You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
James_lairanar

Need help with Yamato.

12 comments in this topic

[D00M]
Beta Testers
95 posts
2,364 battles

So I have had the yamato for around 60 games and I can't figure out her shell flight time. It seems like the flight time indicator doesn't give an accurate flight time. I use the dynamic sights and I will aim at a broadside bb doing full speed line up the shot and it will land way early. What am I doing wrong?

[PVE]
Members
491 posts
4,060 battles

Are you sure it's going full speed? It could be running at 3/4 speed, sometimes it is hard to tell. Some players will hit the breaks when they get shot at as well.

[WOLFB]
Members
2,570 posts
4,943 battles

Some players are really good at messing with there speed enough that you can’t trust the smile stack. I try to see how fast they are compared to other ships. Also no need to worry sometimes we all have bad luck hitting things. 

• Cool 1

[REVY]
Members
935 posts
7,266 battles

Some also have the captain skill that gives them warning of incoming fire. Given the range of Yamato's guns, and also given you were dark before firing, you were probably out far enough that they received the warning and had time to change course.

Yamato is an interesting ship and has a bit of a learning curve to her. I first sailed her as a Corgi and was just surprised by the slowness of the turret rotation and also the flight time of the shells. It is just a matter of taking the time to sail and get used to her. I got my Musashi before I got my Yamato, thus I've been able to rack up a few more battles using those 18in guns and getting used to them.

[O_O]
Members
763 posts
4,725 battles

Keep in mind that at extreme range, just a little change in target angle can and does change the lead required.  This is the (very generic for simplicity) geometry for which your dynamic sites are solving:

1595478273_GFCEquation.png.bd3694f8527b5856edf0a043ab734145.png

Not to scale or accurate angles!  Also remember that a ship traveling "30KPH" in the game is actually travelling something between 60 and 90KPH in real time.

In any case, your whole picture is based on a target travelling parallel to the horizontal at a very specific speed, and your ship at a dead stop.  The minute you move, the target ship's relative velocity vector changes.  Their relative velocity is what you're really trying to solve for here, not their actual, geographic speed or heading.  If they turn left or right of 90º, you're going to have to elevate (<90º) or depress (>90º) your aim point and slightly *ahem* reduce *ahem* your lead. (Thank you, oh automated decency overlords for editing out my technical terminology which might offend.  Perish the thought.)

From what I understand, each crosshair is scaled to some base shell velocity that's assigned to each ship.  This has caused problems in the past, in particular with York who had very different AP and HE velocities.  Honestly, I kind of liked the extra challenge... but y'know... mass market appeal.

This is actually the first I've heard of Yamato experiencing problems with its lead, but I am pretty well stalled with Amagi and devoting my attention elsewhere these days.  Can't say first hand.

Hopefully all of this TLDR helps a little, even if you DR.

-R

Edited by Mister_Rawr
Rly? Yus, rly.

Beta Testers
1,352 posts

Tip: Remember the guns are aimed based only on the gun you are currenty viewing from. If its the nose gun then where you aim it, the other guns will splash in the water in the same alignment as your ship is when it fires relative to target. 

That means if your Yamato is angled 40 degrees to the right (if nose was pointing north to begin with) and you are firing on a target that is aligned fully on the X axis about 20kms NNW of you...

... then your guns will land this way:'

Nose gun: Where you aimed

Gun behind the nose gun: about 10m short of target

Tail Gun: About 50m short of target. 

..you get the idea. 

Its best to fire one gun at a time, using the hotkey to switch view and aim+fire each one. 

[PNG]
Supertester
5,651 posts
6,455 battles

The optimal engagement range for a Yamato is in the 12km to 18km sweet spot. Closer targets will be easier to hit, but suffer the anti-brawling dispersion IJN is famous for, and further targets can easily negate strong hits by slight course corrections.

[D00M]
Beta Testers
95 posts
2,364 battles
11 hours ago, Compassghost said:

The optimal engagement range for a Yamato is in the 12km to 18km sweet spot. Closer targets will be easier to hit, but suffer the anti-brawling dispersion IJN is famous for, and further targets can easily negate strong hits by slight course corrections.

I try to stay at a 10km to 15km do to my own rng being awful. If you could see how my dice roll well gaming you would understand. :)

Members
5,570 posts
3,925 battles

Just keep trying. You'll eventually figure it out. Life is mostly trial and error.

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,536 posts
13,977 battles

I noticed you have a lot of time with Massachusetts, OP.  If you're flipping between her and Yamato, it may spoil the aiming you need to do with Yamato.  Ships with high arcing, low velocity shells like USN BBs and Cruisers require a lot of leading compared to their peers.  It's a possibility you've gotten used to that with Mass.  This is key when targets maneuver and change speeds.  With USN BBs you may need to lead a lot more.  With Yamato, you don't really need to.

I had massive problems with Yamato when I first got her.  Among them was my aim.  Dispersion is awesome, that wasn't the problem.  But my aim was so bad that the 460s were a waste on a player like me at the time.  Stick to playing with Yamato for a while and learn to live with how the guns behave.  Training Room, Co-op won't teach you because the targets don't maneuver like players as if their life depended on it.  The only way you're going to get good is practice against actual players, and getting used to how the ship's guns behave.