You need to play a total of 5 battles to post in this section.
General_Strom

American Cruiser Line tier 8 which one should I start with?

17 comments in this topic

[AK-47]
Beta Testers
242 posts
2,691 battles

American Cruiser Line which one should I start with?  I have both the tier 8s so which one first?

[E-E]
[E-E]
Members
15,677 posts
14,042 battles

Really depends.

Tier VIII Cleveland is the Zenith of the USN CL Line in terms of a balance of stealth, radar range, firepower.  She's an awesome CL with tools to answer a variety of problems.

Need a CL with 152mm DPM?  Cleveland does that.

Need a CL with stealth and good radar range?  Cleveland is the last USN CL in the tech tree that can do that (Seattle and Worcester radar got nerfed to Cleveland's Tier VIII Radar).

No other USN CL Cruiser is as stealthy as Cleveland's 9.1km stealth buil.

Need a nice sailing CL with turrets that keep up with her maneuvering?  Cleveland does that.

Need a CL with Hydro to help the team?  Cleveland does that.

Need a CL with powerful AA?  Cleveland does that.

The only things she can't do is smoke, torps, and high spike damage on ships larger than Destroyers.

Tier VIII Baltimore is a well balanced USN CA.  Powerful AA, Radar access.  Very respectable 9.7km detection but worse than Cleveland's 9.1km when both are in Stealth Build.  No torps, no smoke.  If she wants Hydro she has to drop Defensive Fire.  However, Baltimore has an ace up her sleeve, something USN CAs get:

1.  Favorable AP bounce angles

http://wiki.wargaming.net/en/Ship:Gunnery_%26_Armor_Penetration#Armor-Piercing

2.  Access to hard hitting SHS AP shells

She still gets a very respectable 10 second reload.  A very good blend on ROF with Power.

There's also the Tier X ships both lead into.  Worcester sits at the end of Cleveland's road, but her Radar got nerfed pretty hard.  Des Moines sits at the end of Baltimore's road, and she's still just fine and untouched.  She has 5.5 second reloading 203mm guns with SHS AP shell access.  203mm+ armed Cruisers also doesn't need IFHE to do decently, so you can tell IFHE to f--k off and use the 4pts for something else more important and useful.

Edited by HazeGrayUnderway
  • Cool 1

[OO7]
Alpha Tester
6,704 posts
3,468 battles

The CAs get access to being disappointed once you play every other Cruiser line past Tier 8.

The CL line gets access to being good with limited range, and good old narrow engagement envelopes to excel.

Also the Seattle will make you question if life is worth living. 

• Cool 1

[MIA-A]
[MIA-A]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
2,012 posts
7,682 battles

CAs if you like citadels (giving and receiving), CLs if you like fires. Both are equally good otherwise.

[-WPG-]
Members
743 posts
3,145 battles

I have both T10s with over a hundred battles in each (primarily clan battles). I'd recommend the heavy cruisers if T10 is your goal. The Worcester is more fun, but with the recent radar nerfs to the Seattle and Worcester, the DM is the more competitive ship. Worcester's specialty was hunting DDs, but it can no longer do that safely in open water. 

Plus, since the Worcester basically requires IFHE, CE, and AFT, you're very limited in your skill choices. DM is a bit more flexible since it doesn't need IFHE. 

[SSG]
Alpha Tester
3,385 posts
7,979 battles

Personally, I prefer the CA. It has just enough armour that it sometimes forgets it's a cruiser. And a BB gives you a broadside, or your insane as I am and manage to get close and play the out run the gun game, it can really ruin a BB players day. 

[WUDPS]
Beta Testers, In AlfaTesters
4,744 posts
4,540 battles

The Des Memes is great if you like paddling people of all shapes and sizes with radar and a stupid good 8 inch reload.

Woost is a one trick pony...lets throw HE at people...with radar...but it's made of paper. 

Minotaur is better in my opinion than Woost in every way....get the Des then get the Mino.

[HINON]
[HINON]
Members
4,974 posts
6,460 battles
2 hours ago, General_Strom said:

American Cruiser Line which one should I start with?  I have both the tier 8s so which one first?

CL line for Dakka dakka, CA for powerful Super Heavy AP, all depends on your playstyle

[AK-47]
Beta Testers
242 posts
2,691 battles

Played my first battle in the Baltimore. Did not get to fire on one target and was killed in one shoot by a BB I could not see. What a waste of flags etc WG THIS IS NOT FUN .  Tier 10s just EAT the tier 8s same issue you do with WoT    DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS.  I left WOT because of tier 8s having to always fight tier 10s.

• Cool 1
  • Bad 1

[-WPG-]
Members
743 posts
3,145 battles
22 minutes ago, General_Strom said:

Played my first battle in the Baltimore. Did not get to fire on one target and was killed in one shoot by a BB I could not see. What a waste of flags etc WG THIS IS NOT FUN .  Tier 10s just EAT the tier 8s same issue you do with WoT    DO SOMETHING TO FIX THIS.  I left WOT because of tier 8s having to always fight tier 10s.

Don't sail in straight lines.  If your PT is indicating someone is targeting you, WASD and modify your speed.  Don't fire until you know where the enemies are. 

Baltimore is a lot better at T8 than was the New Orleans. T8 matchmaking problem is overstated, and isn't going to change anytime soon, so either suffer through it or free XP past it as much as you can. 

• Cool 1

[4HIM]
Members
1,720 posts
3,905 battles
2 hours ago, Madwolf05 said:

Also the Seattle will make you question if life is worth living. 

The Buffalo Chip is also making me do the same.  And people tell me Seattle is worse.  I may need commit seppuku once I unlock Seattle if that's true.  

Members
3,649 posts
13,511 battles
26 minutes ago, ZARDOZ_II said:

The Buffalo Chip is also making me do the same.  And people tell me Seattle is worse.  I may need commit seppuku once I unlock Seattle if that's true.  

I FXPd past Seattle to Woo-stah and regret having wasted the FXP. The sauce has excellent guns when you can hit anything but she's more squishy than Minotaur. (I cant hit anything that's moving beyond 8 klicks with Minotaur either) I've only driven Worcester in Co-Op and I wasn't impressed. IMHO, as a tier 10 USN Cruiser, Des Moines is much better than Worcester.

[AK-47]
Beta Testers
242 posts
2,691 battles
13 hours ago, DouglasMacAwful said:

Don't sail in straight lines.  If your PT is indicating someone is targeting you, WASD and modify your speed.  Don't fire until you know where the enemies are. 

Baltimore is a lot better at T8 than was the New Orleans. T8 matchmaking problem is overstated, and isn't going to change anytime soon, so either suffer through it or free XP past it as much as you can. 

Sad part I like the fact that a mag hit can blow a ship up. It was just the third battle in a row that the second I got spotted I died within a minute. Not fun truly.  I did not even get to fire a shot so I was not spotted due to firing my guns.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,865 posts
3,984 battles
14 hours ago, General_Strom said:

Did not get to fire on one target and was killed in one shoot by a BB I could not see.

When this happens to me at T8 or above in unfamiliar ships, I tend to put it down to gross carelessness on my part, the equation for which is (Early Death) = Noob(Fail x Derp)

• Funny 1

[ICOP]
Members
812 posts
3,164 battles

Both lines have similar play styles with there shell trajectory, however CA line with STS AP shells can provide an edge depending on the situation.

Members
147 posts
2,993 battles
14 hours ago, General_Strom said:

Similar situation, I was covering a flank early on in a Tier 10 battle.  I fortunately I had teammates to help (at least they provided something else for the reds to shoot at), they took enough heat off that I survived.  That's something you can't always count on in random groups, but worked out for me.  Being bottom tier in a T10 battle is  more than just difficult.  My new rule is never go anywhere alone in a T8 ship, and don't be the first spotted if possible.  This means I'm going to be more passive in most situations, and less aggressive early on, this seems to be the price I pay for being bottom tier so often.  I'm just getting my first tier 8 ship, Cleveland (except the ARP one), so still learning how to survive in this meta.  Earlier experience at tier 8 has led me to hesitate on going past Tier 7, now I'm getting close on a couple of other cruisers, so beginning to learn the ropes.

[ARGSY]
Members
5,865 posts
3,984 battles
35 minutes ago, HayabusaZ said:

still learning how to survive in this meta.  Earlier experience at tier 8 has led me to hesitate on going past Tier 7

Been there, done that. My initial pattern with the Edinburgh was:

1) Die early and horribly in very many games. Use words beginning with F and C an awful lot.

2) Gradually get better at surviving and doing some damage, even begin to sink the occasional ship and take the occasional cap.

3) Get Stockholm Syndrome/Learn to Love Big Brother, to the point where it becomes my most-played ship.

I still don't do that well at Tier 8, which is why I've dropped down to T5/T6 for most of these Royal Navy tasks. I don't get as much time to play every night as I used to (and will probably get NO time at all on Halloween night, putting me a day behind), and so I need to make the most of my playing time. When this ship grind is over, I'll be able to take more chances again. The exception is when all I have left to do is cash or XP grinds, where you always get SOMETHING out of the battle no matter how badly you do (because the cash grind counts only what you brought in and ignores the horrendous service fees).