Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
HyperFish

Retraining Captains

18 comments in this topic

[ANZAC]
[ANZAC]
Members
598 posts
5,024 battles

Hi guys.

I have an (almost) 14 point captain sitting in my Bismarck. I've just researched the F. Der Grosse.

If I move my 13.85 point captain out of Bismarck and into F. Der Grosse I'll have an incredibly painful grind to retrain him. I can cut that in half with credits, but don't want to spend the doubloons on immediate retraining. I have 3 options.

1) Just move him, and grind, grind, grind until he retrains and becomes useful.
2) Move him to F. Der Grosse, pay for the half retraining, them move him into my only German Premium (Tier II Emden) to complete retraining before I put him back.
3) Leave him in Bismarck, get a new captain for F. Der Grosse, grind him in Emden until he's level 10 (ie. minimum useful at tier IX) them move him across.

Does anyone have any suggestions on which would be best?

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles
3 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

Hi guys.

I have an (almost) 14 point captain sitting in my Bismarck. I've just researched the F. Der Grosse.

If I move my 13.85 point captain out of Bismarck and into F. Der Grosse I'll have an incredibly painful grind to retrain him. I can cut that in half with credits, but don't want to spend the doubloons on immediate retraining. I have 3 options.

2) Move him to F. Der Grosse, pay for the half retraining, them move him into my only German Premium (Tier II Emden) to complete retraining before I put him back.
3) Leave him in Bismarck, get a new captain for F. Der Grosse, grind him in Emden until he's level 10 (ie. minimum useful at tier IX) them move him across.

Seems like paying the 200k for half training and grinding on Emden would be shorter than grinding a new 10 pt captain.

[WOLFB]
Members
415 posts
3,620 battles

What about this: switch that 13 point Commander over, spend the 200,000 credits to cut retraining in half and then play Halloween Operations to get the 25,000 ECXP you need to retrain. With a full set of signals and special signals you can do that in just a few games. Like literally 2-4 games.

Edited by Jester_of_War

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles

Forgot another option. Buying the 10pt captain in the Arsenal for 35k coal, IF you don't already have him.

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles
1 minute ago, Jester_of_War said:

What about this: switch that 13 point Commander over, spend the 200,000 credits to cut retraining in half and then play Halloween Operations to get the 25,000 ECXP you need to retrain. With a full set of signals and special signals you can do that in just a few games. 

Good point and the Halloween Ops are here until early morning Wednesday, November 21st.

[WOLFB]
Members
415 posts
3,620 battles
3 minutes ago, Kizarvexis said:

Buying the 10pt captain in the Arsenal for 35k coal, IF you don't already have him.

You would still have to retrain that Commander from the Hermelin to the  F. Der Grosse for 25,000 XP (half that if you spend 200,000 credits).

Edited by Jester_of_War
  • Cool 1

[PVE]
Members
8,785 posts
7,234 battles
1 minute ago, Jester_of_War said:

You would still have to retrain that Commander from the Hermelin to the  F. Der Grosse

Yes, I forgot he comes trained for Hermlin.

[MORSV]
Beta Testers
203 posts
2,492 battles

Every captain point is precious for the FDG . You have to work twice as hard in it compared to almost any other ship to get the same results. If you do spend money on the game this might well be one of those times. Alternatively I am miserable in it and how much worse could 10 or so games retraining the captain be? (could be bad lol) 

Do the 200k retrain and take it out to see what you think and decide.

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
186 posts
4,103 battles

grind halloween event,   use elite exp to retrain??

[HINON]
Members
8,785 posts
32 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

What about this: switch that 13 point Commander over, spend the 200,000 credits to cut retraining in half and then play Halloween Operations to get the 25,000 ECXP you need to retrain. With a full set of signals and special signals you can do that in just a few games. Like literally 2-4 games.

This ^

[KRAK]
Members
911 posts
12,851 battles
56 minutes ago, HyperFish said:

Hi guys.

Pay the 200k to cut retraining in half then use captain exp to finish off the retraining. That is what I usually do.

[WOLF7]
Members
35 posts
2,273 battles
46 minutes ago, Jester_of_War said:

Agreed with the others.  This would be the way to go.  

If you're willing to take a little longer about the retraining you can take your new  F. Der Grosse into a bunch of co-op battles.  The XP is far less (about 1/3 or 1/4 what you would get winning a Random Battle) but it would help train *you* to run your shiny new ship in a fail-friendly environment.  Obviously you wouldn't want to waste flags or good camos on co-op battles.

It will also get you a leg up on the first daily chain mission which need  winning + 250, 500 and 1000 base XP to complete (who doesn't want a little more coal in their stocking?).  You almost always win a co-op battle and have to really screw up to get less than 250 base XP (though you also have to really rock to get 500 base XP).  

[BNKR]
[BNKR]
Members
157 posts
1,494 battles

It’s silly how much elite xp I’ve picked up just running the Sunray op to grind out the RN event directives. And I’ve not played much this past week. 

[WOLF9]
Members
1,013 posts
3 hours ago, HyperFish said:

Hi guys.

Yeah, option 4: Leave him on Bismark, grind out enough free xp and skip the FDG. It is like the Izumo, only  more flammable and less accurate.

[-WPG-]
Members
719 posts
3,110 battles
3 hours ago, vorlonagent said:

Agreed with the others.  This would be the way to go.  

If you're willing to take a little longer about the retraining you can take your new  F. Der Grosse into a bunch of co-op battles.  The XP is far less (about 1/3 or 1/4 what you would get winning a Random Battle) but it would help train *you* to run your shiny new ship in a fail-friendly environment.  Obviously you wouldn't want to waste flags or good camos on co-op battles.

It will also get you a leg up on the first daily chain mission which need  winning + 250, 500 and 1000 base XP to complete (who doesn't want a little more coal in their stocking?).  You almost always win a co-op battle and have to really screw up to get less than 250 base XP (though you also have to really rock to get 500 base XP).  

Hopefully he has a lot of credits, because playing a T9 in coop is basically guaranteed to lose 100k credits even with premium time. 

• Cool 2

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
372 posts
3,292 battles
6 hours ago, Jester_of_War said:

I vote for this.  I wish I was closer to Freddie so I can take advantage like that.  Nope, nope, nope.  I must pay the 200,000 and then grind, grind, grind.  Well, almost.  I purchased the Cossack ($23 worth of guineas) early to take advantage of her special missions in the Directives that earn 10k elite xp each.  I have over 100k with more to get.  I still had some left over from the US Cruiser split.

Edited by Captain_Slattery

[DNTZ]
Members
197 posts
11,162 battles

Just remember the GK is worth every bit of pain you suffer in the Fat Freddy.

I love the Bismarck and GK!  I absolutely hated the Freddy.

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
573 posts
4,509 battles

You can do the 200k to halve the retraining effort. If you had elite XP banked from rewards (Clan Battles, campaigns, etc) you can then also use that to retrain a captain.

If you are not keen on taking in a captain into T9, perhaps try co-op for the leveling aspect until the captain skills up?

Emden would take too long as well at T2.

Sign in to follow this