You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
evilleMonkeigh

Great 8 Premium Crates "certain probability" of missions or not?

34 comments in this topic

[TF57]
Members
1,238 posts
3,920 battles

From the store page. The crates seem pricey, but if this is true

In addition to these rewards, opening this container comes with a certain probability of gaining access to one of three special Combat Missions, available for completion until November 9. For completing these missions you will be rewarded with the following:

• One of the following ships: researchable North Carolina or Chapayev, Premium ships Scharnhorst, Alabama, Duca degli Abruzzi, or Leningrad.
  • Unique camouflage for aircraft carrier Lexington.
  • Unique dual-nation Commander Alexander Ovechkin, who can be assigned to both Soviet and U.S.A. ships. This Commander features two original voiceovers from the celebrated ice hockey player, enhanced Commander skills Expert Marksman and Survivability Expert, and blue colored shell tracers. The Commander comes with 15 skill points and specialization for Erie.

You will get ships North Carolina, Chapayev, Scharnhorst, Alabama, Duca degli Abruzzi, and Leningrad together with standard Commanders with three skill points and Port slots. The Commanders' specialization will depend on the ship received. The mission for each of the ships can be found just once. If you get a mission for the ship you already have, you will get a Port slot, Commander, and compensation in credits.

If you already have this Commander, you will receive 12,500 doubloons as compensation.

If something is certain

certain
/ˈsəːt(ə)n/
adjective
adjective: certain
  1. 1.
    able to be firmly relied on to happen or be the case.

...you can rely on it to happen.

Somehow I doubt it, though.....   Perhaps a Russian mistranslation? Or you can rely on it to happen if you buy dozens of crates... :cap_hmm:

[-K-]
[-K-]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
5,747 posts
6,713 battles
12 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

If something is certain

Somehow I doubt it, though.....   Perhaps a Russian mistranslation? Or you can rely on it to happen if you buy dozens of crates... :cap_hmm:

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/a certain

a certain - idiom
Definition of a certain 
1 —used to refer to a quality that is noticed but that is difficult to explain or describe

The house has a certain charm.

• Cool 1

[WOLF9]
Members
1,030 posts
12 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

If something is certain

Certain also means particular, or specific, which is the meaning used in the above. It is their way of saying there is a set chance of getting a combat mission, without saying what that chance actually is. Hint, it is low. Very, very low. Imagine whale poop at the bottom of the Mariana's Trench. Now go lower than that. Imagine the odds of hitting three separate lottery jackpots the same day. Now go lower than that. You have roughly the same odds of finding a lawyer who isn't a verminous waste of genetic material.

• Funny 1

[TF57]
Members
1,238 posts
3,920 battles

Hmmm. Just the way it was used inferred the "certain" probability.  Or a "certain chance."  Which sounds almost like a guaranteed (or highly likely) result.

I'd assume that is the way the average person would read it. (or one new to WG's lootbox crates)

Obviously, knowing WG, I'd assume it was "extremely unlikely" to have a crate, but the way it is worded seems a bit sneaky.

Why not "there is a chance you can also earn x missions" or "it is possible to also earn x missions?"

Members
895 posts
7,700 battles
3 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I'd assume that is the way the average person would read it. (or one new to WG's lootbox crates)

An intelligent person would not. Your avg person, maybe...

4 minutes ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

Why not "there is a chance you can also earn x missions" or "it is possible to also earn x missions?"

It's most likely indicating there is a certain actual probability attached to it. Like 1/100. It doesnt guarantee it. Just to ensure to consumers (also possibility for legal reasons), they are not going to suddenly change that number for what ever reason. Like say CCs suddenly get 50/100 and the random dude get's .5/100.

[AR15]
Beta Testers
98 posts
9,439 battles

had 10 I bought--got literally nothing special--YMMV.

[SRPH]
[SRPH]
Members
449 posts
955 battles

Nope...even Flamu, king of rigged drop rates, opened 15 premium Great 8 crates and got zero ship missions.  He did a lot better on the 15 Halloween crates, which I'm not sure will end up in the shop...no sight of them yet, so maybe you can only earn them?

[TF57]
Members
1,238 posts
3,920 battles

It's most likely indicating there is a certain actual probability attached to it. Like 1/100. It doesnt guarantee it. Just to ensure to consumers (also possibility for legal reasons), they are not going to suddenly change that number for what ever reason. Like say CCs suddenly get 50/100 and the random dude get's .5/100.

In that case, wouldn't it be easier and less obscure to say a "fixed probability" which does not have the extra suggestion of reliability or "certainty" the words ""certain probability " does.

I dunno. The word choice in the store just seems a little unusual.  It's not a phrase you see used to describe what it is describing, if you know what I mean....

It just seems odd.

[WOLF3]
[WOLF3]
Members
387 posts
3,334 battles

I bought a few of them and got a North Carolina mission.

[ERN]
Alpha Tester, In AlfaTesters
1,019 posts
1,419 battles
5 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

7 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

7 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

You keep posting things, but your avatar...grabs...attention...what did you say?

• Funny 1

[BASIN]
[BASIN]
Members
1,934 posts
42 minutes ago, Redwing6 said:

You keep posting things, but your avatar...grabs...attention...what did you say?

:Smile_great::Smile_veryhappy:Lawl

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,703 posts
3,886 battles
6 hours ago, Bonfor said:

Nope...even Flamu, king of rigged drop rates, opened 15 premium Great 8 crates and got zero ship missions. 

If Flamu can't get one from one of those crates, a scrub like me has zero chance.  My luck with crates is BAD.

[TCNNA]
Members
292 posts
10,492 battles
8 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

If Flamu can't get one from one of those crates, a scrub like me has zero chance.  My luck with crates is BAD.

Same here

Members
984 posts
5,698 battles
8 hours ago, Doombeagle said:

Certain also means particular, or specific, which is the meaning used in the above. It is their way of saying...

The problem is in the "It is their way of saying..." part; whoever is translating the Russian source material is doing such a poor job.

It would have been so much more accurate to say "comes with a fixed probability...", or "comes with a specific probability...". But even then, the expression being more accurate would still be conveying nothing. I'm sure the free containers also "came with a fixed/specific/certain probability", but that probability was (probably?) lower than that of the paid-for containers.

Frankly, it is rather pointless, however, to state that a probability is "specific." , or "fixed," or "of some certain value" without stating what the "fixed'", or "specific," or "certain" probability is.

But, back to the linguistic aspect of it, the whole Ovenchicken commander event is rife with obtuse, even painful phrasing.

Regarding the OP's take on the meaning of "certain" in context: If WG meant that getting a ship mission was a "sure thing", there would be no reason to include the word "probability" at all; the only thing "certain" was that there WAS a probability.

6 hours ago, evilleMonkeigh said:

I dunno...The word choice in the store just seems a little unusual.....It just seems odd.

Agreed. I think it's due to translation. I HOPE it's due to translation. I'd hate to think this kind of continuing language bumbling comes from someone writing marketing copy for WG in their native language.

Summoning mods, not for content of, nor conduct in, this thread, but rather to get eyes on WG's need to just frikking do better, to ummm, "Earn [their] Greatness" or "Lure The Victory":

@Radar_X @Gneisenau013

• Cool 1

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
789 posts
5,772 battles
1 hour ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

The problem is in the "It is their way of saying..." part; whoever is translating the Russian source material is doing such a poor job.

It would have been so much more accurate to say "comes with a fixed probability...", or "comes with a specific probability...". But even then, the expression being more accurate would still be conveying nothing. I'm sure the free containers also "came with a fixed/specific/certain probability", but that probability was (probably?) lower than that of the paid-for containers.

Frankly, it is rather pointless, however, to state that a probability is "specific." , or "fixed," or "of some certain value" without stating what the "fixed'", or "specific," or "certain" probability is.

But, back to the linguistic aspect of it, the whole Ovenchicken commander event is rife with obtuse, even painful phrasing.

Regarding the OP's take on the meaning of "certain" in context: If WG meant that getting a ship mission was a "sure thing", there would be no reason to include the word "probability" at all; the only thing "certain" was that there WAS a probability.

Agreed. I think it's due to translation. I HOPE it's due to translation. I'd hate to think this kind of continuing language bumbling comes from someone writing marketing copy for WG in their native language.

Summoning mods, not for content of, nor conduct in, this thread, but rather to get eyes on WG's need to just frikking do better, to ummm, "Earn [their] Greatness" or "Lure The Victory":

@Radar_X @Gneisenau013

I also am wary of the word "certain" in the store listing description.

How about the word "certain" gets dropped from the phrasing?

#anchorsaweigh

• Cool 1

Members
984 posts
5,698 battles
10 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

I think that would be an improvement. A further step toward improved clarity might be to have wording saying "..a higher probability of....than the probability offered in the free containers"

• Cool 1

[H_]
Members
696 posts
10 minutes ago, Gneisenau013 said:

I also am wary of the word "certain" in the store listing description.

#anchorsaweigh

Greetings !

At some point, WG is going to face "rejection" if the concept of "lottery rewards" simply has no real value....  I'm at the "what's the point" of investing in the game further point.  Every Lottery style event, I've done all that is possible and have yet to see but a small sample of the "free missions that involve a lottery mechanic..."   A very small sample.  Hundreds of hours for nothing....

The forums are all about I "got this ship" and "got that mission" and I'm wondering: what the actual percentages of winning is?  Because, no one I play the game with, save one time, "won the lottery ....."

A suggestion:  let's stop screwing around with lottery's...  I'd love to see WG, if the decide to give ships away, do so in a skill based way......  I'd take the time to earn those ships........and, coincidentally spend the time and PT to do so.....  Otherwise, there is so little value, I've gone back to other games that do this so very well and they are where I am now playing more often....  Those "other games" have a better Return-on-Investment and my time is valuable.  WG needs to look at this as a competitive business........if their Halloween event isn't as ROI positive as those other games, my time goes where the investment of that time returns actual results.....

Sorry, I'd love to spend more time here but it just isn't "value added" to do so !   Nor, do I have the "luck" to win that lottery.......

[WGA]
Administrator, Developers
789 posts
5,772 battles
5 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Greetings !

At some point, WG is going to face "rejection" if the concept of "lottery rewards" simply has no real value....  I'm at the "what's the point" of investing in the game further point.  Every Lottery style event, I've done all that is possible and have yet to see but a small sample of the "free missions that involve a lottery mechanic..."   A very small sample.  Hundreds of hours for nothing....

The forums are all about I "got this ship" and "got that mission" and I'm wondering: what the actual percentages of winning is?  Because, no one I play the game with, save one time, "won the lottery ....."

A suggestion:  let's stop screwing around with lottery's...  I'd love to see WG, if the decide to give ships away, do so in a skill based way......  I'd take the time to earn those ships........and, coincidentally spend the time and PT to do so.....  Otherwise, there is so little value, I've gone back to other games that do this so very well and they are where I am now playing more often....  Those "other games" have a better Return-on-Investment and my time is valuable.  WG needs to look at this as a competitive business........if their Halloween event isn't as ROI positive as those other games, my time goes where the investment of that time returns actual results.....

Sorry, I'd love to spend more time here but it just isn't "value added" to do so !   Nor, do I have the "luck" to win that lottery.......

That's fair. I am still working my way to get all of the collection pieces so I can unlock the Ovechkin US captain.

If you do win the lottery, make sure you announce it here and invite everyone to your celebration party on board the HMCS Haida outside of Toronto!

#anchorsaweigh

[LOU1]
Members
2,871 posts
7,996 battles
13 minutes ago, Asym_KS said:

Greetings !

You should at least hang around for the Santa crates - they will most likely make up for the rest of the year.  Not sure what you are referring to with “hundreds of hours for nothing.”  If it concerns earning crates and not receiving a mission, you did get flags/camos from them, which is all I ever really expect.  Also, I have quite a few ships earned through missions available to everyone, not sure why you say they are not available.  Note that several of the ships in the crates are tech tree ships that can be earned by skill and time - just what you asked for.  Actually all of the ships, outside of Premium ships, are available to be earned for free.  You can play all the way through all of the tech trees without spending a cent.  I buy crates for the flags, more so than for the ships/missions.  For the RN event, however, I did want the free ships and ended up getting all four.  Wish there was something I could say about your luck.  Must be a long bad streak.

[WOLF9]
Members
1,030 posts

Honestly, I cannot believe this is such a problem. I read the notification and it was perfectly clear to me what WG meant. I am never shy about criticizing the company's poor choices, and there have been many of them, but they did nothing wrong here. If you read the article in question and thought it meant you would automatically get a mission for a ship, then you really need to stop playing so many video games and read more.

• Funny 2

[H_]
Members
696 posts
5 hours ago, ExploratorOne said:

You should at least hang around for the Santa crates - they will most likely make up for the rest of the year.  Not sure what you are referring to with “hundreds of hours for nothing.”  If it concerns earning crates and not receiving a mission, you did get flags/camos from them, which is all I ever really expect.  Also, I have quite a few ships earned through missions available to everyone, not sure why you say they are not available.  Note that several of the ships in the crates are tech tree ships that can be earned by skill and time - just what you asked for.  Actually all of the ships, outside of Premium ships, are available to be earned for free.  You can play all the way through all of the tech trees without spending a cent.  I buy crates for the flags, more so than for the ships/missions.  For the RN event, however, I did want the free ships and ended up getting all four.  Wish there was something I could say about your luck.  Must be a long bad streak.

What you said is true !  I could go up the tech tree......but, that isn't the point.  I.E., in the Navy mission, I only was lucky enough for the lower two ships....  Even with purchasing a lot of crates.  Playing events for those "lottery ships" and never getting the missions: those 'hundreds of hours...'that, sometimes seem an eternity.

Yes, flags come in handy and are appreciated but, yet again, the goal are the "ships or Captains that are prizes...."

I have no luck in the gambling sense and in the lottery sense....  It is what it is.....  The events are what makes this game playable.  Otherwise, I'll go back to the other games I play.  I'll be around at least till after the new year....  I have close personal friends in our clan and family that recruited me into this game.  Our clan is almost gone now........  I'm not even going to try the other tech trees because the grind is terrible......  One Nation's ships is enough for me and the "gift ships" I received when I joined the game last January (German: Graff, Scharnhorst, Tirpitz and a few others.)  that's more than I'd ever play; and, until WG get's their "strategic vision" back in line with their Value Proposition, I'm backing way down in hours played and money spent.......  They appear to be headed into the Cold War and higher technologies.  I play other naval games that are far better for that tech that I have played for a long time.  Good hunting !