You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Tanuvein

Are there really not enough cv players?

72 comments in this topic

Members
100 posts
845 battles

I'm just wondering. In my experience (and I've only recently started seeing t10 matches and only about 50ish t9s), there does not seem to be a shortage of people playing carriers. Whenever I play from t4-7 as a CV,  I find games as quickly as when I play other ships, primarily cruisers and bbs. I also find 1 cv in every other game or so as those other ships. Sure, this isn't a lot in terms of a market focus, but I don't think in any form CVs should make up more than two spots. They would be over represented and it would remove the combat focus from the main line as carrier stealth attacks will become more important, and frankly with the current interface the information about all the aircraft would become distracting and perhaps visually overwhelming in its current mass plane form, or overly annoying and perhaps unbalancing in the proposed form because of the ability to literally have nonstop air attacks on a particular target. 

While I was leveling up the two t4 and 5 cvs (Bogue is still my overall favorite because of its focus), there seemed to be plenty of other new players enjoying the ship type and we even shared tips. I haven't had an opportunity to talk much at the other tiers as I'm still refining my timing on the manual stuff. It's an undeveloped thought, but perhaps instead of expanding the cv player base they should merely refocus the cvs on catering to a smaller market group, with slower development time on premiums and new lines to compensate for this smaller group?

[NG-NL]
Members
4,961 posts
8,109 battles

Playing those same tiers in my DDs, BBs, and CRs, CVs are extremely rare. 1/6 matches will have a CV, on a lucky day.

[NGA-B]
Alpha Tester
9,361 posts
3,646 battles

....OP doesn't realize that when queuing for a match in a CV you are automatically paired against at least one enemy CV?

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,497 posts
6,657 battles
5 minutes ago, J30_Reinhardt said:

....OP doesn't realize that when queuing for a match in a CV you are automatically paired against at least one enemy CV?

The OP does. But the OP is correct, froma CV players perspective, we have few if any problems, finding a random battle within 3 minutes of queue time (less than a minute at primetime), at all tiers of CV. Of course there can be slow days (Monday 11 am UTC NA server, very little chance of a battle for tier 10 cvs). Whatever has been said by WG reps on this topic, they have not been square/straight with the truth.

It is true, as WG reps have stated, that active CV players are minority of all registered accounts, but then again, WG does not publish the fact that it is also true that all active WOWS players, are a minority of registered accounts (<20%). So there are lies, more lies, and statistics telling only half the story, trying to sell this rework.

• Cool 1

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,167 posts
8,785 battles
19 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

The OP does. But the OP is correct, froma CV players perspective, we have few if any problems, finding a random battle within 3 minutes of queue time (less than a minute at primetime), at all tiers of CV. Of course there can be slow days (Monday 11 am UTC NA server, very little chance of a battle for tier 10 cvs). Whatever has been said by WG reps on this topic, they have not been square/straight with the truth.

It is true, as WG reps have stated, that active CV players are minority of all registered accounts, but then again, WG does not publish the fact that it is also true that all active WOWS players, are a minority of registered accounts (<20%). So there are lies, more lies, and statistics telling only half the story, trying to sell this rework.

All true but the fact that you only see a CV in the tier 8 - 10 range about every four or five matches demonstrates their rareness, so rare that specing for AA is a waste of points.

[RAZE]
Alpha Tester
186 posts
4,127 battles

theres plenty of them,  but good cv player usually make other player sad LOL

so "not so good cv player" just give up

Members
287 posts
5,030 battles
1 minute ago, BrushWolf said:

All true but the fact that you only see a CV in the tier 8 - 10 range about every four or five matches demonstrates their rareness, so rare that specing for AA is a waste of points.

Every four or five matches?

More like one in ten.

Cries in Des Moines / Gearing / Groz / Kidd with nothing to shoot at

[GWG]
[GWG]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
15,167 posts
8,785 battles
Just now, The_Painted_Target said:

Every four or five matches?

More like one in ten.

Cries in Des Moines / Gearing / Groz / Kidd with nothing to shoot at

Details, either one isn't enough to justify specing for AA.

Members
364 posts
688 battles
47 minutes ago, Reymu said:

Playing those same tiers in my DDs, BBs, and CRs, CVs are extremely rare. 1/6 matches will have a CV, on a lucky day.

I know.. isn't it great.  This game is so much better with out CVs in it.

• Cool 3
  • Funny 1
  • Bad 3

Members
287 posts
5,030 battles
1 minute ago, JonnyFreedom said:

This sounds something like what an average BB player would say!

Reviews player statistics

This is exactly what an average BB player would say... with very few CV games! Almost 1/3rd of your battles are in a Yamato, and you only have ~640 games. Wallet warrior much?

Is there not a single person on this forum who complains about CVs that actually plays them, or are the whiners all people who barely touch the class and then conclude it's OP because they have zero clue how to play against them.

• Cool 3
  • Bad 2

[S-N-D]
Members
1,588 posts
5,532 battles
40 minutes ago, LoveBote said:

Sadly you believe 3 minutes is okay when the others are instant to 30 seconds.

[S-N-D]
Members
1,588 posts
5,532 battles
17 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

Get your condescending smug in now because when the update goes live you will find CVs in every match. Once the premium sales start you will not be able to reverse it. The amusing part is nothing makes a sexier target than a Yamato. Enjoy.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Boring 1

[FAE]
Members
2,120 posts
2,524 battles
3 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Get your condescending smug in now because when the update goes live you will find CVs in every match. Once the premium sales start you will not be able to reverse it. The amusing part is nothing makes a sexier target than a Yamato. Enjoy.

I still dunno why people have a problem with this. Its not like the real life Yamato AND Musashi were not both swarmed by planes and sunk. Yeah, they would've been great against surface targets... 

[-K-]
[-K-]
Members
579 posts
4,556 battles

High tier CVs are great when they are there, but they can be hard work for the CV. 

Engage enemy CV, sink ships, spot, etc. Then its mostly the CVs fault for things, more so if there is no CV in a game! :)

It can be fun, but I personally don't play them at the moment. If you have T10 CVs though and yours isn't that great and the opposing teams is an awesome one, its not like T4 where you can carry through via  a ship, most times at T10 the CV will stomp you for the win.

I have high hopes for the new CV re-work to balance the high end meta and make this an enjoyable class for all.

[S-N-D]
Members
1,588 posts
5,532 battles
12 minutes ago, _greifer said:

High tier CVs are great when they are there, but they can be hard work for the CV. 

Engage enemy CV, sink ships, spot, etc. Then its mostly the CVs fault for things, more so if there is no CV in a game! :)

It can be fun, but I personally don't play them at the moment. If you have T10 CVs though and yours isn't that great and the opposing teams is an awesome one, its not like T4 where you can carry through via  a ship, most times at T10 the CV will stomp you for the win.

I have high hopes for the new CV re-work to balance the high end meta and make this an enjoyable class for all.

My stats in t10 CV are bad but for the wrong reasons. I know how to win in CV. The problem is having to do that detracts from the part that made me become a CV main. To win in CV games requires you to keep a finger on your keys to control fighters, constantly scouting and threatening the enemy CVs strikes and blocking DD paths to flank and get behind the team. The problem is that it hinders focus and accuracy on offense for pittance in reward and no recognition. We used to be able to click and forget fighter defense for the most so it wasn't too much of a hindrance but strafe changed that.

This is why I am 100% behind the update. I always loved the zoomed view for attacks and now I don't have to babysit other players. You died to the enemy CV? Yeah, that's your issue now.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Boring 1

Members
17,786 posts
5,084 battles
1 hour ago, Tanuvein said:

I'm just wondering. In my experience (and I've only recently started seeing t10 matches and only about 50ish t9s), there does not seem to be a shortage of people playing carriers. Whenever I play from t4-7 as a CV,  I find games as quickly as when I play other ships, primarily cruisers and bbs. 

For the high-tier matches, look how many CVs are in the queue vs. other type ships. Also, T10 CVs are where you get the most "dump" matches.

For T4-7, they aren't short enough that you spend extra time in queue, but keep in mind, for every match you're in, there's probably 5-6 matches starting without CVs.

And from a gameplay standpoint, as long as every CV player can get into a game reasonably quickly, there is no shortage.

Where there is a shortage is behind the scenes. CVs take as much effort as any other ship to develop, and a certain return is expected from them. With a lot fewer players playing CVs, premiums see less return on the time investment.

Also, the release of new content spurs the game on. There is only so much content, and if hardly anyone wants that new content, it doesn't really provide an impetus for renewed interest in regular players.

[SBS]
Members
2,420 posts
2,253 battles
Just now, The_Painted_Target said:

Is there not a single person on this forum who complains about CVs that actually plays them, or are the whiners all people who barely touch the class and then conclude it's OP because they have zero clue how to play against them.

You might want to put away the smug attitude because there are real problems with CVs.  WG wouldn't have spent millions of dollars to fix them if there wasn't.  

• Bad 1

[CMFRT]
[CMFRT]
Members
1,790 posts

There are as many CV players as there needs to be.

And that number is the number of players who want to play them.

There needs to be less concern about other players' "badwrongfun".

[KRAK]
Members
941 posts
13,026 battles
31 minutes ago, JonnyFreedom said:

No it isn't. 

[KRAK]
Members
941 posts
13,026 battles
2 minutes ago, Slimeball91 said:

You might want to put away the smug attitude because there are real problems with CVs.  WG wouldn't have spent millions of dollars to fix them if there wasn't.  

It cost Millions to fix a balance issue?

Members
364 posts
688 battles
31 minutes ago, The_Painted_Target said:

This sounds something like what an average BB player would say!

Reviews player statistics

This is exactly what an average BB player would say... with very few CV games! Almost 1/3rd of your battles are in a Yamato, and you only have ~640 games. Wallet warrior much?

Should we talk about the fact your highest BB is T8?  Perhaps we should talk about the fact the only ships you really ever play have high AA?  Maybe we should talk about how you are an expert in a BB?  I mean, considering the only BB you actually play is your P2W Scharnhorst, that has some of the best AA for a BB at that tier? 

Your Battleship stats:

image.thumb.png.dd6491c05ff652e25bccea1d78efda21.png

You want to talk about CV woes.. go play something that doesn't have amazing AA like you always do, you P2W seal clubber.

Edited by JonnyFreedom
  • Bad 1

[S-N-D]
Members
1,588 posts
5,532 battles
1 minute ago, JonnyFreedom said:

Naw dude.  American Express does not care.  Services Paid for not as described.  Game changes, I have a valid complaint.

Yeah, you're clueless. Services are handled in a different manner than items not significantly as described. But carry on because your lamentations are amusing.

Edited by _Caliph_
  • Cool 1
  • Funny 1

[-Y-]
Alpha Tester
4,497 posts
6,657 battles
24 minutes ago, _Caliph_ said:

Sadly you believe 3 minutes is okay when the others are instant to 30 seconds.

why is that sad? I hate it when people spam the battle button. In fact I'd like to see a 3 minute obligatory cooldown between battles. Average quality of gameplay would shoot up.

[S-N-D]
Members
1,588 posts
5,532 battles
Just now, LoveBote said:

why is that sad? I hate it when people spam the battle button. In fact I'd like to see a 3 minute obligatory cooldown between battles. Average quality of gameplay would shoot up.

:Smile_unsure: