilance and expert loader was good value for me.

If you know even a single bit of how builds are done, explain me how any other skill would have been more useful for my play style (which you have no idea about). 

Go to the vid and skip to 18:14 because you always want to believe in "experienced players". I trust Flamu is experienced enough to certify it. 

• Boring 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
1 hour ago, sansfaille said:

:Smile_great:

28 minutes ago, shadowsrmine said:

:Smile_great:The point is I didn't put down you or your choice,   I did say it wasn't my choice nor my friends.    You OTH   chose to take iit as an insult and a put down and proceeded to try and insult me and my friends  Fine  I've had people far better at it than you try(tho not so much for years) still take it how you want to.    If you want to get insulting I'll just stop listening to you  It's your choice we can be Civil  or..........................................

• Bad 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
2 hours ago, sansfaille said:

Just because 'several of your friends' dont want to use doesnt' mean no one else has to use. And you have no idea which offensive or defensive skills they use and just speaking out of thin air. I will tell you why I find this skill useful for a Hindy

Tier 1- Priority target (all cruisers use it), Expert loader (just because I didnt find any other skill worth with 1 point remaining)

TIer 2- Adrenaline rush (most of them take it). Jack of all trades (the special captain perk), no other skill other than the Expert marksman suits this ship but I wanted to reduce the consumable reload so chose JoAT.

Tier 3- Superintendent, demo expert, vigilance (special skill) . Other skills like torp reload or the Survivabilty expert are useless. CVs are rare so no BFT. Basics of survivability has no use for me as fire is a non issue for me and I barely remember eating torps. 

Tier 4-  concealment. Again CVs are rare so >>-->>>advance firing and manual fire control<<<--<< I find them useless. RL is useless for a Hindy as I am no DD hunter. Few might use fire prevention but I know how to manage my fires well and not to attract fires (also fire burns for less duration on a cruiser). So with the remaining 4 points, vigilance and expert loader was good value for me.

If you know even a single bit of how builds are done, explain me how any other skill would have been more useful for my play style (which you have no idea about). 

Go to the vid and skip to 18:14 because you always want to believe in "experienced players". I trust Flamu is experienced enough to certify it. 

Yes I do use most of those skills,    So do my friends.    As for  AFT  and   BFT  Even a Numbskull Potato like me knows they aren't just for  AA  Builds they also buff up secondary's(didn't think of that did you?)

Edited by shadowsrmine

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
2 hours ago, sansfaille said:

. And you have no idea which offensive or defensive skills they use and just speaking out of thin air. 

:Smile_great:Oh so  Now your a mind reader and prophet?  And  are aware of what people you don't even know nor what they're names are and wht they use??    Dude if so you need to get down to the store and buy out their Lottery Tickets  :Smile_sceptic::Smile_facepalm:

Edited by shadowsrmine

[AR15]
Members
393 posts
2,779 battles
2 hours ago, Crucis said:

I could see a German BB wanting to use Vigilance if they're constantly trying to push into the enemy.

problem is a german bb gets more utility out of SI then out of vigilance.   German BB has hydro which basicly does vigilance job, with SI you not only get an extra Hydro but an extra heal as well.   Unless you have unending torps being shot your way the uptime on hydro lasts long enough to do Vigilance job.  

WG needs to go through and rebalance a ton of modules/captain skills.   A lot of the skills just provide such low use that people just ignore them, I rather see almost every skill being useful to every type of ship making you want to chose and allowing for more varied builds.   Take for instance survival expert, the amount of health it gives a DD is decent, but a CA/BB should never bother taking it as it provides to low a boost vs other skills.   A simple solution is to make the skill add larger amount of HP per tier for CA/BB's like a T10 CA getting 10k hp and a T10 BB 15k instead of the current 4k or add a secondary utility like reduced fire and flooding chance by 3-5%, or restore X% more hull when using repair. 

The modules are an unholy mess in terms of utility.  Almost everyone takes main battery mod 1 for 1st one unless they are running a secondary build even then its questionable.  Most of the special modules are lack luster due to limited utility, same with the legendary ones, they gave some of them huge negatives and very little positives.  

• Cool 2

[5BS]
Members
4,477 posts
1 hour ago, vikingno2 said:

Vigilance stacks with hydro I believe, that can be useful.

It does. As does TAS1.  If you put the buffed Vigilance + Hydro +TAS1 on say a GK, you basically create a 6.5 km no fly zone for torps. You can actually detect the torps further than you can detect the ships. Meaning you can see the launches from invisible ships.

Edited by _RC1138

[5BS]
Members
4,477 posts
3 minutes ago, Captmuddxx_2018 said:

I have not seen a single instance where they are any better than any other!

The Royal Navy ones are. They get a boost to both EM and JoAT's (and SSE if that's your thing), both very useful on all but a few of their ships (EM is wasted on Mino for example). And given that they are very reliant (both BB's, CL's, and DD's) on a wide array of Cooldowns, the buff to JoAT's actually makes it worth taking.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles
27 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

It does. As does TAS1.  If you put the buffed Vigilance + Hydro +TAS1 on say a GK, you basically create a 6.5 km no fly zone for torps. You can actually detect the torps further than you can detect the ships. Meaning you can see the launches from invisible ships.

And here was I thinking the ideal use was on a Z-52? Possibly throwing RPF on top of all that for extra DD hunting potential. 

[5BS]
Members
4,477 posts
21 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

And here was I thinking the ideal use was on a Z-52? Possibly throwing RPF on top of all that for extra DD hunting potential. 

No, because Vigilance and TAS1 don't increase the range you spot ships, just torps. I mean TAS1 increases the GUARANTEED spot range from 2km to 3km, but that's probably not what you're looking for (especially since the Sonar on the Z-52 can already see ships past that distance) as it does not stack with sonar. So it can make the Z-52 a great screener, because it will push that spotted torp range out to 6.5 km, but just bear in mind you have to give up CSM1 to take TAS1 and for a DD that can be very dangerous. TAS1 makes sense on the GK and FdG because stealthiness is never going to be their strong suit and stacking with Sonar makes their already brawler style a bit safer.

Edited by _RC1138

[WOLFB]
Members
1,650 posts
8,027 battles

I use Vigilence and double rudder on my Henri and I can say it saved me a lot of HP. It's basically like having a passive hydro and it can totally negate DD torps strike if you already know where torps might come from. 

[5BS]
Members
4,477 posts

Personally, I only use Vigilance in two cases: ships that I maintain only for the T6/T7 Ops (where the bots have scary torp skills) and any hydro-equipped smoker like a few DD's and RN CL's, since I will spend time stopped in an obvious, toss a wall of torps here, spot, having that extra warning saves me often. Anything I play in open water like USN CA's or BB's, or DD hunting DD's, I don't generally use VI because it would rarely save me more than 1 or 2 torp hits. So for example right now I have the German Unique commander on the Bayrne to share him on the Scharnhorst when I play ops.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,743 posts
3,912 battles
16 minutes ago, _RC1138 said:

No, because Vigilance and TAS1 don't increase the range you spot ships, just torps. I mean TAS1 increases the GUARANTEED spot range from 2km to 3km, but that's probably not what you're looking for (especially since the Sonar on the Z-52 can already see ships past that distance) as it does not stack with sonar. So it can make the Z-52 a great screener, because it will push that spotted torp range out to 6.5 km, but just bear in mind you have to give up CSM1 to take TAS1 and for a DD that can be very dangerous.

Thank you for clarifying the particulars. Very educational and informative. I stand corrected.

[MIA-A]
Members
1,962 posts
6,549 battles

I run Vig on my Hindenburg. 

I don't have the special german captain with it since he's only 10 points still, though. If CVs were more popular I'd run AFT most likely, but they are pretty rare at TX right now on NA so I don't bother worrying.

image.thumb.png.c213eafc96f1edece397349c31676497.png

[SIDE]
Members
714 posts
3,132 battles

While I don't find Vig to be worth it most of the time. Improved vig on the best hydro ships in the game IS worth it. I have him set on my German Destroyer Captains. (Rotate between T61, Z39) and I'll honestly say it's worth it. When Hydro is up in my Z-39 my Hydro range is 4.72 KM for torpedoes. That's insane for a tier 7 ship. You pretty much shut down every japanese DD / Pan Asian DD when they are trying to torp the battleships behind you as you provide a massive 9.44 hydro bubble around your ship. 

I will say that I am extremely sad though that ONLY the german commander does not give Expert Marksman.... What gives War Gaming?

Edited by Merlox
  • Cool 1