Sign in to follow this  
You need to play a total of 10 battles to post in this section.
AMajor

Help with Nicholas in Ranked Sprint

8 comments in this topic

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,785 battles

Would like some constructive criticism in playing the Nicholas in Ranked Sprint.  I would like to both win AND get more than 25K damage.  I don't seem to be able to do both in the same game.  In my latest game, I ended up capturing all 3 caps, put a few fish in a BB, did damage to some dds, basically played my role, but only 25K on points.  The previous game I was more aggressive (65K damage) but my team lost.

Right now, I'm stuck at 5 because I can't seem to play consistently.  Any advice, tactics, etc. would be appreciated.  Right now my Nick captain is a 13.

[WOLF9]
Members
27 posts
3,298 battles

I’m not a DD main (CA/L), so hopefully more experienced players speak.  I did play my T-22 to Rank 5 and my experience was as follows:  If you want to rank out, don’t worry about your damage numbers.  Focus on hunting DD’s with care, securing caps and spotting for your team. 

[KILL]
Members
47 posts
6,631 battles

I would agree with Purple, dmg is nice but doesn't guarantee the win.  Also in the push to do high dmg you might do some things that don't help the team (e.g spotting and stuff like that).  Focus on giving your team the advantage: spotting targets, capping stuff like that.  If some big juicy BB is coming right at you and torping is the the right thing then by all means go torp.  Be in front of you team's ships as they push: you can spot and dodge torps more easily than they can, it will give them confidence to follow you.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,785 battles

Attached is replay of my latest game.  This is one of the few games where I got over 50K AND won.  Tell me what you think.  BEcause the Nick's torps have a shorter range than her detection, I struggle a bit when in open water.

20181030_192608_PASD014-Leader-1919_08_NE_passage.wowsreplay

[KILL]
Members
47 posts
6,631 battles

Unfortunately I can't review your replay (won't load for whatever reason).  If you post to youtube or similar I can take a look.  FYI i'm a decent DD player not a super unicum or anything.

Members
1,616 posts
9,711 battles

@AMajor  He you go man.

The play style breaks down into two phases IMO.  The first phase is all about winning the vision war.  This is done by killing or crippling enemy DDs which denys or restricts sight for the enemy.  Achieving this forces enemy ships out of sheltered firing positions and eliminates most of the smoke plays that enemy DDs can make against your team.  At the same time you want to deny vision to the enemy by smoking up ships in strong positions to let them shoot spotted enemy ships while they remain fairly safe concealed by your smoke screens.

Once vision control is achieved its pretty easy to roll back any forces preventing or contesting a cap.  Once you hold the majority of caps you are in a position that forces the enemy to make a play to try to save the game.  By keeping the enemy spotted you can position yourself in front of the push and drop torps from stealth at advancing ships.  Using both sides of torps on your ship can produce full duration flooding, or allow you to torp multiple ships as I do in my videos.

Dont forget to use your guns to finish low HP targets, or to inflict further damage on a ship that DCP.  Doing this you can either smoke yourself if spotting is assured, or use an island as cover and be ready to duck into safety once you get targeted.

[DBM]
Members
345 posts
3,785 battles
16 hours ago, Destroyer_KuroshioKai said:

He you go man

If you don't mind me saying so, you sound terrible.  Time to stop playing WOWs and take care of that nasty cough that you have.

We'll all still be here when you get feeling better.

Members
1,616 posts
9,711 battles
1 hour ago, AMajor said:

If you don't mind me saying so, you sound terrible.  Time to stop playing WOWs and take care of that nasty cough that you have.

We'll all still be here when you get feeling better.

Tide and time wait for no man.

I'm not that sick, just too much yelling at the Dinosaurs to stop tearing down the blinds in the new place blew my throat out. 

Also watch @Mejash stream.  He's running Nicholas a lot for ranked and plays well.

https://www.twitch.tv/mejash

Edited by Destroyer_KuroshioKai

Sign in to follow this