You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
BlailBlerg

The problem with Ranked is players not given time to learn: Create a practice pre-season mode in that tier?

33 comments in this topic

[FAE]
Members
2,120 posts
2,510 battles

The T5 ranked has been decent, and its definitely shown some newer players what ranked and strategic play should look like... but why not take this a step further, and give players the ability to actually practice for an upcoming rank season? 

Before the ranked season begins, have a practice mode that is limited to only that tier, with the ranked maps, except the rewards are the same as randoms only. (no extra rewards). 

Realistically, any teaching or coach will tell you you also need feedback to learn, and sadly the game does not support this. WG is unlikely to do this, but what would be even better is some way of being able to see more clearly what lost the team a match, or provide like listed options for people to give other players feedback on. 

The game's fundamental issue is that there is no supported way for players to learn any sort of strategy other than aim better. And a large number of players (even those above 50%) are limited literally to only the strategy of aiming better. Hint. That's not strategic thinking. 

• Cool 2
  • Boring 2
  • Bad 3

[SALVO]
Members
16,618 posts
17,291 battles
6 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

The T5 ranked has been decent, and its definitely shown some newer players what ranked and strategic play should look like... but why not take this a step further, and give players the ability to actually practice for an upcoming rank season? 

Before the ranked season begins, have a practice mode that is limited to only that tier, with the ranked maps, except the rewards are the same as randoms only. (no extra rewards). 

Realistically, any teaching or coach will tell you you also need feedback to learn, and sadly the game does not support this. WG is unlikely to do this, but what would be even better is some way of being able to see more clearly what lost the team a match, or provide like listed options for people to give other players feedback on. 

The game's fundamental issue is that there is no supported way for players to learn any sort of strategy other than aim better. And a large number of players (even those above 50%) are limited literally to only the strategy of aiming better. Hint. That's not strategic thinking. 

Sure there is.  It's called gaining experience through playing.  

• Cool 4

Members
1,547 posts
9,804 battles

You're being too kind. There's a lot more problems with Ranked.

Members
1,690 posts
7,230 battles

The real “problem” is that ranked is not designed to cater average players due to its competitive nature.  Meaning that vast majority of players will struggle with any competitive mode due to number of losses closely matching number of wins.

[INTEL]
Members
8,429 posts
25,290 battles

That's a really interesting idea. Is a whole new mode really necessary? Perhaps the Ranked battle screen could remind players to search Youtube and watch Twitch streamers to get an idea of what to do. Or when you select Ranked, you get a reminder from WG to do that, with links to resources, for the first couple of Ranks. 

[WOLF1]
Beta Testers
6,092 posts
9,193 battles

The first time you play Ranked prepares you for the next time you play ranked. Nothing in this game is particularly hard. It is a first person shooter in slow motion. No need for a training session beyond what the game gives you naturally.

• Cool 1

[KRAK]
Members
938 posts
13,007 battles
39 minutes ago, BlailBlerg said:

Umm randoms "prepare" you  for everything you will encounter in any mode.

• Cool 3

Members
2,748 posts
6,242 battles

There's nothing wrong with ranked. You know the rules period, who choose to join you accept all the crap that comes with it. We are all captains sailing ships of various types and each one of us in our daily lives like to think we are that captain.. Load your ship up and go out and fight.

[SYN]
[SYN]
Members
1,322 posts
14,695 battles

I think you are all being a bit hard on the OP.  Several have commented in the past it would be nice to have a playmode with the smaller teamsizes.  I think it would be heavily used it it were available.

Edited by Warped_1

Members
587 posts

The reply ( though it was awhile ago ) was that there is a fixed cost per. game.    Running smaller matches was not cost efficient.  That said perhaps changes have occurred.    A lot of positive feedback about Ranked Sprint was sent in so I suspect we will see more of that format.  

I don't remember the last time there were multiple "Great Job" Wows threads.   There was also a one on one game proposed.  The thought was that it might be able to replace the smartphone based version.   Also by playing many one on one engagements newish players could get better.  

Lots of ideas but small team sizes at least one to two years ago were an issue for WOWS.   Hopefully that has changed. 

[DS-DL]
Members
74 posts
3 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

That last bit is a HUGE compute bill to automate, and just another source of MM like frustration, hence why WG is unlikely to put a toe in such troubled waters.

Frankly, the battle I just finished, I wish I had been not driving, just giving orders, and determining who got what for experience, If I can't courts martial the <expletive <censored> deleted> camping BB driver who can't snipe, and picks the stronger target instead of the one he could put on the bottom, three consecutive opportunities in a row...then he's not getting any reward at all. In fact, I'd like to take some of what he has, and distribute it among everyone else who died to gain a wining position, that this tool could have converted into a win by closing and sinking an inferior BB...instead we lose the match. 

[KP]
Beta Testers
1,700 posts
11,112 battles

The one thing t5 ranked gives the new comers it there is no up tiered matches, so they should enjoy doing it regardless.

Edited by CriMiNaL__

[LUCK]
Members
1,276 posts
19,024 battles
7 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

I think this is exactly the intent of the ranked sprint: A low tier, low reward training wheel mode for ranked.

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles

I've never cared how other people perform. Now that I think about it, it's likely that I'd prefer it if other players were even more unskilled. It would be easier for me to do well. Ufufu!

Edited by Hiroe

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,320 posts
2 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

I've never cared how other people perform. Now that I think about it, it's likely that I'd prefer it if other players were even more unskilled. It would be easier for me to do well. Ufufu!

Odd, I don't think we asked about your opinions on performance

• Boring 2

Members
5,579 posts
3,952 battles
1 minute ago, Chobittsu said:

Odd, I don't think we asked about your opinions on performance

Odd, I don't think I asked for some rando's opinion on my opinion.

• Funny 2

[SOUP]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
7,320 posts
2 minutes ago, Hiroe said:

Odd, I don't think I asked for some rando's opinion on my opinion.

large.jpg

7 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

It's unlikely we'll get a "practice mode", just consider it to be regular battles but REALLY salty

Members
899 posts
6,929 battles

I thought ranked sprint was the practice mode or at least that's what I used it as. I knew I could have ranked out quickly with a DD but instead I played BB to get better with them. Unfortunately I found out konig is not the ship for me.

[VW]
Members
1,832 posts
12,276 battles
8 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Its called randoms.

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,775 posts
12,891 battles

The first several ranks are unrevocable, and a first subset you can't even lose a star.  This is basically the practice ground.  In fact, this is why WG makes veteran player skip a certain number or ranks based on prior rank.  

This also lowers the barrier for players who might otherwise shy away from ranked.  I tell all players to give it a go.  There really is no downside to the early ranks.  Can't lose a star.  Can't lose a rank.  Get good stuff.  Can't hurt the team in terms of causing anyone to go backwards, which is often the concern of newbie players.  Sure, one might derp badly...and maybe feel like the cause of a loss.  No big deal.  No lost rank.  No lost star.

WG slowly brings in the negative effect.  First, losing star, but not a rank.  Then..eventually comes the ability to lose rank. But it's all rolled out slowly...very newbie friendly. 

• Cool 1

[FAE]
Members
2,120 posts
2,510 battles
1 hour ago, Soshi_Sone said:

The first several ranks are unrevocable, and a first subset you can't even lose a star.  This is basically the practice ground.  In fact, this is why WG makes veteran player skip a certain number or ranks based on prior rank.  

This also lowers the barrier for players who might otherwise shy away from ranked.  I tell all players to give it a go.  There really is no downside to the early ranks.  Can't lose a star.  Can't lose a rank.  Get good stuff.  Can't hurt the team in terms of causing anyone to go backwards, which is often the concern of newbie players.  Sure, one might derp badly...and maybe feel like the cause of a loss.  No big deal.  No lost rank.  No lost star.

WG slowly brings in the negative effect.  First, losing star, but not a rank.  Then..eventually comes the ability to lose rank. But it's all rolled out slowly...very newbie friendly. 

Honestly it is. My problem is how some players don't seem to have a clue. 

[TF_34]
[TF_34]
Members
934 posts
6,308 battles
19 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Problem with all of WG's titles. The game doesn't teach you how to play. You either figure it out through the school of hard knocks or you get fed up with losing so often and go play something else. 

[CNO]
[CNO]
Members
3,775 posts
12,891 battles
4 hours ago, BlailBlerg said:

Honestly it is. My problem is how some players don't seem to have a clue. 

LOL....my first game of counterstrike as the Terrorist was the guy with the bomb.  But I didn't know about the bomb...or the guy's job...so I just ran around shooting the other team....all the while my team yelling at me with all sorts of salt.  Talk about not having a clue.  So...I"m pretty lenient with players who don't have a clue....in the early tiers....or the early echelons of ranked. 

• Cool 1