You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
Ensign_Cthulhu

Random Thoughts from Deep R'lyeh: Premium Containers

1 comment in this topic

[ARGSY]
Members
5,866 posts
4,001 battles

The key to deciding whether to buy these is to look at the content they offer and ask yourself:

"What is the least-value option this container offers?"

and

"Is it worth that much to me?"

This avoids disappointment if you don't end up getting the Big Thing it potentially offers. So let's take a look at the Halloween containers and the contents they could potentially provide, i.e. any one of:

• 15x Type 3–Halloween camo
  • 15x Halloween camo
  • 15x Storm Wind camo
  • 15x Restless Fire camo
  • 15x Blue Lagoon camo
  • 25,000 Free XP
  • 2,500 doubloons
  • Special permanent camouflage for destroyer Wakatake—Blade
  • Special permanent camouflage for battleship Nassau—Jackal
  • Special permanent camouflage for cruiser St.Louis—Igor
  • Special permanent camouflage for destroyer Kagero—Urashima
  • Special permanent camouflage for cruiser Chapayev—Svyatozar
  • Special permanent camouflage for battleship Tirpitz—Magnu-S
  • Special permanent camouflage for aircraft carrier Lexington—Nobilium
  • Special permanent camouflage for destroyer Benson—Ghoul
  • Special permanent camouflage for cruiser Charles Martel—Scarab
  • Special permanent camouflage for battleship Bismarck—Varg
  • Special permanent camouflage for aircraft carrier Shokaku—The Great Gorgon
  • Special permanent camouflage for battleship North Carolina—Leviathan—and a Combat Mission for Commander Max Strauss with 10 skill points
  • Special permanent camouflage for destroyer Kiev—Razorworm—and a Combat Mission for Commander Boris Veber with 10 skill points
  • Special permanent camouflage for destroyer Z-23—Steel Rat—and a Combat Mission for Commander James D. Breese with 10 skill points
  • Animated permanent camouflage for cruiser Mogami—Octopus—and a Combat Mission for Commander David Jones with 10 skill points.

In the case of the Halloween premium containers, I would be prepared to walk away with 15 premium expendable camos for $3.78 CDN if I failed to get a special camo I wanted. Most of the other special camos would potentially encourage me to grind for the ship they're on (or repurchase it in the case of the St Louis). The exceptions are the Lexington and the Shokaku, Tier VIII carriers. In the current RTS environment (which is what we will default to if the rework fails), I can't seriously see myself ever getting up to these because my carrier play just isn't good enough to take to Randoms and the grind in co-op would be endless. The Rework might change things. Until then, these camos would be worth no more than promissory notes that were never cashed in.

Let's compare against the other current container, the Great Eight. This will set me back $6.30 CDN, and I have to decide whether this is worth the guaranteed content of 

• 10x expendable Victorious camo
  • 10 special signals of the same type (Dragon, Wyvern, Red Dragon, Ouroboros, Hydra, Leviathan, Basilisk, or Scylla)
  • Item of the Great Eight collection

plus the chance at a ship, one of

North Carolina, Chapayev, Scharnhorst, Alabama, Duca degli Abruzzi, and Leningrad together with standard Commanders with three skill points and Port slots

a special US/RU 15 point commander, or a fancy premium camo for the Lexington.

But ultimately it comes down to whether $6.30 CDN is worth ten expendable camos and ten dragon flags, because the collection items are eventually all going to drop in standard containers anyway.

SO... you pay your money and you take your chances. But depending on what you already have (e.g. a Bismarck with free permacamo from the collection you completed with free coal), what you get might be worth nothing more than what you had before you started. Choose accordingly, and spill no salt if RNGesus goes in hard with no lube.