You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
S7CentNickel

Jean Bart/ Alaska soon?

30 comments in this topic

[MVKS]
Members
121 posts
2,682 battles

Any idea when the Jean Bart or the Alaska will be dropped?  I've got my 750k Free XP and 180k coal ready for either or.  I want to pick up the Musashi and maybe the Salem but I already have my DM and 80k from the Worcester so probably wouldn't be wise.  So question is; any idea if they will drop for Free XP or Coal and when?  I know its purely speculation but I would hate to burn the wrong resource getting the Musashi.  Thoughts?

[HINON]
Supertester
18,921 posts
12,454 battles

We simply don't know. Anything else is pure speculation, and I wouldn't hang my FXP or coal up on that.

[MORSV]
Beta Testers
205 posts
2,521 battles

Nothing , no news official or otherwise

Members
3,635 posts
13,459 battles

I'd like to see Alaska in my port but I don't expect to see her made available before the end of the year. Little White Mouse gave a early review of Alaska that showed her to be a pretty good ship but I'm worried that WG may nerf her before release.

[TBW]
Members
6,328 posts
11,884 battles

It's like a father waiting for his baby to be born, if it's not a cesarean section you never know.

[-1]
Beta Testers
1,797 posts
18,709 battles

Ship junkies need their fix ?

[MORSV]
Beta Testers
205 posts
2,521 battles
31 minutes ago, bandits86 said:

What currency to buy with? FreeXp or doubloon s?

I dont think anyone thinks it is going to cost doubloons. Everyone thinks it will be FXP or Coal or Steel (steel seems to be the least likely).

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,457 battles

Hopefully FXP. I've got 1.5mil waiting for Jean Bart and Alaska. Saving all coal for the new tier X French BB (Hopefully). That one might be a steel/CB ship.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
3 hours ago, smf117 said:

Hopefully FXP. I've got 1.5mil waiting for Jean Bart and Alaska. Saving all coal for the new tier X French BB (Hopefully). That one might be a steel/CB ship.

Same here.

Man I hope they don't make the T10 BB a steel ship. 

[ICOP]
Members
785 posts
3,108 battles

Nearly reached the 750k mark, was leaning towards the Musashi.  However now I'll wait to see how the deal with Alaska.

[SRBL]
Members
79 posts

With that much available I'd get Musashi. I can't imagine JB or Alaska wont be around long enough for you to re-earn coal or FXP. Plus the Mush is a solid earner.

Did you do the Yamamoto mission?

Edited by Tom_Greg
  • Cool 1

[SCCC]
Members
705 posts
5,457 battles

Both will likely be around for quite some time. Kron has been around for awhile now.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles
40 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Man I hope they don't make the T10 BB a steel ship. 

Stalingrad offers a dread premonition of this.

OTOH, if they can sell one Tier 10 premium ship for coal they can surely sell two. Though given that this one will be a battleship rather than a cruiser, I can easily see the coal price being well north of 300K.

If there's any other ship I'm worried will be for steel, it's the Alaska.* She is, after all, the American answer to Stalingrad. Bourgogne is just an uptiered Alsace, IIRC, and I can't see something like that being locked behind three seasons of Tier 10 ranked.

* = My worry is mostly on behalf of others. I'm actually not that seriously interested in acquiring her. If I want a premium cruiser with major-calibre guns, I've already got the Scharnhorst at Tier 7 (even if WG does call her a BB there).

[UFFA]
Members
525 posts
29 battles
1 minute ago, smf117 said:

Both will likely be around for quite some time. Kron has been around for awhile now.

Nothing drives spending like artificial scarcity.

[PVE]
[PVE]
Members
5,374 posts
10,157 battles
35 minutes ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Stalingrad offers a dread premonition of this.

OTOH, if they can sell one Tier 10 premium ship for coal they can surely sell two. Though given that this one will be a battleship rather than a cruiser, I can easily see the coal price being well north of 300K.

If there's any other ship I'm worried will be for steel, it's the Alaska.* She is, after all, the American answer to Stalingrad. Bourgogne is just an uptiered Alsace, IIRC, and I can't see something like that being locked behind three seasons of Tier 10 ranked.

* = My worry is mostly on behalf of others. I'm actually not that seriously interested in acquiring her. If I want a premium cruiser with major-calibre guns, I've already got the Scharnhorst at Tier 7 (even if WG does call her a BB there).

Yeah I worry they will lock the T10 BB behind a mode that only a few play and can do well enough in to earn the resource. I hate how they are doing this. They need to come up with some other reward for that purpose and stop making it ships. They should just have the ships in general be available to all and then offer a special camo or skin with special bonuses and perks for the reward to use on a specific ship. That gives people who need a prize, goal, or just an ego boost/something to brag about for what they do in the game their golden ring and let's everyone have access to the ships in the game. In a game about ships make the ships available to every player not a select few. I would actually love that one but if it is steel then barring some kind of miracle run on SC's w/ steel in them I will never see it. 

BUT, Salem is coal so it is possible it will be too. I am not sure the cost will be more because it is a BB vs Salem as a CA though. At least in the FXP ships tier is what matters not type. All T9, BB and CA, are 750K. Hopefully the ship will be 240K coal like Salem. I am well on my way back to having enough if it is coal after getting Salem.

If they make Alaska a steel ship it might be the dumbest move I will ever see them make. The outrage and rioting that will take place, at least on NA, if they do that will be epic.  Even WG can't screw that up can they? I will get it if it is FXP as I have 1.5 Million+ already and god knows how much more I could convert. I am not a rabid fanatic about it but would join the mob if they make it steel just on principal. Stop hiding ships behind resources most can't get and for goodness sake don't do it with such a sought after ship. Would be business suicide.

• Cool 3

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles
1 minute ago, AdmiralThunder said:

Stop hiding ships behind resources most can't get

The irony here is that if you are free to play, it is still possible (if not as easy) to rank out enough times to get Stalingrad, if you have enough time and bloody-minded persistence. That being said...

3 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

If they make Alaska a steel ship it might be the dumbest move I will ever see them make. The outrage and rioting that will take place, at least on NA, if they do that will be epic. 

Yes, absolutely. Agree completely. I call Bourgogne for coal or steel, Jean Bart for coal, Alaska for free XP (with a coal option coming online after three or four patches). I accept that the latter two could end up being reversed (JB for FXP, Alaska for coal).

5 minutes ago, AdmiralThunder said:

and god knows how much more I could convert.

I think I have at least 1.5 million FXP locked behind doubloons. If for some incredibly strange reason the Missouri ever popped its head back up above the parapet for even an instant, I'd seriously consider laying money down to convert XP and get it. But only if they GUARANTEED the original earning potential.

Members
984 posts
5,698 battles
7 hours ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

If there's any other ship I'm worried will be for steel, it's the Alaska.

I see no need to worry on that front. Stalingrad (the only "steel-only" ship to date) was billed as a "reward ship" from  the outset (or at least early on after announcement). Likewise, Flint and Black were touted as reward ships early on. With Alaska, no such designation has been made.

As far as what "currency" goes for the upcoming ships:

1. Every T9 premium (outside of reward ships) has been available via Free XP upon release.

2. Free XP is a monetized path. Currently, coal is not. (Now, WG can monetize coal anytime they want, of course. Remember Go Navy Sharks/Eagles premium containers? They offered coal.)

3. Steel is too indirect to monetize unless they change it significantly. Right now, steel is behind a T10 grind wall; the only hope for monetization there is that it induces players to lay out for premium time to grind faster, maybe premium ships to get captains ramped up faster. But with Ranked Lite, and this testing of Clan battles light, WG is turning down the faucet on Steel availability. You can't induced the customer to chase the carrot, if you stop dangling the carrot in front of them.

So, I think the Free XP path is likely.

But there are other points:

1. Update 7.11 will mark the end of the Halloween events, but not the end of the RN DDs event. Will coal be monetized (like during Go Navy) during that phase?

2. Ship coupons for coal via the arsenal reset on 12/24. Not a bad time for that to happen, particularly if you've planned on a coal monetization event for the 4/5 weeks prior.

6 hours ago, AdmiralThunder said:

If they make Alaska a steel ship it might be the dumbest move I will ever see them make.

Agreed. My foregoing thoughts might make it sound like I have no worries at all. I think the odds are against it...but I am wary.

Edited by MannyD_of_The_Sea
spelling, grammar

[ARGSY]
Members
5,781 posts
3,942 battles
1 minute ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

I see no need to worry on that front. Stalingrad (the only "steel-only" ship to date) was billed as a "reward ship" from  the outset (or at least early on after announcement). Likewise, Flint and Black were touted as reward ships early on. With Alaska, no such designation has been made.

This is a good point. While anything is possible, I cannot fault your logic.

2 minutes ago, MannyD_of_The_Sea said:

Free XP is a monetized path.

Yes and no. With the qualification that some of my free XP has been earned on premium ships that I paid money for, I have never directly spent money to obtain free XP, and I have four hundred thousand of it after buying the Nelson in July. Granted that a lot of this is from Community Contributor containers (thank you @Lord_Zath) and very well timed supercontainers, but still... no money paid for conversion, and quite a lot under my belt.

Monetizable, yes; monetized by definition, no.

[-K-]
WoWS Wiki Editor, Members, Supertester, WoWS Community Contributors
4,675 posts
15,171 battles

Yep it's very true you can earn these ships w/o paying for them...  I myself ground out the FXP necessary for Missouri over several weeks of focused effort...  same for when Musashi and Nelson came out.  Especially with all the special flags and camos it's not hard to maximize FXP gain.  For example, last night I earned over 29,000 FXP per Clan Battle win thanks to all the flags and camo.  

As to the whether it's fair or not for WG to offer ships for FXP...  they do deserve to earn money, right?  If people want to shortcut their grind by using doubloons to convert FXP (which can also be earned in-game via Ranked for example), then I don't see an issue with that.  Ultimately, it's up to the players to decide how they wish to spend their money :).

Edited by Lord_Zath
  • Cool 1

[FOG]
Members
270 posts
4,562 battles
11 hours ago, berree said:

I dont think anyone thinks it is going to cost doubloons. Everyone thinks it will be FXP or Coal or Steel (steel seems to be the least likely).

Not to disagree with your statement, but upon hearing the "never no longer means never" statement pertaining to subs I wondered if this phrase will now also apply to the statement that Tier IX and X ships will "never" be sold in the Premium Shop????

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,938 posts
6,440 battles
13 hours ago, S7CentNickel said:

Any idea when the Jean Bart or the Alaska will be dropped?  I've got my 750k Free XP and 180k coal ready for either or.  I want to pick up the Musashi and maybe the Salem but I already have my DM and 80k from the Worcester so probably wouldn't be wise.  So question is; any idea if they will drop for Free XP or Coal and when?  I know its purely speculation but I would hate to burn the wrong resource getting the Musashi.  Thoughts?

you and me both, im hoping that Alaska is the Free Xp, replacing Kron like Musashi replaced the Missouri, and Jean Bart being the coal ship, because iirc, WG said they didnt want to do anymore Free XP BBs for a while

[PVE]
[PVE]
Beta Testers
1,560 posts
3,739 battles
1 hour ago, Ensign_Cthulhu said:

Why should it? Tier 9 free xp ships are all 750k free xp despite there being a cruiser along with battleships.