RightYouAreKen

Tales of Nuclear Cruiser USS Long Beach

11 comments in this topic

[-K-]
Members
1,067 posts
7,118 battles

Apologies if this has been posted before.  I did a few searches and didn't see it posted yet.  Interesting article about the first nuclear powered surface ship built, from a sailor who served on her for a long time.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24298/tales-of-nuclear-cruiser-uss-long-beach-from-a-sailor-who-built-his-career-aboard-her 

message-editor%252F1539893151936-uss_lon

Edited by RightYouAreKen
  • Cool 5

[--V--]
Members
482 posts
10,633 battles

Very interesting ship.  Was on board her for a day in S. Korea swapping engineering parts.

• Cool 1

[RST]
Members
325 posts
6,718 battles

Impressive ship.  Never stepped aboard her but we did conduct some exercises in concert with her.  Big cruiser.

Edited by groomsiebelle
  • Cool 1

[-K-]
Members
1,067 posts
7,118 battles

Glad you guys liked it.  Very cool that a few of you have actual first hand interaction with her! 

Supposedly there is a part 2 article coming up soon.  I'll keep an eye out and post it when I see it.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,602 posts
14,017 battles

I remember as a kid my Dad got me a model kit of her.  Very unusual looking ship, even with today's standards.  I remember thinking, "Where's all the guns?"  I had completed kits of USS North Carolina, New Jersey (modernized), and Arizona.  Where were the guns on Long Beach? :Smile_Default:  But hey, at least she had some cool little missile launchers.

Members
19 posts
3,283 battles
5 hours ago, RightYouAreKen said:

Apologies if this has been posted before.  I did a few searches and didn't see it posted yet.  Interesting article about the first nuclear powered surface ship built, from a sailor who served on her for a long time.

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/24298/tales-of-nuclear-cruiser-uss-long-beach-from-a-sailor-who-built-his-career-aboard-her 

message-editor%252F1539893151936-uss_lon

Thanks for sharing.  It was very interesting, especially the part about accidentally rolling a Victor III sub 360 degrees!

[RST]
Members
325 posts
6,718 battles
15 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I remember as a kid my Dad got me a model kit of her.  Very unusual looking ship, even with today's standards.  I remember thinking, "Where's all the guns?"  I had completed kits of USS North Carolina, New Jersey (modernized), and Arizona.  Where were the guns on Long Beach? :Smile_Default:  But hey, at least she had some cool little missile launchers.

Was that the model you could remove a section and see the reactors (or what the model depiction of the reactors looked like)?  I did that one too, had the reactor all painted up and left it unglued so I could lift it out. 

[REVY]
Members
936 posts
7,294 battles
16 hours ago, HazeGrayUnderway said:

I remember thinking, "Where's all the guns?"  I had completed kits of USS North Carolina, New Jersey (modernized), and Arizona.  Where were the guns on Long Beach?

Depending on when the Model company made the kit, they might have based the kit off of the 'original' design of the Long Beach, which had no guns.

It eventually got 2 5in turrets that look like they were taken off a Fletcher.